• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

RagnarokIV

Yes, you can forfeit by talking to one of the people at the counter. You don't have to play at all.
Thank you!!
Oh my friend, you're still pretty early in the game lol. If you think it's filler now.
rise of the footsoldier essex GIF

SkylineRKR

that makes sense then. ;) I think fort condor is completely option though right? Unlike the original where it was part of the main quest.

You could skip Fort Condor in the original. Or to be specific, you could just go out and battle the easy miniboss for the huge materia, and even get a good reward for it as well as not losing any gil.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the last chapter. I really like the game but man they drag some things on for so long.
I clocked close to 40 hours. It’s a super impressive thing to see this game remade, but sometimes it felt like it took longer than it should have. I don’t see myself putting 100 hours into it. It was good and I’ll look forward to part 3.

Hats off to anyone who Platinum this. I’d rather replay a classic JRPG.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate cait and I hate his gameplay. Both puzzles and fights.
And the game can sometimes rely too much on dodging and parrying with no animations to back it up. There is no wind up to most attacks. They either happen instantly or after delay. Even when I expect something I find it very difficult to dodge or parry. Sekiro is ez compared.
That is only a problem in very few fights tho. Normally you pound fools with all your guys and it’s easier than remake.

ebevan91

Damn I need to start exploring more especially in the main quests. Some party members only have 2 weapons while others already have 4. I looked online and saw I've missed about 5 so far lol.

Reactions: Isa

TheAssist

So I thought I might beat the game today. But apparently I spent 9 hours at the saucer racing chocobos, doing some virtual boxing, playing QB, racing my motorcycle, getting into fights as a frog, fighting space aliens. Oh and I whacked boxes in the dustbowl.

I see some people complaining about the minigames, but man, I live for that shit. There are some not so great ones, but I think that depends on who you are asking. I like most of them and I just enjoy spending time in these places. Gold Saucer really makes me feel like a child getting into a amusement park.

And if you dont like them, most of them take like literal minutes of your time to beat for the story.
Also, I just realized how amazing the Corel region music is. Damn. Sounds like adventure.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hate cait and I hate his gameplay. Both puzzles and fights.
And the game can sometimes rely too much on dodging and parrying with no animations to back it up. There is no wind up to most attacks. They either happen instantly or after delay. Even when I expect something I find it very difficult to dodge or parry. Sekiro is ez compared.
That is only a problem in very few fights tho. Normally you pound fools with all your guys and it’s easier than remake.
His move set started off as being fun, but I found him pretty useless towards the end of the game. Using a ATB bar to get on his mount, use another bar to attack which gets rid of his mount, and it just took a while to get going. The dice was interesting at first but during a boss fight it’s just a boring way to gamble your time during combat. Aerith would probably be just as useless if it wasn’t for her healing spells and limit break.

I must not care about who I went on a date with. I didn’t have any encounters in my logs.
There are so many things I like about Rebirth. The boss fights were awesome. I didn’t touch the side stuff or the card game. The game was way better than Remake. I did find myself wishing they would have shortened certain parts and the game felt like it dragged on and on and on. I was ready for it to be done hours before it actually happened.

I loved the final part. That was cool to watch. Square sorta killed my mood by the time it got there. I thought Suikoden II or even Final Fantasy V got to the end quicker than Rebirth did.

I want to love this game, but it felt like it had so much filler to it. The meat of the game was solid. I had a lot more fun with this than I did with FF16. I can’t wait for Part 3 to see how it all ends. A part of me wants it to end. They’re going all out on these finales. God only knows what it’ll be like in part 3. A 4 hour long boss battle? lol

A big step in the right direction. The mini games and slow walking sections take away from the overall game. I wouldn’t rate it the best RPG, but it’s definitely getting there. It’s one of the best newer JRPGs I’ve played. It makes me want to play the original or an older Final Fantasy game. I doubt I’ll replay it anytime soon. Same with the Remake. I’ll definitely preorder part 3.

Last edited:

Kings Field

Just hit chapter 12. Skipping all cutscenes, mini games, and side quests. I’m at 16 hours. I don’t have time to sit and watch 45 minutes of cutscenes per chapter.

The combat, music, level design, bosses, etc is a 9/10 so far. The rest of it is just too much filler for my tastes. I can see the appeal of it for fans of the originals and for people who love that stuff but it’s not for me.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Just hit chapter 12. Skipping all cutscenes, mini games, and side quests. I’m at 16 hours. I don’t have time to sit and watch 45 minutes of cutscenes per chapter.

The combat, music, level design, bosses, etc is a 9/10 so far. The rest of it is just too much filler for my tastes. I can see the appeal of it for fans of the originals and for people who love that stuff but it’s not for me.

Too much filler for someone who is actually skipping it? What’s the issue exactly?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Too much fuller for someone who is actually skipping it? What’s the issue exactly?
I’m also confused, is story is now considered “filler”? Everything is considered “filler” with these people which makes me question if they even enjoy playing games or just finish it as fast as possible like chore list that needs to be done.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I’m also confused, is story is now considered “filler” now? Everything is considered “filler” with these people which makes me question if they even enjoy playing games or just finish it as fast possible like chore list that needs to be done.

I think finishing a game as fast as possible to then mindlessly move onto the next is how a lot of people play games these days. So a chore list as you say. I know a few people whose enjoyment of a game is tied down to how easy or difficult it easy to platinum.

If it's an easy platinum they will prioritise those games first and tend to be positive about those games. If it's a difficult platinum they'll put it on the back burner and lean negative with their opinion. Always boggles my mind.

Makes me think the kind of game design I enjoy is doomed with these kind of habits/trends.

Last edited:
Dude's playing an RPG and skipping cutscenes and story content. WTF? Meanwhile I am nearly 50 hours in, just made it to Gold Saucer, and having an absolute blast just taking in the atmosphere of the environments and enjoying my time with a cast I love.

I am astounded more and more the further I get, just how much detail and love was put into this game. There are so many little touches, references, and jokes that make the world feel alive. And somehow nearly all the minigames are great.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Best way to play it without risking spoilers!

Reaseru

Square Enix clearly stated during the first remake development that this trilogy of FF VII was going to be a reimagining of the original, as it was going to expand the world, the characters, and many more...and not a 1:1 version of the original, and now some people are complaining of fillers.

It's not fillers because this is not FF VII 1:1 REMAKE. New characters, a deviated story, and new things to do.

If you want to play FFVII story as you know it, go play the remaster.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Fuck me dude, what's even the point of playing it.
I've never understood "I dont have time to play *insert game*." It's not going anywhere, you dont have to finish it in a week.

Boneless

Just playing this with a constant grin on my face, the seventh "HOPE YOU FOUND WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR SIR", the shinra manager in costa del sol, the qb tournament guy that gets more decorated as you progress through the tournament, the party interactions, what a great adventure.

Last edited:

Kings Field

Reading through some of these comments makes it seem like us speed runners are ruining your game for not wanting to sit through cutscene after cutscene after cutscene.

Calm down nerds. My play through isn’t effecting your fantasy of motorboating a teenager. Go cuddle your Tifa pillows. It will be alright.

TheAssist

I think finishing a game as fast as possible to then mindlessly move onto the next is how a lot of people play games these days. So a chore list as you say. I know a few people whose enjoyment of a game is tied down to how easy or difficult it easy to platinum.

If it's an easy platinum they will prioritise those games first and tend to be positive about those games. If it's a difficult platinum they'll put it on the back burner and lean negative with their opinion. Always boggles my mind.

Makes me think the kind of game design I enjoy is doomed with these kind of habits/trends.
I mean Sony had to remove these 99 cent easy to platinum asset flip games from their store because people were actually buying that shit for... I don't know weird reasons.

I can understand why some people might be turned off by the mini games. Usually I play games on a very tight time schedule, so I only want to see the best content the game has to offer and that's usually not the side activities. And if the game then forces you to engage with these systems, its not a great look for some. The Yakuza games sometimes have this problem were they basically money wall you and you have to engage in the money making mini games for like an hour just to progress the story.
But for this game I want to take all the time I have. Now I do want to finish within the week, since the vacation is over after that, but that shouldn't be a problem. Though I am 114 hours in now :D. The last time I played a game for this long was the Witcher 3 in 2015.

