• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capella

I really like the new song so far after a second listen. I can't wait until we get to hear the full song.

Well, I lost hope for customization. Maybe the live letter redeems.... who knows.

Live letter is probably going to focus on 3.55 stuff though isn't it? I assume that we'll get battle changes, customization, etc. in another live letter between 3.55 and launch.

AgeEighty

My FC mates and I were loving everything we saw tonight. I told them "Watch, I'll go on GAF and there will be a bunch of doom and gloom." Was not disappointed.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The main problem is they didn't really... say anything much new about content either?

'There will be dungeons, there will be new areas, there will be new primals'. Which is fine and cool but it's all stuff we kind of expected- up to Samurai being a dps. There's nothing really gamechanging which for the second (arguably third) expansion for an MMO that's base systems are getting a bit long in the tooth is a little demoralising. The only new thing gameplay wise they went into anything approaching specifics for was Samurai, which was fine, and 'increased housing capacity' which is... not really important.

CLBridges

Everything I've seen looks great! Can't wait to try out the new jobs but will get BRD to 70 first. I've been thinking about switching to WHM, but I'll wait to hear the battle system changes. Stormblood can't come soon enough.

They had already said that would be coming later, so I can't imagine why.

Not all of us knew or remembered that going in. Its not hard to imagine why at all.

Those changes will determine alot for the future of this game because the systems they have in place now can't sustain this game.

AgeEighty

Not all of us knew or remembered that going in. Its not hard to imagine why at all.

Those changes will determine alot for the future of this game because the systems they have in place now can't sustain this game.

I think you may be under the impression that the battle system revisions are going to be more major than I expect they're going to be. In any case, knowing what they are now vs. in April isn't going to make much of a difference.

Naturally though, people are going to focus on the one piece of news they didn't get.

Allard

The main problem is they didn't really... say anything much new about content either?

'There will be dungeons, there will be new areas, there will be new primals'. Which is fine and cool but it's all stuff we kind of expected- up to Samurai being a dps. There's nothing really gamechanging which for the second (arguably third) expansion for an MMO that's base systems are getting a bit long in the tooth is a little demoralising. The only new thing gameplay wise they went into anything approaching specifics for was Samurai, which was fine, and 'increased housing capacity' which is... not really important.

To you, don't get me wrong I want them to have more changes too, but if there anything coming I get the impression its something they are still keeping hidden, not because of some grand secret but because it might be an idea that doesn't really work out in initial testing and they want to actually announce it when they know its coming. There is actually a ton of content that they started in Heavensward that the expansion equivalents haven't been announced yet (New PotD style dungeon content, new large scale PvP content they hinted at, squadron content hinted was coming). I think what we should see with this announced info, is this is what we should expect to be in the game at the time of 4.0 (with exception to the 24 man raid which naturally will be coming in 4.1).

Well, time to finish leveling up my WHM so I can relieve help all those gullible poor DPS players out of their money get through the story content, after all my weeb house won't pay for itself everyone deserves to have fun

Tee hee
My FC mates and I were loving everything we saw tonight. I told them "Watch, I'll go on GAF and there will be a bunch of doom and gloom." Was not disappointed.
I was just expecting more detailed info is all. I'm happy with everything we saw, I just need actual details on the battle system changes because that's kind of a big deal

Omnicent

Man I hope SAM can move when chargin/using there special move or moving cancels the action and not lock you in place.
If not then SAM will be the defacto floor tank (it will be a fusion of jumps and leylines. boss will mark you with an aoe).
Heck even if you can move, but cancel it I can see most SAM not budging

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
To you, don't get me wrong I want them to have more changes too, but if there anything coming I get the impression its something they are still keeping hidden, not because of some grand secret but because it might be an idea that doesn't really work out in initial testing and they want to actually announce it when they know its coming. There is actually a ton of content that they started in Heavensward that the expansion equivalents haven't been announced yet (New PotD style dungeon content, new large scale PvP content they hinted at, squadron content hinted was coming). I think what we should see with this announced info, is this is what we should expect to be in the game at the time of 4.0 (with exception to the 24 man raid which naturally will be coming in 4.1).

Yeah, and it's fine for the people who enjoy that stuff, but housing is restricted to a certain percentage of each server so I think it's fair to not fine it that exciting! And while those reasons are true and it's likely more 'they haven't finished it yet' than 'there is absolutely nothing' I think it's fair to be disappointed that a big, final 'fanfest' with an hour devoted to the expansion content showed more side things and pretty graphics than actual gameplay? Like, they scheduled the fanfest, so if it's too early to show anything too important off that's on them!

Hahaha, like clockwork.

People don't like games here, they are prisoners of them.

Hey, there are plenty of good games! FF5, DQ5, FE5, KoF '95, Fallout 2ive.

Just call it 'Stormblood 5' and everything will be fine.

Man I hope SAM can move when chargin/using there special move or moving cancels the action and not lock you in place.
If not then SAM will be the defacto floor tank (it will be a fusion of jumps and leylines. boss will mark you with an aoe).
Heck even if you can move, but cancel it I can see most SAM not budging

While it's possible they'd go with such a terrible idea, it's unlikely. There's nothing really indicating that's the case either I believe? I mean the video shows the samurai standing still, but so did every video showcasing a class because the animations when you're moving look wonky quite often. You might have a charge system that lets you charge up while moving though.

