• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

The download says its going to take around 500~ minutes on both my PS3 and PC. Is this normal for the beginning of a beta weekend?

So I got in and...it's really...good?

Colour me shocked. I liked it so much that I've decided I'll stop once I hit 15 and I'm picking it up in August.

WolvenOne

I've actually stopped worrying about, "burning myself out," so to speak. I've been enjoying grinding some for the past few days, even though it's fairly slow without any story events.

Between the downtime, and the extra story events, I should be okay. It'll only be a day or twos work to get me back to the 20's, where the story content in the beta ended. The voice overs will help keep that time fresh.

Whompa

Oh, good, "Faust Fortwood," doesn't trigger fit any of the bad name bingo slots. Good thing I went with a name I would want to keep, rather than going throw-away.

I will admit I've seen a LOT of bad names in the game so far. Thankfully I think at least some people will switch to different names for the retail release.

Oh man I've seen a few of these...it's real sad.

As far as the bad names thing goes, I've seen a lot of them as well.

My favorite that I've seen so far was "Demigoddess Lighting". Not sure if that person spelled their last name wrong on purpose or not... lol

I'm not sure the arbitrary apostrophe is that bad. Some people have them because because it's supposedly a Miqo'te naming convention and they're trying to stay true to the lore.

Another newbie question here, being new to MMOs I was wondering if different NA servers are better suited for different regions? I started on Ultros and didn't have many issues with lag, but last weekend I made another character on Gilgamesh and I've been experiencing a lot of it this week.

So do all NA/EU servers perform the same for their respective regions or does it depend on your location as well? In other words, will I be better off in certain servers compared to others when it comes to lag and performance in general? My connection is pretty good and when selecting my character it always says "Excellent" but the lag has been really bad ever since I started playing on Gilgamesh.

Tamanon

Banned
So I've messed around a bit in the Beta thus far with a Gladiator. The battle system seems pretty normal thus far, but is there more complexity than just using weapon skills in order? Is there an equivalent to a Weapon Chain/Spell Burst concept?

I'm only up to level 8 thus far.

grendelrt

So I've messed around a bit in the Beta thus far with a Gladiator. The battle system seems pretty normal thus far, but is there more complexity than just using weapon skills in order? Is there an equivalent to a Weapon Chain/Spell Burst concept?

I'm only up to level 8 thus far.

it gets better the higher you go with skills, usually around 15 it gets interesting. gladiators rough though because you get lots of buffs and stuff instead of actual attacks. I preferred playing marauder for that reason. remember that you can use other class skills as well, I use flash for gladiator on my marauder for example. there are also skills you get from quests that aren't listed, like shield toss at lvl 15. limit break is the only group skill right now I think.

I've been playing around with my 31 Thaumaturge, and it's kind of interesting. A LOT more entertaining to solo with than Conjurer, that's for damn sure. The concept of successive Fire spells doing more and more damage but costing more MP, and the umbral ice stuff returning your MP is a neat mechanic. The downside of this is you really have no resources to worry about because you can just transpose or cast a blizzard spell to get full mana back in seconds.

I feel like DoTs overall need some serious attention because most of them are pathetic and do very little damage. Aero (CNJ), in particular, does less than Stone does over its full duration. Aren't DoTs supposed to do MORE damage over a longer period of time than direct casting spells? Otherwise, why would you waste the mana using Aero? Thunder II is a bit better designed on THM because of the proc that lets you do instant full damage (and it does better damage than Aero in general).

After playing a bit of THM, I realize now why they did away with elemental weaknesses for enemy types. Most of your damage as THM comes from casting Fire, so if you couldn't do that on a boss like Ifrit, you would be out of luck. So while this makes for an interesting mechanic (successive Fires for more damage), it also takes some strategy in figuring out what certain enemies are weak to like in other FF games.

Also, I was looking at the abilities you get as you level, and the level 50 one is a little odd. "Rush to a target party member's side. Unable to cast if bound." I just cannot find a lot of uses for this because if you want to use it to get out of a void zone or whatever in a boss battle, it'd be faster to just run out. By the time you target someone and hit the button, you could have already been out of the circle anyways. That ability sounds far more useful for a tank than a THM/Black Mage. The tank being able to basically teleport to a healer who is getting hit by enemies sounds a lot better. And I looked over the Black Mage specific abilities, and you get Convert (exchanges some health for some MP). Why would you ever need this when you can just toss a quick blizzard and get back your MP without losing health? White Mage needs that ability...badly.

Aeana

I made myself stop after the first phase 3 test so that I wouldn't burn out and hate when I have to redo everything later anyway. It's getting tough. Withdrawal. (._. )

Riposte

Has there been any data on how levels (and possibly classes) affect how much attributes give (e.g. PIE -> MP)? I know it isn't consistent from some testing I've done.

does ifrit drop anything? i just fought him for the first time, and after watching the cutscene after the battle i was dropped back into thanalan...

I made myself stop after the first phase 3 test so that I wouldn't burn out and hate when I have to redo everything later anyway. It's getting tough. Withdrawal. (._. )

I want to stop as well because there isn't much more I could do besides leveling up further anyways. I really don't want to get too far and then have to redo it in like 2 weeks. D;

does ifrit drop anything? i just fought him for the first time, and after watching the cutscene after the battle i was dropped back into thanalan...

Nope. The story version of Ifrit doesn't drop anything. I think the level 50 / "Hard Mode" one will, though.

solaaire

Neo Member
Been really enjoying the beta, just hit level 16, and so far it's my best experience with an MMO since vanilla WoW.

I do have a couple of gripes that could probably be fixed, but I'm unable to post on the beta forums for some reason:
-Can't do instance based quests while in the queue for duty finder, kinda lame.
-Got the duty finder tutorial pop up when I hit level 10... But I couldn't actually use it until I completed a certain quest, which I didn't stumble upon until I was level 11. Why not just give me the tutorial when I can actually use the thing! I spent a solid hour trying to figure why guildleves were still locked, pretty frustrating.
-The map. I don't have any specific suggestions but man, the map in WoW is so much more intuitive to use!

Other than those minor hiccups I've been loving it.

OH NO

i just got a green body piece of armor. 'foestriker's tabard'.

not my pic but for a LNC it looks beast.
cbe0072070e3b8f5a3ce5945ce7aa492.png

im gonna hate losing this :(

edit: sorry the pic is so big, its all i could find!

Fvash

Neo Member

Hahahah shoot I think I fall into the "Intentionally misspelled knockoff" category! Started as "Fvash" in FFXI cuz I was into Trigun at the time; liked the sense of it, so it's stuck everywhere since.

Sorry guys :(

lol

As an archer what should I put attribute points into?

DEX I believe. Pump nothing but into DEX.

This of course makes sense for DPS—but is there anything to be said for putting anything into MND for BRD?

omlet

This of course makes sense for DPS—but is there anything to be said for putting anything into MND for BRD?

So you can cast Cure 1 for 150HP instead of 140 on your tank with 5000 HP? lol

No.

I feel like DoTs overall need some serious attention because most of them are pathetic and do very little damage. Aero (CNJ), in particular, does less than Stone does over its full duration. Aren't DoTs supposed to do MORE damage over a longer period of time than direct casting spells? Otherwise, why would you waste the mana using Aero? Thunder II is a bit better designed on THM because of the proc that lets you do instant full damage (and it does better damage than Aero in general).

Aero may be weak but the Thunder line is very strong against targets that will live long enough to make it worth it. All three Thunder DoTs on a target is a lot of damage for very little MP. I wish I had the link offhand but the math has been done and Thunder DoT stacking is stronger than Fire spamming (again, on targets that warrant it, like bosses that don't got down before you can get a good DoT cycle in).

Tendo

I'm about to make my first character but I'm a bit confused on the difference between marauder and gladiator. Is it just weapon types but both are tanks? Either better than the other?

And how are conjurers for soloing?

Aero may be weak but the Thunder line is very strong against targets that will live long enough to make it worth it. All three Thunder DoTs on a target is a lot of damage for very little MP. I wish I had the link offhand but the math has been done and Thunder DoT stacking is stronger than Fire spamming (again, on targets that warrant it, like bosses that don't got down before you can get a good DoT cycle in).

Oh, I didn't even realize you could stack the multiple Thunder DoTs - I just assumed they overwrote each other. Interesting. I'll have to give that a try on some FATE NMs. I really wish I had gotten my THM to 50 before 1.0 shut down, but I stopped at 30 and focused on getting my CNJ/WHM to 50 instead.

omlet

I'm about to make my first character but I'm a bit confused on the difference between marauder and gladiator. Is it just weapon types but both are tanks?
Both are tanks. If you're familiar with WoW, WAR/MRD is more like a DK tank and PLD/GLD is more like a Warrior. If that made no sense to you, then... MRDs are tanks that do better AoE damage, have higher HP, lower defense, and restore HP on attacks. GLD is built for less "spiky" incoming damage...they have a bit lower HP but better damage reduction and good single-target DPS. There are other differences, and they play differently, but they're both tanks and both good tanks.

Either better than the other?
No.

Competent but not as fast as other classes (adding cross-class skills can help CNJ a lot).

I'm about to make my first character but I'm a bit confused on the difference between marauder and gladiator. Is it just weapon types but both are tanks? Either better than the other?

Both are tanks, but one uses a sword and shield and is your more traditional Paladin-like tank with good defense, but not a ton of damage output (at least compared to other classes afaik). Marauder uses an axe and keeps aggro by doing some nice damage, but they tend to take more damage themselves than a GLD/PLD.

Conjurers can solo decently in terms of survivability, but holy shit are they boring to play at early levels. All you can do is a very weak Aero DoT and Spam Stone 1. As someone else said, cross-linking skills with THM helps a little. I'm just glad my main already has 50 CNJ so I don't have to level that again. :p

Hah is that really all it'd do? BRD songs aren't affected? So BRD is really mainly about DPS, it seems—not so much "support"

What they did to BRD (compared to how it was in FFXI) is my biggest disappointment with XIV.

omlet

Hah is that really all it'd do? BRD songs aren't affected? So BRD is really mainly about DPS, it seems—not so much "support"

XIV bard is an archer that has situational buffs. Yoshi has explained the reasoning (based on real history and on active gameplay design) multiple times.

If you want to help via spells as a BRD, cast Stoneskin not Cure. Because Stoneskin is awesome. Because it scales to the target's HP no matter what level/stats of the caster.

Thank God that stupid "play songs and stand around like an idiot" job from XI is gone.

Teletraan1

Banned
Well, I don't know if every AoE attack has a latency issue, but I remember noticing that for the goblin bomb toss, if you leave the circle before it disappears but after the animation of the tossing has gone off, you will still be hit. So I am unsure if that's working as intended or not. I simply operate under the rule of thumb not to wait until the last second to escape the circle :)

With how random it is my new rule of thumb is to leave immediately. Same with frontal cone attacks etc. I hesitated for a second earlier today but still managed to get behind the mob and still got hit with a frontal cone attack. The first time I fought Ifrit those explosions he does sub 50% killed me while I was at least 5-10yards outside of them. I have been hit with more heartstoppers than I care to admit while taking the time to move. My latency is excellent. They really need to fix that for release or raiding will be worthless in this game.

Fvash

Neo Member
Conjurers can solo decently in terms of survivability, but holy shit are they boring to play at early levels. All you can do is a very weak Aero DoT and Spam Stone 1. As someone else said, cross-linking skills with THM helps a little. I'm just glad my main already has 50 CNJ so I don't have to level that again. :p

This is the reason I'm thinking of starting CNJ and taking it straight to 15 thru main quest stuff, before moving on to ARC...

What they did to BRD (compared to how it was in FFXI) is my biggest disappointment with XIV.

But this makes me sad about that plan :(

Was thinking to move into BRD eventually, but don't want to be a liability partying with friends.

XIV bard is an archer that has situational buffs. Yoshi has explained the reasoning (based on real history and on active gameplay design) multiple times.

If you want to help via spells as a BRD, cast Stoneskin not Cure. Because Stoneskin is awesome. Because it scales to the target's HP no matter what level/stats of the caster.

Thank God that stupid "play songs and stand around like an idiot" job from XI is gone.

Grr so I would need to take CNJ at least to 34 then.

But this makes me sad about that plan :(

Was thinking to move into BRD eventually, but don't want to be a liability partying with friends.

I realize FFXI BRD wasn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I'm a huge fan of support and healing classes in MMOs, and I typically do not level/play a lot of damage dealing classes. I don't know why, but I just don't enjoy them all that much. The only damaging classes I like are black mage/warlock types. I will probably still level up Archer and go BRD at some point, but it just won't be the same.

Khrno

But that's your own fault. This game is not FFXI. We all (ex-FFXI players) have to move over. Some things are still there, nostalgia-wise, but this is no FFXI, nor it's going to bring back what FFXI did (well or bad).

Also, this is not about what they did to BRD, this is what they did to ARC, since it was the best DD in the game pre-1.19, then jobs came around and well, nothing happened to BRD, since that's just a very different job on every FF, but the great ARC dps was no more.

The victim here is not Bard, is the Archer.

Kenai

I really hope I get into Beta 4. I played back in 1.0 but have basically no log in info aside from that key from the CE box, and I'm not really sure how to go about recovering it.

morikaze

Banned
The two part names is something that I think should really have been removed after 1.0. It makes it so hard to come up with a name i'm actually happy with.

But that's your own fault. This game is not FFXI. We all (ex-FFXI players) have to move over. Some things are still there, nostalgia-wise, but this is no FFXI, nor it's going to bring back what FFXI did (well or bad).

Also, this is not about what they did to BRD, this is what they did to ARC, since it was the best DD in the game pre-1.19, then jobs came around and well, nothing happened to BRD, since that's just a very different job on every FF, but the great ARC dps was no more.

Oh I know. A FFXI version of Bard wouldn't really fit with the way this game plays, so it's understandable that they changed it. That doesn't mean I can't still be disappointed considering how much I loved Bard in FFXI, though. :p

omlet

Well, the same could be said of most classes besides THM (that they were completely eclipsed by jobs in most cases, which was kind of the point, I think).

In 1.9-1.23 BRD was able to provide such powerful support to a party that they didn't NEED a damage increase--they would have been totally broken if they'd gotten a comparable damage boot in addition to all their powerful buffs. Either way, ARC's back as a strong DPS in ARR and BRD feels well balanced (I haven't parsed, but from killing stuff with friends it seems like BRD's damage is a lot better compared to other DDs than it was in 1.x while on the flip side its buffs are not as strong).

Khrno

Oh I know. A FFXI version of Bard wouldn't really fit with the way this game plays, so it's understandable that they changed it. That doesn't mean I can't still be disappointed considering how much I loved Bard in FFXI, though. :p

I understand what you mean. I loved DRK, I beat CoP as one even when some people told me I'd never get to Sea as one, that I had to levle SMN, and funny enough my static was the first one from that shitty EU LS I was in back in 2005. But the DRK that might come to ARR won't be anything like XI's, but when it comes I'm going to make it my main job regardless of how it plays.

Fvash

Neo Member
Wait, what? Liability? ARC is a fantastic DPS in this game and so is BRD as long as they're not playing a song that reduces your damage.

Maybe that's kind of what I'm lamenting. If BRD is basically DPS, it's hard for me to see the point in their songs.

It's also hard for me to talk speculatively like this, without experience.

In 1.9-1.23 BRD was able to provide such powerful support to a party that they didn't NEED a damage increase--they would have been totally broken if they'd gotten a comparable damage boot in addition to all their powerful buffs. Either way, ARC's back as a strong DPS in ARR and BRD feels well balanced (I haven't parsed, but from killing stuff with friends it seems like BRD's damage is a lot better compared to other DDs than it was in 1.x while on the flip side its buffs are not as strong).

OK this makes some sense.

The two part names is something that I think should really have been removed after 1.0. It makes it so hard to come up with a name i'm actually happy with.

I KNOW—I have gone literally weeks stressing over a list of candidates.

Khrno

Well, the same could be said of most classes besides THM (that they were completely eclipsed by jobs in most cases, which was kind of the point, I think). In 1.9-1.23 BRD was able to provide such powerful support to a party that they didn't NEED a damage increase--they would have been totally broken if they'd gotten a comparable damage boot in addition to all their powerful buffs.

That's what I'm saying, all jobs improved their classes, you could argue about BLM and WAR, since THM was really overpowered due to being able to get basically any skill from all classes, and MRD was a very strong dps that could tank. But their functionality remained the same.

However, ARC didn't, it went from a pure ranged-dps class, to a support job that, although their role was critical for Garuda, but besides the bad design of speedruns, I would debate the usefulness of BRD over pre-1.19 ARC. Even without the job, as a class, post 1.19 Arc was nothing compared pre-update.

------------------------------------------------

This probably has already been debated, but since Teknoman brought it to my attention, I never saw it being talk about:

f23ZpGt.jpg

Mamool Jas are indeed already in the game, and they didn't come just to buy sausages in Limsa.

--------------------------------------------------

Also another thing I want to mention which just blew my oblivious mind:

Ldmohee.png

Pinks have random stats, coloured me surprised, would have never noticed it if I didn't keep casting Need on all tank gear.

.la1n

You've made the best choice, I played up until phase 3 test 3 but had to stop myself because I know how painful it will be to redo everything.

WolvenOne

BTW, I've been meaning to ask. Do stat boosts from other jobs carry over in any way to other jobs? I mean, I know that 1 to 1 carry over wouldn't work, since it'd break the game instantly. What about things like, Bonus attributes points or whatever though? Something subtle like that.

The only reason I ask, is because those Bonus points are so rare, that I worry about mis-using them. I've been playing a GLD of course, and I've put almost all of those points into Strength, since I have a high Vitality stat by default, and I tend to assume killing enemies faster will spare me and my protectorates more damage.

However, I tend to fear that'll come back to bite me later on, or that I'm doing myself a disservice by ignoring the dexterity stat.

So, it'd be nice to either be able to re-roll, or to apply those bonus points across the various jobs. I'd guess re-rolling would be easier though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom