• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV DLC includes playable Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto, ‘Online Exp'

Famassu

I was right about character control.It was never difficult to do,especially given the simplistic control scheme.

They cut core features that were promised years ago and kept them off for DLC/sequels.
They explained that they ditched plans for multiple playable characters because 1) creating 4 (or more) vastly different kinds of playable characters that all have so much depth/variety/quality that you could basically play the game through with any character without one feeling inferior to any other would be a huge task and 2) with Noctis teleporting around the battlefield, it would get too chaotic at times when Noctis can go from land to on top of a train and then into an airship in a matter of seconds.

This doesn't necessarily negate that explanation. Even if they are playable, they might be far more simplistic in comparison to Noctis, which is fine for a shorter DLC story but might not cut it for a full game experience where everyone should be equal in gameplay quality/variety instead of one being like Noctis who can do fucktons of things and the others having, like, a 3 hit combo and a few special attacks and not much else.

Different types of melee combat are fine for a single game as long as the movement style is also fairly similar - it's functionally the same combat paradigm and just needs proper balancing for speed/range/damage/stun/moveset. Adding shooting that involves actual aiming and weak points, though, is an entirely different type of gameplay that should either be done right or not done at all. Getting a mode that feels like Dirge of Cerberus is not an interesting bonus; if they added a mode that felt like RE4 that'd be cool but it'd sure add a lot of development expense to each enemy.

I always thought since the Versus days that shooting would best be handled as a simple lock-on mechanism with no weak points or whatever.

Different types of melee combat are fine for a single game as long as the movement style is also fairly similar - it's functionally the same combat paradigm and just needs proper balancing for speed/range/damage/stun/moveset. Adding shooting that involves actual aiming and weak points, though, is an entirely different type of gameplay that should either be done right or not done at all. Getting a mode that feels like Dirge of Cerberus is not an interesting bonus; if they added a mode that felt like RE4 that'd be cool but it'd sure add a lot of development expense to each enemy.

I always thought since the Versus days that shooting would best be handled as a simple lock-on mechanism with no weak points or whatever.

Actually the weak points wouldn't be too horrible to implement just because they're already putting in a break mechanic for enemy body parts as part of the main game already. Even Deadeye in the Duscae demo had a weak side that could be exploited for extra damage. I agree though that the shooting mechanics would be extremely tricky to get feeling right.

Asd202

Not gonna lie, it kinda hurts that when you watch the FFXIII versus trailer you can clearly see the nomura
version of the game using all 4 characters and playable and switchable in real time.

About that. Wasn't Noctis already the only playable character back when the game was reveled as XV back at E3 2013 when Nomura was still the director? He was the only playable character in the trailer and combat videos back then...

If the main game ends up with a metacritic which is less than 86 then I want my TAG to be removed and a new avatar of duckroll's choosing.

This is the final charge and a price must be paid for a decade of potential false hope. Please shame me.
OMG!!

About that. Wasn't Noctis already the only playable character back when the game was reveled as XV back at E3 2013 when Nomura was still the director? He was the only playable character in the trailer and combat videos back then...
There were glimpse of other characters fighting including Prompto and Gladio IIRC.

About that. Wasn't Noctis already the only playable character back when the game was reveled as XV back at E3 2013 when Nomura was still the director? He was the only playable character in the trailer and combat videos back then.,,
Indeed. Nomura is a false prophet when it comes to this game Tabata and his team get waaaay too much flak while he gets off easy for spinning his wheels for 7 years

Socivol

This is the case. Since the rebranding they have only ever shown the Noctis.

Indeed. Nomura is a false prophet when it comes to this game Tabata and his team get waaaay too much flak while he gets off easy for spinning his wheels for 7 years

Cause I'm sure it was all his fault that the game was not being worked on for 7 years. Come on now. Mismanagement at Square-Enix and FFXIV imploding is what did it in.

This sure doesn't get bought up when somebody goes after Tabata and his team tho..

Well I haven't really seen people put blame onto Tabata for the game taking 10 years. It would be stupid to do that since he wasn't working on it until what, 2013? People criticize him and his team for ripping out the concepts, designs and characters that made people excited for Versus as well as changing the gameplay to something that many people don't enjoy. They're two different things now and the one we're getting is one that nobody asked for.

I'm perfectly fine and excited with the game we're getting but I would obviously prefer the original thing we were shown. Square-Enix screwed up by waiting too long to get the game out the door so Tabata's team has to suffer the backlash when they decide to reboot the project. It's not fair, but that's how it goes.

Ray Down

Banned
OMG!!

There were glimpse of other characters fighting including Prompto and Gladio IIRC.
How do we know those aren't just the camera focusing on them when they are doing charcter ablites like in the army base trailer. It's hard for me to say they were playable because if I'm remembering correctly those bits look like cinematic quick cuts.

Eh part one

Lol exactly
If part 2 comes out immediately like a year later after part 1 that's gonna raise a big flag for me

I dunno, because I imagine they're going to have a lot of the hard work done for part 1. The core engine, gameplay systems, animation, overall plot direction, game mechanics, basic balance template, lore, items, etc. etc.

New entries would just be whatever assets/environment work are needed on top of an already solid foundation. If they take their sweet ass time getting part 1 out such that the fundamentals are solid, I don't think 12 - 18 months between installments is crazy at all.

Taruranto

The game isn't even out yet and we're already talking about its DLCs.

What have the world come to.

Well, at least they aren't showing anything because supposedly they haven't even started development and want to develop "the most complete product they can".

It may not be true (or it may be,who the fuck knows what is going with this game development), but at least it's better than Namco "Here, let me show you all those lovely costumes we are going to take out of the game and sell separately" Bandai.

I dunno, because I imagine they're going to have a lot of the hard work done for part 1. The core engine, gameplay systems, animation, overall plot direction, game mechanics, basic balance template, lore, items, etc. etc.

New entries would just be whatever assets/environment work are needed on top of an already solid foundation. If they take their sweet ass time getting part 1 out such that the fundamentals are solid, I don't think 12 - 18 months between installments is crazy at all.
I guess that depends on how they handle the parts,how much is added and how much is taken out. Say the first part is just Midgard that means part two would be even more massive

Ironically Cyber Connect is developer FF7r :p
Lol

FF7r will say otherwise when we can play as Tifa.
Ironically Cyber Connect is developer FF7r :p

Nomura has released Kingdom Hearts which just had Sora in the original game.

I think those were just combination attacks.

How do we know those aren't just the camera focusing on them when they are doing charcter ablites like in the army base trailer. It's hard for me to say they were playable because if I'm remembering correctly those bits look like cinematic quick cuts.
That is possible especially since in the Niflheim base footage, we saw camera getting up and close with the characters with their special move, like in E3 2013.

It may not be true (or it may be,who the fuck knows what is going with this game development), but at least it's better than Namco "Here, let me show you all those lovely costumes we are going to take out of the game and sell separately" Bandai.

On that note, I was actually quite pleasantly surprised to see that the DLC costumes in Dissidia 012 (In addition to not actually being on-disc DLC) wasn't made at the expense of, but in addition to the fuckton of cool alternate outfits already available in the base game. I think that was the first (and so far, only) Square game I've bought DLC for, and that almost solely was on the basis of how well* they handled it, in addition to the fair pricing.

(*Relatively speaking, anyway; Wasn't a fan of how they made some costumes region/retailer specific.)

Yes I put $ sign after my numerical because even if that's not the "proper" way to do it, you don't say "Dollars 20" by any chance do you?
Origin storytime! We write it like that bc of the decimal point. Whole dollars are on the left (20), so the dollar sign is on the left.

Partial dollars or cents are on the right side of the decimal point (.00), so the cent sign is on the right which is why writing that the way u did is just wrongo.

Top Bottom