Stuff looks great to me, but I wasn't expecting more or different stuff anyway. I was already assuming it was gonna be SAM and if it was that it'd be a DPS, it just makes more sense to add DPS classes when most people play DPS anyway. Heavensward had faster dungeon queues while leveling but that only lasted like 2weeks and was only relevant until cap at which point queues were normal again, cause it turns out DPS players for the most part want to play DPS classes, not tanks/healers. I believe role distribution is pretty much the same as 2.0 even after adding 1tank and 1healer. And if they want to speed up leveling, all they have to do is make the 50-60 dungeons worth doing when lvling to 70(in Heavensward they gave no xp for a long time so running the 50queue was terrible and the 1-49 was meh too). Well that and you can just PotD anyway.

I knew the gameplay stuff wasn't going to be shown or only as a small teaser, not cause they said so but because that's what they did with Heavensward too, they revealed the classes but the older classes new skills/new LBs and whatever else came later in like april or may during one of the live letters, it was a pretty long one too and they showed a lot of stuff like different flying mounts, concept art for AF2, some actual gameplay and stuff like that.

The focus on Doma and the far east is a bit surprising, but makes sense if they felt Ala Mhigo was going to be too boring visually(and honestly, don't need a 2nd Thanalan). And fits with the class obviously. And lore wise it makes sense to go fix the stuff there too before the inevitable war with the Garleans.

Lanrutcon

Gatherer question: what's the endgame gathering gear progression? I'm about to hit 60 in Mining. I've got melded lvl 55 gear, and I just had a look at the lvl 58 blue script gear (and it's not better). Is there like, red script gear or something? What turn ins do I use to gear up from here?

So we are getting both Ala Mhigo and Doma in 4.0?
Yep
Gatherer question: what's the endgame gathering gear progression? I'm about to hit 60 in Mining. I've got melded lvl 55 gear, and I just had a look at the lvl 58 blue script gear (and it's not better). Is there like, red script gear or something? What turn ins do I use to gear up from here?
Red scrips work the same as blue scrips, they're just harder to get. Once you're 60 you can use blue scrips to get your job's AF2 which can then be upgraded using red scrip tokens.

Progression goes AF2 > base melded Ironworks gear > upgraded AF2 with red scrips > augmented melded Ironworks gear. If you have money, skip scrips and get Augmented Ironworks equipment.

Lanrutcon

Yep

Red scrips work the same as blue scrips, they're just harder to get. Once you're 60 you can use blue scrips to get your job's AF2 which can then be upgraded using red scrip tokens.

Progression goes AF2 > base melded Ironworks gear > upgraded AF2 with red scrips > augmented melded Ironworks gear. If you have money, skip scrips and get Augmented Ironworks equipment.

So blue script armor is the final option before you have to get crafted gear?

Edit: Ah, nvm. Prices on my server are nuts. By the time I can afford the gear or farm the scripts the expansion will be here.

Pachimari

My goal should be to complete ARR within the next week then, so I can finally get to start up Heavensward and run through it before Stormblood hits. Thankfully I got a few months still. And I only got about 50 MSQs left in ARR, although I hear there's a huge grind coming up at around lvl 46 or so.

My goal should be to complete ARR within the next week then, so I can finally get to start up Heavensward and run through it before Stormblood hits. Thankfully I got a few months still. And I only got about 50 MSQs left in ARR, although I hear there's a huge grind coming up at around lvl 46 or so.
I wouldn't call it huge, quests will skip a few levels so you'll have to level up on your own between 46 and 50 which if you don't grind will take a few days of roulletes and FATEs.

Jayhawk

Completed EU fan fest wondrous tails already including one shot of 24 man Ultima trial. RIP monk in party died. I went NIN for that trick attack.

Munba

So awesome exp it seems.
New worldmap is bigger than entire Eorzea lol... double budget here we come!

C48o1ccW8AQDEQK.jpg

Jolkien

Still no information on what existing classes are getting in the expansion ? I wonder what they have in store for my Scholar.

A bit weird that they add 2 DPS and no tank or healer classes, might make the queue times longer for dps but what do I know.

Still no information on what existing classes are getting in the expansion ? I wonder what they have in store for my Scholar.

A bit weird that they add 2 DPS and no tank or healer classes, might make the queue times longer for dps but what do I know.

Apparently Yoshida said he's aware of the concerns but doesn't think it'll be a problem due to the data showing the number of tanks and healers stayed the same at Heavensward launch.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, looks like I'll be staying in Lavender Beds. Hopefully a medium or large plot will open up with people moving.

Currently have a nice small house there, but would like a bigger place.

Eldren

Looks just like the previous one, but bulkier.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah bulkier and with a bit more material. Like the short side is a bit longer and the long part extends further round the back. Pretty cool but not too different. I'm dreading the inevitably silly SMN AF.

World map with a lot of locations named. I'm dying for a fully annotated high quality map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom