• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Socivol

Wow, really? Just make them die for god's sake.

Another question: Why was Ardyn helping Noctis so much? He needed Noctis to enter the crystal or something? Why not just kill him?

He wanted to destroy the crystal's power and the line of Lucis. If he just killed Noctis the crystal would have been able to chose another true king. He didn't kill him until after he was inside of the crystal and absorbed all of it's light into the Ring of the Lucii because after Noctis killed Ardyn the crystal has no more power and the line of Lucis was no more. He actually got everything he wanted.

Labadal

For everyone who is still like:
But the bros are all dead because they were there in the afterlife to help Noctis defeat Ardyn! D:
The final defeat of Ardyn does not take place in the afterlife but in the heart of the crystal.
After Noctis gets sucked into the crystal this is what Bahamut explained to him:
"The heart of the crystal, wherein lies the soul of the star. And it is in this place, where the king will gain the power to fulfill his calling. By the light of the crystal and the glaives of rulers' past."
If that wasn't clear enough, the Ardyn defeat takes place in the exact swirl of blue and violett with crystal particles floating around in which Noctis was when he met Bahamut...
It's not only not the afterlife but the bros are also not there in reality when Ardyn is defeated. They are a mere vision of Ardyn. We only see them for a second from Ardyn's point of view. He then shakes his head in agony and they are gone again. It is only Noctis and the former Lucian kings who defeat Ardyn, just as Bahamut foretold. (I think Luna and Regis too were only visions by Ardyn.)
The only afterlife scene in the game (the campfire scene took place before entering Insomnia to confront Ardyn) was the scene of Noctis' and Luna's wedding. Regis was with them (in voice) but none of the bros attended. You would think they were invited if they were dead as well, right? That was also the point of having the bros there in a picture...unless you chose Cindy. ;)
(I've said this several times. The final death of Ardyn happens in the crystal, not in the afterlife but not a single response. It's like I don't exist.

Tyaren

(I've said this several times. The final death of Ardyn happens in the crystal, not in the afterlife but not a single response. It's like I don't exist.
Aww... :( I think I saw you mentioning it before. Back then I had all hands full to explain that even if afterlife or heart of the crystal or Kenny Crow's Nest, the bros weren't actually there anyway but just visions of Ardyn.

Falk reading these music comments

fab.gif

Gorillaz

No. The game has had enough cut from it already.
Preceding chapters should be longer, not this one shorter. It's only long relative to the breakneck pace of the previous chapters in the latter parts of the game.
Nah they can cut and have that shit too while we're at it.

Tabata out here spending millions in development for a linear dungeon with jump scare grenade zombies?

No mas

Asd202

I must say I hated the Ravous battle set up. Guy is dead, reviwed by the Deamon power or whatever. Reminded me of the Cid fight from FFXIII. Garbage. It would have been far more interesting if it were some kind of 1vs1 fight versus Noctis if he is worthy of the Regis sword. With some story build up with Luna it could have been far more impactful

nOoblet16

The thing I find weird about that whole thing is that they went to all that length to create a special animation for one enemy that you don't see anywhere else..and yet they couldn't be bothered to use decent textures for the place where they stand on top after Noctis gives them the sword.

I actually thought they were trying to warp strike the Turtle and glitched out of map because of those textures then I saw a follow up animation and realised it was suppose to happen this way.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Having gotten the platinum trophy and Aranea permanently in my party, I'd say I'm pretty much done with the game. I enjoyed it a tonne but I don't usually replay games, especially JRPG's (even if the main story is on the shorter side). I'll have to check the extra content on youtube I guess which is pretty sad.

The romance angle of the game was kind of strange. FFVII-FFX-2 it all made sense, but here we have an arranged marriage between two people and it would have been nice to have more story content to explain how much they care for each other despite not seeing each other in a very long time. I remember when it looked like we would actually meet Luna in Altissia back in 2014. I don't know if it was clever editing or actually the case.

One really minor thing; Luna has flawless skin in early trailers (like the above) and even in her render on the loading screen, but in-game she's more sunkissed and freckled perhaps as a result. I'm sure nobody noticed or cared about the disconnect with the loading screens/CG render and in-game model except me though.

FFVII-X-2 all had love interests in the same age range, and Luna is pretty close, it works.