So yeah I get it. But the mini games are still over relatively quickly and most are even optional. So I think its a weak point of criticism. If you dont want them, dont engage with them. As for the quality of games, I think many of them are actually really well made and have a surprising depth to them. Tell me the last game that had mini games of the same caliber as Fort Condor, Chocobo Racing, Gears and Gambits and Queens Blood all in one game. The Yakuza games are usually slightly more superficial. Also all these mini games come with a little story or side quest (again, taken straight from the Yakuza games).
The rest of the mini games are fine, its take it or leave it, but I had fun with them and trying to S rank all of them.

But man, Gears and Gambits on hard mode is ... well hard. Harder then Fort Condor imho. But also its super satisfying when your strategy actually works. This might just be the best thing that came out of FF 12 haha. Though one fair point of criticism is that you can not switch the position of your gambits. Which makes it really tedious to set up your robots, even if you just want to switch to gambits. That was possible in 12. Kind of disensentivises you from trying out new strategies.

Madflavor

Lol at everyone getting so offended. I play games how I play games. I’m not sitting through 40 hours of cutscenes or playing 10 hours of mini games. Fuck that. I’m not punching a time card for any game.

Like I said, good game otherwise. Hope you all enjoy your 100+ hours.

Nobody is offended, just surprised you'd skip all the cutscenes in a Jrpg, when storytelling is a Jrpg's bread and butter. It's like ordering a burger and taking the beef patty out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, throwing boxes with certain person is hard🤣

If you are at the point I think you are .. here's a tip.

Caith Sith in Shinra Mansion ?

Aim at the light 2 pips ahead of where your box is. It will almost guaranteed always hit.

Was getting my ass kicked in one of the hardest arena challenges last night (TEN TONBERRIES WTF) so I gave up and went to bed. Wake up this morning and it suddenly hit me that I have accessories that nullify Instant Death. Sooo much easier now lol

That is the fight where I realized the importance of having Revive materia on each of my party members, lol.

Last edited:

Mindman

So that patch that the director mentioned ages ago was probably fake right??

Someone needs to follow up with him on that...

Am I the only one who loves combat with Aerith? It's so simple, but I just love ranged attacks. I have a blast just hanging back firing magic. Since people are mentioning how light hearted the game is I'm assuming and hoping that moment won't be coming until the next game which is good for me.

The game is great, just a fun adventure through a fantasy world with your friends. I'm really surprised how naturally fun and interesting the Judon region has been to explore. I tried to stay on the road and was constantly distracted by different stuff. I continue to have very opposite thoughts to what people are mentioning as negatives.

Am I the only one who loves combat with Aerith? It's so simple, but I just love ranged attacks. I have a blast just hanging back firing magic. Since people are mentioning how light hearted the game is I'm assuming and hoping that moment won't be coming until the next game which is good for me.

The game is great, just a fun adventure through a fantasy world with your friends. I'm really surprised how naturally fun and interesting the Judon region has been to explore. I tried to stay on the road and was constantly distracted by different stuff. I continue to have very opposite thoughts to what people are mentioning as negatives.
Yeah, I like her in Remake and Rebirth. She's my healer/mage and good for ranged when needed, plus the occasional healing wind can be a lifesaver. Almost always in my party!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So that patch that the director mentioned ages ago was probably fake right??

Someone needs to follow up with him on that...
netflix GIF by The Umbrella Academy

Not only do they have to actually develop said patch (my guess is they weren't even planning on making it until the backlash), but then it has to go through Sony's certification process. If I had to guess, we're still probably a month away (at best) from the patch being released.

Boneless

So does this game gave dungeons like ffxv? I am in costa del sol region and there is a gate which looks like a dungeon but its locked.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Why would you buy the game ?
There is nothing worse than rushing a game. Yeah you will play for 7 weeks 3 hours after work but that’s how it is

To me, the best part in this game was getting to the open world section in the very first hour section of the game. It was so fresh and very promising. Then the game slowly goes downhill with too much mini games, silly character and dialogue, and chasing black robbed men which almost feels like the theatre of the absurd.

Yeah JRPGs used to have shitty mini games and card games. It's not too bad when they are entirely optional. Like in Yakuza: played 6 of those games but never did karaoke.

Top Bottom