• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

LiverpoolGAF why do you have Gerrard still starting? Shouldn't you be looking to move away from him?

Slip aside, he was actually pretty good for us when we figured out the midfield structure in the latter half of the season.

Two pretty high profile mistakes have glossed over what was several months of really good form.

LiverpoolGAF why do you have Gerrard still starting? Shouldn't you be looking to move away from him?

Until we get some solid rumours of buying a player definitely better than him, he remains in my muppet formation. He was good in that role for about 5 months, and he will be again since Rodgers actually caters to his strengths and weaknesses

Wilbur

Banned
Liverpool need more depth in attacking areas which is fine, but some of them will just need to get enough gametime. He can't risk stifling Sterling's development by bringing in someone like Shaqiri, who I wouldn't say is notably better.

Lallana's versatility will help, so that he can play in a midfield three and further advanced, and Gerrard will be resting more. But if they sign Can as well you have to assume Lucas or Allen will be mighty pissed.

Mastadon

Banned

I know he's been poor for England, but he was genuinely great for us as part of a midfield three. I think he'll start at the beginning for the season whilst Can beds in.

I had quinoa salad for lunch.

Feorax

Lallana's versatility will help, so that he can play in a midfield three and further advanced, and Gerrard will be resting more. But if they sign Can as well you have to assume Lucas or Allen will be mighty pissed.

Lucas is extremely limited. He only really knows how to play in one spot these days, and it's where Gerrard plays (albeit doing a different job). I expect he knows what's ahead.

At least with Can, he can play alongside or behind Henderson, and also at LB.

FWIW, seems Origi will be the next one in. Need to start shipping a few out soon though.

Hate to say it, but no matter what variety of formations and signings and setups I think of, my brain ends up focussing on one fact

'That would look much better with Suarez in there'

Why can't he just be normal :(

I know he's been poor for England, but he was genuinely great for us as part of a midfield three. I think he'll start at the beginning for the season whilst Can beds in.

I had quinoa salad for lunch.

I had quinoa last week for the first time.

It was nice if a little...boring. But I suppose it's just a base.

It was the day I got my glasses. A special day.

Not bothered about hererras age. Diego Costa is 25 and he only became known this year, with only 1 cap before this years World Cup. Same with Modric, he was 24/25 before people really took notice of him

Wait.

Isn't Barcelona under that transfer ban or something?

And why Suarez, of all people? They're losing Puyol, they have Neymar and Messi. Are they expecting that their forwards will tiki taka the shit out of the team all 90 minutes of the match?

Plus with Xavi now 34, and Cesc gone, wouldn't that be a problem for the midfield?

EDIT: Wait Xavi left?!

LTWheels

Liverpool need more depth in attacking areas which is fine, but some of them will just need to get enough gametime. He can't risk stifling Sterling's development by bringing in someone like Shaqiri, who I wouldn't say is notably better.

Lucas won't be around for much longer.

Brendan has said that he wants two players for each position.

Midfield 3
Gerrard/Can/Lucas
Henderson/Allen
Lallana/Coutinho

Front 3
Suarez/Aspas
Sterling/Borini
Sturridge/Lambert

I expect Aspas, Lucas, Assaidi and maybe Borini to be sold. Suarez is most likely going as well. Suso has been running down his contract so I can see him going.

Real Madrid will get money from this deal as well.

Yes. Benfica get´s 2.4M€, Real Madrid get´s 3M€ and a third party get´s 0.6M€.
Now this is where things get a little strange. Benfica paid 5.5M€ for 50% of Garay and then sold 10% to a fund for 1.8M€. So Benfica lost 1.3M€ and the fund lost 1.2M€ with the whole deal. The whole thing sounds really fishy, I expect to see Benfica selling another player to Zenit soon at an higher price than his real value just to screw Real of getting more money for Garay, the same thing Porto did with Sporting in the Moutinho - James Rodriguez transfer.

Wait.

Isn't Barcelona under that transfer ban or something?

And why Suarez, of all people? They're losing Puyol, they have Neymar and Messi. Are they expecting that their forwards will tiki taka the shit out of the team all 90 minutes of the match?

Plus with Xavi now 34, and Cesc gone, wouldn't that be a problem for the midfield?

They appealed the ban, knowing they'll lose the appeal, as it pushed the sentence back as well giving them this summer to get their house in order. They need to get this one right, otherwise they're stuck with a dysfunctional squad for 2 years

The Thiago situation is looking more damaging by the day, he'd have been a fantastic tonic to Xavi's decline and difficulty replacing him.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Get the feeling we'll be getting some pretty low fees for the players we sell

So do I for United, I can see no-one bidding what the players think they are worth, or offering the obscene wages they dont deserve.

dc89

BrI445CCAAEWPv2.jpg

Bruno Zuculini, City medical. Aged 21, used to be a huge talent but had a very average season. £1.5m apparently (end of contract), people in Argentina are a bit curious why City are buying him.

Side news from Twitter: apparently the jacket is bought at H&M.

Those club jumpers are proper naughty.

They appealed the ban, knowing they'll lose the appeal, as it pushed the sentence back as well giving them this summer to get their house in order. They need to get this one right, otherwise they're stuck with a dysfunctional squad for 2 years

The Thiago situation is looking more damaging by the day, he'd have been a fantastic tonic to Xavi's decline and difficulty replacing him.

So they buy the one guy who has been banned twice in the last 3 years.

Brilliant.

Shaw and Herrera have their birthday's coming up soon.

If Yaya is still around...boy, he might want to scuttle down Mancunian Way.

Still can't believe they had a road called Macunian Way, jokes.

Yen

Lallana having a medical. So I guess it's done.

The idea of halloumi makes me sick.
I'm probably going to have a bacon sandwich for lunch.

I'm going to a wake later, quite draining.

So they buy the one guy who has been banned twice in the last 3 years.

Brilliant.

tbf, it just makes up for the number of games most players would be injured for :p

I don't really get it though. They'd be better off just going for a striker who would most likely let Messi and Neymar shine, rather than the best forward in general. Then keep Sanchez, and spend that money on centrebacks, a rightback and a couple of midfielders

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
£50m for David Luiz

Its just so much more than any other defender

Meier

Can't see a scenario where Liverpool sign all 3. Shaqiri is only leaving Bayern at all due to lack of guaranteed minutes. Seems like this would be a lateral move in that regard if Lallana happens. Sanchez seems like a similar situation. He's even playing quite a bit at Barça as is.

fucking nonsense, bland. Jesus.

The Gourmet Burger Kitchen halloumi honestly gives me a half chub when I think about it. It was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten.

When are we going?

William isn't allowed to come. It will be me you wedward and anyone else who fancies it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom