• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

I still can't believe that I actually ended up liking Noel. Before I played the game I was convinced that he would ruin it for me.

Exactly the same for me. When I saw him for the first time in the trailer I was OH MY GOD ANOTHER VAAN. He turned out to be way more awesome. And mature without being Squall-like mature. And he facepalmed at around the same times I did in real life :D

duckroll

Well you can always get one of the DLC characters as your "monster" party member. But yeah I am definitely disappointed at the lack of summons.

Well, you can get
Twilight Odin
in your party by completing the Vile Peaks optional episode.

Platinumed it even.

The only "new" maps for me are Augusta Tower, Academia and The Dying World. Serendipity and Void Beyond doesn't count as they are basically 1 room levels.

i think you're more talking about location rather than maps archlide steppe was totally different than in ff13 so most of us will count that as new.

- Mario-like level - Reading the guide, the creators say they wanted to implement jumping because they thought it was an interesting mechanic....The last level is NOT where you implement these types of things.

Academia 500AF is really an awefull level ..it's better than orphan cradle ( especially for the eyes ) BUt teh ennemy spawn and the level design are really the worse location of ff13-2 ( easily )

Guys I think I'm seeing Toriyama everywhere where I go! On the streets, at Uni...everywhere!!!!!

Edit: Oh and I REALLY don't get the whining on Academia AF 500 platforming...its very easy, not tedious at all. I never fell even once...and enjoyed the platforming aspect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys I think I'm seeing Toriyama everywhere where I go! On the streets, at Uni...everywhere!!!!!

Edit: Oh and I REALLY don't get the whining on Academia AF 500 platforming...its very easy, not tedious at all. I never fell even once...and enjoyed the platforming aspect.
It's because on that one platform, monsters spawn every three steps.

Good for farming, bad when you want to just explore.

Summons were awesome and beautiful in 13, but really, I thought they were weak as hell. Alexander was a boss though. And Summon animations ++++++++

Nothing as cinematic as that in 13-2 combat.

rataven

I initially thought this level was pretty retched, but I've come around on it. It had both a unique and urgent atmosphere to it that's a little lacking in other
final FF dungeons. And the sirens that kick in as you close in on the ark were chilling.

Going for 100% explored on this map was frustrating though. There's one little ledge that just doesn't move. Drove me nuts trying to shift it with the cubes. Finally decided to just jump for it. And made it.

It's because on that one platform, monsters spawn every three steps.

Good for farming, bad when you want to just explore.
Yeah that was annoying but I just jumped on the moving block then and with carefully timed jumps I jumped at the right time as the block rotated horizontally and didn't fall off..it felt very rewarding and fun lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Summons were awesome and beautiful in 13, but really, I thought they were weak as hell. Alexander was a boss though. And Summon animations ++++++++

13-2 is faster though. Going back to 13, there are times when they'd play an animation for no reason other than to show off the characters. That's fine, but it breaks up the combat.

Yeah that was annoying but I just jumped on the moving block then and with carefully timed jumps I jumped at the right time as the block rotated horizontally and didn't fall off..it felt very rewarding and fun lol
Yeah, but for the first time through, you don't know where to go. lol
At least the enemies there were pretty easy.

13-2 is faster though. Going back to 13, there are times when they'd play an animation for no reason other than to show off the characters. That's fine, but it breaks up the combat.

Not "at times", that happens when you switch paradigms for the first time in every single combat. It could get the party killed too if you weren't careful.

Really do not understand the people angry about Academia 500AF platforming. It was super fun. You even had to stand on the rotating block and jump on its sides as it was rotating to reach some hidden TC. Just like in Super Mario Sunshine hidden levels!

The only downside to that level is... no not Proto Behemoth who was super easy but spawning that fucking Quezacotl or whatever he is called (the Woodspirit).

Esura

Banned
That being said, I <3 Serah and Mog. They make the game for me. I'm much less taken by Noel because he reminds me of a young Tom Cruise. I hate Tom Cruise. >_<

Finally someone else who loves the duo instead of Noel. :D

"That's my mog!" is forever embedded into my head...forever.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I'm about to enter what I presume is the last area in the game, and before I proceed I have the following questions: Is there an endgame where I can get the remaining fragments? Also, can I get all the endings in the same playthrough without having to worry about making separate gamesaves? So far I have one paradox ending, the one where
Serah stays in dream-New Bodhum with Lightning et al

PD: This game is fucking fantastic. Much much better than I expected, although the writing is still cringe-worthy thanks to Toriyama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not "at times", that happens when you switch paradigms for the first time in every single combat. It could get the party killed too if you weren't careful.
Haha, was it really? Glad they took that out. :p

Finally someone else who loves the duo instead of Noel. :D

"That's my mog!" is forever embedded into my head...forever.
Kupo kupo!

I'm about to enter what I presume is the last area in the game, and before I proceed I have the following questions: Is there an endgame where I can get the remaining fragments? Also, can I get all the endings in the same playthrough without having to worry about making separate gamesaves? So far I have one paradox ending, the one where
Serah stays in dream-New Bodhum with Lightning et al

PD: This game is fucking fantastic. Much much better than I expected, although the writing is still cringe-worthy thanks to Toriyama.
Yes, you can play after you finish the game and it is impossible to lock yourself out of content. What you'll find is that if you miss stuff, sometimes it will be hard to get back to that point, but that's about it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I loved Academia500. Thought it was a great end-game area and far less aggravating than Orphan's Cradle which if you go back and have a look isn't actually all that different.

Any tips on capturing flanitor?

im in Augusta 300. Ive fought him about 10x and still no crystal drop. Any tips?

Do i kill him first or last?
Do i "attack" him or the other monster before the battle engages?

Chanser

im in Augusta 300. Ive fought him about 10x and still no crystal drop. Any tips?

Just keep on attacking him, took me ages to get Flanitor as he rarely appears.

rataven

Use a feral link on him when he's almost out of HP. I usually go with a RAV for this.

I don't think if matters if you kill him first or last. I've earned crystals both ways. But try to take him out last to be sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I wasted a lot of time - his spawn rate is MUCH higher in Augusta 200 than it is in 300. Do it there.

one85x

Im getting him every 2 fights. the problem is, no crystal. finally one dropped and it was for a fucking thexteron or something! do i just keep killing him?
Killing them with a Feral Link is supposed to help as rataven said. Also, if you want to speed up the process some, kill Flanitor first and retry if he doesn't turn into a crystal.

duckroll

I wasted a lot of time - his spawn rate is MUCH higher in Augusta 200 than it is in 300. Do it there.

Is it? That's interesting. I got him on the first or second fight in 200 AF. I was surprised that someone had a problem, but if its lower in 300 AF that might explain it.

Though not the same thing--and I do love my FF summons--many of the recruitable monsters do come off as near-summon cool. Like the Dragoon flying around blasting his guns, monstrous Proto-behemoth at your side, some cool special attacks that require your input for best effect.

One minor thing I didn't like about this recruitable monster biz is what happened to some once-larger creatures such as the "wyvern" types. Gigantic winged and challenging beasts for later-mid parts of FF13 but now junior-sized to fit in your party. Regular-sized when fought but smaller in-party would have been preferable to me.

Westonian

The only downside to that level is... no not Proto Behemoth who was super easy but spawning that fucking Quezacotl or whatever he is called (the Woodspirit).
I spawned him in less than a minute of work.

Don't save and reload. Instead, run onto the north east platform and if the the other wood spirits spawn instead of him, run off the platform. The monsters will dissolve and you won't have to reload or re-lock the gate. I ran on and off the platform until he spawned (with the Battlemania skill turned on, of course) and got him to show up in less than a minute of rebooting the spawn that way. Easy peasy.

Though not the same thing--and I do love my FF summons--many of the recruitable monsters do come off as near-summon cool. Like the Dragoon flying around blasting his guns, monstrous Proto-behemoth at your side, some cool special attacks that require your input for best effect.

I wonder is there a guy that has tamed every monster.

AND has a save where every monster has his Feral Link gauge full just to show off the special attack.

That would be pretty hardcore.

Yuripaw

Banned
Alright gaf, I could kinda use your input again with this game. I'm at a point in the game where...

I've given all 5 graviton cores to Hope and Alyssa in 4xxAF, and they can build their new Cocoon. They gave me an artefact which seems to be the key to gate that is gonna be taking me to some important battle. Is this the end of the game already? It seems quite clear that I shouldn't go through til I'm ready. Am I at the point where I should go around leveling up some more and looking for side quest?

I've found that even some of the sidequests can be kinda hard, and I felt like I've had to keep going further in the game before I can even finish some of them.

Westonian

Alright gaf, I could kinda use your input again with this game. I'm at a point in the game where...

I've given all 5 graviton cores to Hope and Alyssa in 4xxAF, and they can build their new Cocoon. They gave me an artefact which seems to be the key to gate that is gonna be taking me to some important battle. Is this the end of the game already? It seems quite clear that I shouldn't go through til I'm ready. Am I at the point where I should go around leveling up some more and looking for side quest?

I've found that even some of the sidequests can be kinda hard, and I felt like I've had to keep going further in the game before I can even finish some of them.

You won't have access to the full time line for awhile after entering the gate, but I don't recall anything in that section of the game being particularly hard. You will have the opportunity to go back and wrap stuff up before the real endgame though, so don't worry about that.

Hey guys, I have a few questions:

1. What is the earliest I could realistically capture Lightning? Any particular skills or monsters I need? Or just need my stats at a certain point?

2. I just got to the Steppe and understand the chocobos are beasts. Should I be able to capture the Red Chocobo at this point? Or would I be too weak? I haven't tried fighting one yet, stopped for the night when I got there. Would the red be useful for battling the blue? Or should I go for the blue first?

Westonian

Try running around near the gate by the Nomad Camp. They seem to spawn there a lot more often.

When it's sunny. I found the Flowering Cactuar harder to get, and for the bestiary fragment, with a strong late game party, getting the Catuar to grow into the Giant Cactuar was a pain. Had to go SEN/SEN/SEN to keep from one shoting the little bastard.

Yuripaw

Banned
1. What is the earliest I could realistically capture Lightning? Any particular skills or monsters I need? Or just need my stats at a certain point?

I wish I had an answer to this as well. Felt like such a waste of money with that DLC, stupid Amador comes in and just annihilates us before I even have a chance to do any damage.

Westonian

I wish I had an answer to this as well. Felt like such a waste of money with that DLC, stupid Amador comes in and just annihilates us before I even have a chance to do any damage.
I think if you're strong enough to 5-star the final boss, you're strong enough to take down Lightning. She's a pretty good RAV if infused with the right combo of monsters. I found she made the end game stuff (especially
Serah's Paradox fight with Caius
much easier).

I don't think it would be possible to capture her with a mid-game party, because getting her crystal is hard enough with a 5-star ranking. Anything less and the odds of getting her crystal go down the toilet.

Yuripaw

Banned
I think if you're strong enough to 5-star the final boss, you're strong enough to take down Lightning. She's a pretty good RAV if infused with the right combo of monsters. I found she made the end game stuff (especially
Serah's Paradox fight with Caius
much easier).

I don't think it would be possible to capture her with a mid-game party, because getting her crystal is hard enough with a 5-star ranking. Anything less and the odds of getting her crystal go down the toilet.

Now I really wish I hadn't gotten it. If I am fighting the final boss, AT ALL, then the DLC already has no use for it. I was hoping to use her during the game, not after the game -_- this is why DLC like this pisses me off.

Now I really wish I hadn't gotten it. If I am fighting the final boss, AT ALL, then the DLC already has no use for it. I was hoping to use her during the game, not after the game -_- this is why DLC like this pisses me off.

