• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

Hope each new armiger weapon still works like in Duscae - not just improving the damage of the limit break move, but granting a unique ability (timed damage negation, projectile blocking, etc).

The motor sword? Maybe - I figured that was supposed to be his iconic starting sword a la buster or gunblade.

Last time we saw it, was two years ago during the TGS trailer.
Final-Fantasy-XV.0.0.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XV-TGS-2014-2-1280x720.jpg

chozen

I think Tabata just said in a recent interview we won't be fighting along side Luna.

So it seems her ability to fight like Stella isn't there.. Rather she is just a mage/summoner

"You will not be able to play as Luna in combat, or fight alongside her. Despite her large role in the story, Luna will not be your pal in battle.
But the team hopes that people find her lovable, and they feel she will appeal to players easily. She will play a huge part in Kingsglaive."

ok the demo made me really want a PS4K. watching the amazing trailers of PC footage is just SO much better than what the PS4 is apparently capable of pulling off..

i know, i know.. "it's just a demo, relax they'll optimize it" and blablabla. we all know there's no way it will look and run like in the trailers on PS4 (as in way more detailed than the demo and much smoother). but on PS4K it might. at this point i'm willing to buy a new console to experience this game like it's meant to (and TLG hahah). call me crazy, i don't care lol.

of course, i'll eat my words if the game ends up just as great as the trailers on PS4 but ehh, there's just no way. the footage is so obviously captured on a PC significantly more powerful than a current console.

.JayZii

Banned
She was a fencer who was meant to be an unwilling antagonist to Noctis with similar abilities.
I hope that scene is still in the game for everyone that wants to see it. It would be a good surprise, though half the people who post in these threads would go into convulsions.

BUt also Luna won't be an antagonist. Or at least it doesn't seem that way whatsoever

Really? My understanding from the trailer showing their different childhoods and the tidbits of info was that she's also an unwilling antagonist of sorts, to make it somewhat like a Romeo and Juliet tragedy?

Maybe I read wrong.

Each weapon was made with the tears of Stella's fans.

PREACH

Since we still don't get to see how the entire battle system and party coordination works, I'm still hoping it can imitate the one from Tales of Symphonia.
During battle you can pause to use an item, target a different enemy, or command anyone from the party. I LOVE how easily it handles everyone's AI by setting it to something like "attack same," "attack far," or "long range magic/heal." For example you could set Ignis' AI to:

-Attack far to have him retreat from nearby enemies and focus on the farthest ones out
-Support and magic/heal to use MP only on healing and buffing spells

For XV this would be perfect, including the option to change targets while paused for those who prefer a more methodical battle.

Really? My understanding from the trailer showing their different childhoods and the tidbits of info was that she's also an unwilling antagonist of sorts, to make it somewhat like a Romeo and Juliet tragedy?

Maybe I read wrong.

That could very well be the case but I got that vibe from the first time you see Stella but I don't get that from Luna at all

MAtgS

I thought they just did away with Stella altogether and made Luna with a whole different background surrounding her.

Don't quote me on that though.

They got the same last name Nox Fleuret & hail from the same land. Not utterly different.

She was a fencer who was meant to be an unwilling antagonist to Noctis with similar abilities.

It doesn't seem like there's anyone to fill her place.

It's a shame because they could have had a Dante/Vergil type situation here like in DMC3.

Like you could fight her in a bunch of boss battles where she has new moves/weapons in each one to mirror Noctis' growth over the course of the game, similar to how it was done in DMC3
including a boss fight where they fight side by side towards the end

I think a lot of us got that impression, you could see their disinterest in fighting each other on there faces. Speaking of Shakespeare, wasn't the story meant to be somewhat influenced by Hamlet? I remember the "Nothing is either good or evil" quote from the initial trailers.

Originally there were those quotes but we haven't heard or seen those in quite some time

How does that thing work though? I don't see an edge on it, so how can it damage people?
He swings them with both hands, watch the e3 2013 combat vid or the TGS one. Seems like a finishing move with air warp properties.
I have a feeling those are weapons you get later in the game. I'm not super familiar with the FF series but do they normally have an ultima weapon like Kingdom Hearts? I think Cloud had something like that, it looked purple? I wonder if you'll get a set of swords in this game.

Yes, that's correct.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe I just need more time to get used to it but my impression was the whole control scheme was janky and somewhat unresponsive. It just felt... unnatural.

Maybe I just need more time to get used to it but my impression was the whole control scheme was janky and somewhat unresponsive. It just felt... unnatural.

plenty of people have issues with the movement/controls so it's not rare for you to feel like that. Maybe it DOES take time to get used to it but lord knows I'm not gonna play the whole demo to get to the good part again

Camjo-Z

Never played an FF game, streamed the demo for my brother to watch. Our impressions:

- why is a critter texting me
- What is this, a 3D platformer? Am I collecting gold coins here?
- Oh boy, it's Kingdom Hearts combat but worse
- why am i a truck
- did that critter just send me a fucking emoji
- why am i a giant deer thing
- why am i a crocodile with wings
- YES that stupid sidekick critter died
- NO he came right back
- I have no clue how to dodge this boss's attacks but I'll button mash anyway
- Why would they give me the option to not end the demo? Is there something el- oh you can fight him again
- Wow I really have no clue how to fight this boss *quit*

Needless to say, Day 1 purchase

chozen

Never played an FF game, streamed the demo for my brother to watch. Our impressions:

- why am i a truck
- NO he came right back
- Why would they give me the option to not end the demo? Is there something el- oh you can fight him again

^ Summarizes the common consumer of the demo, What was square thinking, it is fantastic when you learn all of its mechanics though

Dark_castle

I think the shield and shuriken should have been part of Noct's default arsenal from the get go. Shield because timed blocking was a lot more responsive and satisfying than dodging, and stuns target. Shuriken because ranged attack, ranged air combo are nice.

.JayZii

Banned

- why am i a truck
- NO he came right back

Needless to say, Day 1 purchase
You should do reaction videos.
I think the shield and shuriken should have been part of Noct's default arsenal from the get go. Shield because timed blocking was a lot more responsive and satisfying than dodging, and stuns target. Shuriken because ranged attack, ranged air combo are nice.
I'm also glad he's not just "sword guy" like he looked to be in the beginning.

Limality

Banned
ok the demo made me really want a PS4K. watching the amazing trailers of PC footage is just SO much better than what the PS4 is apparently capable of pulling off..

i know, i know.. "it's just a demo, relax they'll optimize it" and blablabla. we all know there's no way it will look and run like in the trailers on PS4 (as in way more detailed than the demo and much smoother). but on PS4K it might. at this point i'm willing to buy a new console to experience this game like it's meant to (and TLG hahah). call me crazy, i don't care lol.

of course, i'll eat my words if the game ends up just as great as the trailers on PS4 but ehh, there's just no way. the footage is so obviously captured on a PC significantly more powerful than a current console.

which trailers are you referring to? and again, it's not a matter of power...more powerful hardware doesn't really mitigate problems where optimization would be the solution. Even if the consoles use the same architecture as PCs, that doesn't mean they are not customized by each company.

The Platinum Demo was also made by a small team in the time-span of 2 months...so yeah.

But if you're saying you just want the game on "Ultra-Settings" yeah then wait for the PC version...then again, looking at all the things that are already going on on the consoles (lighting, cloth and hair simulation, particles etc.) it won't get any better apart from maybe better textures and better AA solutions. If they do sort out the Frame-Pacing issues from the Platinum Demo, which could possibly be only a problem in the platinum demo, as episode duscae 2.0 did play very well, you'.. get one hell of a good looking and good running open-world game on consoles.

I'm hoping Luna becomes an unwilling antagonist. In the trailer, it shows her defining whatever Leviathan is telling her to do. And we know from Kingsglaive, Niflheim gives Lucis an ultimatum that they'll stop their attacks if they give up their land and force Noctis to marry Luna.

If the marriage is forced, it sounds like it could be a tactic to get Luna closer to Noctis, and have her attack him.

I'm hoping the Stella/Luna thing all stemmed from the childhood memories/promises that were never apart of the Versus lore.

Limality

Banned
Can anyone link it?

Also Kagari did you hear anything about this?

http://www.ffdream.com/news-15871.html

Revenons à Final Fantasy XV et sa démo technique promise depuis ... septembre 2014. Teasée de longue date, elle arrive dans un écrin totalement inattendu et surprenant à bien des égards ! Développée en deux mois par une petite équipe, Platinum ( de son petit nom) nous propose de suivre Noctis enfant dans un rêve chimérique en compagnie du facétieux Carbuncle.

Translates to (my French is rough so...)

Back to Final Fantasy XV and it's promised Tech-Demo since....Decembre 2014. It arrived in a box? and was surprising in many ways....Developed in 2 months by a small team, Platinum (shortname/nickname for the team) blabla Noctis blabla Carbuncle

Top Bottom