• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

chozen

How are you guys maintaining the air combos. Are you using the triangle button to keep warp striking the boss in mid air?

Things to do for height, flip backwards, warp through iron giant by untargeting him, using shuriken warp strike, hit two or three times with air step sword or w.e, flipping forward as well.

wmlk

The Armiger gauge:

As0APNp.png

E3 2013 bar (MP? Can't say for sure since the entire UI wasn't always functional and seemed tacked on):

BmhM62Q.png

They look very similar, and they both have four notches equally spaced. Since the game has an MP bar independent from the Armiger, I wonder what this means.

chozen

The Armiger gauge:

As0APNp.png

E3 2013 bar (MP? Can't say for sure since the entire UI wasn't always functional and seemed tacked on):

BmhM62Q.png

They look very similar, and they both have four notches equally spaced. Since the game has an MP bar independent from the Armiger, I wonder what this means.

But the E3 mp bar depleted when he warped.

Things to do for height, flip backwards, warp through iron giant by untargeting him, using shuriken warp strike, hit two or three times with air step sword or w.e, flipping forward as well.

Yeah, in-air target unlock through warp is probably the slickest move I've seen. I still have trouble doing it and then relocking without screwing up my combo.

Sorry but I suck at the demo. How do you flip forwards or backwards? How do you untarget?

Sorry but I suck at the demo. How do you flip forwards or backwards? How do you untarget?
Hold the left analog down and press O/B he does a backflip on the ground and in the air. Remember that the airstep sword grants you air abilities (Shuriken as well). Just do a soft lock on instead of pressing R3. Different directional inputs gives you different attacks, experiment!

Hold the left analog down and press O/B he does a backflip on the ground and in the air. Remember that the airstep sword grants you air abilities (Shuriken as well). Just do a soft lock on instead of pressing R3. Different directional inputs gives you different attacks, experiment!

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTQ2C978xVc

Not in the gameplay footage. Everything else in the UI worked so that may have been changed to not being used for warp.

Interesting that there are several huge sword toting guys in this video with what looks like a stable frame rate. Wonder if they will be able to do this in the final game.

I hope there's a decent tutorial because when the final game comes out there's going to be a lot of "OMG you only press O to win!!!!" posts if they don't have a decent one in place.

Although previous experience tells me that no matter what kind of tutorial you have in place there will always be some people that skip through it then complain later.

I hope there's a decent tutorial because when the final game comes out there's going to be a lot of "OMG you only press O to win!!!!" posts if they don't have a decent one in place.

Although previous experience tells me that no matter what kind of tutorial you have in place there will always be some people that skip through it then complain later.

Well if it works it is true after all.

Well if it works it is true after all.

Yeah but I kind of compare it to DMC games.

Sure you could go through a DMC game mashing Square (this would take a really long time) or just Triangle with the occasional dodge when necessary but there's a lot more to the game than that. There's a lot more to get out of it with the tools at your disposal versus just going with the absolute bare minimum.

They've clearly designed the combat here to ask players to experiment and come up with cool combos while swiftly dodging enemy attacks.

So I'm hoping the tutorials showcase that a bit. Well, even if they don't show you enough at least the OT should contain some combo/explanation videos from this thread to help out those who haven't spent a lot of time with the Platinum demo.

wmlk

What's exciting is that you can fight higher level enemies like the Behemoth in Duscae using combat like this, and it'll be a legitimate challenge. With turn-based games it was a death sentence.

Logash

After fighting the Iron Giant like 20 times and playing with all four weapons, I gotta say that I love the combat. It's so much more versatile than it originally appears and it's so much better than the old demo. My hype for this game is over the roof. Probably more than P5 at this point because it feels more real.

I have a sneaky feeling Noctis might be related to the knights of the round. He's probably In the conversation of being one of the most OP protagonist in FF.. Lightining being a God and all takes the top spot.

Him being related to it makes so much sense.. Especially with that painting.

I would love to see their entrance. After seeing how Ramuh and Titan are summoned I can't fucking imagine

Kiro

Not sure if I like the demo. Fighting is okay but I felt the potential I just haven't quite grasped it. But the frame rate, camera are meh and the graphics are an 8 when I was expecting an 11. Even at a 60 percent discount on day 1 I'm considering cancelling this.

So is there no way to "Continue" in the demo? Like if I played through some of it and had to quit (but after it saved), then turned off the game. The title screen just says "New Game". Not sure what the point is in saving it unless it's just if you die kinda thing.

I haven't gone back to the demo but can't wait to find all the weapons and give the battle another try.

Also sorry for being lazy, but could someone edit the OP and compile all the good videos showcasing how the combat works? Exploits, advanced techniques, etc.

I should add that me and everyone else that gave the demo shit for being what it is should really give it another chance. You don't go 'git gud' when someone complains about not knowing how to play Dark Souls and then turn and say that XV's combat is crap because you couldn't pull a perfect fight against the giant. Likewise for the visuals, one of my biggest gripes with Bloodborne is how FUGLY it can be in all sorts of angles, yet nobody complains because of the generally good art direction. For a huge game like XV where there will probably be less loading times, we ought to be a lot more forgiving.

A little bit off topic here but does anyone know if there will be armor in the game , like head, body, arms, legs/feet?

Ehh I don't think so if we're talking visible clothing. I'm sure charms and buffs (via Ignis cooking) is guaranteed.

So is there no way to "Continue" in the demo? Like if I played through some of it and had to quit (but after it saved), then turned off the game. The title screen just says "New Game". Not sure what the point is in saving it unless it's just if you die kinda thing.

You can reach the boss in 5 mins if you run by everything, once you reach the boss and defeat him there's a plate to summon him constantly.

After fighting the Iron Giant like 20 times and playing with all four weapons, I gotta say that I love the combat. It's so much more versatile than it originally appears and it's so much better than the old demo. My hype for this game is over the roof. Probably more than P5 at this point because it feels more real.

Chances are that P5 won't be as flashy but will have bigger lasting power among the best of rpg's. Though as long as this game doesn't fuck up the story it'll hold a spot too assuming technical issues can be smoothed.

Aters

Here's a good video showing air combat at its best in the demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOANsxjZ78

Here's another video of me glitching and falling/floating above the map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBdsBuirLac

Too bad most people just hit O and win and complain on the Internet. It's SE's fault after all. They should give us a much better tutorial, not just throw us into the fight with some button prompt and an OP magic.

Likewise for the visuals, one of my biggest gripes with Bloodborne is how FUGLY it can be in all sorts of angles, yet nobody complains because of the generally good art direction. For a huge game like XV where there will probably be less loading times, we ought to be a lot more forgiving.

People would say "it's a Final Fantasy", and if this game doesn't look as good as the Witcher 3 they'd riot despite the fact that the Witcher 3 is probably the best looking open world game out there. In the same time, all the other JRPGs can look like PS3 games and people will have absolutely no problem with it because "they are not AAA games".
What's the matter people? They are all $60 games, so why the different standard?

Falk

that puzzling face
Give me your top 3

If we're talking about controllable protagonists and thus going by the barometer of end-game for mainline games that have been released all the way to the end of any sequels released (so LR counts, Advent Children doesn't), I'd probably go with

1) Lightning (lol)
2) Cloud
3) Cecil
4) Terra

Logash

Chances are that P5 won't be as flashy but will have bigger lasting power among the best of rpg's. Though as long as this game doesn't fuck up the story it'll hold a spot too assuming technical issues can be smoothed.

Course. I'm of the mind that we should count ourselves lucky that we are being graced with 2 JRPG power houses in the same year. I have a feeling that I will like P5 better just because Persona is my favorite JRPG series ever. I think that FF has so much more to prove at this point and the excitement of the demo and an actual release date has pushed me over the edge. I'm just super excited about Final Fantasy right now.

Course. I'm of the mind that we should count ourselves lucky that we are being graced with 2 JRPG power houses in the same year. I have a feeling that I will like P5 better just because Persona is my favorite JRPG series ever. I think that FF has so much more to prove at this point and the excitement of the demo and an actual release date has pushed me over the edge. I'm just super excited about Final Fantasy right now.

What a time to be alive 8 * drakes voice.

what if each of those weapons that Noctis has used to belong to one of the old kings and they each pass down a weapon or something.
Good theory.
I'm almost certain the armiger weapons will be just this! Ultimate weapon King regis'?

Ultimate weapon will be that big ass sword we seen Noctis wield in the past.

Top Bottom