• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at new Conan (Schwarzenegger: "My bod laughs at your bod.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiji

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
not amused
conanbarbarian017.jpg

ei5en8.jpg

mjc said:
Arnold was good, but far too roided out. Pretty much anyone who says that he was/is the embodiment of Conan has never read the stories.

Outside of the face/hair, almost everyone of Howards short stories goes into how muscled Conan was in length. Of course the extent to how big Conan was is never given, the artwork in many of the adaptations would paint Conan to be a huge buff dude not much different from Arnold.

Brannon

If he's not taking barbarians and crushing them with his sword, or taking women and crushing them with his love, all in graphic detail, then this movie can just take a seat with The Last Airbender over there in the 'fuck off you goddamned waste of time' booth.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Pimpwerx said:
Conan, like Commando, was a bad movie made awesome by Arnold. This movie is made of fail. PEACE.

Conan was the best sword & sorcery adventure movie ever made.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy films could have used a few pointers from that film.

Salazar said:
You do have to persist in order to moderate the instinctive impression that they are just homoerotic juvenilia. They are more than that, but I can well understand the folks who get off at that station.
Don't forget flagrantly racist.

let's get fucking real here, this guy is fucking massive, not far off from kratos level of huge.

In the books conan is described as the finest swordsman of his age, with cat like grace and panther like reflexes. Conan the movie is my favourite film ever but you can't possibly say arnie had great reflexes in that film, he was clearly struggling with his sheer bulk. (for example, subotai and the chick were far far better and agile in the fighting scenes.)

Dyno

Yeah, that picture up there says it all. Not the right tone or mood.

Arnold was a great Conan. He looked enough like Frazetta's art and the movies had enough Howard references to satisfy. Plus even though they changed Conan's origin it worked well enough for the movie's plot. (The Vanir Wheel of Pain was a movie thing, in the books Conan had a hell-raising youth and was taking part in tribal skirmishes at a young age. He took off adventuring around 15 or 16 and the earliest stories cronicle those times.)

conan_the_barbarian.jpg

frank_frazetta_manape.jpg

You want to go for this look. You wouldn't fuck with Giger's Alien for the same reasons you don't fuck with Frazetta's Conan. Bad ass is BAD ASS!!!

I feel bored just looking at jpegs of this new guy, literally had to stifle a yawn. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a high precedent. There's not a person alive that could bring the physical presence a prime Schwarzenegger brought to his roles.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Norante said:
There you have it

6gdm5x.jpg

All I can think of is a cheap romance book cover. :lol :lol :lol

This might be okay if the background wasn't so fucking cheesy.

GhaleonEB

Yup, definitely looks like some horrible romance novel cover. Just needs some scantily clad woman off to the left.

Status of confidence: not high.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Combine said:
Lame.

Just going by looks alone, which is all we can go by for now. This guy doesn't even remotely compare to Arnold. It's like Adrian Brody in Predators. :lol

Hey now, Predators is still looking to be a decent movie, though. And it's doubtful he'll fight the Predator the same way Arnie did. It seems like a more ensemble-oriented cast this time around.

Danneee

Norante said:
There you have it

All I can think of is a cheap romance book cover. :lol :lol :lol

Speaking of which, why didn't Fabio ever do a fantasy movie? Not that I would like that but he sure got those looks.

Also, I like how Arnold's Conan always seem to have drool around hos mouth when he eats. Nice touch.

-NeoTB1-

Darklord said:
That oaf from Stargate: Atlantis is playing conan? Well, at least he has the same acting quality as Arine did back then.

He will be playing Khal Drogo in the upcoming HBO series based off of G.R.R.M.'s A Song of Ice and Fire novels too. I didn't like him that much in Atlantis, but I'm cautiously optimistic he will do better in these 2 roles.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Its sad that even in her own movie shes not the subject of her own movie poster. Arnold dominates the piece.

As he should. Arnold was such a tour de force during the 80's you can't really expect Brigitte Nielsen to compare.

fizzelopeguss said:
let's get fucking real here, this guy is fucking massive, not far off from kratos level of huge.

In the books conan is described as the finest swordsman of his age, with cat like grace and panther like reflexes. Conan the movie is my favourite film ever but you can't possibly say arnie had great reflexes in that film, he was clearly struggling with his sheer bulk. (for example, subotai and the chick were far far better and agile in the fighting scenes.)

And hes constantly described as being large and detail about how muscular of a character he was. People need to realize they were pulp fantasy stories, it's not really realistic in most cases either. The descriptions sounded fine on paper, but in reality it does not work out to have such a large muscular person with "cat like reflexes" and bouncing around as much as he did in the original short stories. Even the original Conan art sketches didn't really fit with the description of someone of such amazing agility.

SUPREME1

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Here's the rest of that segment from Wikipedia, though:

So, fault the 6'4", 210lb. Momoa for not having a square-cut mane of hair or blue eyes, fault him for being a bad actor, fault him for not being born Arnold Schwarzenegger; but don't fault him for not being big enough or muscular enough or tan enough to play Conan, when he easily fulfills those requirements as envisioned by Howard himself.

...but does he move like a panther? I don't think so.

Space A Cobra said:
As he should. Arnold was such a tour de force during the 80's you can't really expect Brigitte Nielsen to compare.

If I were a producer for Red Sonja I'd agree. if I were Brigitte I'd be pissed off.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
RustyNails said:
dare I say they look about the same size? Arnie is "primed" in his pic, but the general muscle mass doesn't look too off. I even thought arnie had more defined abs back in the day but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Either way, original film was stupid.
EDIT: not to say it is without merits or charm, but its not the sort of film to get riled up about. Just 80's action/fantasy done well.

Darkman M

Staccat0 said:
dare I say they look about the same size? Arnie is "primed" in his pic, but the general muscle mass doesn't look too off. I even thought arnie had more defined abs back in the day but that doesn't seem to be the case.

EDIT: not to say it is without merits or charm, but its not the sort of film to get riled up about. Just 80's action/fantasy done well.

Nah arnold had a good 40lbs more muscle mass which is a huge difference, but this guy looks up to part for the role.

Raistlin

fizzelopeguss said:

Actually, this guy has proved to be pretty agile on Stargate Atlantis. He isn't just a tank, he does a fair amount of athletic maneuvers. So at least in that regard, it will likely be an improvement over Arnie.

Staccat0 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No, not at all.

Pimpbaa said:
Looks more like a Stygian than a Cimmerian.

Hahahah, exactly!

Rikyfree

Ahhh GAF. What is best in life?

To crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women!

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
lightless_shado said:
Well arnold WAS a professional body builder with roids and crazy supplements. I'm sure this guy is working out the natural way.
How you were able to deduce this from simply looking at the guy is beyond me. You do realize that many bodybuilders take steroids not to get "jacked", but rather to lean out. The guy could be on winny + var and you wouldn't be able to tell without looking at some bloodwork.

Hari Seldon

BattleMonkey said:
Not really. Lot of movies film nudity, sex scenes, gore, etc but in the end it will get cut out just to make it PG-13.

If this movie is not R then it shouldn't even be called conan. Straight-to-DVD this fucking mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom