• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

RK9039

There are audio problems as well, some people can't hear voices during the cinematics and apparently there is a buzzing noise.

Durante

So what's the issue, exactly? The UI causes the game to go to 30 FPS? Are there any other issues?
The performance issues are the same as FF13: random drops to 30 FPS which seem unrelated to actual hardware performance. I still suspect wonky framepacing. Probably removing code from the game would fix it.

Then there are audio issue, with some voices being played in the wrong position (e.g. cutscene narration from behind).

And finally, the promised settings are exactly what my GeDoSaTo plugin for FF13 did, to a T. That wouldn't be an issue in and of itself, though I'd personally consider it evidence of incapacity, or at least severe lack of imagination. However, it even copies the graphics problems at 2560x1440 -- which I never bothered fixing since with GeDoSaTo it's trivial to use e.g. 2560x1441 instead. However, someone simply playing the game out of the box on a 2560x1440 monitor without external tools is fucked.

Aeana

I see. So Lightning Returns should still be an upgrade over the PS3 version, since that seemed to hit 30 FPS approximately never, and that's why I had to quit playing it.
Still hope the issues get resolved, but a solid 30 FPS version of the game would be good enough for me to complete it at least.

Durante

I see. So Lightning Returns should still be an upgrade over the PS3 version, since that seemed to hit 30 FPS approximately never, and that's why I had to quit playing it.
Still hope the issues get resolved, but a solid 30 FPS version of the game would be good enough for me to complete it at least.
Both this and FF13 never ever dropped below 30 FPS for me, even at 4k with 8xAA, so if that's all you want you should be fine.

So what's the issue, exactly? The UI causes the game to go to 30 FPS? Are there any other issues?

I have a bug were I can't play FFXIII-2 in 4k using the launcher. Game crashes on start. Same with FFXIII.

I'm also getting worse performance in FFXIII, than I had before. I wanna go back, take me back, TAKE ME BACK!

EDIT: GeDoSaTo 4k + other settings still work in XIII

Levyne

Banned
I have a bug were I can't play FFXIII-2 in 4k using the launcher. Game crashes on start. Same with FFXIII.

I'm also getting worse performance in FFXIII, than I had before. I wanna go back, take me back, TAKE ME BACK!

I might have also had this bug. I couldn't downsample in fullscreen (wouldn't start), had to force borderless windowed mode.

Edit: Might not be the exactly same situation but just blurting that out in case it helps you out..

Eyothrie

Are you guys using GeDoSaTo with this? Is a GeDoSaTo profile available? The highest res available for me in the launcher is 1080p

Levyne

Banned
Are you guys using GeDoSaTo with this? Is a GeDoSaTo profile available? The highest res available for me in the launcher is 1080p

It seems like just use the base gedosato configuration. Just set the resolutions you want to see in gedosato's main config file (or your user file) and make sure XIII-2's exe is added to the whitelist.

The performance issues are the same as FF13: random drops to 30 FPS which seem unrelated to actual hardware performance. I still suspect
And finally, the promised settings are exactly what my GeDoSaTo plugin for FF13 did, to a T. That wouldn't be an issue in and of itself, though I'd personally consider it evidence of incapacity, or at least severe lack of imagination. However, it even copies the graphics problems at 2560x1440 -- which I never bothered fixing since with GeDoSaTo it's trivial to use e.g. 2560x1441 instead. However, someone simply playing the game out of the box on a 2560x1440 monitor without external tools is fucked.

Hmm... you don't think. No they didn't?

Eyothrie

Thanks. One more question.. When using borderless fullscreen, my framerate shoots up past 60fps even with vsync on. Are you guys simply limiting framerate to 60 to remedy this?

Durante

I think I figured out the sound issues:
- If you have 4 channels, you get some voices in the wrong position
- If you have 8 channels, you get constant buzzing
- If you have 6 channels, everything seems fine

So, the workaround seems to be (if your sound card/driver supports it) to set it to exactly 6 channels, and let your sound driver up/downmix to however many speakers you actually have.

komorebi

Same. If I can at least lock them to 30 then its an automatic improvement over the PS360 versions.

The performance in XIII-2 is erratic at best. A battle can be 60fps (some of them, definitely not all) but as soon as I hit the Paradigm Shift button the frames literally skip down to 45-48 and then jump back up to 60. Every single shift. No way I'm putting up with this lazy ass nonsense. I'm only buying these ports because I said good riddance to my PS3.

TheTux

The performance issues are the same as FF13: random drops to 30 FPS which seem unrelated to actual hardware performance. I still suspect wonky framepacing. Probably removing code from the game would fix it.

How much time do you think it would take to fix the framepacing?

gogogow

I wouldn't count on it. FFXIII-2 is now released and SE did nothing to fix the framerate issues in FFXIII. No matter what settings I use, whether 1080p or 4k with 8x AA, 8192x8192 shadow resolution, the framerate is still all over the place. Still have to lock it to 30fps. SE's PC ports are really terrible and one of the "features" is "60fps"...

UnrealEck

Yes. I'll record some battles when I get out of work.

Yes thanks. I was going to ask you because I don't believe you. I'm thinking you're mistaken. If you're right it's probably going to bug me more trying to figure out why it's not dropping to a 30 cap on some people's machines.

yea 30 never seemed to be an issue, its just consistency. The game constantly tanks between 60 and 30 for me. When I limited it to 30 it ran at a completely stable 30. (FFXIII, dunno about XIII-2)

The biggest problem I had was that this game more than almost any other just looked phenomenal at 60...was really disappointed when I limited it to 30 but I just couldnt take it jumping anymore

Copy pasting XIII's settings into a new GDST plugin and adding it to the whitelist made it work with the game.

