• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Lingitiz

4670k at 4.4.
GTX 970
8gb ram

With settings at high, 60 with extremely bothersome stuttering in certain areas. Races with multiple cars at 35-45. Dropped down to medium but the pop in was super distracting. Not too happy with this port overall.

So Microsoft Store on Windows 10 is very bothersome, constant pausing of downloads stops at 30MB, then stops at 2GB then 6GB and then it just stalls, pausing it and trying again after Installation it just resets the download.

If I get to download this stupid game, does it have support for G-Sync?

Theorry

4670k at 4.4.
GTX 970
8gb ram

With settings at high, 60 with extremely bothersome stuttering in certain areas. Races with multiple cars at 35-45. Dropped down to medium but the pop in was super distracting. Not too happy with this port overall.

You did that power management trick already?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
I really want them to iron theEse issues or i wont buy the game. 60fps with the setups im reading in the thread should be easily achievable.

Somewhat interested in checking out Forza, since Gran Turismo is nowhere to be found. But seeing this thread has re-affirmed my position that I want a Scorpio next year to compliment my PS4, rather than re-investing money in my gaming PC.

LostDonkey

Game wont even start for me now. CTD at the playground games logo every time. Was working fine last night. WTF

Edit: Well a restart didn't fix it but a full shut down did.

Working again. Phew.

golem

If you're suffering from stuttering and have an NVIDIA card can you try enabling "prefer maximum performance" in the 3D tab in Nvidia control panel. This seems to have fixed the issue for some people

Oh wow that totally worked! Now running at 8x MSAA with no hiccups!

Bonus pic

29872249445_41c94e231c_o.png

Delicious pictures in here, I can't wait to play this!

Hopefully most of the kinks get worked out by release or in the coming days.

MarkV

So no words about the game not starting at all (stuck in the splash screen)? Would be good to know the devs acknowledge the problem.

Looks like this game runs better on AMD gpus, a friend tested on a RX480 and 1060 and the 480 have more consistent fps... Did this game use Async shaders?

Tankshell

Anyone know how to delete single player progress and restart from the beginning? Now I have some decent settings, I want to restart.

squared

Just tried the game for 45 minutes.

- i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz
- 16Gb RAM
- GTX 1080 @ 2Ghz, latest drivers
- Installed to SSD
- 144 hz monitor

But I'm getting slowdowns and stutters intermittently, the FPS counter is usually between 60 to 100 on Ultra, 1080p. But it's not smooth, even though the FPS doesn't dip below 60..

Just read that "Prefer Maximum Performance" thing, gonna try after work!

But another thing - does the game lag A LOT for any of you in the Custom upgrade menus, especially when selecting wheels? It takes over a second to scroll between two different wheels, and no previous Forza game have lagged that bad on the Xbox (been play FM since the very first one).

GlamFM

Banned

- i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz
- 16Gb RAM
- Installed to SSD
- 144 hz monitor

But I'm getting slowdowns and stutters intermittently, the FPS counter is usually between 60 to 100 on Ultra, 1080p. But it's not smooth, even though the FPS doesn't dip below 60..

But another thing - does the game lag A LOT for any of you in the Custom upgrade menus, especially when selecting wheels? It takes over a second to scroll between two different wheels, and no previous Forza game have lagged that bad on the Xbox (been play FM since the very first one).

Yeah, laggy menus. Not a second, but noticeable

- i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz
- 16Gb RAM
- Installed to SSD
- 144 hz monitor

Yep, the customization interface is very laggy.

Anyone know how to delete single player progress and restart from the beginning? Now I have some decent settings, I want to restart.

Windows settings (not control panel), Apps & Features - click on Forza Horizon 3 - click Advanced Options - Reset.

Ok. Bought the standard edition so can't play until next week, but Ive always had that enabled in "Global Settings".

You should be golden, I have no big issues with it always enabled and it has made a huge difference for people.

Lister

Banned
Is "prefer maximum performance" the thing that can be enabled in 3D setting under "Global settings"?

Yes.

This is a driver issue if you need to turn this on. Something is stalling performance, you'll probably see your GPU stuck at a low% of utilization on afterburner.

Yes.

This is a driver issue if you need to turn this on. Something is stalling performance, you'll probably see your GPU stuck at a low% of utilization on afterburner.

I don't think this is a driver issue, more like the engine is not utilizing the GPU correctly, luckily this should be very simple to fix on the dev's end.

Chili

What refresh rate are your monitors running at? If it is the same as Apex, then I could never get past the splash screen if my monitor was at 144Hz, I always had to set it to 60Hz.

Turns out it is the same as Apex :( Anyone else have this issue? I can't believe it would carry over to Horizon without being picked up.

On the plus side performance seems pretty solid: i6700K @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200, GTX1080 seems to be smooth 60fps @ 2560 x 1440 but I've only had a few minutes with it.

MaLDo

So Microsoft Store on Windows 10 is very bothersome, constant pausing of downloads stops at 30MB, then stops at 2GB then 6GB and then it just stalls, pausing it and trying again after Installation it just resets the download.

If I get to download this stupid game, does it have support for G-Sync?

Ok, in summary

Gears of War Ultimate Edition in Windows Store has stuttering when streaming assets
Forza 6 Apex in Windows Store has framepacing issues and stuttering when streaming assets
Forza Horizon 3 in Windows Store has stuttering when streaming assets
The Windows Store itself has stuttering when downloading games

Great work ms

Li Kao

Have benchmarks been released by some journo ?
I have a 2500k 970 8Go Ram and this looks... Uncertain. What can I expect ? 1080p 60 in high is a no go ?

RS4-

Have benchmarks been released by some journo ?
I have a 2500k 970 8Go Ram and this looks... Uncertain. What can I expect ? 1080p 60 in high is a no go ?

I'm on a 2600k and 970, I'm getting 60 on Med with the dynamic thing turned on.

Some dips, but I'm still in the tutorial section.

edit - my game just CTD after the tutorial.

Bravoexo

Runs smooth @ 4K/Ultra/Unlocked even if it dips below 50fps (i7-3770K@4.5/GTX1080). Haven't tried the Max Perf setting yet.

MaLDo

As much as I think FH3 runs okay for me, yeah this sucks.

Also I think they deliberately held back the PC version so that reviews wouldn't include it :s.

What is okay for you? Maybe is not the same than okay for others.

Runs smooth @ 4K/Ultra/Unlocked even if it dips below 50fps (i7-3770K@4.5/GTX1080). Haven't tried the Max Perf setting yet.

If it dips below 50 fps, is not smooth. Even regular dips to 59 makes framerate not smooth.

Vuze

For anyone having trouble downloading. Make sure you have enough free space on your OS drive.

Being the piece of non-working shit that the store is and has been for the longest time, it takes up the space for downloads on the OS drive even if you specify another one. This has been confirmed happening for FH3 (preload) by a few other people incl. myself atleast.
I now have two 49GB preloads of Forza on my PC on two different drives. I wonder if the store would create a triplet if I tried to move the game to a third drive because moving the installs just copies them apparently (not confirmed by me but another member of GAF).

So if your download constantly fails, this might be the reason.

jacobeid

Banned
For anyone having trouble downloading. Make sure you have enough free space on your OS drive.

Being the piece of non-working shit that the store is and has been for the longest time, it takes up the space for downloads on the OS drive even if you specify another one. This has been confirmed by a few other people incl. myself atleast.
I now have two 49GB preloads of Forza on my PC across two different drives. I wonder if the store would create a triplet if I tried to move the game to a third drive because moving the installs just copies them apparently (not confirmed by me but another member of GAF).

So if your download constantly fails, this might be the reason.

Wow. Guessing that I'll have a stopped download when I get home today then. :/

Glad that I downloaded the XB1 version last night.

Bravoexo

\
If it dips below 50 fps, is not smooth. Even regular dips to 59 makes framerate not smooth.

No, it really is... maybe it's the motion blur or it's this frame smoothing option that somehow makes it work at 4K (DSR). To my eyes at least. The 1080p60 capture I got from it looked smooth as well.

raidersx

Anyone else have a ton of pop in? doesn't really matter what I set it to there always seems to be quite a bit, is it just the game itself?

mcrommert

Banned
Tell your friend to set "prefer maximum performance" in the 3D tab in Nvidia control panel. :)

Wondering if anyone knows if this would be classified as a driver issue? If there is a setting that would fix the issues i wonder if the settings are incorrect on the nvidia side.

T.O.P

Banned
Since i'll be mostly playing the game on X1 i locked it down to 30fps on a oc 970

Everything on high with 4msaa

Mother of god this game is gorgeous

DirtyLarry

Just posted in the main OT not realizing this thread existed yet. Same deal with microstutters everywhere on my end as well.

Will wait for a patch I suppose.
I see the tips about checking off the Prefer Maximum Performance.
May try that out to see.

Top Bottom