Someone posted on here that he got it mid game. He just didn't specify what that meant. Don't know what his stats were or even what he considers mid game as far as locations go. I'm only getting her if I can get her well before the end too. I'm really confident in my ability to strategies and beat bosses stronger than me but there' s a limit on that. I just want to know what I need for it to be in the realm of possibility.

Westonian

Just as an FYI, the final boss is not even close to the hardest mob in the game. I still found her a great to have for some of those tougher fights.

Droplet

What the fucking fuck was that ending? I don't think I've ever screamed at my TV more.

Luckily after I finished that I went back and got
"The Future is Hope"
paradox ending, which is infinitely better and I'm tempted to just leave it at that.
Sure it doesn't have the pretty CGI or final boss but it's got Snow being all BAUS and everyone's happy. Seriously, fuck the original ending.

Lets try this question instead: For those of you that captured Lightning, which monsters did you use?
I'm guessing COM MED SEN is the way to go. I'm planning on using the Red and Green Chocobos and not sure what SEN I'll have by the time I get the Green but right now I'm still using Pulse Knight.

Ricker

Yes, you can play after you finish the game and it is impossible to lock yourself out of content. What you'll find is that if you miss stuff, sometimes it will be hard to get back to that point, but that's about it.

I'm kinda stuck right now...I have 4 of the 7 Graviton Cores and a bunch of sidequests but I can't find the stuff needed for those(comm device,etc etc) and I think I am out of wild Artefacts so nothing is unlocking...I was hoping to not have to go to the crazy Academia section where there is battles every 2 steps for the 5th core but it looks like I will have to...from the picture I know it's near a red escalator but which one?...I only have 40 fragments in all after about 40 hours lol...

one85x

I'm kinda stuck right now...I have 4 of the 7 Graviton Cores and a bunch of sidequests but I can't find the stuff needed for those(comm device,etc etc) and I think I am out of wild Artefacts so nothing is unlocking...I was hoping to not have to go to the crazy Academia section where there is battles every 2 steps for the 5th core but it looks like I will have to...from the picture I know it's near a red escalator but which one?...I only have 40 fragments in all after about 40 hours lol...
I believe it's in the NW corner of the map. You should spawn pretty close to it if you haven't gone back to Academia yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's close to the end of the map, at the very least. Spawn rate is much lower after you finish the level anyway.

Just got flanitor. He really is a great.medic. using him, yellow chocobo, and a level 20 sentinel thing. This game is a lot better then most ppl let on.

BeeDog

(Swe-GAF question)

I figured I'd buy this game and can't decide between the Nordic Limited Edition and the Collector's Edition.

The Nordic Edition seems to come with DLC (and is cheaper of course), and the Collector's Edition description makes no mention of this DLC. On the other hand, I have the CE of FF13 and wouldn't mind having the CE for this as well for purely collector purposes.

Can someone give some insight into this? Does the CE in fact come with the same DLC as the Nordic Edition?

K' Dash

Lets try this question instead: For those of you that captured Lightning, which monsters did you use?
I'm guessing COM MED SEN is the way to go. I'm planning on using the Red and Green Chocobos and not sure what SEN I'll have by the time I get the Green but right now I'm still using Pulse Knight.

I did it at a pretty low level I guess, these are my pradigms:

Noel Serah Monster

Com Moster -> Orion
Sen Monster -> Bunkerbeast
Med Monster -> Green Chocobo

Rav, Rav, Sen -> 2-Folow immediately with this to raise stagger bar fast
Com, Com, Com-> 4-When staggered, attack with 3 commandos for max damage
Rav, Com, Med -> 1-Start with this to stabilize stagger bar
Sen, Rav, Sen -> 6-Protection against feral links while filing stagger bar
Med, Sen, Med -> 5-Healing
Rav, Rav, Med -> 3-Cure while filling stagger bar

You will have to change paradigms A LOT, you have to be on your toes, and see the attack patterns to know when to attack.

Good Luck

Top Bottom