• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

Oh great, looks like I won't have the money to buy this game on launch day :( Stupid dentist appointment and me having to pay for it out of my own pocket.

I think I'll get this game over the summmer. It will be like when I bought Final Fantasy X in June of one year (forget which year) and litearly played it all summer. (I did do other things) Maybe XIII will be my new summer obsession. I'm going to be laid up for a few week anyway.

I am a little dissapointed to read that there really isn't any memorable villian for XIII. But I hope to enjoy the game regardless.

Khrno

That would be great. However the english voice acting in the game is not bad at all, no weird accents (not referring to XII but to Wakka), Vanille voice is actually quite cute, and Lightning's rather hot.

Kagari said:
I hope not. The game needs something other than missions.

I know it actually needs a redesign for the first 10 chapters, but what else can you add in such a closed environment? Adding extra story would be kinda ok, but I don't think that's what it needs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Khrno said:
That would be great. However the english voice acting in the game is not bad at all, no weird accents (not referring to XII but to Wakka), Vanille voice is actually quite cute, and Lightning's rather hot.

I know it actually needs a redesign for the first 10 chapters, but what else can you add in such a closed environment? Adding extra story would be kinda ok, but I don't think that's what it needs.

Watch it be sections of the game they cut...

duckroll

I think I know what the DLC is, if it's the same thing I heard whispered about. Supposedly just a dungeon, planned as DLC, but like everything else in FFXIII took longer than expected and is now delayed indefinitely.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
This is all in stark contrast with what Tsuchida's design philosophy usually is. The guy is a strategy RPG designer, he created Arc the Lad and Front Mission, and the FFX battle engine reflects exactly how he likes battles - slow, methodical, and puzzle-like. If I had to guess, I would say he designed
the summon battles as well, because the way you have to win them reeks of his style.

Hopefully he will be lead combat designer for a future FF again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RpgN said:
Well in the official Dutch playstation magazine, Kitase says that they have provided a DLC and it's coming later in the West. It seems pretty certain to me. The Ultimania guide seems to be running around bushes and maybe he wasn't supposed to officially mention it in the magazine, who knows :p Conflicting reports.

Yeah, who knows. Wouldn't be surprised at this point. Especially with the amount of content they supposedly cut.

Sorry, another dumb beginner's Q: what effect does the Role level up have? Gone up to a few level 2s now and it's not opening up any new areas on the Crystalium or anything... does it affect stats?

Speaking of stats, Square needs to work on presenting stat changes in a more meaningful way. It's useless seeing that equipping a weapon raises your physical and reduces your magic, without seeing by how much it does so. Before they used to show old -> new stats, now they just show the new (so you have to manually compare yourself). >_<

bPod

I really want to play this but I can't stand the fighting system..taking turns hitting each other rather than real time fights. I never played any of the FF games because of its system...looks like FF13 will be another one.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
I feel FFX's battles sound better on paper and in discussion than they actually are in practice though. Lol.

Well, I liked FF X's combat a lot, the last one I enjoyed (haven't played X-2, though), actually. And I hope we get a turn-based combat system again for FF.

bPod said:
I really want to play this but I can't stand the fighting system..taking turns hitting each other rather than real time fights. I never played any of the FF games because of its system...looks like FF13 will be another one.

You will have your real time combat with FF XIII Versus.

SSnake

Got the soundtrack

4310287538_1359c366be_b.jpg

4309601685_850ccaabd2_b.jpg

4309601927_89ae83e943_b.jpg

ugh. i won't be hope tomorrow to pick this up. thank god they are going to require signature but I HOPE they come before i leave to work like they did with FFXIII.

Sora_N

Kagari said:
Amano's art definitely does not work with this game's art style.

That's what I sorta think too. :(

Also minor update guys, I'm now on Chapter 4 and I have a question. In the beginning I set Lightning to Attacker and then sort of read that Blasters are better to cause Break (and I feel this is true from what I've been seeing so far) so I had Lightning as Blaster for the last bit of Chapter 3. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I'm getting owned more when I have 3 Blasters in my part initially, am I doing it wrong? :lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sora_N said:
That's what I sorta think too. :(

Also minor update guys, I'm now on Chapter 4 and I have a question. In the beginning I set Lightning to Attacker and then sort of read that Blasters are better to cause Break (and I feel this is true from what I've been seeing so far) so I had Lightning as Blaster for the last bit of Chapter 3. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I'm getting owned more when I have 3 Blasters in my part initially, am I doing it wrong? :lol

Blasters are the fastest to achieve break but you need an Attacker to attack to start the chain or basically attack at least once during the push to slow the bar. One of the Attacker's skills is exactly that, assuming you got it on the crystarium. I usually start every battle with A/B/B and then switch to B/B/B if I wanna break ASAP or just keep it at A/B/B if there's multiple enemies.

BuRT!

tebiro boy said:
what effect does the Role level up have? Gone up to a few level 2s now and it's not opening up any new areas on the Crystalium or anything... does it affect stats?
>_<

It is just an extra slot used to burn CP while leveling the crystallium. You don't gain stats from it, it just allows you to continue along the path. In the early game you are limited in how far you can level your crystallium, beating certain chapters will open up the next level for you to buy skills. The last level is unlocked after beating the game.

duckroll

Hobbun said:
Well, I liked FF X's combat a lot, the last one I enjoyed (haven't played X-2, though), actually. And I hope we get a turn-based combat system again for FF.

I don't think FFX has bad systems at all, but I guess it's a bit of personal preference. One thing I didn't like about FFX was how without ATB, a lot of the attack animations just felt so much slower. Like when an enemy starts attacking, pretty much nothing is happening at all during that animation and you just have to wait it out. As opposed to having ATB where during an attack turns are still recharging in realtime, and you can input the next command, etc.

Have you played FFIV DS? I wonder what you think of the battle system and boss fights in that one. It's personally one of my favorites now.

Jonnyram

Mmmm, Gran=Pulse nomnomnom.
This part of the game is actually super addictive. Maybe a bit too much walking at first, but after mission 14 it really starts to remind me of my adventures in FFXI.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
BuRT! said:
It is just an extra slot used to burn CP while leveling the crystallium. You don't gain stats from it, it just allows you to continue along the path. In the early game you are limited in how far you can level your crystallium, beating certain chapters will open up the next level for you to buy skills. The last level is unlocked after beating the game.

Eh? Go to your status screen for any character and check the bonuses given by each job. The higher level the job is the bonuses the job gives to your party members are more powerful/last longer.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
worldrevolution said:
Blasters are the fastest to achieve break but you need an Attacker to attack to start the chain or basically attack at least once during the push to slow the bar. One of the Attacker's skills is exactly that, assuming you got it on the crystarium. I usually start every battle with A/B/B and then switch to B/B/B if I wanna break ASAP or just keep it at A/B/B if there's multiple enemies.

Later on, some enemies are harder to break with only A/B so I usually start with A/J/B, move over to B/J/B when my Attacker has scored a hit and quickly switch over to B/B/B when the appropriate status ailment are in place (usually a combination of DeShell, DeProte and Weak). From there on it's rock and roll + Highwind at the very end of the break. I occasionally use E/E/E as well to boost my own stats as quickly as possible.

I'm an expert

Sword Familiar said:
Later on, some enemies are harder to break with only A/B so I usually start with A/J/B, move over to B/J/B when my Attacker has scored a hit and quickly switch over to B/B/B when the appropriate status ailment are in place (usually a combination of DeShell, DeProte and Weak). From there on it's rock and roll + Highwind at the very end of the break. I occasionally use E/E/E as well to boost my own stats as quickly as possible.

Unless it's a mob that definitely requires a debuff to break, I usually just wait until break to bring my jammer in since it's pretty much 100% success rate during break. Same with bosses, break then debuff. But again, that's why I like the battle system so much, people play with completely different optima setups that fit their playstyle and (for the most part) they all work.

Edit:

Finally cleared the game and I can't get the grin off my face. What a wonderful ride. Really worthy of being the first FF of this generation. If it's not your cup of tea, ah well, but in the end it's just a really good game. Now to finish up the trophies!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
worldrevolution said:
Unless it's a mob that definitely requires a debuff to break, I usually just wait until break to bring my jammer in since it's pretty much 100% success rate during break. Same with bosses, break then debuff. But again, that's why I like the battle system so much, people play with completely different optima setups that fit their playstyle and (for the most part) they all work.

The thing about debuffing first is that (most of the time) you'll be able to break the enemy much quicker. If it's a weak enemy (as in the kind you'll break in seconds after you've started the fight) it won't matter, but for those who have a longer break time it's almost crucial if you want a better grade.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
I don't think FFX has bad systems at all, but I guess it's a bit of personal preference. One thing I didn't like about FFX was how without ATB, a lot of the attack animations just felt so much slower. Like when an enemy starts attacking, pretty much nothing is happening at all during that animation and you just have to wait it out. As opposed to having ATB where during an attack turns are still recharging in realtime, and you can input the next command, etc.

Have you played FFIV DS? I wonder what you think of the battle system and boss fights in that one. It's personally one of my favorites now.

FF IV is one of my all time favorite FF’s and RPGs in general. I actually enjoyed FF IV’s combat, not only for the DS, but the original as well. Even though it did employ ATB, it felt less slow and did not have that real time feeling, either.

I understand what you are saying in regards to having to wait for the attacks to play out, but for me, I don’t mind that. And in some ways, is my preference. With the older ATB systems (up to IX. Again, can’t speak for X-2 as I haven’t played it), at least they felt and played slow enough (unless you played it a high speed) where you could pretty much watch each person's attack, including the enemies.

I know my preferences are in the minority, but if we received future FF’s where “you attack, I attack, you attack” and the bad guys and good guys lined up on each side along with having the current gen graphics, I would be just fine with that.

BuRT!

worldrevolution said:
Eh? Go to your status screen for any character and check the bonuses given by each job. The higher level the job is the bonuses the job gives to your party members are more powerful/last longer.

Oh, I didnt even notice and I'm almost level 5 on all jobs. LOL :D

Zoe

^ That's funny about the logo.

Amano came up with the logo on his own, but they thought it would be a waste if it was only used for that, so they incorporated it into the ending.

RPGCrazied

umm, was in inteview in some play magazine in holland

Kitase: At first we had plans to release the game simultaneously worldwide, so we had the intention to deliver identical version between the regions. When we noticed that we wouldn't make it, we decided to release the game as fast as possible in the west after its release in Japan. We initially had doubts to add extra content to the western version but then it would have taken the international version more months of delay. We did prepare a DLC but it will arrive a little later in the west.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RPGCrazied said:
umm, was in inteview in some play magazine in holland

Kitase: At first we had plans to release the game simultaneously worldwide, so we had the intention to deliver identical version between the regions. When we noticed that we wouldn't make it, we decided to release the game as fast as possible in the west after its release in Japan. We initially had doubts to add extra content to the western version but then it would have taken the international version more months of delay. We did prepare a DLC but it will arrive a little later in the west.

Not confirmed. In the Ultimania guide it says DLC is possible, but not planned.

RPGCrazied

Im confused, why did they say they have it prepared, but will arrive a little later on.

Doesn't that seem we are getting something?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RPGCrazied said:
Im confused, why did they say they have it prepared, but will arrive a little later on.

Doesn't that seem we are getting something?

Seems to be some mis-communication going on.

Zoe

It says two things about DLC: 1) it'd be better to release it all at once (rather than small releases), and 2) while there's technically a possibility for it, they're not giving it any thought right now.

Top Bottom