• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

MilkBeard

wat

EDIT: Incredible first post. No regrets.

giphy.gif

So looks like this patch has pushed FFPez over the edge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=dGaGYE81O5w

I really do not understand the pushback. The new information already confirmed and expanded on things we already knew from previous patches. He is mad because he could have done it better? Well, of course that's the case for many hardcore players who would happily fix story issues with lots of FF games. Heck, I would redo a lot of FFVIII story but I am not the developer so my say doesn't matter. And I understand it. It's their game and their story.

This patch helps us understand Shiva's motivation more, gives Ifrit's fight some actual substance, and clarifies what the War of Astrals was about. I can't say I am not satisfied the information is there. Would I have liked some of his theories to be true? Sure. But I have no issue where they are going with it now. There are no contradictions anywhere to be seen with the main storyline.

**Oh and him harping on "the days after..." made me scream at the monitor that is not an expression that means "two days later" but rather "anywhere from the day after to a 1000 years later..."
I was reading some of the twitter comments on the post for his video... jesus. I mean I knew he spread misinformation but I didn't know it was this much lmao.

https://twitter.com/FFPeasants/status/914084555237330944

875fd83bebfd9af1079687ed4a4b851e.png

Like, get owned dude.

Toth

Nice job Psycho on helping others see the issues here! I still am amazed how this patch broke Pez when nothing was substantially new from where we knew SE was going with the lore.

I was reading some of the twitter comments on the post for his video... jesus. I mean I knew he spread misinformation but I didn't know it was this much lmao.

https://twitter.com/FFPeasants/status/914084555237330944

875fd83bebfd9af1079687ed4a4b851e.png

Like, get owned dude.

Am I internet-famous now?

that guy looks familiar

I wonder who that PshycoNinja person could be. ��������������

"It's a reeeaaal mystery."
tumblr_os8g8cd9Pa1ug0ipjo2_540.gif

Nice job Psycho on helping others see the issues here! I still am amazed how this patch broke Pez when nothing was substantially new from where we knew SE was going with the lore.

Someone has to do it. And it seems like a lot of people are waking up to his misinformative BS.

Fj0823

I love the game so much that decided to give the season pass a go. Anything that keeps the flow of content patches going I guess.

My PS4 was "accidentaly" factory resetted so I got to experience the game again with all the new stuff...

How did I live without the Ragnarok...it's so goood.

Toth

I am so surprised people still think that Luna and Noctis have not communicated in 12 years and hence their relationship is 'weird'. They haven't seen each other, yes, but they have been communicating frequently through Umbra and their notebook. And once again, before the cellphone nonsense returns, know that a) Luna was under heavy guard by Niflheim and was likely prohibited from having one and b) we have no idea if the Wall kept cell phone signals out or only allowed certain frequencies in that Luna certainly would not have...

And I suppose one can say FFXV follows the classic 'falling in love as children' story point so loved by the Japanese. I do think that Luna's role as Oracle and her duty made her more prone to opening up to Noctis and bonding with him from the get go.

Impulsor

I'm willing to replay this from scratch on the Xbox One X when it releases... Are there more confirmed story patches coming?

Wouldn't want to start if the story isn't "really finished"

Koozek

I'm willing to replay this from scratch on the Xbox One X when it releases... Are there more confirmed story patches coming?

Wouldn't want to start if the story isn't "really finished"
They just said they'll continue improving the story through free updates well into next year and probably a second Season Pass:
18. Tabata and the dev team has been thinking if it's really okay to just let it ''end'' with Episode Ignis. With the survey that was done earlier this year, taking in the feedback of the players, everyone including Tabata, Ofuji and the development team thought about what they should do. FFXV has been to many different events all throughout the world and Tabata has been to each of them, meeting and talking to the fans. He asked what they liked, what they wanted and what they disliked. He thanks to all those that supported him and he says that after speaking to everyone, the biggest voice was ''Please don't let it end there'' and ''We want you to continue''. The demand for a bigger expanded story was big. Tabata wants to respond to these demands from the fans. They want to continue expanding the game through 2018 next year. He clarifies that as a company there are set plans and schedules and changing them is difficult. He apologizes that as a developer, their goal is to create new games. And he states that BD2 already has finalized their next big project, considering that, they thought about how they could balance this and continue to support FFXV next year. After after overcoming many obstacles and changing the structure of the development team, they are able to say that they are able to continue development next year.

