• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 4 review.

Why would they? There are more PC gamers than there are console gamers (facts). The point I'm trying to make is that this game isn't strictly a Xbox console exclusive. Microsoft opened this game up to the largest gaming audience. Which is a good thing.
Haha facts? Unless they clarify what constitutes gaming, those stats likely include anyone that plays solitaire on their pc one time. So youre saying the (41% PC / 36% console) ratio means people who own a pc are more likely to play forza horizon? Um yeah no.

xviper

i hope Playground realize how much they fucked up the multiplayer of FH4 and fix it ASAP

-no solo adventure, only Team adventure, WTF ? so even if i'm good, i'm still gonna loose due to my shitty team
- no voting for adventures
- no "Drive to event", they replaced it with "Free roam rush" which is a horrible decision, back then, Drive to event wasn't considered an event, and the longer the distance the more XP you got, now you simply don't give a fuck anymore about reaching the goal since it makes no difference whether you reached or not because it's all about "Muh Team"
- coming in first or coming in last doesn't make any difference in terms of XP or CR earning
- you only get XP after completing the adventure instead of getting XP for each event

it's like the team who made FH4 are completely different from the ones who made FH2 and FH3, how can you fuck up something like this ? was it on purpose or something ? was the team tired of making Forza horizon games so they decided to fuck up this one so microsoft would stop forcing them to make Forza horizon games and allow them to make something new ?

"if it isn't broken, don't fix it", that's what they should've done, but what they did instead was break, piss and shit on the whole system

Catphish

Speaking of PC players...

Any PC players having issues since the last update? I dunno if it was the last game update, or the last Windows update but, since 10/10, I can't play FH4 without it locking up. Really sucks. Like, no problems before 10/10, nothing but problems since, and I've changed nothing.

Speaking of PC players...

Any PC players having issues since the last update? I dunno if it was the last game update, or the last Windows update but, since 10/10, I can't play FH4 without it locking up. Really sucks. Like, no problems before 10/10, nothing but problems since, and I've changed nothing.

I read a few dozen posts on forzamotorsport.net about it. I was lucky, my game is working just fine but there are a ton of people who are CTD'ing and can't play since the latest update. The game runs pretty well on my PC and I can run it in potato mode on my laptop, so it would be pretty shitty if the update somehow shit the bed.

Just did the Halo thing. This game is fantastic. I liked 2 and 3 but neither resonated with me as much as this one does. Maybe it's because I live in the UK.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I was impressed with
the levels mentioning all the different computer games featuring cars, ridge racer, outrun, smugglers run, project gotham racing 2, crazy taxi etc. Is / was a bit of a wink to SEGA and Sony there.

And her commentary too - especially the Ridge Racer and PGR2 stuff - kudos!!

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Where do the James Bond cars show up? They aren't in my 'My Cars' selection and if I look at the James Bond DB5 in the Auto Show, it wants 800,000 credits for it.

I've purchased the DLC obvs.

EDIT: Sorry, I've found them. Doofus.

Last edited:

sendit

Haha facts? Unless they clarify what constitutes gaming, those stats likely include anyone that plays solitaire on their pc one time. So youre saying the (41% PC / 36% console) ratio means people who own a pc are more likely to play forza horizon? Um yeah no.

What? LOL....the only thing that data source is stating is that the PC space has a larger gaming population. I'm stating that Microsoft opening their exclusives to the PC gives them a wider audience.. Why are you even trying to argue this?

Bani

I am enjoying the game but finding it a little bit too easy. I don't mean wining races, just clearing the game. Too much money as prizes, too many free cars. I don't know....

This is, though, the only issue I have with it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

For me this is all positive,especially when you don't have a lot of time for games

Dontero

Banned
Am i the only one who finds this game boring as fuck ?
And i am car nut.

"Hey look you can make your own race ! So what do you want ?"

The fuck ? I bought the game so devs could figure that out instead of me !
And worst part of that is that my car doesn't matter. If i have shitty car it will just scale everyone else to my shitty car if i have uber fast one they would scale it to my uber car.

So what is exactly to play here ? Get a car tune it and then just drive around ?

Also there doesn't seem to be any challenge. Everything is piece easy.

Journey

Banned
Is everything easy because you're playing on.... gasp.... easy?

What are your settings for the following?

Steering:
Shifting:
Driving Lane:
Damage:
Rewind:

Lort

Banned
Am i the only one who finds this game boring as fuck ?
And i am car nut.

