• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbon

Ignore the Ninja job crystal until 50. Spam FATEs as Rogue with Flash and/or Blizzard II cross-classed. Run around spamming those two spells in FATEs. Mad EXP. If Rogue or Ninja gets an AOE ability centered around the player, then nevermind.

I think they do get some weird pbaoe, but it's probably not blizzard 2 levels of spammable.

Because gear, levels, etc. are the time investment parts of the game. The vanity items are stuff that you don't get otherwise. If these were vanity items you earned in-game, the same argument would be made about being able to buy them.

Until they sell items you'd get through some form of in-game effort (e.g., Primal ponies or crafted items or whatever), you're talking about a purely hypothetical situation of being able to pay to skip some content.

Of course, you can complain if (...when) the cash shop vanity items >>> in-game vanity items.

You are missing half of my argument, another reason why I dislike cash shop items, that it is developers just doing half the work and making more money off of it. This extends to DLC costumes and what not in single player games as well. The fact that without the existence of a cash shop or paying for in game stuff, those items would be part of the gameworld with in game means of acquiring them. Instead of making a sidequest, crafting recipe, gardening groth pattern, special shopkeeper as a way of integrating said items and rewards into the game they can be just designed and sold.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
What options are available to players in ilvl 90 gear that want to get something better? After unlocking most of the stuff I've missed in a year away from the game I jumped headfirst into that Atma grind and quickly found that to be miserable (first and second took two FATEs, third took five, fourth I've probably done 30-40). Do any of the new dungeons drop higher level gear, or do I want to just (also) grind those for curency? Should I look into the second part of Crystal Tower? Kind of feeling lost.

Second part of Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower, drops i100 gear. They also drop Allagan Tomestones, which with +1300 soldiery can be turned into a i100 weapon- Soldiery's going to be uncapped in 2.4.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All I want is for the alts to share achievements (I think WoW does this). I have a female alt leveled to 50 so I can get all the event gear whether or not its for girls or guys.

Yeah, support like this is what I'm talking about. This, global UI layouts, let us send mail to ourselves (FFS SE, you failed against RMT, stop this shit) and more.

You know, I'm having a lot of fun leveling an alt or two. The game could really benefit by being more kind of players who want to lvl alts. Blizzard thrived off of it.

You are already all your jobs on one character. The meaning of alt is a bit different in this game compared to all other MMOs.

iammeiam

Ignore the Ninja job crystal until 50. Spam FATEs as Rogue with Flash and/or Blizzard II cross-classed. Run around spamming those two spells in FATEs. Mad EXP. If Rogue or Ninja gets an AOE ability centered around the player, then nevermind.

I can handle that.

Any ballpark how many hours of FATE spam we're talking?

What options are available to players in ilvl 90 gear that want to get something better? After unlocking most of the stuff I've missed in a year away from the game I jumped headfirst into that Atma grind and quickly found that to be miserable (first and second took two FATEs, third took five, fourth I've probably done 30-40). Do any of the new dungeons drop higher level gear, or do I want to just (also) grind those for curency? Should I look into the second part of Crystal Tower? Kind of feeling lost.

Your top-end options outside of Coil currently are:
- Buying i100 gear with soldiery
- i100 drops from Syrcus Tower
- i110 rings and i100 weapons from Ramuh Ex

You can also get Sands or Oil of Time from Syrcus Tower or through The Hunt, which can be used to upgrade i100 soldiery gear to i110.

The soldiery weapon is kind of an odd man out because it requires you to buy tokens with soldiery, and turn then in with an Unidentified Allagan Tomestone, which drops from Syrcus Tower or Second Coil. That said, it's probably the most bang for your buck.

All this changes next week with the new patch, so this week is a bit of an awkward time to gear up. I'd say just focus on building up currency for now and get the drops you're after, and see what the new patch brings. Since soldiery's getting uncapped, you should be able to get to around ~i100 without too much trouble then.

Someone should tell Guy that the Anti-Cash Shop Crusade Ship sailed many years ago when WoW added the cash shop and nothing happened to that game. Players should have quit WoW en masse when that was introduced if they wanted to stop it from happening but they didn't. It's too late now, players had their chance and they voted with their wallets for cash shop in WoW, not against.

Jayhawk

I can handle that.

Any ballpark how many hours of FATE spam we're talking?

I am going to guess around one hour per level doing FATEs in the 20-40 range, maybe less since they've adjusted FATE rates since FATE leveling was a thing. 40-44 will take a bit longer. 44-50 can be done quickly with Dzemael Darkhold first room spam if you find a group to do it with.

IvorB

http://imgur.com/a/pM1gC

Gotta say it's so lame we don't get a live Shiva performance until Tokyo

Cool pics. The broken Garuda constume is kind of fitting now considering the beatings I see her take nowadays.

I agree with you.
I don't really like the idea of a cash shop for things like cosmetic gear/mounts/etc.
The fun to me is being able to acquire that stuff in game. I wouldn't run a dungeon a hundred times for slightly better gear because I don't really care, but I would to get a cool ass mount. That's why I prefer subscription based MMOs to F2P generally, I want the cool stuff to be rewards for playing the game, not rewards for spending more money.
All I can say is I hope they don't go too far with it.

