• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

mehdi_san

Thanks for all the details ! I don't really know yet which weapon I will upgrade for each character. I don't really like the upgrade system to be honest, and so far in the game (I'm at the chapter 12), I didn't even feel the need to upgrade the weapons. I didn't get any problem with the bosses while still using lvl.1 weapons, which I don't think is something you can usually do in RPGs. So yeah, don't like the system...

Also, I didn't really understand what the little Wall-E robot from Vanilla's house told me. He said something about the plains in Pulse, like if I missed something or so. Was he giving me hints for something in particular?

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
Also, I didn't really understand what the little Wall-E robot from Vanilla's house told me. He said something about the plains in Pulse, like if I missed something or so. Was he giving me hints for something in particular?

The robot says different things, generally giving tips on stuff which might not be immediately obvious in terms of optional stuff. None of it is particularly important because it can all be figured out on your own.

Zoe

For me he said that you could ride Atomos to get to different places. I haven't bothered going back since then.

mehdi_san

If you talk to him again, he does say other things indeed. Thanks again!

On another note, I've started listening to the soundtrack, and there a few tracks that I really really like. Especially the first boss battle theme (CD1 - 5- ブレイズエッジ) is just so epic. I get so excited when listening to the part with all the violins !!! ^^

ACE 1991

Hey, could I get a link to some of the impressions/reviews of people who have completed the import copy? I'd of course do the thread search myself, but for some reason I do not have permission to search threads.

BluWacky

ACE 1991 said:
Hey, could I get a link to some of the impressions/reviews of people who have completed the import copy? I'd of course do the thread search myself, but for some reason I do not have permission to search threads.

Search is disabled ATM.

You might want to look at the detailed post-game impressions thread here. It's not particularly spoilery AFAIK (I still know next to nothing about the plot and I've been reading these threads for ages!) and Shouta has very helpfully put links to people's summary posts in the OP.

I'm not sure if some of the more negative impressions are in there, but I think there's a good balance of opinions.

Well I'm chapter 4 and I'm starting to understand the story arc now (it was a lot to take in)...I have to say that this is one of the easier FF games I've imported as your health regenerates after battle and the optoma change system is great for battles once you've set it up properly.

For those who are further then me a question about something I think is coming up in this chapter...

Any tips for Odin? My friend let me know that I'm in for some fun...

Do you see the different weapons? I've not been following this game closely, but I got Lightning PS3, so I got my hype back. I see Fang has a spear, and Lightning a sword - is it different from weapon to weapon or just different color? Other characters change weapons as well?

desu

Mattlikewhoa said:
Any tips for Odin? My friend let me know that I'm in for some fun...

Quite easy (imho)
He seems to focus on Hope often enough so be sure to have a good healing combo. Otherwise just use B/B or H(Light)/B to get him down. If he seems to hard for you, try using a power smoke before the fight.

desu said:
Quite easy (imho)
He seems to focus on Hope often enough so be sure to have a good healing combo. Otherwise just use B/B or H(Light)/B to get him down. If he seems to hard for you, try using a power smoke before the fight.

It was not as bad as I was told by my friend...

But Odin still messed me up a few times before I could get a good rhythm of switching between optomas. You have to be quick with healing and attacking.

Feeling good, I ended up finishing the rest of the chapter! I'm about 9 hours in and I'm just starting chapter 5...

All_Nippon

Neo Member
Although I've gotten my game already on december 21st I hardly had time to play it. Now I'm in chapter 7.
I kinda feel my weapons don't improve very much when I upgrade. I wonder if it makes any differnce which materials I upgrade my weapons with.

All_Nippon said:
Although I've gotten my game already on december 21st I hardly had time to play it. Now I'm in chapter 7.
I kinda feel my weapons don't improve very much when I upgrade. I wonder if it makes any differnce which materials I upgrade my weapons with.

So far I haven't noticed much change in the weapons other then the experience multiplier....

Khrno

All_Nippon said:

The only difference is that some mats give you more points per upgrade than others, but as far as specific improvements, there's none, just make sure you have x3 bonus before using the upgrade items to get the most points.

desu

Mattlikewhoa said:
It was not as bad as I was told by my friend...

But Odin still messed me up a few times before I could get a good rhythm of switching between optomas. You have to be quick with healing and attacking.

Right thats the key, not sure why some people had problems with him.

onken

Man as soon as I get some time I need to finish this damn game,

I've landed on Grand Pulse, just left the plains and have entered the cave/mine complex. Everyone's got just about 2 classes at level 4

How far off is the end of the story? Combat seems easy enough with my Snow/Lightning/Sasz combo.

Sacha

onken said:
Man as soon as I get some time I need to finish this damn game,

I've landed on Grand Pulse, just left the plains and have entered the cave/mine complex. Everyone's got just about 2 classes at level 4

How far off is the end of the story? Combat seems easy enough with my Snow/Lightning/Sasz combo.

It gets kinda hard in the last two chapters, you'll most likely need to farm a bit. Or avoid a lot of battles.

desu

I got my Ultimanias today, and them to some point I wonder what they did to this game. The concept art shown is just amazing. Obviously you can't create stuff 1:1 from art works. However some of the artworks just have a far superior "feeling/mood" and I don't know why they didn't capture it. Once again this feels like so much lost potential.

onken

Finished the story and now doing some hunts... how the hell am I supposed to
beat the jabotenda? (giant felt cactus monster). at 10k damage a hit, I can't see any amount of levelling up doing the trick, and it's supposed to be rank B,
so there's got be a trick to it, right? Right?!?!

Sacha

onken said:
Finished the story and now doing some hunts... how the hell am I supposed to
beat the jabotenda? (giant felt cactus monster). at 10k damage a hit, I can't see any amount of levelling up doing the trick, and it's supposed to be rank B,
so there's got be a trick to it, right? Right?!?!

I think you can manage it with
lucky break, which you can get by equipping two of these items on a character :

プロキオン (weapon)
ヘヴンズアクシズ (weapon)
アクセルサッシュ (accessory)
エナジーサッシュ (accessory)
イージーチョイス (accessory)
ハントカタログ (accessory)
But you still need a lot of luck to do it like this, so maybe there's a better technique that I'm not aware of.

onken

Sacha said:
I think you can manage it with
lucky break, which you can get by equipping two of these items on a character :

プロキオン (weapon)
ヘヴンズアクシズ (weapon)
アクセルサッシュ (accessory)
エナジーサッシュ (accessory)
イージーチョイス (accessory)
ハントカタログ (accessory)
But you still need a lot of luck to do it like this, so maybe there's a better technique that I'm not aware of.

Cool, I'll give that a go. Had a go at some other stuff and ran right into the
Tonberry which is kicking my ass just as hard. Soon as his health gets near the bottom he fully heals, resets break AND gets stronger, no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Zoe

onken said:
Cool, I'll give that a go. Had a go at some other stuff and ran right into the
Tonberry which is kicking my ass just as hard. Soon as his health gets near the bottom he fully heals, resets break AND gets stronger, no idea what I'm supposed to do.

I've found it's really
a timing thing with the Tonberry. Attack fast, do a preemptive strike if you can.

onken

Zoe said:
I've found it's really
a timing thing with the Tonberry. Attack fast, do a preemptive strike if you can.

Just came back to post this lol, thanks though. What I ended up doing was to
use triple blaster to get him up to about 500%, then pound the crap out of him with attacker/attacker/blaster and pray I got him before the recharge.

Still stumped on the other guy, though :/

BuRT!

onken said:
Cool, I'll give that a go. [/spoiler]

Does he do 10k on all attacks or just thousand needles? I forget, but lucky break and triple attackers. If you get lucky break early you can get him down in like 20 seconds I think.

Zoe

BuRT! said:
Does he do 10k on all attacks or just thousand needles? I forget, but lucky break and triple attackers. If you get lucky break early you can get him down in like 20 seconds I think.

The 10k attack is the only attack he does

onken

So this
lucky break, I just have two of those items on any of my active characters, and then that character has a chance of instantly breaking the enemy at some point during the battle, is that right? What are the odds of it happening, roughly?
Thanks again.

BuRT!

onken said:
So this
lucky break, I just have two of those items on any of my active characters, and then that character has a chance of instantly breaking the enemy at some point during the battle, is that right? What are the odds of it happening, roughly?
Thanks again.

Yea, any character with lucky break has a chance to fill the enemies break bar no matter what percent it is at. The percentage for the proc is pretty low. I don't know the exact number but for mission 55 I had to try like 20 times to get the lucky break and I got it on the first time for the cactuar. If you are banking on lucky break to proc then it's best to have all 3 party members equipped with it.

Another item that is good for some of the harder missions is lightning's Lionheart sword. It allows you to break the enemy a little earlier than usual. For example, if you needed 105% to break she could break them at 80%.

hirokazu

So I'm back in the game after getting my PS3 fixed, which had been out of action since a little after Christmas.

Can anyone link me to a good upgrade material guide? That lists the materials, the EXP they give, cost, EXP BONUS etc. Because I don't think I want to bother doing trial and error on that shit.

onken

BuRT! said:
Yea, any character with lucky break has a chance to fill the enemies break bar no matter what percent it is at. The percentage for the proc is pretty low. I don't know the exact number but for mission 55 I had to try like 20 times to get the lucky break and I got it on the first time for the cactuar. If you are banking on lucky break to proc then it's best to have all 3 party members equipped with it.

Another item that is good for some of the harder missions is lightning's Lionheart sword. It allows you to break the enemy a little earlier than usual. For example, if you needed 105% to break she could break them at 80%.

I see, thanks for the info. But yeah, chance must be pretty low, had it on both of my offensive chars for a 20 minute fight on mission 45, never got it once. It doesn't matter if you're a blaster or an attacker, right?

dramatis

hirokazu said:
So I'm back in the game after getting my PS3 fixed, which had been out of action since a little after Christmas.

Can anyone link me to a good upgrade material guide? That lists the materials, the EXP they give, cost, EXP BONUS etc. Because I don't think I want to bother doing trial and error that on shit.

http://ff13.in/56.html
Click on the weapon name and scroll to get to the EXP cost. Materials give different EXP for different weapons.

onken

hirokazu said:
Thanks.

Damn, it's more complicated than I thought then if it gives different EXP here and there.

Yeah I usually don't bother with it, towards the end you have so much cash and parts it doesn't really matter to much. Just get the multiplier up with cheap shit then pile on all the nice stuff.

RpgN

I remember reading a while ago that FFXIII also has a weapon or accessory (or was it materials?) that could be impossible to know how to get get unless you use a guide, just like FFXII. What was it and how can you obtain it again? You won't get 100% trophy without having this as well, right?

onken

Finally beat the
jabotenda, as you guys said, used some power smoke, then had my two attackers whale away until I got the lucky break, with Hope spamming heal the whole time.

Getting totally destroyed by the adamant(ium?) tortoise though, is there any point going for the legs at all? Took one out but made no freaking difference at all.

RpgN said:
I remember reading a while ago that FFXIII also has a weapon or accessory (or was it materials?) that could be impossible to know how to get get unless you use a guide, just like FFXII. What was it and how can you obtain it again? You won't get 100% trophy without having this as well, right?

Haven't heard of that, in any rate the trophy description says owned every weapon and accessory at least once, there's no mention of materials.

Teknoman

BuRT! said:
You can't beat them all before finishing the story :D Beating the story unlocks one more crystallium level and I am also pretty sure some hunts are just unreachable before then, but maybe not.

So after you beat the game, you can pretty much reload your data, and the new level is open to you?

desu

onken said:
Getting totally destroyed by the adamant(ium?) tortoise though, is there any point going for the legs at all? Took one out but made no freaking difference at all.[/spoiler]

The second leg wants a talk with you :).

BuRT!

onken said:
Getting totally destroyed by the adamant(ium?) tortoise though, is there any point going for the legs at all? Took one out but made no freaking difference at all.

Kill both legs and he falls over.

strat I used: fang/lightning/hope
Give genji gloves to fang so she can break 100k damage and grow egg for 2x exp. Give everyone 2ea. +25% defense. Give lightning a +phys dmg item and hope +magic dmg item. Use their last slot for best choice and good choice.

bla/bla/bla
def/def/def
enh/enh/hlr
atk/enh/hlr
jam/jam/bla
atk/atk/bla

*switch to def/def/def anytime you see him cast quake or shout then switch back*

1. Open with bla/bla/bla. Depending on how soon the adamantaimai attacks, you can either break his leg in two turns or may have to switch to healer before breaking it. Let your turns finish so his break % goes above 500% if you can, but don't spend time waiting for another turn.
2. Once it breaks I switch to enh/enh/hlr and cast bravda+haste on myself(fang). If you have time, cast haste on hope.
3. Switch to atk/enh/hlr and use highwind. If your stats are high it will kill the leg in one strike. If you need another hit then repeat 1-3.
4. Once the leg is down, target his other leg and do a single attack just to get it targeted. Switch to enh/enh/hlr and cast haste+faithda on hope. Switch to bla/bla/bla and break his other leg.
5. Switch to enh/enh/hlr and buff lightning with bravda+haste. Switch to atk/enh/hlr and use highwind to kill the leg. Once the leg is down switch to enh/enh/hlr to refresh bravda+haste on fang (so it lasts the entire time he is fallen over). *He may fall over while you are casting your buffs and interrupt you so either wait or cast right away*
6. Switch to jam/jam/bla and spam weak with fang and lightning should get deshell+depro up around the same time as you. Cast curse/depro/shell if you get weak up before lightning.
7. Switch to bla/bla/bla to break him and then switch immediately to atk/atk/bla. If your stats are high you can kill him in one round, otherwise you will have to repeat 1-7 for a second shot.

onken

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a go. I have to admit I haven't touched jamming since I got free reign over the chars, I'll have to look in to it.

RpgN

onken said:
Haven't heard of that, in any rate the trophy description says owned every weapon and accessory at least once, there's no mention of materials.

I remember reading about it in this thread but my memory is so vague and I'm not sure about it. It was something like, a weapon/accessory being extracted/broken down 3 times at the beginning of chapter 11. And then you get something out of it called Catnip or something? I wish someone would remember! I just started on chapter 11 and don't want to miss things, hoping that the trophies and getting everything in the game will not be impossible like FFXII unless you have a guide.

mehdi_san

I am finally at chapter 13. I was a little bit disappointed there was no trophy or long CG cutscene at the start of this chapter, unlike all the other ones. I really appreciated that little reward.
Anyway, I have a small question about chapter 12.
Towards the end, there's a huge turtle that's following you inside a building, and then falls when the glass under it cracks. Just before that, there are two treasure boxes, but I can only open one before the turtle gets close to me and the cutscene starts. I tried to reload my previous savegame and do it faster, but I can still only get one. So is it meant to be like this, where you can only open one of the 2 boxes?

I've been plugging along and I believe I'm just about finished Chapter 10. I just beat
Cid! I was reading that he has give people some troubles but once I died and figured out his pattern, I beat him on my second try.

The story REALLY ramps up (and the difficulty) in the later chapters...

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
I am finally at chapter 13. I was a little bit disappointed there was no trophy or long CG cutscene at the start of this chapter, unlike all the other ones. I really appreciated that little reward.
Towards the end, there's a huge turtle that's following you inside a building, and then falls when the glass under it cracks. Just before that, there are two treasure boxes, but I can only open one before the turtle gets close to me and the cutscene starts. I tried to reload my previous savegame and do it faster, but I can still only get one. So is it meant to be like this, where you can only open one of the 2 boxes?

I think it's meant to be that way. Didn't really feel too compelled to replay it over and over to try different things though.

desu

mehdi_san said:

Easy solution:
You can return to this place after beating the game. This means dont open them the first time you're there then get strong enough to kill it post game. Then kill it and get both treasure spheres :).

What are the transitions from CGI to gameplay like? I've just been playing Final Fantasy VIII and i'm still floored at how smoothly they can blend the CGI into the real-time - hell, sometimes even letting you control Squall during a cutscene. If FFXIII has stop-start CGI cutscenes with no transitions, I will be disappointed.

Zoe

I NEED SCISSORS said:
What are the transitions from CGI to gameplay like? I've just been playing Final Fantasy VIII and i'm still floored at how smoothly they can blend the CGI into the real-time - hell, sometimes even letting you control Squall during a cutscene. If FFXIII has stop-start CGI cutscenes with no transitions, I will be disappointed.

They're just like in FFXII.

hirokazu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
VII & VIII could do that easily because they had static prerendered backgrounds.

Top Bottom