19. They already have plans for what to accomplish next year and that is delivering on what fans want most. They will continue to and further development the story, filling up missing information.

20. It's not going as far as a sequel, but it's about the strengthening of the existing game and story. Tabata acknowledges that there were lacking aspects of the game. Not just the back stories of the characters or character development, but also with the world and lore as the world itself has a story of it's own. They have received much feedback on these fronts as well as in the survey and they worked hard until now to create a development structure to be able to deliver with everything we got. And again now, they are able to say, that this will be happening.

21. With the next update including story upgrades, it is based on the Summons. And this is just part 1 of the updates to come hereon.
In the update will also include a connection to Episode Ignis that Tabata thinks is a very important part of the story that players should know.

22. With that, they will continue to develop the world and it's characters in FFXV next year.
Probably within this year, they will announce the roadmap of what they want to do next year

If anyone in the community goes to NYCC, please post your impressions on Comrades and Pocket Edition here. Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Also Windows Edition.

Toth

If anyone in the community goes to NYCC, please post your impressions on Comrades and Pocket Edition here. Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Also Windows Edition.

I did in the main thread.

I was able to play some of it this afternoon at Comic Con. I came away very impressed. Some quick notes:

1. Combat is very smooth. You click on the mob and you will continue to attack it with your weapon without any need to touch the icon again (You can still move Noctis around though). Pressing another weapon icon on the weapon wheel on the bottom right side of the screen effortlessly switches weapons (I.e switching to the great sword then hits everything around Noctis. This frees you up to hit the dodge button on Noctis when prompted.

2. New minigame is present. You find Scraps of Mystery that show a little map with a few landmarks (like a pile of tires and a stack of lumber) and you use a shovel to dig at the indicated spot. If you hit the right spot (it was pretty easy if you look carefully) you with get either the item itself or another clue/ map you will need to decipher that will lead to another digging spot, which may have that item. I got a very powerful bangle the first time.

3. Collecting dog tags for Dave is back.

4. The ascension grid is far more streamlined (some of the higher abilities capped at 50 AP) but there were quite a lot of them. It also appears the new grid offers damage bonuses for each weapon types. You can also unlock an extra accessory slot for ALL characters for only 20 ap (didn't see where the next upgrade was) instead of individual upgrades. I don't know if this will be common but you get AP for finishing quests in addition to exp.

5. I did not see magic in the game during my playthrough but It seems it will work the same as the main game.

6. There is a shop icon in your main menu and new merchandise seems to appear at each rest stop. The game allows you to sell all your gil items all at once when you use it (very handy!)
Very interesting! Thanks for the info. Let me know what you think about where Comrades is at now if you get around to playing it.

Scraps of Mystery was actually in the original game too. But it's tough to find the map pieces and decipher them. The portable version of it sounds a bit easier and a little more involved. Sounds great! :)

Also, the Comrades demo was the same as the beta version with an added Quetzocolatl battle that kicked everyone's butt lol. Nothing that new unless spears and shields were in the beta too?

Oh and you could play as Noctis for some reason but that was probably just for demo purposes.

I also played the PC version. It looked soooooooooooo good and ran extremely well. No updates though were spoiled (still could only do one quest at a time, etc.)

Having finished FFXV a few hours ago, and having been "spoiled" by some friends a year ago, here's a question (ending spoilers):

Why would anyone think that Ignis, Prompto and Gladio are dead? It doesn't make any sense, it's clearly not what happens, it doesn't make sense either plot-wise or tonally speaking... Noctis talks to his friends one last time, around a campfire; after defeating Ardyn, he literally says "I leave it all to you", because, once again, he alone is going to die; Noctis dies; in the Crystal realm/afterlife, Ardyn sees Noctis and his friends + Luna + Regis, because they are the roots of his power. The only person who dies at the end is Noctis. It's his sacrifice to make. Not Gladio's or Prompto's. For a year, I thought they were all gonna die at the end. How could anyone think this?

Regarding the game, loved it. I cried for the first time while playing a videogame. If that isn't worth something, I dunno what is.

