• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 4 review.

44850626672_372e767d2a_o.gif

Another win for Playground Games. The best racing game developer right now.

xviper

current MC score is 92 with 46 reviews, expected and well earned, in my opinion it deserves at least 95MC

i don't like Racing games but forza horizon is something else, all the racing games i played before FH (not counting Crash and Mario) i used to play like 1 hour maximum a day and then drop the game in 3 days, but with Forza Horizon games i play at least 6 hours a day for like 2 months, that's how good Forza horizon is, you're gonna love it even if you don't like racing games

i wish this game would get the praise and hype it deserves, it's an underrated masterpiece, maybe with the next Xbox when things change and the hate towards Xbox changes, maybe then Forza Horizon would get recognized as one of the best games ever made and by far the best racing game EVER

petrus91

current MC score is 92 with 46 reviews, expected and well earned, in my opinion it deserves at least 95MC

i don't like Racing games but forza horizon is something else, all the racing games i played before FH (not counting Crash and Mario) i used to play like 1 hour maximum a day and then drop the game in 3 days, but with Forza Horizon games i play at least 6 hours a day for like 2 months, that's how good Forza horizon is, you're gonna love it even if you don't like racing games

i wish this game would get the praise and hype it deserves, it's an underrated masterpiece, maybe with the next Xbox when things change and the hate towards Xbox changes, maybe then Forza Horizon would get recognized as one of the best games ever made and by far the best racing game EVER
this.

LostDonkey

Well deserved and congrats to all the team.

This is one series of games that I know I can purchase without a second thought and it will be stellar.

Bring on Friday.

Dunki

Is it just how it looks in that video, or are the graphics kind of average?
I only saw part of the giantbomb quicklook but even there it looked really really good. I just thought it was funny how you could destroy so much in this tank car XD

Zewp

See, this is what I don't get about modern gaming 'culture'.

Forza Horizon is one of the most beloved racing franchises out there currently. I have roughly 40 people on my Xbox friends list and the overwhelming majority of them own FH3 and many of them still play it regularly. The game sold really well and in July they passed 9 million players, which the developers described as "beyond their wildest dreams". 2 years after release, people are still talking about FH3 and writing glowing articles about the game and franchise. So how is the Horizon franchise underrated? Because it got 92 instead of 95 on Metacritic? Wtf?

I just don't understand that. 92 is an amazing score. What difference is 3 lousy points (on a 100 point scale) really going to make? I'm not even going to point out the irony in the fact that you haven't played the game yet, but feel qualified to say what score the game 'deserves'.

This is why I wish we could just do away with the traditional review scores. This shit makes absolutely no sense at all, especially because all games score between 70 - 100 and people have such a tendency to quibble about the difference between 92 and 95. Gamers have a ridiculous fixation with minute differences in scores.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The game is sitting @ 92 with Metacritic but suuuuuure the graphics look average.... https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/forza-horizon-4?ref=hp
So the higher the MC score, the better the graphics are?
Something in your comment does not compute... I thought games were made of several components, like graphics, sounds, music, gameplay, etc. Why have devs been wasting time with that if all that matters are graphics?
total hyperbole I know , but he asked a question about a component of the game and you went full defense force with MC scores instead of giving him a direct answer.

xviper

Forza Horizon is one of the most beloved racing franchises out there currently. I have roughly 40 people on my Xbox friends list and the overwhelming majority of them own FH3 and many of them still play it regularly. The game sold really well and in July they passed 9 million players, which the developers described as "beyond their wildest dreams". 2 years after release, people are still talking about FH3 and writing glowing articles about the game and franchise. So how is the Horizon franchise underrated? Because it got 92 instead of 95 on Metacritic? Wtf?

I just don't understand that. 92 is an amazing score. What difference is 3 lousy points (on a 100 point scale) really going to make? I'm not even going to point out the irony in the fact that you haven't played the game yet, but feel qualified to say what score the game 'deserves'.

