• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

The one thing I can't figure out with the Iron Giant is how to consistently avoid its grab attack without some kind of convoluted maneuver. It's undodgeable and unparryable; you can warp into him to avoid it but the invincibility period differs by weapon so some won't succeed. It's really strange.

Maiar_m

Just done playing the demo. I must have missed something. What was the purpose of this demo? Most of the combat was "keep pressing O". The environment was pretty enough but so lifeless (playing TW3 right after wasn't a good idea I think). Noctis... well. No. Plain no.

The boss fight, which I guess was supposed to be the highlight of the thing, made no sense to me. Sure, wraping was fun, but I didn't understand the damage system. I failed to dodge quite a bit but couldn't manage to die (yes, when a game doesn't punish me for not being any good I find that disappointing). I couldn't get fire to work more than once .

I don't know, maybe for someone who played the first demo it made some kind of sense. For a first contact though, it made me question VERY hard any will to purchase this game.

Exentryk

The one thing I can't figure out with the Iron Giant is how to consistently avoid its grab attack without some kind of convoluted maneuver. It's undodgeable and unparryable; you can warp into him to avoid it but the invincibility period differs by weapon so some won't succeed. It's really strange.

Warp away, or use Shuriken stagger.

anyone knows how to do that 4 Hit Combo at the end of the video after the charging broadsword attack?

It's just the Tempest attack done by holding the back direction while attacking with the Broadsword.

MilkBeard

Just done playing the demo. I must have missed something. What was the purpose of this demo? Most of the combat was "keep pressing O". The environment was pretty enough but so lifeless (playing TW3 right after wasn't a good idea I think). Noctis... well. No. Plain no.

The boss fight, which I guess was supposed to be the highlight of the thing, made no sense to me. Sure, wraping was fun, but I didn't understand the damage system. I failed to dodge quite a bit but couldn't manage to die (yes, when a game doesn't punish me for not being any good I find that disappointing). I couldn't get fire to work more than once .

I don't know, maybe for someone who played the first demo it made some kind of sense. For a first contact though, it made me question VERY hard any will to purchase this game.

They took away death so that people could get through the fight. It's just a demo. You will die in the main game.

As for magic, it has a limited number of uses. You can get more by stepping on some of the plates. It confused me at first but then I realized that I ran out. There is a little number that shows how many uses you have left. Perhaps they should fix this minor confusion by simply making the number more visible.

Mugaaz

This demo was crazy bad in making me interested in the game. Maybe one of the worst demos I've ever played if the purpose was to hype me into buying. Really can't formulate any opinion on how the real game will be from the demo. 0/10 would not demo again.

Hope the actual game is good.

If they can just fix the iq, frames and vaseline filters I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

Even though that Forrest area felt horrible. Please less of that in the full game.

Also felt the house should have more to it.

Kingdom Hearts is hopefully better looking than this, was great on Ps2

Lemondish

Honestly, I feel like this demo was a playable tech demo to show off the adaptive resolution, day/night cycle and lighting engine, and weather effects. The entire dream sequence with young Noct will not even be in the main game. The last fight us important, though. Take a look at the last few pages in this thread to see a bit more of the depth in the combat from that final fight.

It seems like a good idea to end air combos with the large sword. It returns you to the ground but you can easily get a ton of MP back while doing damage this way.

I think the Katana will have its own class too.

When you summon the Armiger I noticed there was a crossbow floating around.

I didn't expect them to add the shuriken and shield, I figured it was just going to be short sword/large sword/javelin variants like in duscae but if this demo is any indication we'll be getting quite a few unique weapons.

Skii

This is almost like a Resident Evil 6 situation where there are a fuck ton of mechanics that makes the game deeper than what it initially seems, but you sure as hell can't blame anyone for not getting that deep into it. The issue with having to get through 10 minutes of tech demo to get to the only thing that will translate to the main game aside, there is no excuse for not only lacking a tutorial, but having so much of this shit hidden (hidden weapons that have wildly different movesets).

Square Enix had this problem with Kingdom Hearts 2. the game's combat is so deep but most people finish the game by just spamming triangle and cure. Fortunately we got 2.5 which forces us to fully utilise our options but it's just unforgivable that they didn't teach us the gameplay properly. I really hope the same doesn't happen to FFXV because the gameplay looks so solid. It would be a shame if this deep, rich combat is either hidden or simply not needed to complete the game.

Loudninja

It seems like a good idea to end air combos with the large sword. It returns you to the ground but you can easily get a ton of MP back while doing damage this way.

When you summon the Armiger I noticed there was a crossbow floating around.

I didn't expect them to add the shuriken and shield, I figured it was just going to be short sword/large sword/javelin variants like in duscae but if this demo is any indication we'll be getting quite a few unique weapons.
Thougt I seen a crossbow!

I think he's referring to the Iron Giant's throw. He literally grabs you, crushes you with his hand then tosses you into the ground.

You can avoid the ground toss by pressing triangle (sometimes the prompt doesn't pop up, I'm guessing it's due to lack of MP since you warp dodge out of his grip) but I haven't been able to dodge the initial grab.

I did it once literally dodged the grab, I'll practice this or attempt to recreate it to see if it was a fluke or what. Here's the dodge grab
http://youtu.be/3skt-bLT_dk

wmlk

Wait, are we going to be able to control the other party members? If so I wonder what kinds of things they'll be able to do since they can't warp around like Noctis can.

Yeah, I couldn't tell what the other weapons were though.

You'll be able to assign passive actions/techniques to other party members, and potentially assigning their behaviour in certain situations (like Gambits). We haven't heard much of the latter, though.

Noctis is basically a jack of all trades.

platina

I'm in love with the lighting in this game, so good!
u1wHDL.png

6UkYRs.png

Balls

Banned
Square Enix had this problem with Kingdom Hearts 2. the game's combat is so deep but most people finish the game by just spamming triangle and cure. Fortunately we got 2.5 which forces us to fully utilise our options but it's just unforgivable that they didn't teach us the gameplay properly. I really hope the same doesn't happen to FFXV because the gameplay looks so solid. It would be a shame if this deep, rich combat is either hidden or simply not needed to complete the game.

I remember Tabata saying something along the lines of creating a battle system that is easy on the surface but hard to master. That's definitely been the case here.

We can give them orders to do special moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaED9Y7UJE

You'll be able to assign passive actions/techniques to other party members, and potentially assigning their behaviour in certain situations (like Gambits). We haven't heard much of the latter, though.

Noctis is basically a jack of all trades.

I remember reading something about gambits a while back. I'm looking forward to seeing how deep the party customization goes considering most of the stuff they've shown so far mainly concerns what Noctis can do.

September can't come soon enough.

JBwB

I remember Tabata saying something along the lines of creating a battle system that is easy on the surface but hard to master. That's definitely been the case here.

So... Like Kingdom Hearts haha.

That's definitely the vibe I got when I experienced the combat system for the first time. There's a lot of depth to be had there, all they need to do is provide some well designed bosses / enemies.

I remember reading something about gambits a while back. I'm looking forward to seeing how deep the party customization goes considering most of the stuff they've shown so far mainly concerns what Noctis can do.

September can't come soon enough.

I'm expecting something like KH for gambits not deep as XII but I could be wrong.

Oh I forgot the Broadsword can regenerate MP, how much does it give back?

No idea, does it really?

Just finished playing the demo for the first time. I've not played Duscae (?).

This felt more like a tech demo than a game-demo. I didn't have an issue with the IQ, but the texture filtering / LOD and the poor frame pacing was disturbing.

Gameplay-wise I don't feel like I learned much. The combat seems alright, but not as engaging and fun as I expected. Jumping feels terrible, like most RPGs.

Driving the truck into the wooden blocks was the highlight for me. And in a demo for a Final Fantasy game, I'm not sure that's such a good thing.

I was super hyped when this was called Versus XIII, and for the PS3. Now, I'm having a hard time getting excited for it.

I'm expecting something like KH for gambits not deep as XII but I could be wrong.

Oh I forgot the Broadsword can regenerate MP, how much does it give back?

No idea, does it really?

I read somewhere that it was like 40pts per regular hit. That would make sense as in one of your gifs I noticed that your MP jumped spontaneously and I couldn't work out why until I saw a post on Reddit that mentioned that it restores MP. I haven't tested it myself though, I'm burnt out on it for today tbh. I don't think any of the special attacks restore MP but I'm sure someone will test and find out.

Just finished playing the demo for the first time. I've not played Duscae (?).

This felt more like a tech demo than a game-demo. I didn't have an issue with the IQ, but the texture filtering / LOD and the poor frame pacing was disturbing.

Gameplay-wise I don't feel like I learned much. The combat seems alright, but not as engaging and fun as I expected. Jumping feels terrible, like most RPGs.

Driving the truck into the wooden blocks was the highlight for me. And in a demo for a Final Fantasy game, I'm not sure that's such a good thing.

I was super hyped when this was called Versus XIII, and for the PS3. Now, I'm having a hard time getting excited for it.
That's because it is. :p

I read somewhere that it was like 40pts per regular hit. That would make sense as in one of your gifs I noticed that your MP jumped spontaneously and I couldn't work out why until I saw a post on Reddit that mentioned that it restores MP. I haven't tested it myself though, I'm burnt out on it for today tbh. I don't think any of the special attacks restore MP but I'm sure someone will test and find out.

Read a comment there that echoed one of my thoughts. I was thinking about having several weapon slots (let's say 3 max which = 12 weapons) and have them flip with R2, sort of like dmc3 weapon cycling. For instance before battle you set your weapon deck and cycle thru it live.

Philippo

I just hope they give us back a dedicated button for weapon skills like Tempest or Jump, i don't want them locked behind button combinations.

I just hope they give us back a dedicated button for weapon skills like Tempest or Jump, i don't want them locked behind button combinations.

Doesn't look like the case my dear friend, I mean the Dpad is already taken for our manual switching which I'm grateful behind words. You're hope lies within the remaining buttons L1,L2,R1,R2

Ydelnae

Isn't the font too small? Since I jumped into current gen, I was surprised at how small fonts are now, but with this game I can't barely read anything. It feels it's made either for big tvs or for small tvs and sitting right near the monitor. I'm used to play to my PS4 while laying on my bed, so reading anything in this demo makes me feel blind.

Nerokis

As someone who has been invested in Versus XIII/XV for a ridiculously long time, going through the demo was a pleasure. The music, the art direction, the premise of being in one of young Noctis' dreams, being lead around by Carbuncle. . .as limited and rough around the edges as this thing was, I was charmed the entire time.

It feels like I barely explored the gameplay, but I liked the changes from pre-patch Duscae (never checked out the update). I've learned to appreciate the level of automation in XV, and how it can lend itself to a FF-esque approach to action combat, but manual weapon switching makes it much more engaging.

I've enjoyed checking out some of the videos posted in this thread. It seems they've dramatically improved aerial combat, and it's great to see the warp mechanic looking cool and useful. I really hope the actual game teaches you the mechanics in a smart way. It needs to minimize the "this feels weird" phase, and get people to the "oh, this is interesting" phase much faster.

Overall, I'm feeling positive. There's room for refinement across the board, but the demo hinted at a game that has the potential to be great. At this point, my biggest worry is probably quest design. XV is releasing in around 6 months, and I still haven't seen any evidence that traversing the world will be interesting from a quest design perspective.

You know, I felt this way at first, but after getting used to tempest in the demo I really like it. Switching through skills in Duscae was awkward, having them bound to the equipped weapon with an easy analog stick trigger works nicely I think.

chozen

After playing the demo and seeing how the air combat, the demo has me hyped.

This can be way more complex than KH2 was. The usage of warping is so integral to not getting hit maintaining range and managing hp/mp, warp striking with different weapons give different effects as well. The shuriken is by far my favorite warp attack weapon, it gives a long I-frame as well as staggering the Iron Giant. Weapon switching is also necessary to manage mana like using the Greatsword for example or you can be defensive and quickly react by popping out the shield.

Also as a bonus, the shuriken was a surprise to me, I never imagine Noctis using them so that makes me wonder how many other weapons they have in store. When I was using armiger I saw him use a Crossbow and a Halberd.

On a side note I found a glitch where I can infinitely float high up on the map and move around. Uploading now if anyone is interested. Very cool video might I add.

Just played through the
tech
demo on PS4 and got a total of 345 crystals, did I miss any? Overall it wasn't too exciting and the graphics are fine for a game of this scale. Though I'd like for the framerate, dynamic resolution (the switching is noticeable at times) and camera wonkyness to get under control. Also, the magic effects are visually too overpowering and messes with the lighting to a point where you can't even see Noctis on screen, especially with raindrops. I'm guessing they aren't final though as the meteor spell looks more like christmas lights :p

Liked the music and Carbuncle!

I could barely tell what was happening during the combat with the final boss. Was I dodging properly? Was he flinching? All I know is I hit B a bunch of times and won. And the fire thing stopped working after one try.

One of the weirdest parts was stepping on the player transformation plate and turning into a monster. I couldn't tell if the enemies were avoiding me or ignoring me. Killed a bunch then got bored of chasing them. At least it looked cool.

Pretty poor demo overall, should have just been grown Noctis from the start.

Just played through the
tech
demo on PS4 and got a total of 345 crystals, did I miss any? Overall it wasn't too exciting and the graphics are fine for a game of this scale. Though I'd like for the framerate, dynamic resolution (the switching is noticeable at times) and camera wonkyness to get under control. Also, the magic effects are visually too overpowering and messes with the lighting to a point where you can't even see Noctis on screen, especially with raindrops. I'm guessing they aren't final though as the meteor spell looks more like christmas lights :p

Liked the music and Carbuncle!

No way those spells are the final versions, they're toy spells for demo kid Noctis. That said, I love the lighting on Meteorain. Cast it at night in Altissia by the starting point and you can see the glowing marbles go bouncing way down the canal.

As much as i had fun with the demo , is there any chance they'll make movement/combat more responsive ? e.g the number of times a button presses corresponding with the number of attacks , the jumping/moving not feeling stiff etc... As is the combat looks cool and flashy but feels sluggish , not being able to cancel attacks into other attacks doesn't help either.

Hopefully royal magic will implemented in a way in which the flow of combat wont be disrupted when used. Either way i'll be there day one.

chozen

Very cool! looked like you could neither go up higher than the highest warp point with free warp or past the citadel walls, right? Still neat to get a broader vantage on the city and the top of the main building.

Yeahh no idea how were gonna get past it, even then I think the city models in the back are low due to the demo size being small but packing in quite a bit of assets, still cool to try though.

So are we assuming the guys each have their own class of weapon (and I suppose armor as well), while Noctis can access all of them?

Yeah for sure, I also saw Crossbows and a Halberd being used in armiger.

Top Bottom