• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
dont think its fair to judge these pics. looks like htey're going to cgi shit in so will wait for official shots/trailer.

still skeptical but lets be fair guyz.

Even if he ends up looking like a bland Ford Taurus it will have been a better decision than to just reuse the old suit. It's 2012, the new design needs to reflect the change of what we consider the future and satirize that, like the original did with the 80's.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Even if he ends up looking like a bland Ford Taurus it will have been a better decision than to just reuse the old suit. It's 2012, the new design needs to reflect the change of what we consider the future and satirize that, like the original did with the 80's.

I don't think anyone is saying that they should have reused the old suit, but this one looks very generic, and doesn't really look like a robot (though the robot part may change due to CGI and whatnot)

Lemonz

Some new set photos.

9UFYm.jpg

DfIDM.jpg

UtfmF.jpg

9NTFO.jpg

UBW4E.jpg

qQa2F.jpg

e0R5J.jpg

tyVQF.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dredd looked kind of silly in stills and so did Batman, so I won't pass judgement just yet.

Edit: But that doesn't look right at all.

charsace

Looks good to me and different from the original suit in every way which is what I was hoping for. Going in a different direction with the suit is better than trying to update it with a bastardized version. And I doubt they would use metal to build a cyborg when there are better armor materials out there right now that are made for combat. Cyborg folks. Robocop isn't a robot. Living tissue plus technology equals cyborg.

pswii60

He looks too "superhero" to me. And I really really hope this film isn't going that way. Robocop is not a superhero franchise and they better bloody remember that.

Verhoeven's film actually had a lot of emotion and darkness underneath the trademark satire. It was a film about corruption and messed up society. Really got under your skin. I'll never forget Murphy's death scene, it lingers in the memory. Shocking stuff, even today. Just such an incredible film, only the dated effects letting it down now - but would still take those over any CGI fest.

Looks good to me and different from the original suit in every way which is what I was hoping for. Going in a different direction with the suit is better than trying to update it with a bastardized version. And I doubt they would use metal to build a cyborg when there are better armor materials out there right now that are made for combat. Cyborg folks. Robocop isn't a robot. Living tissue plus technology equals cyborg.

Apart from his brain and some basic organs, everything else is artificial. Even his face isn't real.

charsace

And people have to remember that some of the design choices that were made in the original film was because they didn't have the CGI tech that they have now. I gonna take a guess and say the end result of the new suit will look more like technology than man in a suit.

jett

D-Member
Some new set photos.

9UFYm.jpg

DfIDM.jpg

The costume looks very different under those lighting conditions. People really should wait until we see how it looks in the actual movie. One thing I'll say is that it's very dumb of the studio to not release an official picture...or maybe they don't care and this movie is being sent to die.

I don't see anything wrong with the suit, if they are going off of a RoboCop based in the modern day/future. It's not highly original, but it looks about like what I would expect a damn robo suit to look in this day and age. If the film were a recreation of the time and era then I could see a problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Plus, these pics are a bit out of context since they aren't the full representation of how it will look on screen, in motion, and with effects applied.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm going to be shocked if this suit ends up actually looking good in the movie. I can't wrap my head around how it could possibly happen.

Slayven

Budgets are tight, all law enforcement departments are taking a hit. Look at what they did to the Space Sheriff

New_Gavan.jpg

Dead Man

I don't see anything wrong with the suit, if they are going off of a RoboCop based in the modern day/future. It's not highly original, but it looks about like what I would expect a damn robo suit to look in this day and age. If the film were a recreation of the time and era then I could see a problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Plus, these pics are a bit out of context since they aren't the full representation of how it will look on screen, in motion, and with effects applied.

That's the problem. It is not horrible, it is just horribly generic. Just utterly uninteresting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

My problem is it looks like a suit of armor, and not a robot. The old film's suit looked robotic.

Vice

The new suit looks a bit more practical. Less ricochets on ceramics and fibers. Makes sense that the police wouldn't want bullets hitting too many bystanders.

G.O.O.

I'm OK with the design. The one from the 80's was iconic, but it aged poorly imo. Now it just looks like a man in a plastic suit.

Problem is, we had A LOT of movies/video games showing exoskeletons/armors/cyborgs/hi tech suits etc. since the first appearance of Robocop. They just have to make something that looks less stupid than the original and it should be OK.

Kinyou

I'm OK with the design. The one from the 80's was iconic, but it aged poorly imo. Now it just looks like a man in a plastic suit.

Problem is, we had A LOT of movies/video games showing exoskeletons/armors/cyborgs/hi tech suits etc. since the first appearance of Robocop. They just have to make something that looks less stupid than the original and it should be OK.
I wonder if he'll still do those silly "I. am. a. robot." moves

There should have been no mask.
The funny thing is that they probably could have removed it with a press of a button. That's at least one advantage of a cgi costume.

ezekial45

Banned
Why does he have a non-prosthetic hand? THEY NEEDED TOTAL BODY PROSTHESIS!

but seriously, considering the work he's doing having a hand made of flesh seems like a liability.

jett

D-Member
Suit looks better in the new pics.

It definitely looks bigger, bulkier and more robotic and less like an apparent batsuit. :p

Why does he have a non-prosthetic hand? THEY NEEDED TOTAL BODY PROSTHESIS!

but seriously, considering the work he's doing having a hand made of flesh seems like a liability.

At this point i think the human hand is going to be removed entirely and will probably be a cannon-like CGI thing there.

It definitely looks bigger, bulkier and more robotic and less like an apparent batsuit. :p

At this point i think the human hand is going to be removed entirely and will probably be a cannon-like CGI thing there.

Mega Man!

Looks super shit.

OCP logo looks fine, but even that is poorly placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom