• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at new Conan (Schwarzenegger: "My bod laughs at your bod.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lionheart1827 said:
Nothing will replace Arnold though, but at least they didnt get this guy to play the part:

Predators was not a remake of Arnold's Predator. Brody was not playing the same part. He was a new character in a new rebooted universe so to speak.

Dead

well not really...yet
Set pics:

h1YV8.jpg

FJe5E.jpg

kvxDR.jpg

FQKV3.jpg

F5mHa.jpg

JIrzn.jpg

link

VALIS

Just recently read through a lot of the fabled 1970s Marvel Comics Conan by Roy Thomas and John Buscema. Goddamn they rocked.

SUPREME1

Banned
The sets look good enough... a little editing room magic will make them look real nice.

Conan though... he looks soft. His arms aren't ripped. They're big, they have muscle mass, but they're not shredded...

Look at Frazetta's conan and then look at Arnold. They're exactly the same. I can understand Conan not having to be too big, but he needs to be shredded. Like he's been pushing a giant wheel for years and been through countless battles and wielded his heavy steel sword for hours on end. Like he's lived in caves and deserts and whatever place made for a decent night's rest during his long journies.

He doesn't look hardened enough. He doesn't look like he can crush his enemies. If you had ten of your warrior homies with you, this guy wouldn't instill (sp?) fear in you like seeing Arnold coming through the gates ready for a fight.

Also, his facial expressions are off-putting. Not feeling this at all... aside from the set pieces.

Only lamentations that will be heard are from the producers after opening weekend. Okay maybe after the first month. The Conan name will sell tix, but word of mouth will quickly kill any momentum it's built up.

Pretty sure I don't want.gif

agreed with Imperial. Everything is working for me except...the lead character. which is a problem. no body builders out there that could qualify for the role?

D3RANG3D

Conan Should have been Roland Kickinger.

1 He's built like Arnold used to be.

2 He kind of Looks like Arnold.

3 He was used as the body double for Arnold's terminator model in Terminator Salvation.

4 He has an accent like Arnold.

5 He is
Austrian Like Arnold.

Let's all celebrate the awesomeness of Arnold's Conan. E.g:

Arnold Schwarzenegger had to tone down his workout, as his arm/chest muscles were so big that he couldn't wield a sword properly.

The fake blood used in the film came in the form of a concentrate, which had to be mixed with water prior to use. Due to the cold weather, it was mixed with vodka (as an anti-freeze) instead. In the scenes in which the actors were supposed to spit the blood, they would swallow it instead, then go back to the special effects man for more.

According to the original script, the tomb where Conan gets his sword was from the lost city of Atlantis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/trivia

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
sparky2112 said:
Amazing in an absolutely craptastic way. They were abysmal. There is nowhere to go but up for Conan on film. Not that this time around WILL go up...
W-what is this shit right here?

What am I reading...

derFeef

D3RANG3D said:
Conan Should have been Roland Kickinger.

1 He's built like Arnold used to be.

2 He kind of Looks like Arnold.

3 He was used as the body double for Arnold's terminator model in Terminator Salvation.

4 He has an accent like Arnold.

5 He is
Austrian Like Arnold.
Ugh... you know I am Austrian too (we all look like Arnold), but Kickinger would be a terrible Conan. Momoa has the right shape. Conan was always described as panther-like, buff, but not heavily muscled.

JoeBoy101

soundscream said:
So the plot is almost the same as the first movie according to the latest empire issue.....
BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, that's just fucking lazy. With all the Conan Mythos to draw from, the redo the story from the first movie. Geez.

derFeef

GunslingerVit said:
Not Arnold.
Not enough muscles.
Not watching.
So you want an Arnold movie and not a Conan movie. Momoa is pretty much the best Conan around (needs more blue eyes though).

Loxley

I'm actually looking forward to the movie overall, that said I really don't understand the recent trend of caking on copious amounts of eye shadow on male leads in action/adventure movies. I understand if you're going to be doing a lot of color-correcting or hue & saturation tweaking in post production, since the darker areas around the eyes help them stand out more (like what they did in 300, for example), but seriously.....

Personally I blame Johnny Depp.

Arnold was a terrible Conan. Mouth full of cotton and idiotic facial expressions. Not to mention the absolute wrong body type.

This guy is far closer to Conan as described and traditionally depicted.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Rock as Conan or bust!

kevm3

Arnold was the iconic Conan, even if it wasn't as perfectly depicted in the comics. This guy has a catty, sassy type face. He just doesn't look intimidating. I could stand a leaner Conan, but not with that kind of face.

charsace

kevm3 said:
Arnold was the iconic Conan, even if it wasn't as perfectly depicted in the comics. This guy has a catty, sassy type face. He just doesn't look intimidating. I could stand a leaner Conan, but not with that kind of face.
You call this guy lean? lol

kevm3 said:

No the movie itself got many of the Conan tropes perfectly. Arnold wasn't the iconic anything.

The build is not so much the problem, as Conan is potrayed in many different manners. Even in the original Howard short stories they often would descibe him as huge muscular individual, yet he bounces around like a cat despite his size. Early art used in the pulp covers often varied as well from athletic builds to more muscular at times. The comic version of the character usually was more in line with the Franzetta artwork with the big muscle bound Conan. Arnold really though didn't match any version of Conan but the movie was such a classic that to people he was the definite portrayal of the character. It's also obvious the movies were the first intro to the character for many.

But really the person they chose for this movie just seems wrong on all accounts, hes not toned enough, even the skinnier potrayals of the character were more ripped than this one, and the dude likely doesn't have the fun portrayal that we got with Arnold.

golem said:
I thought the conanverse was supposed to be fairly primitive/low tech.

Parts are more "advanced" than others and it's becoming more so around the time Conan becomes King. Many areas of the world in the Universe though are fairly primitive though.

charsace

BattleMonkey said:
The build is not so much the problem, as Conan is potrayed in many different manners. Even in the original Howard short stories they often would descibe him as huge muscular individual, yet he bounces around like a cat despite his size. Early art used in the pulp covers often varied as well from athletic builds to more muscular at times. The comic version of the character usually was more in line with the Franzetta artwork with the big muscle bound Conan. Arnold really though didn't match any version of Conan but the movie was such a classic that to people he was the definite portrayal of the character. It's also obvious the movies were the first intro to the character for many.

But really the person they chose for this movie just seems wrong on all accounts, hes not toned enough, even the skinnier potrayals of the character were more ripped than this one, and the dude likely doesn't have the fun portrayal that we got with Arnold.
This dude is a big, muscle bound guy. He's bigger than Arnold.

Donos

RefigeKru said:
/sacked.jpg[IMG]

I can't be the only one seeing bloody ballsack in this image, right?[/QUOTE]

oh you fu**** , can't unsee ..... still there .... must ... not ..... watch .....

Lebron

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

It just won't be the same without Arnie speaking this legendary line of badassatry

Riposte

Aske said:
To be honest, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who embodies Conan physically, let alone someone who can also portray a more complex character than Arnold's attempt. Most of the WWE candidates that I can think of don't have the bearing to pull off Conan, but no one outside pro wrestling seems to have the build. And the performance has to be subtle. The character is more like an animal than a man in many ways; but that doesn't make him the one-dimensional beatdown machine of the old movies. He should have as much going on behind his eyes as a panther. A perceptible intellect that hasn't been moulded by civilized society. That's the essence of Conan.

This is more or less why I never want to see a live-action Berserk movie. And it saddens me. People who could play the role in rawest physical sense, could never do it emotionally or handle the more subtle aspect. At best we'll get some sort of wussy DiCaprio abomination or a stupid WWE star.

derFeef

Always-honest said:
mwahahaaa.. that look. They better just hire Arnold.
They need a european bruut for this. Not a warm blooded Mariachi.
Cimmerians are not european looking. Darker skin with dark hair and light eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom