• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Keym

Why? I definitely believe Tabata will add more story as he implied, I'm just not sure it'll be satisfying. Chapter 13 verse 2 was intriguing but was over before it got good, and cutscenes were too short.
Because he probably will but only as extra DLC episodes which would be pointless (to me).

ultima786

*Adds kingsglaive in its entirety to the opening of the game

I'm hoping modders will add relevant sections of Kingsglaive to the beginning, as a kind of intro thing. It'll be hard because Nyx is all mixed up in the important cutscenes, and I'm not sure how it would look to see a character who isn't introduced properly running around in an intro scene.

I wager that's why square didn't do it themselves.

Keym

Real talk: the game would instantly jump to a 10/10 if Tabata replaced the Ifrit intro with the old limo CG from Versus.

ultima786

Real talk: the game would instantly jump to a 10/10 if Tabata replaced the Ifrit intro with the old limo CG from Versus.

Lol.

Real talk, I truly believe there are just a few things needed to make this game a classic. Some well directed cutscenes for character and world building would do much.

Toth

Leading up to release, and especially with that Omen trailer and Kingsglaive, I was excited about learning of Noctis' family's dark secret ties to the astrals and maybe find out they were born of/part of Diabolos etc etc. But the game skimped on their dark motif for the most part and was more of a rich kids lost in the back country just as confused as everyone else.

It'd be nice if they added in more lore and history and it not being left to confusing pre-chapter cutscenes and small paragraphs from a book.

Edit: Granted I'm only at the beginning of ch. 9 but I've kept up with the leaks/spoilers pre-release as well so I know What the game is and isn't generally speaking.

The Omen trailer does still work if we view it as an alternate version for what may have happened if Noctis travelled alone. There's still a few pieces that don't fit well (namely the dark Noctis stuff) and the Crystal's bizarre message (namely it sounding very sinister and
not at all like Bahamut's style of speech. I still think it's Ardyn sending a message to Regis.

Koozek

Question for the pros in here:

When do you suggest I should play chapter 13 verse 2?

I am currently being stalked by a thing that first appeared while I was waiting for an elevator. There is a rest area at which I saved and apparently still have the option to play through verse 2.

If I play through Verse 2 now, is Noct's part over as well? Should I finish Noct first?

Thanks for the help.

I dunno for the second part regarding if it ends Noctis's part but I would play Verse 2 around the time you're describing.
AFAIK, it skips Noct's part and jumps to a later point after Gladio's part is over. It basically skips the most disliked section with Noctis.

MilkBeard

I don't personally agree about this particular scene, because Ifrit has become an important figure for the game, so it is necessary to focus on him.

However, I do think this would be at that level if a few more well-directed scenes were implemented giving backstory and side characers (and the lore) a time to shine.

Keym

I don't personally agree about this particular scene, because Ifrit has become an important figure for the game, so it is necessary to focus on him.

However, I do think this would be at that level if a few more well-directed scenes were implemented giving backstory and side characers (and the lore) a time to shine.
Isn't that what we all want? Still, showing Ifrit the way they did is just incredibly disjointed. He is no one in-game and only became important because of all the information we got after we played it. He needed build up, foreshadowing, heck, even one line from him saying "fuck humans!" would've helped.

MilkBeard

Isn't that what we all want? Still, showing Ifrit the way they did is just incredibly disjointed. He is no one in-game and only became important because of all the information we got after we played it. He needed build up, foreshadowing, heck, even one line from him saying "fuck humans!" would've helped.

Yeah, I agree. Want more on Ifrit in the game.

Seems according to Dengeki, FFXV has crossed a million physical copies sold in Japan. Bringing the number of total sales in Japan with digital and physical to around 1.2 million and possibly more than that.

For reference, in Japan both digital and physical copies of the game sold were roughly around 1M back in January.

Gambit

AFAIK, it skips Noct's part and jumps to a later point after Gladio's part is over. It basically skips the most disliked section with Noctis.

you know, having played them both now I think I probably should have skipped Noct's section.

I understand what they were going for but they did it in the most boring way possible. Even if it remained as linear at least give me something better than those hallways!

Seems according to Dengeki, FFXV has crossed a million physical copies sold in Japan. Bringing the number of total sales in Japan with digital and physical to around 1.2 million and possibly more than that.

For reference, in Japan both digital and physical copies of the game sold were roughly around 1M.
I don't know if this is written wrong or I've just junctioned too much but I can't figure out what you're saying.

Man, I'm back IN. Watching lore vids, the music, actually playing. Haven't felt like this since release.

I'm a bit bummed about the lore on display, but I can still appreciate what's in front of me without letting it get me too far down. Guess I'm glad I was never all that invested in the vs13 and Stella era. Sounded cool, but I didn't enter hype mode at the time.

Man, I'm back IN. Watching lore vids, the music, actually playing. Haven't felt like this since release.

I'm a bit bummed about the lore on display, but I can still appreciate what's in front of me without letting it get me too far down. Guess I'm glad I was never all that invested in the vs13 and Stella era. Sounded cool, but I didn't enter hype mode at the time.

The Bestiary in the game now adds a little more story to each Astral and even other monster entries have some cool little side stories about the world. I'm happy with it!

The Bestiary in the game now adds a little more story to each Astral and even other monster entries have some cool little side stories about the world. I'm happy with it!
I read Titan's and Ramuh's but they didn't seem like anything more than I'd see in a magazine preview. Maybe the more important ones (end game) are better?

Toth

So FF Peasant posted a very good video about the problems thus far with FF XV DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdInCMou7BI

Worth a view. He makes an excellent point that SE needs to stop adding derpy DLC (even when it is free) when they (and fans) are aware that the big issues with FFXV remain largely unresolved. He makes a great point about the potential consequences of this plan.

Finally played and beat this game, despite the messy story and how much I dislike the summon/magic system, I really enjoyed the game but is a shame it was stuck in development hell, this game and story has the potential to be so much better than what it is.

Falk

that puzzling face
don't think he'd even have the time to play them anyway so its not much different from pc user buying a bunch of steam games during '13 steam sale or something

edit: Actually I wonder what his Civ6 cheevo list is like hahaha

Just wanted to pop in to say I just started this for the first time a few days ago. It is the first "new" FF game I have played since XII, when it originally came out on the PS2, like 5 years ago. I skipped XIII, and XIV. I was just finishing up Nier Automata, and I saw this one sale, and decided to bite. I played the Duscae demo, and loved it. I played the Platinum demo, and loved it. Everything I've seen about the game really interested me, so I jumped right in.

I actually played King's Tale, watched Brotherhood, then Kingsglaive (in that order) before I started XV. I am very happy that I did, because of how things have happened so far. I am probably halfway through Chapter 3, but I still am loving every bit of this. I spent 16 hours in Chapter 1, just exploring and doing things. I see this was a mistake, as it is making me want to do the same to all of Duscae. But I can't. I must come to terms with that.

I love the world though, and walking through the small outposts I've seen or little towns seems so very genuine. To me, this is what I expected from a more open world "next gen" FF game. As of now, I am at 25 hours, and I'm pretty certain I'll be hitting 100+ in no time. I adore this game so far, and I couldn't be happier that I jumped in when I did.

Just wanted to pop in to say I just started this for the first time a few days ago. It is the first "new" FF game I have played since XII, when it originally came out on the PS2, like 5 years ago. I skipped XIII, and XIV. I was just finishing up Nier Automata, and I saw this one sale, and decided to bite. I played the Duscae demo, and loved it. I played the Platinum demo, and loved it. Everything I've seen about the game really interested me, so I jumped right in.

I actually played King's Tale, watched Brotherhood, then Kingsglaive (in that order) before I started XV. I am very happy that I did, because of how things have happened so far. I am probably halfway through Chapter 3, but I still am loving every bit of this. I spent 16 hours in Chapter 1, just exploring and doing things. I see this was a mistake, as it is making me want to do the same to all of Duscae. But I can't. I must come to terms with that.

I love the world though, and walking through the small outposts I've seen or little towns seems so very genuine. To me, this is what I expected from a more open world "next gen" FF game. As of now, I am at 25 hours, and I'm pretty certain I'll be hitting 100+ in no time. I adore this game so far, and I couldn't be happier that I jumped in when I did.

Welcome! Happy to hear that you are enjoying the game, Baron Von Beans. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask us anything. We got some good people here. :)

Theres a sale for this!

Since finishing the Witcher + DLC I've been wanting to enjoy a story heavy game for some time.

Can this compare? (I know it can't but can it give some of the same sense of exploration, writing, etc?)

Koozek

Theres a sale for this!

Since finishing the Witcher + DLC I've been wanting to enjoy a story heavy game for some time.

Can this compare? (I know it can't but can it give some of the same sense of exploration, writing, etc?)
I mean, what RPG can compare with TW3? :D But nah, if you're looking for great sidequests and world-building, FFXV can't even remotely compete, unfortunately. There is a good sense of exploration, imo, though. I had serious Zelda feelings discovering all the dungeons all over the world.

Greetings. I have few questions:
I noticed that the final game has better graphics on PS4 Pro than the Judgment Disc on PS4 Pro which still maintained the the bad AA and the dithering on hair and shadows. Here it is almost all gone and the IQ is very crisp., I was very surprised tbh.
- The game on PS4 Pro has 3 modes: High, Lite,Steady. What is the difference between all? I switched between both in gameplay but I didn't notice any change.
- How does the wait mode work? It felt clumsy to me. When I stand still I enter a pause screen but it does let me choose to attack any enemy as if I was playing normally but in an automatic way. What is the purpose of this?
- You can't listen to the soundtrack on PS4 like with for example Knack 2 soundtrack unless you copy it to an USB drive having file called MUSIC in it? This is weird.
- Most important thing: Both Platinum demo and Judgment Disc were normal in the options. the sound volume was decent and I didn't need to increase the TV volume but in final game I had to increase it very much. That is weird. Also the screen was full in both demos but in the final game the screen was shrunk from all sides giving black bars as if I was playing some indies or PS2 Classics. I went to options/display to adjust it but it told me to increase the screen size in PS4 settings which I don't want to do since it makes all my main UI icons so big and all the other games not suited. It used to be fine for the demos but not in final game? This is so weird. I really hope there is a fix for this.

Thanks.

Koozek

Greetings. I have few questions:
I noticed that the final game has better graphics on PS4 Pro than the Judgment Disc on PS4 Pro which still maintained the the bad AA and the dithering on hair and shadows. Here it is almost all gone and the IQ is very crisp., I was very surprised tbh.

- The game on PS4 Pro has 3 modes: High, Lite,Steady. What is the difference between all? I switched between both in gameplay but I didn't notice any change.
Pro's High Mode (checkerboard 4K, better textures, improved effects; capped 30fps) has framepace issues (don't you notice them?). Steady Mode (1080p; capped 30fps) and Lite Mode (1080p; uncapped, averaging between 40 and 50fps) don't have those issues, though. Even I couldn't play the High Mode because of the wonky framepacing and I'm usually absolutely not sensitive to issues like that.
- How does the wait mode work? It felt clumsy to me. When I stand still I enter a pause screen but it does let me choose to attack any enemy as if I was playing normally but in an automatic way. What is the purpose of this?
Well, for people who don't like too much or can't play frentic action games and want to take time to make decision. Never tried it out, but I had a friend who beat the game like this. It's like a weird compromise to try to please fans of turn-based combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6_prJYhQc
- Also the screen was full in both demos but in the final game the screen was shrunk from all sides giving black bars as if I was playing some indies or PS2 Classics. I went to options/display to adjust it but it told me to increase the screen size in PS4 settings which I don't want to do since it makes all my main UI icons so big and all the other games not suited. It used to be fine for the demos but not in final game? This is so weird. I really hope there is a fix for this.
Yeah, that issue came after update 1.03 for some people with Overscan not disabled on their TV if I understood the issue correctly. Seems you have to enlarge the screen area in the PS4 OS menu, but yeah, it won't display other games correctly afterwards then (doesn't seem like they addressed this again in any other patch so far, so I guess this is the only temporary fix for you). Unless you instead try to turn off overscan on your TV and check if that solves it. Look for that option if your TV has it. It's often called differently for different TV brands/models. E.g. on my older Samsung TV it's under the image format/aspect ratio menu where if I choose Screen Fit it disables Overscan and shows the whole image (which makes a pretty big difference actually since otherwise your image is always zoomed in a bit and thus a bit blurrier, and you see less actual rendered image area).

Pro's High Mode (checkerboard 4K, better textures, improved effects; capped 30fps) has framepace issues (don't you notice them?). Steady Mode (1080p; capped 30fps) and Lite Mode (1080p; uncapped, averaging between 40 and 50fps) don't have those issues, though. Even I couldn't play the High Mode because of the wonky framepacing and I'm usually absolutely not sensitive to issues like that.

Well, for people who don't like too much or can't play frentic action games and want to take time to make decision. Never tried it out, but I had a friend who beat the game like this. It's like a weird compromise to try to please fans of turn-based combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6_prJYhQc

Yeah, that issue came after update 1.03 for some people with Overscan not disabled on their TV if I understood the issue correctly. Seems you have to enlarge the screen area in the PS4 OS menu, but yeah, it won't display other games correctly afterwards then (doesn't seem like they addressed this again in any other patch so far, so I guess this is the only temporary fix for you). Unless you instead try to turn off overscan on your TV and check if that solves it. Look for that option if your TV has it. It's often called differently for different TV brands/models. E.g. on my older Samsung TV it's under the image format/aspect ratio menu where if I choose Screen Fit it disables Overscan and shows the whole image (which makes a pretty big difference actually since otherwise your image is always zoomed in a bit and thus a bit blurrier, and you see less actual rendered image area).

Thanks for all the explanations. I will check this later.

I mean, what RPG can compare with TW3? :D But nah, if you're looking for great sidequests and world-building, FFXV can't even remotely compete, unfortunately. There is a good sense of exploration, imo, though. I had serious Zelda feelings discovering all the dungeons all over the world.

Ahh I expected this. I do appreciate some good old exploration though, that's rarely done good nowadays with minimaps showing everything pointing to everywhere that is not previously visited and whatnot.

Would it be good to also just get the season pass, do we know something about whats expected ?

Koozek

Ahh I expected this. I do appreciate some good old exploration though, that's rarely done good nowadays with minimaps showing everything pointing to everywhere that is not previously visited and whatnot.

Would it be good to also just get the season pass, do we know something about whats expected ?
I would get the Season Pass if you beat the game first and liked it. It consists of an upcoming multiplayer mode (some time this autumn) and 3 character episodes where you play as each of the other main characters at certain points of time during the main story where they are separate from the rest of the party. Each episode is at least around 1-3 hours (Episode Ignis is supposed to be the meatiest, so it might be even longer) and has its own areas and gameplay style. E.g Episode Gladio (released in March) had more weighty combat, Episode Prompto (released in June) had third-person shooting, and Episode Ignis, which comes in December, probably will have more strategic gameplay (maybe "turn-based" or RTS-like?).

Multiplayer had a small beta a few weeks ago.
  • Beta entry is for those who own the season pass.
  • PlayStation®Plus required.
  • You can create and save up to 8 characters.
  • Develop avatars using experience gained from defeating enemies and completing quests.
  • Noctis and his friends will also be made playable at a later date. (probably after Episode Ignis is out?)
  • Unlock customization elements with item purchases at outposts and quest rewards.
  • Hubs include a base camp and a city. The city will be in the full version, not the beta.
  • Weapons include katana, club, dagger, polearm, crossbow, shields, and shuriken.
  • Attack patterns vary from those of Noctis.
  • New system called Royal Sigils. Sounds to be the Kingsglaive magic thing. There will be 4 Royal Sigils in the beta.
  • Online parties will consist of four players. If you played alone you'll get 3 A.I companions.
  • The beta will include three quests.
  • There's a cooking system where you and your party collect ingredients during the quest to cook them afterward.
  • There's a thing called Meteorshards that sounds like a currency to unlock new quests.
  • You can create camps to meet up with friends.
  • You can take photographs.
  • Interact with other players using preset chat messages. Also supports voice chat.

Check this thread for more details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411461

I turned off overscan from the TV which didn't solve the issue at all, it just made the screen a little bigger but the black bars still surround it. The black bars make almost half of the game screen. This is horrendous.

I would get the Season Pass if you beat the game first and liked it. It consists of an upcoming multiplayer mode (some time this autumn) and 3 character episodes where you play as each of the other main characters at certain points of time during the main story where they are separate from the rest of the party. Each episode is at least around 1-3 hours (Episode Ignis is supposed to be the meatiest, so it might be even longer) and has its own areas and gameplay style. E.g Episode Gladio (released in March) had more weighty combat, Episode Prompto (released in June) had third-person shooting, and Episode Ignis, which comes in December, probably will have more strategic gameplay (maybe "turn-based" or RTS-like?).

Multiplayer had a small beta a few weeks ago.

Check this thread for more details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411461

I appreciate the answer, thanks man.

Top Bottom