• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

jorgejjvr

If you're constantly switching between modes, you'll notice it of course. But just leave it on Graphics mode and your eyes will adjust after 10~ minutes of play.

Yes, the Performance mode in this one is way better in terms of average FPS compared to FF16's, but the hit to the visuals is far too great. Like I said above, it just kills detail in the open world.

And the worst part is that it's not the games resolution, it's Square's terrible post process that makes it look extra blurry.
I just honestly don't think it looks that bad at all. Maybe it's the distance in which I'm sitting, I'm playing from my couch, but I find the game gorgeous in performance. Then I go to graphics and I'm not even enjoying the additional detail due to the poor framerate. I play a lot of switch games, so I can do 30fps, but this one is just bad

I love spawn wave and it was nice to see that I'm not alone, they all have OLED TV's and agreed graphics is awful

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I accidentally left the Kalm area and ended up at Junon in the early game. Will any of the uninitiated quests I could've done in the Kalm area disappear when I get back?

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Several observations:

We're not poor anymore. Games don't need to last 150 hours. We have backlogs.

Been gaming for too long. Things aren't exciting anymore when you've seen them a hundred times.

Make stuff optional. For those who want to mainline the game and just enjoy the story. Progress blocking mini games are not cool.

Nonehxc

So, after retailer and carrier fucked up my launch day Game+Steelbook order(lost...probably jumped out of carrier van into friend's van, happens), and I was bitter and like fuck wanted to pay full price for just the game...I was able to score a tasty new sealed Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Deluxe Edition for 20e less.

So I will be giddy as a kid in a few days peeps. 🫡😚

Matchew

Loving the characters and world. But, even the mushrooms have a minigame tied to them. I don't understand why Square thought they needed to build this massive game with repeatable task and horrible minigames. Really hope they dial it back with the 3rd game.

Jacob0101

absolutely-loving-rebirth-v0-glw3cfeqpbnc1.jpeg

saintjules

Just went back to Under Junon to 100% the area. Felt weird to stick around completing it when the story beats kind of persuade you to go to top area of Junon and on to Costa Del Sol.

If people are hoping they dial back the side content in Part 3, I think they outta prepare themselves. Part 3 is likely going to be gargantuan.

As for me, bring it on. More bang for my buck.
Yeah funny enough I'm kind of frustrated they didn't include the pull up and squat mini game since they were already made and could have been easily put into the gym as options. It's likely part 3 will have many of these mini games again.

TheAssist

It's done. 140 hours. Never played a single player game for that long.

Wow. This felt like an actual freaking adventure. This game showed me why I love videogames in the first place. Even with all the bullshit that can go on in the industry, sometimes a game like this comes along, takes you away and makes you forget everything. The past two weeks were absolutely amazing.

Feeling almost a bit overwhelmed after everything.

But you know what. I like it. I'm all in for the ride. Sue me :D

Now its time to get back to the grind, but not before I watch some reaction videos haha

TheAssist

Almost forgot:

Everyone deserves someone in their lives that looks at them like Cloud looks at black materia.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Almost forgot:

Everyone deserves someone in their lives that looks at them like Cloud looks at black materia.

The evil chuckle he does when he's chasing after Aerith is the most genuine emotion he shows in the entire game.

Make stuff optional. For those who want to mainline the game and just enjoy the story. Progress blocking mini games are not cool.
it's funny reading this having just replayed okami, in which the mandatory mini-games were pissing me off. there's this aura of sadism about game design like this, & they've been doing it forever...

Belthazar

Figures the only thing I genuinely hated about rebirth is the same as my most hated part of Remake: the Rufus fight. Who thought the first one was well designed and deserved a repeat in the second game? Man what a slog os a fight.

I could beat in my first try, but man ir wasn't a fun time.

I've been playing less this week and linda enjoying it this way. The first week rush was fantastic and I loved putting like 8 hours in it daily, but I just can't do it anymore (I'm still playing like 4 hours of it daily, but it'll still less)

I'll steer clear of 100h+ games for the rest of the year tho, I'm loving my time with Rebirth, but I just keep thinking of how much time I'm putting into it and what I could've been doing instead. (But give me 200h long for part 3 tho Square, I'll love playing another gargantuan game 4 years from now).

Last edited:

Nydius

The issue is more it pads things out too much, I mentioned earlier here about the game loop for each area, it becomes checklisty over decent content at some point, for me it was Cosmo Canyon, the 6th time I had to do the same things as I did for 5 other areas, it ruins the flow a bit

Exactly, and this is also my argument about the constant mini-games the game forces you to do.
Yes, forces.

A prime example of this is how the game forces you to go through stealth minigames to unlock Chocobos in multiple zones. You have to do this to be able to progress the story and access other side quests and intel gathering. How does forcing players into these tedious mini-game make the game better? It doesn't. It just makes it longer for the sake of being longer.

There is definitely far too much padding in the game, despite it being very enjoyable overall. Every zone basically plays out the exact same because the intel missions are identical. Most of the side quests are fairly similar. If this was an Ubisoft or EA game, it would probably have gotten trashed for the open world design. There's a lot of FF7 rose-tinted nostalgia goggles giving the open world shortcomings a pass. I know I was one of them early on as the game hit all the right nostalgia buttons... but by Gongaga the open world began grating on me.

Last edited:

SCB3

Exactly, and this is also my argument about the constant mini-games the game forces you to do.
Yes, forces.

A prime example of this is how the game forces you to go through stealth minigames to unlock Chocobos in multiple zones. You have to do this to be able to progress the story and access other side quests and intel gathering. How does forcing players into these tedious mini-game make the game better? It doesn't. It just makes it longer for the sake of being longer.

There is definitely far too much padding in the game, despite it being very enjoyable overall. Every zone basically plays out the exact same because the intel missions are identical. Most of the side quests are fairly similar. If this was an Ubisoft or EA game, it would probably have gotten trashed for the open world design. There's a lot of FF7 rose-tinted nostalgia goggles giving the open world shortcomings a pass. I know I was one of them early on as the game hit all the right nostalgia buttons... but by Gongaga the open world began grating on me.
That was the point for me as well, by the time you get to Gongaga, you want to progress a bit faster as the story is stating to pick up the pace as well

Also I’ve noticed that the optional quests for the ultima weapons from the OG game are now being forced upon you as well, for example Reds is one you have to do to progress, it’s a fun quest sure but it should be optional and you don’t even get a weapon from it

rofif

Banned
Yes, forces.

Rose tinted nostalgia all around. I don’t have it since I never played original and while I love the story and characters, I grew to hate open world, mini games and padding and fluff after Costa de Sol beach scene when it turns out this Costa del Sol is a giant area… or you can skip it and go directly into golden saucer - another mini games crap bag right after Costa del Sol. Like what the hell. The hotel part was great but I hated mini games. And while the beach resort felt refreshing and fun, nothing after it did… especially when it had mini games.

There is a mini game for everything and ton of it is mandatory to at least try or beat once. Some you repeat a ton like stealth in each area. It’s a slog after some time. You enter next area, do a mission, then open world unlocks….’ooof.

And not only that - the most padded missions are also in 2nd half of the game. The terrible red and cait seath missions that drag on forever.
The Corel prison which is just mini games and gimmicky side missions… and terrible racing game. The mini games are crap. They are not high quality.

By the time I got a car, all I wanted to do was to drive it to next main objective. And that’s all I’ve ever seen of it…. And in the first half of the game I couldn’t wait to get it.
Thankfully the game looks amazing, music is great and areas at least look interesting. The best parts of the game in 2nd half are some main story beats and Zack stuff. I love Zack stuff. The music and dread feeling.

Edit: fuck the cosmo canyon chocobo unlock with throwing food. That’s 15 minutes down the drain and it’s embarrassingly bad.

Last edited:

Boneless

So are ultima weapons in this game? So far I have not found many weapons and the weapons I have are not really better, they just focus on different stats.

If people are hoping they dial back the side content in Part 3, I think they outta prepare themselves. Part 3 is likely going to be gargantuan.

As for me, bring it on. More bang for my buck.
Despite alot of people moaning about games being too long. The overwhelming evidence suggests longer games sell better.

Unfortunately this hasn't worked out for Rebirth yet but we will see.

Sephimoth

WTF is this, I have to do a load of random minigames just to visit the beach and progress? BS padding

Nankatsu

60 fps on this is a huge improvement over the 30 fps on PS4.

The game is so fast paced that my eyes are having trouble keeping up with the action on screen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On first notice, I'm not in-love with the whole synergy mechanic that kicks in when you're guarding. I need a combat arena asap.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What stuff do you repeat? Did you just beeline story? Are Optional Bosses harder as well. Only at Cosmo Canyon at the moment.
beelined the story since I already 100% the playthrough on normal. I did however do all the Chadley VR missions (brutal + hard) this time around. Yes there are exclusive optional bosses in hard as well, these include the final intel bosses of each zone. They have different moves and an additional prefix in their names

Madflavor

I managed to complete all Hard Mode minigames, maxing out my Party Level. Goddamn that 4th Brutal VR mission is such bullshit. Sadistic fucking assholes putting a Joker and Tonberry King as the 10th round. That is a fight that can easily go south in a matter of seconds, even if you're playing well.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm on Chapter 12 and the last chapter was really good, I wasn't a fan of Cait Sith in the OG, but he's been redeemed a bit here, almost makes up for Sora... I mean Red XIII, I also don't see the issue with Cid? The part at the end of Chapter 11 felt like a Indiana Jones scene and isn't that partly what Cid is? An Adventurer

I will however say that Vincent not being playable kinda sucks though, I was looking forward to him as I was a fan of Dirge of Cerberus

rofif

Banned
I'm on Chapter 12 and the last chapter was really good, I wasn't a fan of Cait Sith in the OG, but he's been redeemed a bit here, almost makes up for Sora... I mean Red XIII, I also don't see the issue with Cid? The part at the end of Chapter 11 felt like a Indiana Jones scene and isn't that partly what Cid is? An Adventurer

I will however say that Vincent not being playable kinda sucks though, I was looking forward to him as I was a fan of Dirge of Cerberus
wdym cait sith was redeemed?!
His gameplay part is the worst thing so far this year

WoJ

I'm still in chapter 4 about 18 hours in and have spent most of my time just exploring and playing Queen's Blood.

I will say, this is a game that makes me feel like I am getting my money's worth. I know open world bloat is real and many games are padded with crap. To me, at least, this game feels like the padding is actually fun. I'm hoping to make some progress in the main story now. I don't get tons of time to play during the week. I took a day off work on Friday because I just needed a day and logged like 7 of my 18 hours on Friday. So doubtful I'll make as much progress this week.

Top Bottom