• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

Adaren

Grateful that we get to spend on a broken product that is still being advertised with functions it does not have, jesus talk about eating up whatever they shit out.

In Square Enix's defense, this situations isn't nearly as objectionable as a lot of the crap that people put up with from publishers/developers nowadays. There's no massive downgrade. There aren't huge features that are completely broken for most/all of the users. There's just several technical issues.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Hope they fix things up!

EDIT: Would those who are getting consistent 60 FPS mind posting info about their setups? You must all have something in common.

Dr Dogg

Tell me the hashes then I don't need to do it :p

I'll implement multi-hashing.

Oh, and borderless FS forcing with GeDoSaTo works in FF13-2 now (and probably lots of other games where it caused crashes, was a stupid bug).

Hahaha well sods law I've lost the one I had for the Cinematic Events clearing out the 50 or so set of logs and tmp directories but here's the rest.

• Field - 94108431
  • Live Trigger - 450d7e1a
  • Battle - 1329c9bf
Though the first 2 don't work very well on disabling the hud in situations the listed element isn't present. For example the hash for Live Trigger events will either leave a black screen or a previously rendered frame (though to be fair they're not exactly exciting opportunities when the HUD is on screen). HUDless screenshots also sometime comeback as just fullscreen, well so says the dialog prompt which sort of makes sense.

I'll start up a new save and grab the hash for Cinematic Events in a sec.

Where did you take the second screen?

Same area. It's a GeDoSaTo hudless screenshot. It takes them at full res, which in this case was 4k. The 1st shot was when I was trying to get downsampling working like the first game. GDST works, you can see the popup, but it doesn't downsample when set to 720p like XIII.

EDIT: Would those who are getting consistent 60 FPS mind posting info about their setups? You must all have something in common.

i7 4770k, Titan Black. It's the engine, plain and simple.

I can only get 60fps at 1080p now. I think the recent update actually increase the graphics quality. I used to be able to hit 60fps here most of the time at 4k, but now its mostly 30 with the same settings.

Yes, but Bahamut looks totally different.

Enemies glow yellow when you select them for an attack, you just can't see the pointer 'cause the hud's gone.

I am grateful, but jeez, couldn't Square give the trilogy to the folks who ported TR, Sleeping Dogs & DS HR to the PC.

I know Square can do PC, but obviously not their Japanese branch.

Each mainline FF game (sans XI and XIV) from them I've played on the PC had some problems.

FFIV battling speed is FFIX tier
FFVIII has butchered music

etc etc

Wondering, are there any problem-free Japanese PC games that are not 2D Indie titles? I guess MGS5 will be pretty snappy.

Thoraxes

In Square Enix's defense, this situations isn't nearly as objectionable as a lot of the crap that people put up with from publishers/developers nowadays. There's no massive downgrade. There aren't huge features that are completely broken for most/all of the users. There's just several technical issues.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Hope they fix things up!

I'll try to post some screens, video, and my specs when I get home from work in 9 hours.

HeelPower

sorry brah, but the only thing good to come out of Serah is her theme

But I can also credit that to lord hamauzu

Serah.Farron.full.638970.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ever? The Last Remnant runs great with lots of options. Binary Domain is great, too.

Last Remnant is UE3, ain't it? I don't think I've seen a bad UE3 port on PC.

Binary Domain (and Valk Chron) have Sega's PC port house to thank, IIRC. Which aren't Japanese. Just from a Japanese publisher.

The true test will be Metal Gear Solid 5/Ground Zeroes next week and seeing if Kojima heard the backlash over locked resolutions from Revengence (which wasn't really his fault, but Platinums).

Falk

that puzzling face
Wondering, are there any problem-free Japanese PC games that are not 2D Indie titles? I guess MGS5 will be pretty snappy.

I want to say Valkyria Chronicles but my OCD won't let me with the 60fps physics issues.

(it's an otherwise absolutely phenomenal port)

Teletraan1

Banned
Both this and FF13 never ever dropped below 30 FPS for me, even at 4k with 8xAA, so if that's all you want you should be fine.

I had a few occurrences when I actually capped it to 30 that it would find a way to drop below 30 and into the 20s but did not drop below 30 if I left it to its own fluctuating mess. Did you leave yours uncapped? Were you using borderless window (which I usually prefer) the entire time, because I wasn't. Is borderless window an option now on the latest GeDoSaTo and does it work with the new update with XIII? I want to be able to play these games but the fluctuations even when attempting to cap were really bothering me.

Durante

I'm using borderless FS with an as-yet-unreleased version of GeDoSaTo. No framecapping.

Hahaha well sods law I've lost the one I had for the Cinematic Events clearing out the 50 or so set of logs and tmp directories but here's the rest.

• Field - 94108431
  • Live Trigger - 450d7e1a
  • Battle - 1329c9bf
Though the first 2 don't work very well on disabling the hud in situations the listed element isn't present. For example the hash for Live Trigger events will either leave a black screen or a previously rendered frame (though to be fair they're not exactly exciting opportunities when the HUD is on screen). HUDless screenshots also sometime comeback as just fullscreen, well so says the dialog prompt which sort of makes sense.

I'll start up a new save and grab the hash for Cinematic Events in a sec.
Hmm, 1329c9bf is what I found for the field UI.

Edit:
ROFLCOPTER
1329c9bf is the same PSHash as for FF13. Which means the pixel shader code is literally the same.