This is why I wish we could just do away with the traditional review scores. This shit makes absolutely no sense at all, especially because all games score between 70 - 100 and people have such a tendency to quibble about the difference between 92 and 95. Gamers have a ridiculous fixation with minute differences in scores.
it's not just about the scores

i won't get into an argument here so i'll just cut to the chase, would you say Forza Horizon 4 has at least 1\6 of Spider-man's hype ?? answer honestly and you'll know why i said Forza Horizon is underrated, and to be more accurate, it's HEAVILY Underrated

Zewp

i won't get into an argument here so i'll just cut to the chase, would you say Forza Horizon 4 has at least 1\6 of Spider-man's hype ?? answer honestly and you'll know why i said Forza Horizon is underrated, and to be more accurate, it's HEAVILY Underrated

So hype == how overrated or underrated a game is?

And yet, 9 million players. That's nothing to scoff at. Considering racing games is a fairly niche genre, do you really expect the same level of hype as a mainstream beat-em-up? Especially considering how much time and money Sony spent on marketing Spider-Man, because they're relying on their first-party line-up entirely at this point.

Forza Horizon is not underrated. It's one of the best-performing racing games in a niche genre. You couldn't hope for more.

Skyr

You do realize it's less hyped because there is a way smaller audience for racing games than for an action game with one of the most popular characters in the world.
To say something is underrated because it has a smaller audience doesn't even make sense.

xviper

So hype == how overrated or underrated a game is?

And yet, 9 million players. That's nothing to scoff at. Considering racing games is a fairly niche genre, do you really expect the same level of hype as a mainstream beat-em-up? Especially considering how much time and money Sony spent on marketing Spider-Man, because they're relying on their first-party line-up entirely at this point.

Forza Horizon is not underrated. It's one of the best-performing racing games in a niche genre. You couldn't hope for more.
You do realize it's less hyped because there is a way smaller audience for racing games than for an action game with one of the most popular characters in the world.
To say something is underrated because it has a smaller audience doesn't even make sense.
the genre has nothing to do with the hype level

The Walking Dead season 1 popularity blew up even though the audience for that genre was almost non existent

before and after Spider-man came out, people talk about it everywhere and praise it like it's an amazing ground breaking game like Witcher 3 or Zelda: BOTW even though Spider-man is just a generic open world game with repetitive quest, main quests that are fetch quests, boring and repetitive melee combat and tons of collectibles and Ubisoft towers, every generic open world thing is in the game, and yet it's popularity exploded, don't tell me because Spider man is one of the most popular characters, The amazing spider man 2 video game sucked balls and had zero hype, i know it was a bad game, so popularity is not based on character, we all know why the new Spider man, despite being a mediocre game, yet received high praise and sold millions in days, the answer begins with S and ends with Y

Forza Horizon is top of it's genre, no competition at all, it's like Forza horizon is Witcher 3 and all the other racing games are Dragon Age 2, and yet it's not that popular, you don't see anyone excited about it in social media or among friends and colleagues, it's like it doesn't exist

manfestival

It's a shame that the game doesn't run at 120fps 1080p. Shame with all the technology that we have that we cannot push the frames to a decent running point for racing games.

TriSuit666

Banned

Because it's on the Xbox One. And that's got 'nothing coming out for it dude. Have you even played Spider Man, Dogggg' - or that's what the chumpy looking YouTuber says, anyway.

Skyr

It's a shame that the game doesn't run at 120fps 1080p. Shame with all the technology that we have that we cannot push the frames to a decent running point for racing games.

What's the point of 120fps if most people have 60hz TVs?

JaffeLion

Banned
Is it just how it looks in that video, or are the graphics kind of average?

I think you need new glasses

the genre has nothing to do with the hype level

The Walking Dead season 1 popularity blew up even though the audience for that genre was almost non existent

before and after Spider-man came out, people talk about it everywhere and praise it like it's an amazing ground breaking game like Witcher 3 or Zelda: BOTW even though Spider-man is just a generic open world game with repetitive quest, main quests that are fetch quests, boring and repetitive melee combat and tons of collectibles and Ubisoft towers, every generic open world thing is in the game, and yet it's popularity exploded, don't tell me because Spider man is one of the most popular characters, The amazing spider man 2 video game sucked balls and had zero hype, i know it was a bad game, so popularity is not based on character, we all know why the new Spider man, despite being a mediocre game, yet received high praise and sold millions in days, the answer begins with S and ends with Y

Forza Horizon is top of it's genre, no competition at all, it's like Forza horizon is Witcher 3 and all the other racing games are Dragon Age 2, and yet it's not that popular, you don't see anyone excited about it in social media or among friends and colleagues, it's like it doesn't exist

one simple reason: its not on ps4, but on xbox one. lol

Last edited:

Gryndel

Neo Member
I'm not really into driving games but since i got 2 months of Game Pass for 2€ i'm gonna give it a try when it launch.
Honestly, now I'm more excited to see Playground new game after all this Forza games

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't like racing games but Forza is amazing.

Which kind of summarizes the success of FH series. It's kind of the Assassin's Creed or Far Cry of car games more than a racing game. The racing is not special in any meaningful way, but they construct a large open world and tons of events to keep players busy. They also excel at scratching the dopamine itch of constant rewards. Level up, new cars, wheel spins, buying houses, etc. The racing is the least interesting aspect of the series (who likes the festival aspect?). The cars all feel the same, the tuning seems irrelevant and watching $1,00,000 super cars crash through walls and drive through fields of mud and grass is cringey. The high latency of 30fps made the driving feel sluggish after coming from a 60fps proper racer.

I bought and played plenty of FH2 and FH3 and they were almost identical games with just different maps. I'm hoping FH4 with seasons and 60fps changes things enough to make it feel fresh. Otherwise it is just another colllect-athon open world game that happens to be in cars instead of on foot. I'm happy I'm getting it with Game Pass though.

That being said a lot of it's draw is the online social aspect which I don't take part in, so for people like me its just going from even to even and getting more cars.

Granty666uk

Do gamepass games allow pre-loading as I leave for a small cottage at the top of Scotland on Friday and there is no way am getting it downloaded on release day.

Whoah this looks amazing. I kinda regret I don't own an XBox nor a PC.
Actually the only thing that bothers me (a lot!) regarding this image is the lack of tide!
I wouldn't be surprised if the next game actually had a tide system opening new roads when the tide goes out. Playground has made huge advancements with each new game in the series. It will be interesting to see what their new open world game ends up being.

Elenchus

Banned

So when Forza Horizon was 30fps, the problem was that it wasn’t 60fps. Now it’s 60fps and the problem is that it’s not 120fps. Call me crazy, but I sense a pattern.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What's the point of 120fps if most people have 60hz TVs?

Because more and more of us are gaming on 144 hz monitors and having that option would be nice.

Once you game at a solid 144 hz or higher its really hard to eve go back to 60 hz.

But some people just do not "feel" much difference between 60 and 144 but the difference is huge to me.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Best racing game ever made, well deserved. There is no competition for Forza Horizon right now. They keep improving every 2 years, and now they set the bar even higher with this one. The graphics, sound, car list, world and gameplay are all A++.

Caayn

Level up, new cars, wheel spins, buying houses, etc. The racing is the least interesting aspect of the series (who likes the festival aspect?).
Are you sure that you're not confused with TDU? You can't buy houses in Forza.
The cars all feel the same, the tuning seems irrelevant and watching $1,00,000 super cars crash through walls and drive through fields of mud and grass is cringey.
Disagree, I can clearly feel a difference between cars when driving. But maybe that's just me.

And maybe the genre is just not for you. Need for Speed, TDU, The Crew etc, plenty of (older) titles that have similar stages/circuits/terrain in them. Not every racer needs to be a simulator. That's why they're different genres.
The high latency of 30fps made the driving feel sluggish after coming from a 60fps proper racer.
Good thing that there's a 60fps mode now, which so far looks to be stable 60fps.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Are you sure that you're not confused with TDU? You can't buy houses in Forza.
Disagree, I can clearly feel a difference between cars when driving. But maybe that's just me.

And maybe the genre is just not for you. Need for Speed, TDU, The Crew etc, plenty of (older) titles that have similar stages/circuits/terrain in them. Not every racer needs to be a simulator. That's why they're different genres.
Good thing that there's a 60fps mode now, which so far looks to be stable 60fps.

You see... there’s this thing called Google... and it lets you look up stuf...oh never mind.

Top Bottom