But the other, more minor ones are strange. Aranea is a good deal older and is probably messing with Noct and co. in their initial meeting. Makes for a hell of an interesting boss fight though! She was the "coolest" anti-hero I've seen since the Cyborg Ninja from the original Metal Gear Solid. I'm serious, I love crazy-ass superhuman action anti-heroes. She was definitely a strong character and a high point of the game. While I liked the road trip premise well enough and had no issue with the four guys as the cast (as long as there were other females around), would have been cool if she joined permanently, and not as a glitch, later on. Yeah, that's 5 characters instead of the traditional FF four from the original few titles if that's what they were going for, but whatever, she was cool.

Iris looked too young and it was sort of weird. Noct is supposed to be like 20...

Moving along, Ardyn's voice actor did an amazing job to bring Ardyn to life. Just the right amount of sleaze and camp where he could still fit into the world believably. One thing I didn't understand is why Ardyn spent imperial money to pay Aranea to essentially make Noctis and co.'s lives easier in acquiring that mythril from a dungeon that looked suspiciously final boss-like. I have read and find it plausible that this dungeon was going to be the end of one of the games of the original trilogy plan. Guess it worked for plot development purposes, as Ardyn was impatient or concerned they would die in the dungeon and before his plans finished otherwise, or to show Aranea's development, but I kind of expected Ardyn to make things as difficult as possible for Noct and co. all the time, so it was an interesting twist before he went full evil and killed Luna.

Story needed more motivation provided via cutscenes, that's my main gripe. It was still a great game, but if it had more story motivation I'd probably consider it a 9/10 game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Aranea is my favorite female character in a long time, personality wise. She felt like Lulu from FFX with a bit more agency and self reliance.

Asd202

Aranea is my favorite female character in a long time, personality wise. She felt like Lulu from FFX with a bit more agency and self reliance.

Yeah Arena is great, surprised me. She also has some amazing animations like slapping the guys when reviewing them:p. If they would add her in a patch she would definitely be in my party.

nOoblet16

One really minor thing; Luna has flawless skin in early trailers (like the above) and even in her render on the loading screen, but in-game she's more sunkissed and freckled perhaps as a result. I'm sure nobody noticed or cared about the disconnect with the loading screens/CG render and in-game model except me though.

It's not really a disconnect, that loading screen model is how she actually is. In the game she looks sick because she is sick by the time events of the game happen, plus the events from Kingsglaive meant she was bruised and all. It's not unusual to use the "healthy" version of the model for the loading screen render art.

LiK

Imagine if Aranea found you in Chapter 13 and ended up being your party member in that chapter and you talked to her about the shit that was going on there. You get some important plot revealed and she would have more screen time and development. That would've redeemed that entire chapter for me.

Bladenic

Most of them weren't written by Shimomura, which is interesting because you'd think she would tackle the themes you end up hearing the most in the game.

Is the OST out? Do we know who composed what? I feel like Shimomura's involvement in this game was a lot less than we were lead to believe. I'm sure she's saving her best for KH3 anyway.

Ferr986

She's the only secondary character that I feel it would really work on the team as a permanent in post game, mainly because she could have more chemistry with the group than Iris and Cor.

Frankly, I think having secondary characters only in some chapters was a good idea, the game's story is all about the friendhip bonds of the bros.

Still, would be a cool addition for postgame content, like hiring Aranea as a merc for days (paying each day, kinda like Chocobos) and Iris and Cor being free to help you for a day but in random occasions (like some days they are busy with their shit so they can't join your party).

jb1234

Is the OST out? Do we know who composed what? I feel like Shimomura's involvement in this game was a lot less than we were lead to believe. I'm sure she's saving her best for KH3 anyway.

The limited edition has been leaked and credits were posted but I'm not convinced as to their reliability. For one thing, they only post composers, not arrangers and it's clear that a lot of people had their hands in this particular pie.

Example: It claims Ravus Aeterna is composed by Shimomura when it sounds much more like Suzuki and was almost certainly arranged by him, if not composed as well. I'm waiting for a more reliable source, which should arrive when the OST is released tomorrow.

Valonquar

I don't understand if I'm supposed to think Bahamut = Aranea or not. They zoom in on the eye and it made me think of her anyhow.

Pancake Mix

It's not really a disconnect, that loading screen model is how she actually is. In the game she looks sick because she is sick by the time events of the game happen, plus the events from Kingsglaive meant she was bruised and all. It's not unusual to use the "healthy" version of the model for the loading screen render art.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, that would make sense. But they still changed it really late in development so it kind of threw people off. She looked pretty healthy until earlier this year.

She does look sickly in the final game.

compared to what we saw in 2014 and 2015.
^She was a real Nomura-made stunner back then.

Mailbox

The limited edition has been leaked and credits were posted but I'm not convinced as to their reliability. For one thing, they only post composers, not arrangers and it's clear that a lot of people had their hands in this particular pie.

Example: It claims Ravus Aeterna is composed by Shimomura when it sounds much more like Suzuki and was almost certainly arranged by him, if not composed as well. I'm waiting for a more reliable source, which should arrive when the OST is released tomorrow.

Sorry but Ravus Aeterna reminds me solely of Shimomura's style. Has a huge L'Impeto Oscuro vibes, but minus the gusto and crazy instrament movements. It feels like a very claustrophobic sounding Shimomura piece is what I'm getting at.

It could very well have bee arranged by someone else, but I somehow doubt it.

Really not feeling the XV piano collections version of Somnus...it's not nearly as good as the version in the game. And this is coming from someone who's purchased every one of these albums.

Pancake Mix

ok but like that other girl is also Shiva so anything is possible.

I doubt it. Aranea does come off as superhuman and a 1 woman army (although with 2 loyal allies, the Cockney accented Brits), but she's never implied to be something supernatural, just a really good mercenary.

In contrast, Gentiana was identified as not really being a human being that even exists early on in the game, but something more.

LiK

I doubt it. Aranea does come off as superhuman and a 1 woman army (although with 2 loyal allies, the Cockney accented Brits), but she's never implied to be something supernatural, just a really good mercenary.

In contrast, Gentiana was identified as not really being a human being that even exists early on in the game, but something more.

Yep, they already mentioned Gentiana was something inhuman early in the game and she can teleport instantly.

jb1234

Sorry but Ravus Aeterna reminds me solely of Shimomura's style. Has a huge L'Impeto Oscuro vibes, but minus the gusto and crazy instrament movements. It feels like a very claustrophobic sounding Shimomura piece is what I'm getting at.

It could very well have bee arranged by someone else, but I somehow doubt it.

Yoshitaka Suzuki is the only composer (and arranger) on the soundtrack who uses electronics to that extent. That said, the main theme used is one of Shimomura's.

The.Great.One

Neo Member
Just finished the game at 31 hours and what can I say? What a disappointment really, 10 years of waiting for this and it felt all rushed and a horrible script behind it. The leak by 4chan was right and how shallow of a game it was. Things that I still don't understand why noctis had to sleep for 10 years to gather power? In the end you still have and use the same power as before, you come out the same level with same abilities etc. Maybe a way for them to try add some depth to the story. Poor noctis was a lamb raised to be slaughtered not a king to rule. So many many more bad points but i won't go on.

I'd give it a 6.5/10

Golnei

Since Aranea isn't shown post-timeskip, I don't think we can rule out the possibility of Bahamut taking one of her eyes.

Yoshitaka Suzuki is the only composer (and arranger) on the soundtrack who uses electronics to that extent. That said, the main theme used is one of Shimomura's.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't have minded it if Shimomura had contributed a few more synth-heavy pieces like Unknown Unknown and The Evinos to the soundtrack.

TannerDemoz

Massive spoiler:

Costlemark Tower is a bag of bollocks and I'm currently having to return to the entrance because of a second camera glitch.

Game is a joke.

jb1234

Speaking of which, I wouldn't have minded it if Shimomura had contributed a few more synth-heavy pieces like Unknown Unknown and The Evinos to the soundtrack.

Haha, that Last Ranker track sounds like it came right out of Parasite Eve.

Yoshitaka Suzuki basically confirmed Ravus Aeterna was his work when I asked. It uses leitmotifs by Shimomura though, hence the composer credit?

https://twitter.com/yochin0817/status/810121421988986880

Probably, yeah. I did some more digging and it looks like the booklet for the limited edition is very lacking in specific composer/arranger detail. Maybe the regular edition will have more but I'm doubtful.

BadHand

Is there any towns you can visit (outside of the main quests) in the final chapters? I just went through the story and it didn't occur to me to explore.

Top Bottom