TheSeks

Guys you just got a 2nd mainline, single player Final Fantasy on the PC in like 12 years. I think you should be more grateful instead of focusing on 2560x1440 resolution and 29.9 fps.... just my opinion.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be grateful when Square (should've) heard the backlash over 13's poor port and CONTINUED to produce a poor port with 13-2. That's just a stupid move. They could've delayed and worked on it, but nope. And spoiler: I'm going to say the same shit happens with FF13-3.

UnrealEck

1/5th of what it costed me to buy this game on PS3. I think grateful is the proper word, yes.

It's an old game. It's also a PC game. I think it's also digital only. It should cost less. A lot less.
Advertising it as 60 FPS when it's not 60 FPS? Right after the last game was also advertised as being 60 FPS? Then they said they'll improve on the issues the game had and didn't and now we have the sequel more than two months later with the same issues which remain in the first game?

I can't agree that 'grateful' is an appropriate word.

Mohasus

The true test will be Metal Gear Solid 5/Ground Zeroes next week and seeing if Kojima heard the backlash over locked resolutions from Revengence (which wasn't really his fault, but Platinums).
C'mon, 4k support was announced a long time ago and they even showed the graphical settings window a few days ago with a weird resolution 3000x2000 something.

TheTux

That's not unusual. Hardware MSAA is cheap (also their "16x MSAA" setting is actually 4xMSAA with 4 coverage samples each, 16xCSAA in other words, which is even cheaper).

Just tried 16xMSAA and can confirm it runs better lol. I don't know what to say.

I'm not sure why 2xMSAA runs worse than 16xMSAA. I just never had a video card good enough to study anti aliasing.

Is it because of a better hardware support/optimization?

Dr Dogg

Hmm, 1329c9bf is what I found for the field UI.

1329c9bf (which is also what you used in XIII) I've found get's the vast majority of the UI but still leaves some subtitle elements, the loading orb in the top left and I think a few other bits. Just going through each one by one again to make sure I'm not missing anything or being silly. Still if anything I've got a greater appreciation of just a tiny bit of the work you have to put into to this now even if I am tearing my hair out :p

Edit: Just seen your edit. Ohhhhhh, I think I know what that means.

TheTux

You're a hater. No, seriously, you're a hater. It's not healthy to hate.
Some people say 1 hater = 10 fans

Also, and I post this NOW, Lightning Returns is 21€ NEW now, it will probably get cheaper under Steam version will be released, so as soon you will see a similar pricetag on Steam, please don't say "Oh, nice, good price, thanks SE", because really, SE is not gifting ANYTHING at all. If they are releasing those poor ports on PC, is just because their life on console is finished, while on PC is totally new and they can make some more money with a minimum effort.
What are you talking about? I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

The problem is that SE could have easily taken this to so many studios and it would've been one of the best ports ever (I'm pretty sure they could get even Avalanche to do it if they wanted it). Or heck, just call up the people from FFXIV for a couple of weeks.

DMC4.

Revengeance also? Can't recall if it had resolution options...
Didn't Revengeance came out pretty bad and then a patch fixed it or something like that?

It's an old game. It's also a PC game. I think it's also digital only. It should cost less. A lot less.
Advertising it as 60 FPS when it's not 60 FPS? Right after the last game was also advertised as being 60 FPS? Then they said they'll improve on the issues the game had and didn't and now we have the sequel more than two months later with the same issues which remain in the first game?

I can't agree that 'grateful' is an appropriate word.
Not trying to defend the port, but advertising a 30+FPS game as 60FPS is not a new thing or a SE thing, does it hit 60fps? Is it always above 30? One of the features is 60FPS.

TheTux

The fact "You should be grateful SE ported this on PC", their pricing policies and they awful ports :p

Well we (some of us anyway) believe that they ported the games because of their DiveIn service.

Some people are saying "Bad port > No port at all" and honestly I agree with them. At least some people can play the games at 60fps.

Are you saying that the price is too high for bad ports like these? Well if that's the case I agree with you.

TheSeks

C'mon, 4k support was announced a long time ago and they even showed the graphical settings window a few days ago with a weird resolution 3000x2000 something.

Yes, but FF13/13-2's port shows that performance is the true test of porting beyond resolution options.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I havent tried it yet but FF13 is pretty much 1080p 60fps for me now. ill try this one tomororw and report back

Thoraxes

Not trying to defend the port, but advertising a 30+FPS game as 60FPS is not a new thing or a SE thing, does it hit 60fps? Is it always above 30? One of the features is 60FPS.
I have 60fps.

It's impossible to account for every single PC configuration out there though.

As I linked, they should be here but users are claiming DLCs not unlocking when they need . It's not clear if SE changed the unlocking time (maybe they will unlock after game completition), or if this is just another bug.
I only played for an hour or so before work, but all the costume DLC was accessible the second I could control Serah.

Thoraxes

Costumes are, story DLC not. Check steam community hub, there's a related thread.
Like I mentioned, I only played a little bit before work. I didn't get Crux access yet to check for the rest :/

Hopefully that shit gets fixed though. I wanna do the Ultros fight again lol

Thoraxes

Anyone know the download size before I begin downloading this and going over my bandwidth cap like last time?
I can't remember if it was the DL or install size, but I remember the numbers 27GB and 18GB. Definitely no more than 30.

Hopefully someone can clarify for you though.

Top Bottom