"Hey look you can make your own race ! So what do you want ?"

The fuck ? I bought the game so devs could figure that out instead of me !
And worst part of that is that my car doesn't matter. If i have shitty car it will just scale everyone else to my shitty car if i have uber fast one they would scale it to my uber car.

So what is exactly to play here ? Get a car tune it and then just drive around ?

Also there doesn't seem to be any challenge. Everything is piece easy.

Any car race in real life has restictions so that its a fair race. Thats how it works now and yes you are ment to tweak your car to get it best in the category as you can.. thats part of your car nut skills you can use.

Set the difficulty harder and the opposition will race better.

Just ignore the custom race maker if you wish therss tones of developer made races.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Any car race in real life has restictions so that its a fair race. Thats how it works now and yes you are ment to tweak your car to get it best in the category as you can.. thats part of your car nut skills you can use.

Just ignore the custom race maker if you wish therss tones of developer made races.
I’m on the verge of getting this game. The demo was fantastic and looked gorgeous on my pc. What is this guy going on about? Is he right about any of it? Is it really piss easy? He’s the only person I’ve seen say anything negative about this game.

Dontero

Banned
You can just try it via Gamepass. Gamepass is now for like 1$ for a whole month. There is also 14 day free trial.
I got it on PC precisely because of that.

My point here is that this is basically game without structure or goal. IT is no wipeout where game starts fairly easy and ups the ante with every new tournament and challenges you to get those golds.

Not only your choice of car or tune doesn't matter but also game uses rubberbanding where opponents speed up when they are behind you and slow down when they are in front of you which really grind my gears.

Spend few hours with it and game is definitely not for me.
It is bassically car collector game with driving in open world and some cinematic races that are hardly races because everything is scaled to you and game rubberbands everything else making your choice of a car, tune and tuning pointless.

More rubber-banding and cheating you mean.

Last edited:

Skyr

I’m on the verge of getting this game. The demo was fantastic and looked gorgeous on my pc. What is this guy going on about? Is he right about any of it? Is it really piss easy? He’s the only person I’ve seen say anything negative about this game.

Piss easy is obviously hyperbolic. But he is not completely wrong either. For me personally it is the easiest Forza title I have yet played. I have no issues winning consistently against the AI on "unbeatable" with no assists. Besides cross country races which give me some trouble.
And I'm honestly not that great at racing games.

Lort

Banned
You can just try it via Gamepass. Gamepass is now for like 1$ for a whole month. There is also 14 day free trial.
I got it on PC precisely because of that.

My point here is that this is basically game without structure or goal. IT is no wipeout where game starts fairly easy and ups the ante with every new tournament and challenges you to get those golds.

Not only your choice of car or tune doesn't matter but also game uses rubberbanding where opponents speed up when they are behind you and slow down when they are in front of you which really grind my gears.

Spend few hours with it and game is definitely not for me.
It is bassically car collector game with driving in open world and some cinematic races that are hardly races because everything is scaled to you and game rubberbands everything else making your choice of a car, tune and tuning pointless.

More rubber-banding and cheating you mean.
If the game used rubber banding you wouldnt always win like the other posters report.

It uses physics on all the cars .. some of the races are setup though so theres points you can cheat ( ie apexs) that you can cut make catching up easier.

Catphish

To all those complaining about the game being too easy...

I recommend setting the Drivatar difficulty to Expert, and turning off all assists (either way on ABS). That should give you about a 95-100% CR bonus. Use that as a baseline and tweak from there.

In my experience, the game does not rubberband AT ALL with this set up. If I win a race, it's because I earned it.

Also, if you set up something crazy like track toys for a dirt race, and deck out your Ferrari with a rally config, you will probably dust the AI because they won't match the config, just the class rating. In the dirt, an 850 Ferrari with rally tires and suspension will smoke the same car specced at 950 without that stuff.

Dontero

Banned
What you said is basically what i said.

Games gives you no challenge. It gives you options to give yourself challenge.
And this is where i don't like game. It is basically "make it what you want it to be"

Even forza7 had better campaign and this campaign was piece of garbage.

Catphish

What you said is basically what i said.

Games gives you no challenge. It gives you options to give yourself challenge.
And this is where i don't like game. It is basically "make it what you want it to be"

Even forza7 had better campaign and this campaign was piece of garbage.
Dude. Everybody's different. One man's ease is another's challenge. The game gives you every opportunity to tune it to your liking, and you're complaining about that?

Bananas.

LostDonkey

Anyone else having trouble with the PC settings sticking on this game. I run the game far beyond the recommended setting AND i only run at 30fps, but the game insists on changing my settings back to a 60fps optimised collection of settings.

Anyone else having trouble with the PC settings sticking on this game. I run the game far beyond the recommended setting AND i only run at 30fps, but the game insists on changing my settings back to a 60fps optimised collection of settings.

Have you done all the game updates, do you use Geforce Experience, and do you download new Game Ready Drivers when they release? My game was doing this as well the first week after launch. I can run 4K/60 at max with some headroom, but the game kept switching to 1440/60 dynamic/optimised. I've noticed people are having issues with the Nvidia overlay settings messing with the game as well. If you have that running, disable it for FH4. Go through the NVidia Game Ready Drivers in GeForce Experience and see what the settings are, if they match what the your game is being switched to, there's your issue. I'm not sure how GRDs choose their settings, but everything I have is water cooled/refridgerated, and pretty aggressively OC'ed, so I can run well above the factory specs NVidia has on my components. By disabling it for the game it won't over-ride your choices until the next driver update which will reset them again.

If you're running an AMD card, I have no idea what to look at.

Last edited:

bilderberg

The time of day lighting in this game is, bar none, the best I've ever seen in a game. Their is gradient in the sky between dusk and night that I've never seen in a game before. Someone needs to make a horror game using this engine.

LostDonkey

Have you done all the game updates, do you use Geforce Experience, and do you download new Game Ready Drivers when they release? My game was doing this as well the first week after launch. I can run 4K/60 at max with some headroom, but the game kept switching to 1440/60 dynamic/optimised. I've noticed people are having issues with the Nvidia overlay settings messing with the game as well. If you have that running, disable it for FH4. Go through the NVidia Game Ready Drivers in GeForce Experience and see what the settings are, if they match what the your game is being switched to, there's your issue. I'm not sure how GRDs choose their settings, but everything I have is water cooled/refridgerated, and pretty aggressively OC'ed, so I can run well above the factory specs NVidia has on my components. By disabling it for the game it won't over-ride your choices until the next driver update which will reset them again.

If you're running an AMD card, I have no idea what to look at.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll give that a try!!

Yes im using a GTX 1070 and I use GFE and download the drivers so it seems to make sense.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
played a few hours, i get the appeal but i found pretty boring.
single player is tedious those checkpoints are the worst when you race against wall runners animals online. and seasons dont do nothing for me, i was hoping for different scenarios, but i get it its uk.

dottme

So I've got Forza Horizon 4 and I'm just starting to play with it.

First, the game is gorgeous. It's really beautiful and great to look at. Technically it's great and the only complain I would have are about the load time. There is way to many of them. Each time you start a race you have a good load time before actually racing. I was expecting that the open world would mean there is no load time but no.

But my main issue with the game is the gameplay. Or more the lack of. I'm not really good at racing game and I'm doing sometime poorly even in the first competition. But the game is always marking the race has success and continue to unlock more stuff.
So I was curious and I intentionally finished last at one race, and no surprised, it was considered a win, it gives me some prize and unlock the next content?
Is there any needs to finish a race first or the game will continue to unload itself what ever I do? I was feeling my position in the race was not really important but now i feel like i don't even need to care. And it makes the game kind of boring already.

And it's not like just the first race like this. I'm at something like 10 races and it's still the same.

Last edited:
The load time is because each race resets the time of day and season, so the game has to "restart" the entire map. It's a downside to having an always online map with a unified clock.

The gameplay is set up so that new races open up as you play. Last place doesn't prevent you from trying another race, but it does give you a fraction of the rewards 1st place does. Unlocking wheelspins, cars, items, and cash rewards goes much faster placing first against higher difficulty AI. Stuff like buying houses and rare cars will burn your cash faster if you don't win races. Seasonal Championship event rewards also require 1st place finishes against Expert AI to unlock all three tiers. I look at it as a play how you want game. If you want to get 1st place, keep doing the same race until you do. For someone else who can only play a few hours a week, having more race options open up regardless of placement isn't a bad thing.

If anyone is looking for a discussion thread for this game, I'd appreciate if you use the OT. It went up late as nobody was interested in making it when the game released, so I put one together after the fact. I update it regularly with game updates so it would be nice to keep as much discussion in there as possible, thanks.

Top Bottom