• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Lol the rain and fog effects in the first real area brought me down to 30FPS lol. The dream is dead.

However, if I go down to 1080p it's still a locked 60 with zero issues. I'll get that program soon.

Have some screens taken at 4k down to 1080p.

Heyyy the rain looks good here. What the hell?

Falk

that puzzling face
That should change this gen since the technology is the same across all platforms.

Huh, has nothing to do with tech and all to do with implementation. Engines that don't clearly take multiple resolutions (as evidenced here) or framerates (as evidenced here and in e.g. Dark Souls PC versions and recently Valkyria Chronicles framerate-related physics/interception fire issues) date all the way back to PC games from the 80s where having a faster CPU meant the game actually was faster. Heck, a good chunk of video game history has wildly differing PAL vs NTSC versions, from Sonic to Shadow of the Colossus.

Part of me wants to joke that the reason that PC ports from Japan need to catch up is because there aren't powerful enough PCs to test them on over there, but that's just plain snarky where the reality is that PC has never been a strong market in Japan out of niche and doujin games. That mentality is what needs to change especially for IPs that are meant for an international (and hence inclusive of PC platform) audience.

Heyyy the rain looks good here. What the hell?

Is this maybe somehow related to the eyeliner issue from the XIII port?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is this maybe somehow related to the eyeliner issue from the XIII port?

I never got that one. And I tried to run XIII-2 in 720 with AA and shadow quality turned to lowest and still got the transparency issue.

I really don't get why it's rendering insanely blurry for me. I'm playing at 1440p and it looks awful. I tried dropping it to 2559x1440 as someone on Steam suggests but it only improves it minimally. Help? :(

Levyne

Banned
Agreed, I don't know what's causing it but it wasn't like this in the console versions. Is it an AA or transparency thing?

I don't know the answer, but if it is a transparency thing, the only bit I can suggest is to make sure the gpu drivers aren't forcing any sort of AA. That's what causes the eyeliner effect too.

I really don't get why it's rendering insanely blurry for me. I'm playing at 1440p and it looks awful. I tried dropping it to 2559x1440 as someone on Steam suggests but it only improves it minimally. Help? :(

That tiny tweak in resolution you tried was the only solution I was aware of for the "1440p bug". :(

Here's an example screen of the 2559 fix. It's not awful by a long shot but it's just not natural.

15818488950_83a1e85c95_o.jpg

komorebi

I don't know the answer, but if it is a transparency thing, the only bit I can suggest is to make sure the gpu drivers aren't forcing any sort of AA. That's what causes the eyeliner effect too.

I double checked and I have everything set to "Application Controlled". So it must be the game's AA setting.

Cards are dropping now.

I'm going to laugh if they're all pictures of Lightning like FF13's cards.

EDIT:
Oops nope
4 pics of Serah
2 of Lightning
1 each of Noel and Caius, though they're sharing space with Serah and Lightning respectively.

Up to about where I quit the first time around (Oerba)
Well..it wasn't really quit so much as "I forgot to continue playing this game."

Gvaz

Banned
Already played this on ps3 so nothing will spoil me, but why are some of the armor's weapons not on the pc version?

I mean chrissake one of them is ezio and shepard armors, why would ubisoft/bioware give a shit for the pc version?

tmtyf

mine looked blurry/jagged as well even with that fix. What i did was raise the resolution of the launcher to 38whatever (same as gedosato) and it helped tremendously. I haven't tried going higher, the frame rate was still crap D:

Damn, I thought Serah's Style and Steel outfit was in this version... That one was my favorite.
Oh well, at least we have the White Mage outfit.
All of Noel's costumes suck though.

I'm very fond of this game, not even sure why. It's a shame performance is all over the place, it's unreal how bad it is. WTF SE?

UnrealEck

Not trying to defend the port, but advertising a 30+FPS game as 60FPS is not a new thing or a SE thing, does it hit 60fps? Is it always above 30? One of the features is 60FPS.

Sure saying '60 FPS' would give the impression the game's capped at 60 FPS, meaning it allows for people to play the game for the first time at 60 FPS. However it's not the case. The game has a strange issue in which the framerate jumps between a 30 and a 60 cap. They were told of this issue (as if they even had to be, this should have been known during QA) and acknowledged the issue but still didn't fix it after over two months, release the sequel which suffered the same issue and didn't even bother to say anything about it again. I'd have appreciated 'it's an issue we're struggling to resolve due to how X or Y functions' but no, not a peep from them.

I'll try to remember that for when I get home! Had kinda a long day at work though, so I don't know if I will tonight.

I have 60fps.
Did you get around to posting a video? Another guy who says he gets 60 FPS said he would try posting a video but I guess he forgot about it.

Gvaz

Banned
Alright boys and girls, time to face reality:

Serah >>> Lightning

Noel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shit > lightning

i dont get why people like lighting. the voice actor is nice, but the character is fucking paperthin and boring

ryan0991

Banned
FF13.

FF13-3 is the sequel.
But that's not what prequel means. 13-2 and Lightning Returns are both sequels.

A prequel is something that releases after a previous game in the series, but takes place before the events of (usually) the original.

Resident Evil 0 is a prequel. Halo Reach is a prequel. Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core is a prequel.

serahsass

Neo Member
Noel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shit > lightning

i dont get why people like lighting. the voice actor is nice, but the character is fucking paperthin and boring
What's there to get? People like Lightning because she appeals to them. What you perceive as paperthin and boring, other's will perceive as something entirely different?

But that's not what prequel means. 13-2 and Lightning Returns are both sequels.

A prequel is something that releases after a previous game in the series, but takes place before the events of (usually) the original.

Resident Evil 0 is a prequel. Halo Reach is a prequel. Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core is a prequel.

are you a scientist

Thoraxes

Sure saying '60 FPS' would give the impression the game's capped at 60 FPS, meaning it allows for people to play the game for the first time at 60 FPS. However it's not the case. The game has a strange issue in which the framerate jumps between a 30 and a 60 cap. They were told of this issue (as if they even had to be, this should have been known during QA) and acknowledged the issue but still didn't fix it after over two months, release the sequel which suffered the same issue and didn't even bother to say anything about it again. I'd have appreciated 'it's an issue we're struggling to resolve due to how X or Y functions' but no, not a peep from them.

Did you get around to posting a video? Another guy who says he gets 60 FPS said he would try posting a video but I guess he forgot about it.
I'm having trouble getting the capture to not compromise my framerate at 4k. I could just do a 1080p one though as I think that should work just fine, if that's okay.

Also that first FPS post you quoted was not me lol. If you click the link it redirects to the post with my specs.

GPU utilization was at about 40% last I checked.
Alright boys and girls, time to face reality:

Serah >>> Lightning
I don't argue with facts, and this is a fact.

Gvaz

Banned
What's there to get? People like Lightning because she appeals to them. What you perceive as paperthin and boring, other's will perceive as something entirely different?

Duh? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Like you can look objectively at the character and list out her faults, but the opinion of the character is still going to be subjective. And in my subjective opinion she does not deserve the attention garnered.

Lightning is apparently popular in japan though, likely for the same reasons that "girls like" dark and mysterious, potentially unobtainable men.

How many doujins are there of lightning where she is broken down in the streets for some rape fantasy or turned into a slut from a prude? because there's a lot.

Thoraxes

Like you can look objectively at the character and list out her faults, but the opinion of the character is still going to be subjective. And in my subjective opinion she does not deserve the attention garnered.

Lightning is apparently popular in japan though, likely for the same reasons that "girls like" dark and mysterious, potentially unobtainable men.

How many doujins are there of lightning where she is broken down in the streets for some rape fantasy or turned into a slut from a prude? because there's a lot.
I don't think I understand where you're trying to go with the whole rape doujins...

There's pretty much shit like that for almost any character, male or female.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't think I understand where you're trying to go with the whole rape doujins...

There's pretty much shit like that for almost any character, male or female.

They seem to vary a bit, whereas most of the ones i've personally seen are just like, one theme

serahsass

Neo Member

"Your opinion" was to refer to Lightning as worse than shit. That's hateful.

UnrealEck

I'm having trouble getting the capture to not compromise my framerate at 4k. I could just do a 1080p one though as I think that should work just fine, if that's okay.
No need for 4K. I'd just like to be convinced the game can run at 60 FPS during battles.
Shadowplay will work fine at 1080p and it captures RivaTuner's overlay too to show GPU/CPU usage and framerate.

Thanks again.

serahsass

Neo Member
Hateful about a videogame character that doesn't exist?

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif
I knew that was coming. So predictable. You have nothing so you played the "she's not real" card. Hate is still hate whether the person in question is real or not.

There are many real girls with Lightning and Serah's personality. When you insult them you're indirectly insulting girls like them. Many times I've seen a fictional character get insulted only to have it offend a real person because they have a lot in common with that character.

People can develop a strong emotional attachment to fictional characters. People like you tend to think that's weird and stupid, but it's not. You demonstrate a complete lack of understanding when your response is basically "she's not real, you're stupid."

Levyne

Banned
Ugh. I found decent settings in XIII that gave me a pretty solid 60fps. Identical settings in XIII-2 don't seem to work at all.

ryan0991

Banned
Hateful about a videogame character that doesn't exist?

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif
Yes?

Why does she need to exist for it to be hateful? What if someone has a personality similar to the fictional character that you just called "worse than shit"? Fictional characters can represent many different things to many different people. Try not to be so quick to dismiss theses things.

jose1

I finished downloading it. I get 60 fps with frequent drops to 30-40 fps, no matter what resolution I use. It always happens in certain areas, like the game is loading something there and it tanks the framerate. I have a feeling it is loading or streaming things like NPCs when it happens. Pretty sure it drops in the same spots that it did when I played it on ps3.

Does anyone think some of the shadows look off? The chocobo at new bodhum looked especially bad at higher shadow resolution. Maybe I'll try another shadow res. next time.

This is still better than the console version, although a more stable 60fps would be great. The extra resolution and texture filtering looks really nice, my framerate is above the console game, and never turns into a slideshow like they did. I really like the white mage outfit!

burgerdog

Hey, I didn't forget. I tried recording in 1080p but I got a ton of frame drops while doing so. Best I could do is 720p and for whatever reason MSI Afterburner no longer has the OSD tab when I go to settings so I could display the fps.

Unreal

Hey, I didn't forget. I tried recording in 1080p but I got a ton of frame drops while doing so. Best I could do is 720p and for whatever reason MSI Afterburner no longer has the OSD tab when I go to settings so I could display the fps.

Record with the phone...

Top Bottom