SoulUnison

Banned
Having finished FFXV a few hours ago, and having been "spoiled" by some friends a year ago, here's a question (ending spoilers):

Why would anyone think that Ignis, Prompto and Gladio are dead? It doesn't make any sense, it's clearly not what happens, it doesn't make sense either plot-wise or tonally speaking... Noctis talks to his friends one last time, around a campfire; after defeating Ardyn, he literally says "I leave it all to you", because, once again, he alone is going to die; Noctis dies; in the Crystal realm/afterlife, Ardyn sees Noctis and his friends + Luna + Regis, because they are the roots of his power. The only person who dies at the end is Noctis. It's his sacrifice to make. Not Gladio's or Prompto's. For a year, I thought they were all gonna die at the end. How could anyone think this?

Regarding the game, loved it. I cried for the first time while playing a videogame. If that isn't worth something, I dunno what is.

Because people don't understand symbolism and they're desperate for the ending to be even more of a downer than it already is, because darkness = maturity, or something.

Ignis, Prompto and Gladio already spent the entire game up to that point holding their own against daemons, and they didn't even have to -beat- the horde, they just had to survive long enough for Noctis to take the throne.
The moment that Noctis dies and that flash of light from the Ring of the Lucii goes off, all Daemons in the world disappeared basically instantly. There's no reason to think the bros fell there unless you think they suddenly couldn't hold out for just a couple minutes with the three of them together when they'd apparently been fighting Daemons non-stop alone for 10 years before Noctis returned.

It's just people wanting more deaths because it's edgy, really.

Koozek

Don't even know how many people I heard saying that they thought the mid-credit
campfire scene was after the final battle (some even thought in afterlife, LOL).

Thank you both! It was really baffling, and it feels good to know that I'm not alone in this.

Some more thoughts on the whole game. Personally, I think it's amongst the best Final Fantasy titles. It's not a perfect game by any means, and I know that I already played a patched version of it, but even considering all that... it was a deeply moving game. It had tons of heart. This game actually made me cry. The execution of some plot points is shoddy. There are tons of things I would have loved to see and places I wanted to explore (like Tenebrae... oh my, what could have been). But what's there is heartfelt. It's not the game I spent ten years dreaming of, but that's OK.

I'm in love with Eos, I loved all the characters (apart from Jared, because who the fuck is he). The combat system felt great. The quests were mostly fun and rewarding.

For the first time since BioShock Infinite, I think I'm gonna purchase a season pass, because I don't wanna say goodbye to this game just yet.

Koozek

Thank you both! It was really baffling, and it feels good to know that I'm not alone in this.

Some more thoughts on the whole game. Personally, I think it's amongst the best Final Fantasy titles. It's not a perfect game by any means, and I know that I already played a patched version of it, but even considering all that... it was a deeply moving game. It had tons of heart. This game actually made me cry. The execution of some plot points is shoddy. There are tons of things I would have loved to see and places I wanted to explore (like Tenebrae... oh my, what could have been). But what's there is heartfelt. It's not the game I spent ten years dreaming of, but that's OK.

I'm in love with Eos, I loved all the characters (apart from Jared, because who the fuck is he). The combat system felt great. The quests were mostly fun and rewarding.

For the first time since BioShock Infinite, I think I'm gonna purchase a season pass, because I don't wanna say goodbye to this game just yet.
Yeah, I had similar feelings. I'm absolutely aware of its many fundamental flaws and the wasted potential, but I still enjoyed it a lot and spent another dozens of hours after I beat it, which is something I never do with games since I'm usually the type to lose interest completely after the credits rolled. It somehow became my "comfort food" game even months later where I just put it on, ran around, and did mindless EXP/AP grinding while listening to a podcast or so.

Curious to see if they can manage to somehow substantially improve on the game's narrative through the upcoming free story updates throughout the next year, or if it's just gonna be a band-aid solution that improves it for the worse, as I suspect it possibly will.

SMH@your disrespecting Jared though
hhh4.png

Further impressions on Pocket Edition and Windows Edition of FFXV from DualShockers.

Also an interview with Tabata about Windows Edition from MCV.

Yeah, I dunno why people thought that. It's fairly obvious in it's symbolism.

And do it! The DLC is great. Episode Gladiolus was fun and Episode Prompto was the best piece of DLC FF has ever produced (in my opinion of course). Each piece of DLC is a whole new experience with different combat mechanics, DLC cosmetics, more exciting boss encounters, skins, and great story. We have Comrades out at the end of the month and I am really excited to see where that goes and Episode Ignis will be out before years end.

Yeah, I had similar feelings. I'm absolutely aware of its many fundamental flaws and the wasted potential, but I still enjoyed it a lot and spent another dozens of hours after I beat it, which is something I never do with games since I'm usually the type to lose interest completely after the credits rolled. It somehow became my "comfort food" game even months later where I just put it on, ran around, and did mindless EXP/AP grinding while listening to a podcast or so.

Curious to see if they can manage to somehow substantially improve on the game's narrative through the upcoming free story updates throughout the next year, or if it's just gonna be a band-aid solution that improves it for the worse, as I suspect it possibly will.

SMH@your disrespecting Jared though
hhh4.png

How did you feel about the recent free story update? I personally enjoyed it and glad it added some great lore to the story. As long as the future cutscenes are all animated cutscenes it should be great. I can forgive the still images for most of the cutscenes in this last update as most of them were from Cosmogony.

Koozek

How did you feel about the recent free story update? I personally enjoyed it and glad it added some great lore to the story. As long as the future cutscenes are all animated cutscenes it should be great. I can forgive the still images for most of the cutscenes in this last update as most of them were from Cosmogony.
A bit torn on that. The still images being from different quality cutscenes made it look uneven. Felt a bit weird that the lore dump was in the form of a dialog choice while Noctis is still
freezing and on his knees, but I guess having it after his receiving Luna's trident and his grieving would be unfitting too because Noctis was supposed to be alone in that moment without Shiva on screen and they didn't want to make her appear again just for the lore stuff? Also the image with Shiva and the freezing humans in the background was confusing and made it seem like Shiva actually harmed or at least didn't protect people even though she said the Astrals were sworn to protect humankind (maybe they reused old concept art from when the lore was a bit different, lol?). And if Astrals were supposed to protect people why is Leviathan not hesitating to destroy a whole city? 🤔

Generally I don't think that we need even more on the Astrals or past lore, e.g. Solheim, and instead rather more cutscenes in present time to improve the important character's characterizations. Not everything of the lore has to be explained to death especially if it isn't that relevant for the actual present main story (e.g. we didn't have cutscenes in FFVII on Jenova's origin or the Cetra's fight against Jenova either because that wasn't what the story was really about).

Regarding the new scenes during Noctis' grieving Luna: at first I wasn't too sure how I liked the drastic change in his behaviour, but maybe they always wanted Noctis to be more emotional there, but ran out of time to realize it? Always thought they also had planned for the bros' reunion after Noctis slumber to be more emotional, but had to cut stuff unfortunately. Maybe they will add scenes there...

Koozek

Lol! We gotta find somebody else for that nonsense
I normally wouldn't want to play a healer in a MMO, but I have to admit that I kinda enjoyed using heal spells on everybody when needed in the Comrades beta. Was so refreshing to be able to use spells so conveniently compared to the messy magic system in the main game. So yeah, I guess I could do it partially, but I think we might need a dedicated healer at some point for harder missions.

A bit torn on that. The still images being from different quality cutscenes made it look uneven. Felt a bit weird that the lore dump was in the form of a dialog choice while Noctis is still
freezing and on his knees, but I guess having it after his receiving Luna's trident and his grieving would be unfitting too because Noctis was supposed to be alone in that moment without Shiva on screen and they didn't want to make her appear again just for the lore stuff? Also the image with Shiva and the freezing humans in the background was confusing and made it seem like Shiva actually harmed or at least didn't protect people even though she said the Astrals were sworn to protect humankind (maybe they reused old concept art from when the lore was a bit different, lol?). And if Astrals were supposed to protect people why is Leviathan not hesitating to destroy a whole city? ��

Generally I don't think that we need even more on the Astrals or past lore, e.g. Solheim, and instead rather more cutscenes in present time to improve the important character's characterizations. Not everything of the lore has to be explained to death especially if it isn't that relevant for the actual present main story (e.g. we didn't have cutscenes in FFVII on Jenova's origin or the Cetra's fight against Jenova either because that wasn't what the story was really about).

I can see how that art can confuse people and people can easily come up with conclusions based on the piece of art. However, in the dialogue
she states that "creatures and man were created in our image." And later when she states the Astrals are sworn to protect mankind. So in that image I conclude one of three things are going on: Either those are frost creatures and not humans ("creatures created in their image"), the humans are being created from the snow, or humans got close to her and froze due to proximity. Considering all the lines during that image are about creation of lifeforms I am sure it is one of the two former reasons.

I agree, the game doesn't need to delve into the past. XIV doesn't do it with the Allagans, VII doesn't do it with Jenova or the Cetra, or the multitude of other games that don't expand on their past lore, as the important story is the one in the present time of the game. I think this recent lore dive was necessary, however, and helps set up
Shiva and Ifrit later in Chapter 14 better. I also agree that the future cutscenes have to center around the current timeline of the game and I do believe they will go that way very heavily (obviously with the exception of Ardyn and possibly a little more Astral stuff later on.)

But I think it was a necessary first step that was done well and I look forward to seeing what more they add. I am glad they actually implemented it into the game and it wasn't a choice between it and another story thread like Verse 2. I can see where they are going with it and approve and it has given me confidence they will do a wonderful job with future free story content. (Plus, the new animated scenes were so well-shot and directed. If that this the quality we can expect for future story content than I am excited. :D)

Y'all ready for that comrades ��

Been waiting for it for a long time. :)

Lol! We gotta find somebody else for that nonsense

Don't look at me. I'm a DPS.

Edit: Also, in case you guys haven't voted yet I encourage you to do so. I won't due to the multitude of RPGs I've worked on so you guys have fun! :D

Toth

freezing and on his knees, but I guess having it after his receiving Luna's trident and his grieving would be unfitting too because Noctis was supposed to be alone in that moment without Shiva on screen and they didn't want to make her appear again just for the lore stuff? Also the image with Shiva and the freezing humans in the background was confusing and made it seem like Shiva actually harmed or at least didn't protect people even though she said the Astrals were sworn to protect humankind (maybe they reused old concept art from when the lore was a bit different, lol?). And if Astrals were supposed to protect people why is Leviathan not hesitating to destroy a whole city? ��

Regarding the new scenes during Noctis' grieving Luna: at first I wasn't too sure how I liked the drastic change in his behaviour, but maybe they always wanted Noctis to be more emotional there, but ran out of time to realize it? Always thought they also had planned for the bros' reunion after Noctis slumber to be more emotional, but had to cut stuff unfortunately. Maybe they will add scenes there...

LTTP I know but I was under the impression the new Shiva scenes are pages from the Cosmology which actually makes it more consistent with what we have seen from the lore. In that regard it works really well.

I do hope we get some kind of scene or dialogue with Ramuh and Titan. We never learn what Titan is talking about during Chapter 4 not does Ramuh ever get any type of interaction with Noctis during the main game (besides the summoning sequence of course lol). However, this could be an excellent idea for a Luna DLC as her communions with the Gods could shed some details on what the Astrals are doing to protect Eos and why.

LTTP I know but I was under the impression the new Shiva scenes are pages from the Cosmology which actually makes it more consistent with what we have seen from the lore. In that regard it works really well.

I do hope we get some kind of scene or dialogue with Ramuh and Titan. We never learn what Titan is talking about during Chapter 4 not does Ramuh ever get any type of interaction with Noctis during the main game (besides the summoning sequence of course lol). However, this could be an excellent idea for a Luna DLC as her communions with the Gods could shed some details on what the Astrals are doing to protect Eos and why.

Yes. That's why the scene starts with an opening shot of the front cover of the Cosmogony book. The art is clearly from the book, as the art from the book and some of the later still shots are so different.

I dunno if we need more of the Astrals at this point. We get what they're trying to do. I'd like the story content to focus around the main narrative so it can smooth out some things and address things a few people thought were left out of the game.

Two weeks baby!

Comrades so soon! Really looking forward to it! :D

NKnight7

Neo Member
When are good times to start the Gladio and Prompto Episode's? I'm finally getting back to XV after taking a break from it, and am getting all of the DLC episodes at least. I'll be sure to get Ignis' Episode too whenever that releases. Thanks!

Top Bottom