Wait there is a cash shop now? That's not cool...

studyguy

Even the laziest dude can clear 1-50 within a week doing challenge log, hunting log and dailies for the week. We'll have the NIN boom for a month at most before we're all back to regularly scheduled griping about not beating T10-13

Valor

Even in a game like Guild Wars 2, there was the option of currency conversion so I didn't have to do this.
Give it time, man. They're just introducing this feature, so maybe it'll come around eventually. Unlikely, given SE's pricing models up to this point, but if people request it enough maybe we'll see it. Maybe. Issue could come in to RMT, and SE wants the money you'd spend on gil to convert to cash shop money. Hmm.

If the ratio of cash shop to in-game items becomes ridiculous, and it becomes obvious that a great deal of resources are being diverted to fleece customers, than I'll personally be done with the game.
Let's have this discussion again when it's relevant, because this could be making a mountain out of a molehill, doome-chan.

Hey man, taco expansion is worth it, and you know that better than anyone.

I'm still of the wait and see mindset when it comes to the cash shop. I don't think that pumpkin heads are going to really sell that well, but those ghost costumes are quite tempting for people like me who subbed just after the halloween event ended last year. The Sleipnir mount is whatever to me. It's cool, sure, but hardly something I see people buying in droves.

You have a point about the whole "winning" with vanity, but I really doubt that they'd cut off content behind a pay wall, since they've had the option to do it before and haven't. It's not like the game is lacking for tacos, as you said yourself. There are constant updates to the game, so it remains to be seen how much of it will be cut and slapped into cash shops.

But, you can't compare selling levels or gear to selling vanity pieces. You can't. That part of the argument is pretty ridiculous.

iammeiam

I am going to guess around one hour per level doing FATEs in the 20-40 range, maybe less since they've adjusted FATE rates since FATE leveling was a thing. 40-44 will take a bit longer. 44-50 can be done quickly with Dzemael Darkhold first room spam if you find a group to do it with.

Huh, thanks. I'm assuming dungeons/Guildhests will be essentially impossible given that everyone will be doing Ninja or the new content so low level stuff will be an eternal wait, but since I'm sitting on a full stack of leves maybe I can use that for help/variety from 40-50.

Should be grindable in a week, though. Trying to get relic will be fun.

LaneDS

Second part of Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower, drops i100 gear. They also drop Allagan Tomestones, which with +1300 soldiery can be turned into a i100 weapon- Soldiery's going to be uncapped in 2.4.

Your top-end options outside of Coil currently are:
- Buying i100 gear with soldiery
- i100 drops from Syrcus Tower
- i110 rings and i100 weapons from Ramuh Ex

You can also get Sands or Oil of Time from Syrcus Tower or through The Hunt, which can be used to upgrade i100 soldiery gear to i110.

The soldiery weapon is kind of an odd man out because it requires you to buy tokens with soldiery, and turn then in with an Unidentified Allagan Tomestone, which drops from Syrcus Tower or Second Coil. That said, it's probably the most bang for your buck.

All this changes next week with the new patch, so this week is a bit of an awkward time to gear up. I'd say just focus on building up currency for now and get the drops you're after, and see what the new patch brings. Since soldiery's getting uncapped, you should be able to get to around ~i100 without too much trouble then.

Thank you both for the replies.

How PUG friendly is either part of Crystal Tower? As a PLD, I generally don't like to go tanking things with PUGs unless I've done my research and know mechanics so I don't end up wasting folks time. If it's faceroll easy, however, I'll just queue up later and see how it goes.

Should I continue grinding out the Atma for the relic upgrade? Guessing yes.

Jayhawk

Looking to powerlevel somebody's Rogue from 1-15+ in exchange for powerleveling my Rogue. My powerleveling method would involve you tagging the mobs you need for your hunting log, and then grouping them together for my BLM to kill with AOEs. Since I work during the day, this would have to be done in the evening.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You are already all your jobs on one character. The meaning of alt is a bit different in this game compared to all other MMOs.

I understand that. Just like I'm sure you understand that at 50, the game shifts and really makes it hard on a player to gear up multiple jobs.

WolvenOne

Final thoughts on Cash shop.

1: It was pretty obvious they were going to do something like this, when they started selling Phantasia's.

2: It's not pay to win, so it shouldn't affect game balance much.

3: Right now we have three minions, and a mount. That's hardly a wide selection of cosmetic items.

4: They'd be pretty darn hard pressed to surpass the in-game vanity items in terms of sheer numbers, given that they, "NEED," to create gear every time there's an ilvl cap, or any time they create content they really want people to do. In a game without such a rigidly defined linear content treadmill, this might be a problem, but with said treadmill it'd almost impossible to see for-cash vanity passing in-game vanity.

5: If for cash vanity is lucrative enough, they can hire entirely separate model designers for it. In fact, if it is lucrative, they would almost have to, given that the core dev team is already pretty small.

6: If it's mostly minions, PFFFT!

Looking to powerlevel somebody's Rogue from 1-15+ in exchange for powerleveling my Rogue. My powerleveling method would involve you tagging the mobs you need for your hunting log, and then grouping them together for my BLM to kill with AOEs. Since I work during the day, this would have to be done in the evening.

sure, but I may not be on tuesday night. also I only run with the highest of calibers.

LaneDS

I understand that. Just like I'm sure you understand that at 50, the game shifts and really makes it hard on a player to gear up multiple jobs.

How difficult is it to essentially max out multiple professions? I totally get how the time requirement to max out a DoW job makes it nearly impossible to properly gear other DoW jobs to a similar degree, but are crafters able to at least do that?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Other than relic weapon past the zenith stage it's still not too difficult to get gear for other classes, even if you have to take it a bit more slowly. Even with tome caps many people have a bunch of gear for multiple jobs by now if they've been capping since 2.2. That cap will go away next week so it will become even easier as well.

scy

How PUG friendly is either part of Crystal Tower? As a PLD, I generally don't like to go tanking things with PUGs unless I've done my research and know mechanics so I don't end up wasting folks time. If it's faceroll easy, however, I'll just queue up later and see how it goes.

Crystal Tower / Labyrinth of the Ancients - A lot of dumb mechanics to worry about. Nobody queues for this, however, so you'll probably have an awful queue time. Experience inside will vary. You should probably find a guide since there's a lot of individual mechanics for the bosses (and trash).

Syrcus Tower - its a circus

Incidentally, it's not like you really have options outside of just DFing them so ... yeah.

As for the Atmas, they're getting their drop rate adjusted next week so you can wait on those.

They're both pretty easy, particularly if you're tanking. Especially the first part (Labyrinth of the Ancients), which fills in double the tanks it actually needs. And if you tell your party up front that you're new, I'm sure they'll give you a quick potted explanation of what you need to do, but it's pretty simple stuff.

As for the relic upgrades, the answer is 'only if you want to'. It is a massive time, gil and effort sink to get something that has comparable equivalents. But it does look pretty awesome and perhaps there's something to be said for experiencing the struggle with other people doing the same grind? :V

Valor

It's really more about how much time and effort you can afford/be arsed to give to your secondary jobs.

WolvenOne

Just a follow-up to a previous comment.

Cash shop probably WILL be mostly minions. Most minions are fairly low-poly, thus they'll be cheap and easy to make. As such, they're probably the most lucrative things SE could possibly sell on a Cash Shop.

Which means the number of new in-game minions might go down a bit in the future, but, speaking only personally, I can't get too upset about that.

iammeiam

I will rage about the cash shop if and when it interferes with fish desynth.

How difficult is it to essentially max out multiple professions? I totally get how the time requirement to max out a DoW job makes it nearly impossible to properly gear other DoW jobs to a similar degree, but are crafters able to at least do that?

DoL/DoH don't have a hard lockout, but there's a pretty big gil sink involved in melding them out. Getting the master recipes/artisan tools involves some not cheap crafting, and then getting supra involves the ridiculous expensiveness that is desynth.

It's worth max leveling all crafting classes for self-repair and self-melds, and the game doesn't straight up bar you from being a master of all crafts, but it's very much takes money to make money.

Gathering again has meld costs, time consuming gathers for the forager equipment (silver sovereigns ugh), then more gathers for supra plus expensive demimateria.

It's a personal ROI thing; it sounds like they'll be making changes to make catch up easier in 2.45 (best patch!), but right now it really makes more sense to get everything to 50 and then play favorites.

IvorB

As for the Atmas, they're getting their drop rate adjusted next week so you can wait on those.

WHAT????

Frumix

Suffering From Success
DoL/DoH don't have a hard lockout, but there's a pretty big gil sink involved in melding them out. Getting the master recipes/artisan tools involves some not cheap crafting, and then getting supra involves the ridiculous expensiveness that is desynth.
It's probably worth noting you can avoid spending gil directly by spending your time instead. There's nothing you can't just do completely on your own.
I spiritbonded more materia than I've actually bought for crafters. Was quite an adventure.

WolvenOne

Sounded like Sol will fetch a better price for book trade ins too, as in less sol needed to get one or something.

I'm a little dubious on this though. When 2.2 hit they did the same thing with some Phil items, however the Myth Drop amounts were lowered so much, that it was just about as difficult to get said items.

I suspect the nerf in the Soldiery drop rate, will make books just about as hard. If they really want to nerf books, take out the Fates.

scy

From the wording, it sounded like the plan was the cost goes down due to the Myth -> Soldiery conversion and then it's getting cut again. So like ~150 instead of ~300.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Really though, even if it is like 1% -> 2%, that's still halving the expected time.

That said, I can't wait for the "ATMA BUFF IS A LIE" posts.

It's to help the casuals be able to pick out the filthy casuals.

lol, well even with a nerf I don't see myself ever doing it again. Not worth the pain. (I don't like FATEs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom