• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
RpgN said:
I remember reading about it in this thread but my memory is so vague and I'm not sure about it. It was something like, a weapon/accessory being extracted/broken down 3 times at the beginning of chapter 11. And then you get something out of it called Catnip or something? I wish someone would remember! I just started on chapter 11 and don't want to miss things, hoping that the trophies and getting everything in the game will not be impossible like FFXII unless you have a guide.

My memory is a bit fuzzy as well..but I think it's Dash Boots. Gotten by breaking down 3 items and then a Tetra Tiara..or is it Crown..whatever..you actually get one pair of Dash Boots through hunts I believe, and then this is if you want more. So technically you can't miss it and it isn't unobtainable.

mehdi_san

desu said:
Easy solution:
You can return to this place after beating the game. This means dont open them the first time you're there then get strong enough to kill it post game. Then kill it and get both treasure spheres :).

Seriously? Are you sure the cutscene (
with the turtle breaking the glass
) doesn't appear if I don't open any of them the first time?

Vanille

worldrevolution said:
My memory is a bit fuzzy as well..but I think it's Dash Boots. Gotten by breaking down 3 items and then a Tetra Tiara..or is it Crown..whatever..you actually get one pair of Dash Boots through hunts I believe, and then this is if you want more. So technically you can't miss it and it isn't unobtainable.

Yeah, it's the Dash Boots. Before dissembling Tetra Tiara, you have to dissemble four other accessories first (i.e max Tetra Crown + 3 Amulets from dissemble) for some odd reason. Otherwise, Dash Shoes will never show up.

desu

mehdi_san said:
Seriously? Are you sure the cutscene (
with the turtle breaking the glass
) doesn't appear if I don't open any of them the first time?

That's what I did and it worked :).

RpgN

Thank you worldrevolution and Vanille! Now that I have the name of that accessory, I was able to track it down on te FFXIII Japanese wiki. But there it says there are 2 ways to get the Dash Shoes with different requirements:

Tetra Crown:

1. In the shop you buy 3 unneccessary accessories.
2. You keep taking mission 7 over and over again until the monster drops Tetra Crown.
3. When you get Tetra Crown, you fully upgrade it.
4. You dissemble the 3 accessories and then sell them back.
5. If you dissemble a fully upgraded Tetra Crown you'll get a Hermes shoes
6. With that fully upgraded, it becomes Hai Chitan Ishi and if you upgrade that once you'll have Dash Boots.

Tetra Tiara:
1. Same as Tetra Crown.
2. Same as Tetra Crown until the monster drops Tetra Tiara.
3. When you get Tetra Tiara you need to upgrade it fully.
4. Same as Tertra Crown.
5. When you dissemble a fully upgraded Tetra Tiara, you get the Dash Boots.

I'm kind of confused if I understood requirement 4 and 6 right of Tetra Crown. Is it true?

duckroll

Okay here's how it works. After upgrading either the Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara to the max level, you need to disassemble 3 accessories you had before you obtained that Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara, before disassembling the fully upgraded Tetra Crown or Tiara. I have no idea why the game even tracks something as mundane as that, but I guess that's the team's idea of "secrets"... *cough*

So the idea is that you buy 3 accessories before you get the Tetra Crown/Tiara, just so you know which accessories are safe to disassemble... or something.

Fully upgraded Tetra Crown -> Hermes Shoes
Fully upgraded Tetra Tiara -> Dash Shoes

Fully upgraded Hermes Shoes + Titanite Ash = Dash Shoes
Fully upgraded Tetra Crown + Hihiirokane = Tetra Tiara

RpgN

^
Thanks Duckroll, It seems I was confused about requirement 6 of Tetra Crown. I hope I'll get a Tetra Tiara, sounds a little easier to get.

EDIT

And the Hihiirokane wasn't mentioned either? From what I have read 0_0

duckroll

Titanite Ash and Hihiirokane are special upgrade materials. Each weapon and accessory requires a special upgrade material at max level to change into another item. It's fixed for each weapon/accessory so when the equipment is at max level the only upgrade material you'll be able to use on it after that will be the right special upgrade material if you have it.

BuRT!

mehdi_san said:
Ok thanks !! Now, I just hope I still have a savepoint just before that :(

I just killed it when I was there. I used a summon to knock it down and just spammed death on it. The two containers only had crafting materials anyway.

Teknoman said:
So after you beat the game, you can pretty much reload your data, and the new level is open to you?

yes

louis89

People who have experience importing games: is it likely that the price of the Japanese version of FFXIII on YesAsia will drop after the US/European release?

Thanks

Vanille

louis89 said:
People who have experience importing games: is it likely that the price of the Japanese version of FFXIII on YesAsia will drop after the US/European release?

Thanks

Never used YesAsia myself, but I wouldn't count on it. You can currently find brand new copies of the Japanese version going on eBay for as low as $45, though, and Play-Asia is selling the Asian version for $56. Now seems like a pretty good time to buy.

Zoe said:
Genji Glove
GET!!! :D

Congrats. =D

onken

duckroll said:
Okay here's how it works. After upgrading either the Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara to the max level, you need to disassemble 3 accessories you had before you obtained that Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara, before disassembling the fully upgraded Tetra Crown or Tiara. I have no idea why the game even tracks something as mundane as that, but I guess that's the team's idea of "secrets"... *cough*

So the idea is that you buy 3 accessories before you get the Tetra Crown/Tiara, just so you know which accessories are safe to disassemble... or something.

Fully upgraded Tetra Crown -> Hermes Shoes
Fully upgraded Tetra Tiara -> Dash Shoes

Fully upgraded Hermes Shoes + Titanite Ash = Dash Shoes
Fully upgraded Tetra Crown + Hihiirokane = Tetra Tiara

Nuts, I guess there's the downside to avoiding all game discussion until after beating the story. But I guess it shouldn't be that bad, I haven't sold any of my gear at all so I still have buttloads of iron bangles which I got right at the beginning. That should do the trick, right?

I just started chapter 12 and I'm starting to really dig this game. I don't like how long it took the story to ramp up but it's keeping me drawn in now. I didn't think I was taking my time with this but I'm a few minutes out of 40 hours total...

onken

Gleh, trying to aquire some of those wretched torapezohedoron but I have to be doing something wrong here. I must have killed about 13 adamantaimai (summon, deshell, death seems to be most efficient), the first two dropped platinum ingots but the rest, nothing, zip, nada. I have 3 "best choice" equipped, though fat lot of good it's done me. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and the drop rate really isn't this shit.

desu

Drop rate is pretty low! Where are you hunting for them?

Try to improve your killing time (no summon but by pure strength) and reload every time you don't get a drop at all. It can easily take 30-50 of them to even get a single Trap.

onken

Initially the great plains but lately I've doing the one in the city for some variety. I don't think I can quite kill one yet by way of strength (which is pretty depressing considering how far I am, got any good tactics?) not without burning through support smoke, at least. Interesting you say I should reload each time, any particular reason for this? I could do with the CP is all...

desu

I used the
Eden
one too.

The reason for reloading is that if you're not getting a drop at all you have to recover your TP which most likely takes far longer than just doing a quick reload. Also first thing I did post game was getting the Grow Egg, so you should get more than enough CP. Also not sure long do you plan to play this game, but your characters will be maxed out looooong before getting all the money/traps needed for all Tophies. So the lost CP doesn't really hurt.

As for strategies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysTSUCWgMzU

mehdi_san

Am I the only one pissed by the fact that Sony didn't release a white vertical stand to go with the lightning edition ps3? I was looking for one back in December, but my account wasn't validated yet so I couldn't complain here, so now I do it. Maybe I am the only one who wants his ps3 standing vertically, but they should still release one. The black one doesn't go well with the lightning ps3 at all :(

onken

desu said:
I used the
Eden
one too.

The reason for reloading is that if you're not getting a drop at all you have to recover your TP which most likely takes far longer than just doing a quick reload. Also first thing I did post game was getting the Grow Egg, so you should get more than enough CP. Also not sure long do you plan to play this game, but your characters will be maxed out looooong before getting all the money/traps needed for all Tophies. So the lost CP doesn't really hurt.

As for strategies:

Wow there's really that much more to do?
I've 5-starred 62/64. Surely all that's left after that is every weapon/item trophy which shouldn't be THAT bad because you can break down maxed-out tier 3 weapons and re-use the traps, right?

I need a method without support smoke though :(

desu

onken said:
Wow there's really that much more to do?
I've 5-starred 62/64. Surely all that's left after that is every weapon/item trophy which shouldn't be THAT bad because you can break down maxed-out tier 3 weapons and re-use the traps, right?

Not really, if you have done all the missions already there isn't much to do anymore. Getting all the money for buying all the weapons still take some time.

What I wonder, you did 62/64 already, shouldn't you be able to beat everything easily now? I guess by the time you beat this missions you most likely have most of the best equipment. You shouldn't need Summons anymore to fight them.

onken said:
I need a method without support smoke though :(

Why that? They are pretty cheap and fasten up the battle a bit.

onken

desu said:
Not really, if you have done all the missions already there isn't much to do anymore. Getting all the money for buying all the weapons still take some time.

What I wonder, you did 62/64 already, shouldn't you be able to beat everything easily now? I guess by the time you beat this missions you most likely have most of the best equipment. You shouldn't need Summons anymore to fight them.

Why that? They are pretty cheap and fasten up the battle a bit.

Since you mentioned it I just tried and killed it fairly easy without smoke, just adding a buffing round at the start. I guess the smoke is pretty cheap when you look at the bigger picture, I'll probably switch to that. I can just sell those platinum ingots, right? They have no other uses?

Ristlager said:
Has anyone here actually finished all the quest/hunts?

Last one left, haven't even attempted it yet, it's a real pita apparently.

onken

Thanks, you've been a great help. One last question:

The every weapon/accessory trophy: please tell me I don't need each variety of the tier 3 weapons? e.g. 6 different Lances of Kane, one made from each different starting weapon. Making 6 tier 3 weapons I can handle, 36? I don't think so.

desu

Right you don't need every form maxed out. A single time with whatever weapon you like, so one lvl 3 for each character.

onken

Thank fuck for that. Thanks again!

e~ got my first trap, and all it took was 45 kills! :suicide:

e~~ yeah double checked,
breaking down a maxed-out tier 3 weapon yields 3 traps, so you can effectively buy 2 for ~1.3m (the cost of buying a tier 1 and then maxing it out)
Not particularly practical, but good to know.

e~~~ made an alternative save as a test run and spent all my money on maxing out a Lance of Kane, tested it out on a adamantaimai and got a trap first time, now what am I supposed to do :lol

onken

Well maxed out all my characters and can beat the adamantaimai without smoke or a buffing round, got 5 trapezohedrons now. Problem is those plat ingots are few and far between and I'm going to need some serious bread to get tier 2 on all 48 weapons, not to mention buying all the Gilgamesh weapons. Is there really no better way to farm cash? Also should I being using "good choice" instead of "best choice" if I want the ingots instead of trap?

Also, dark matter. I assume the only way to get it is to grind Xaio Lon Gui, is the drop rate as shitty as trap?

Whoooo I finished it today! My final time was 46:18! That last boss was a treat! I'm not going to spoil the chain of events but man that was a long fight (for me anyways). I'm going to start doing some of the quests to top off my characters magic and weapons...

I thought I was going to get the NA version of this as well, but I've decided to pass on it...I don't think I like this version enough to justify the purchase...

Vanille

iratA said:
So is there really no way to go back to pickup things you've missed. Chapter select etc.

Chapter 11-13 are revisitable post-game. Regarding items, the only missables are the Elemental Rings. If you sell them, you're screwed.

cryptic

In my fantasy land this game would bomb horribly in sales, receive terrible reviews, and usher in a swathe of ff12 clones with more mature storylines and aesthetics.

I'm so pissed I waited all these years for this completely unappealing dredge.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I have a questions...

Does each character come with their own specific job class or is it ambigious and up to the player to decide their class during the game?

I hate being given the choice I much rather be told this character is a mage...this character is a healer etc etc

Zoe

F#A#Oo said:
I have a questions...

Does each character come with their own specific job class or is it ambigious and up to the player to decide their class during the game?

I hate being given the choice I much rather be told this character is a mage...this character is a healer etc etc

Set classes, pretty much based on their personalities.

VeRKK

Neo Member
I need help with the special "doom" boss with Lightning and Hope, i tried to use all different skills and tried to combine skills like medic and commando to use both things, but i couldn't pass him, can anyone give me a tip please? Thank you.

Top Bottom