However, the game launches differently than XIII

XIII: Set res to 720p, windowed. Start favorite borderless windowed program
XIII-2: Set to fulllscreen, pick a res. Windowed doesn't work, for some reason, not to mention the fact that resolution is limited in windowed already.

The down sampling function is actually the games doing. I think that GeDoSaTo actually just removed my bug.

EDIT: But... reintroduced me to the alt-tab bug. It. Never. Ends.

iCivj97juebQS.jpg

iYXF8jUU6WInl.jpg

TheTux

yea 30 never seemed to be an issue, its just consistency. The game constantly tanks between 60 and 30 for me. When I limited it to 30 it ran at a completely stable 30. (FFXIII, dunno about XIII-2)

The biggest problem I had was that this game more than almost any other just looked phenomenal at 60...was really disappointed when I limited it to 30 but I just couldnt take it jumping anymore

Getting 30 fps is an issue for me.

Dr Dogg

re GeDoSaTo I've found hashes that work with Trigger Event's, out in the field, in battle and even the Cinematic Action segments but not one that works with all 4. And I'm sure there's other UI elements other than those as well. Oh well at least it's a learning experience of sorts.

Hikami

Just started this up and ugh.. that buzzing noise just makes this unplayable.
Had no problems with the first game.

cafemomo

Just like the original game, this thing is handing out trophies to you like nothing.
2 hours of playing and got five of them

Hikami

go to your computer audio options, change your surround to plain old stereo

Yeah, I had already read/tried everything suggested. Don't have that option.

Just fixed it by disabling my speakers and just having headphones enabled in sound options though..

Durante

re GeDoSaTo I've found hashes that work with Trigger Event's, out in the field, in battle and even the Cinematic Action segments but not one that works with all 4. And I'm sure there's other UI elements other than those as well. Oh well at least it's a learning experience of sorts.
Tell me the hashes then I don't need to do it :p

I'll implement multi-hashing.

Oh, and borderless FS forcing with GeDoSaTo works in FF13-2 now (and probably lots of other games where it caused crashes, was a stupid bug).

Nethaniah

Such a shame that this has the same issues, i cant support this, one of the biggest jap publishers with one of the most wel known franchises and this is the best we get? Shame on you square.

Guys you just got a 2nd mainline, single player Final Fantasy on the PC in like 12 years. I think you should be more grateful instead of focusing on 2560x1440 resolution and 29.9 fps.... just my opinion.

Nethaniah

Guys you just got a 2nd mainline, single player Final Fantasy on the PC in like 12 years. I think you should be more grateful instead of focusing on 2560x1440 resolution and 29.9 fps.... just my opinion.

Pretty shady to still advertise with 60fps when they know full well how broken this pos is.

And we have to be grateful? You do realize they arent handing these games out right? They cost real money.

TheTrain

This is fucking nonsense, the game perform WAY WAY better at 1080p + 16x MSAA [Rock Solid 30FPS] than 4K/1440p w/2xMSAA [22FPS Average]
I know it's nonsense but give it a try, i'm not crazy

Falk

that puzzling face

You know, the big question would be 'is hypothetical FFXV on PC worth it if it has similar framerate caps and graphical issues'.

i'd say yes i'm a sucker

And we have to be grateful? You do realize they arent handing these games out right? They cost real money.

1/5th of what it costed me to buy this game on PS3. I think grateful is the proper word, yes. It's not broken like some POS Steam Indie game from Jimquisition video. I think they will patch the audio issues soon (they were not existing in the FF13 port).

Nah, the engine is terrible. They could've fixed this frame pacing issue, or know, commissioned someone to fix it for them. But they didn't, cause SQ is cheap.

This is the 2nd go around. I knew what I was getting into when I bought, but it is still inexcusable, and a lot of others shouldn't have to put up with this crap.

Do you honestly think we won't be repeating history for a 3rd time when LR comes out?

You know, the big question would be 'is hypothetical FFXV on PC worth it if it has similar framerate caps and graphical issues'.

i'd say yes i'm a sucker

Worth it. Even with broken audio.

I'd expect Square to announce FFX/X-2 PC ports first, though.

Durante

This is fucking nonsense, the game performance WAY WAY better at 1080p + 16x MSAA than 4K/1440p w/2xMSAA
I know it's nonsense but give it a try, i'm not crazy
That's not unusual. Hardware MSAA is cheap (also their "16x MSAA" setting is actually 4xMSAA with 4 coverage samples each, 16xCSAA in other words, which is even cheaper).

They aren't exactly doing me a favor here, they're offering a minimal risk product that suffers from the same technical issues a predecessor did. That said, I'm glad they're doing it, but "grateful" is a bit of a funny word.

Nethaniah

1/5th of what it costed me to buy this game on PS3. I think grateful is the proper word, yes. It's not broken like some POS Steam Indie game from Jimquisition video. I think they will patch the audio issues soon (they were not existing in the FF13 port).

Grateful that we get to spend on a broken product that is still being advertised with functions it does not have, jesus talk about eating up whatever they shit out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sorry to hear about all these issues guys. I wanted to give SE the benefit of a doubt on this, that they learned their lesson from FF13, but it seems it wasn't to be

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does the game at least have it's own frame rate limiter if you want to lock it at 30, or do you have to use an external program?

cafemomo

I am grateful, but jeez, couldn't Square give the trilogy to the folks who ported TR, Sleeping Dogs & DS HR to the PC.

I know Square can do PC, but obviously not their Japanese branch.

Each mainline FF game (sans XI and XIV) from them I've played on the PC had some problems.

FFIV battling speed is FFIX tier
FFVIII has butchered music

etc etc

Top Bottom