• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 4 review.

Gek54

Unbeatable is now very beatable, Pro would give me problems in the previous Horizons, this is now a cake walk.

J-Roderton

I can usually get through most races in a breeze but there is one fairly early on and it's a really tight with short laps. I think it's through one of the villages. Gonna have to scale it down for that race, I think.

Sygma

So I'm not alone. The only races which I struggle with on unbeatable are cross country races.

on my end its the street races. can do anything else with proper driving but the rubberbanding in these ones is fucking infuriating, not to mention the beyond awful AI that doesn't make matters any better

ILLtown

I finally got 531/531 roads discovered. The achievement pops at 529 for some reason, but it was bugging me that I couldn't find the last 2! If you're playing on Xbox One, a good tip is to use the built in magnifier so you can zoom into the map a lot closer than you normally can. In my case, both of the roads I was missing were those dashed pink/red dirt tracks and I'd driven about 90% down them, so there was just a hint of grey showing.

Now that I've put a good amount of time into this game, I'd say these are my biggest criticisms so far: -

• Adding DLC cars to your garage is a pain in the ass. There should be a button you can press to just add them all in one go. Also, it would be nice if there was a "mark all as seen" button so that you can mark all new cars in your garage as seen, just to get the "new" tag off them.
  • The houses could be put to better use. You're basically just buying them for the bonuses, but it would be nice if you could look around inside them, or there were mini-games you could play in them or whatever.
  • I wish there were a few more radio stations and/or more songs on each station. Even though there's a fair amount, if you get into the game you soon notice the repetition of songs. A minor point, but it would be nice if you could unlock uncensored versions of the songs too, assuming you're using an adult gamertag.
I'm loving it though. There is so much variety and so much to do. I've played for 23 hours, 52 minutes and I feel like I've done hardly anything!

Chiggs

That triple spin shit is enough to make me empty my bank account and fork over the cash for more spins. Thank God they don’t sell them on the store. Or do they?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So I'm not alone. The only races which I struggle with on unbeatable are cross country races.

Same here. The AI all seem to have awesome 4x4s that stick to the mud like glue whereas I might as well be driving a beast rear wheel drive only car even though I’m also supposedly in a 4x4...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You are god damn delusional. Didn't i said : wait for NPD results for October? Yes i did!

Btw. also there were shortages of Pro last month in US and Spidey pushed bunch of consoles in UK. Read this thread before making any statement :

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/mont...kes-the-crown-but-spider-man-is-the-real-king

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps4-pro-shortages-in-the-us.1465878/ or ESPECIALLY this link ( Check the history and you'll see that Spider-man bundles are sold-out ) :

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

why are you still in a Forza thread bleating about Spiderman? weren't you warned about this?

TitanNut88

I am enjoying the game but finding it a little bit too easy. I don't mean wining races, just clearing the game. Too much money as prizes, too many free cars. I don't know....

This is, though, the only issue I have with it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Was i the first one who mentioned Spider-man in this thread? Guess what - I DIDN'T NOT! Turn to them. Bye!

Your constant negativity in this thread is just silly, when ever something good comes out on xbox PS4 fanboys always have to derail the thread. you have been in here posting negative comments from day one, I refer to your "finally something good on PC/xbox" comment. this isn't the thread for you, if you want to post about how awesome Spiderman is do it in the Spiderman thread. yes Spiderman is a good game we get that but so is this game. you know you can have 2 good games out on different consoles at the same time don't you?

Your constant negativity in this thread is just silly, when ever something good comes out on xbox PS4 fanboys always have to derail the thread. you have been in here posting negative comments from day one, I refer to your "finally something good on PC/xbox" comment.

Oh, didn't knew that "finally something good on PC/Xbox" means negative. Thank you for enlighten me up. Yeah, yeah. PS4 fanboys always....and look at the last page how some, with your dictionary, excuse me - Xbone fanboys are delusional about some things and they needed some correction.

Like i said, Phil : Was i the first one who mentioned Spider-man in this thread? Guess what - I DIDN'T NOT! Turn to them. Bye!

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Move the spider man discussion to another thread please

As mentioned above, this request is now extended to avoid persistent derails. If you have personal arguments/debates take them to PM please.

Any further derails, console feud or platform shitting will earn a reply ban.

mcmanic

only real bad thing that i find with the game is the constant upgrading of perks for every single car in the game. Very tedious.

It's a great game but I think they need to slow down a bit, come back with more significant upgrades/features but it's kind of hard for racing titles to be drastically different each time. That's why they fall in the sports category. Forza 8 is apparently taking a breather as they continue to focus on Forza 7, so maybe Horizon 5 should be 3 years out, not 2.

J-Roderton

Adventure is pretty fun so far. Just wish I could skip all of the post-race nonsense with people dancing and stuff.

Dibils2k

I'm about half way through the Winter section. I'm not sure if I'm going to play more.

Pros:
  • Good open world graphics and performance
  • 60fps option (I'm on X)
  • Good selection of cars
  • Season are a good addition
  • Houses are nice
Cons:
  • Same game as FH2 and FH3, almost nothing new of significance.
  • The world can be boring to drive in, towns are empty, field after field can sem lifeless.
  • Driving model still sluggish, 60fps did not help.
  • Driving festival is still annoying as is the music.
  • The races are all just point to point, no real variety outside of the occasional stuntman stuff.
  • Cars don't matter, pick a car and you can win just about every race with it. They auto fill the competitors with the same cars. What is the point of unlocking cars or tuning?
  • No use of vertical space. There are rarely jumps or ramps or anything to get airborne with. I want to drive off roof top!
  • Same cars as the last two games, why do I want to keep unlocking the same cars over and over?
  • The avatars, emotes and clothes are really dumb.
  • Towns feel lifeless. Edenborough had six people and no cars.
  • Some stuff like houses are really expensive and seem to pushing microtransactions - why not have a boss race to win houses?

Fundamentally I want FH series to be a better racing game. Either for more realistic or go more bombastic. Either let me pick a road car and force me to drive well on the road, punish me if I take a Lambo onto a field or if I pick a 4x4 let me take short cuts to keep up with the sports cars on roads. This would take a lot more thought on the part of the people designing the races, but right now they are completely lazy. They just went into an editor and put flags down making all the same cars drive to the same points and call it a race. Green flag to green flag. No variation or imagination.

Otherwise go full crazy town and give me nitro and big ramps and let me wreck the cars. Right now I can drive 200mph into a house and bounce off and keep driving. I understand they can't upset their licence deal with manufactures, but it sucks.

What I really want is a car-RPG. Make it so races have fixed competitors and make me unlock or tune a car to get better stats or drive better, but don't auto level everything, it makes the first race feel the sale as the race in hour 40. I want to start in a Civic and work my way up. Have different classes of races, but don't let the driver pick any car for any race, it all feels the same. Make me work my way up street races, offroad races, etc. with different classes of vehicles. I want that new Lambo that I earned to be meaningful. Right now you unlock cars randomly and they are meaningless. Fast cars do nothing other than make fast competitors. The sense of progression is nothing more than a collectathon. More levels, more spins, more cars, clothes, emotes, perks, etc. But problem is they don't matter. The races never change, they never get harder, there is no sense of getting "more powerful" either via skill or cars.

In the end it's not a bad game, it's just not the game I want it to be. We have three almost identical games in the Horizen series in one gen and they should evolve more. But maybe they don't need to, reviewers and players don't seem to care.
I wouldnt argue that there isnt enough new stuff but once you get through the seasons then the game starts. this is when Forzathon live events and different Story mode events start being introduced. Along with season specific Events

I would say play until you are in the actual game but those things may still not be enough variety.

iJudged

Banned
Reading through this thread, some of you are pathetic. I don't know why you guys can't accept the fact that xbox actually has an amazing exclusive, it's not even an exclusive, it's just not on PS4, and where is the official review thread? This place is so infested with Sony fans in particular its sickening, and then you guys wonder why is gaf dying? I am out of here.

MODS...this is my request, I am asking you to delete my account.

Thank you.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
It's amazing how many people are judging this based obviously on just the demo, or at most the seasons introduction - the game has barely even started. To echo the poster above, where is the official thread?

LostDonkey

Reading through this thread, some of you are pathetic. I don't know why you guys can't accept the fact that xbox actually has an amazing exclusive, it's not even an exclusive, it's just not on PS4, and where is the official review thread? This place is so infested with Sony fans in particular its sickening, and then you guys wonder why is gaf dying? I am out of here.

Thank you.

I guess everybodies too busy playing the game to bother making a thread.

Dont leave. Stay. Theres still a good community here you just have to let the fanboys over your head.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Thank you.

There are indeed a few dismissive Sony fans on gaf (the part of gaf that didn't change during the purge..). But come on, in the big picture it doesn't really matter that much does it. "Just" don't let it get to you.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
There are indeed a few dismissive Sony fans on gaf (the part of gaf that didn't change during the purge..). But come on, in the big picture it doesn't really matter that much does it. "Just" don't let it get to you.

I think where ever you go its the same, both sides have bitter people. Gaf can be funny sometimes with console wars, i dont mind it sometimes.

Anyway back on topic , how many showcase events are there in this one? I think the boards you smash has been upped as i cant remember there being this many in the last couple of games

So I just got past first few seasons, which opened up the halo showcase and now put me into a shared world with other racers, and now the game is coming alive. With the seasons changing weekly, seeing other drivers show up consistently, and doing live events, this is when the game really comes together!

Check out these shots I took on the X! Came out amazing I must say!
k08CEBV.jpg

ysfyeNl.jpg

9meGinv.jpg

GD8rLnv.jpg

vbpDhas.jpg

7ztzBvJ.jpg

xnQfZrl.jpg

Catphish

In Rivals, there's a road race that runs the entire perimeter of the map. Can that be unlocked for regular play? If so, how?

drotahorror

Getting sick of what seems to be the same 6 songs on each radio channel now.

I'm sick of songs popping up before a race and after a race when I have the radio turned off. Like when you're on the screen where you see your character and it's setting up the race and the victory screen.

Last edited:
You don't even need to be picky in this game to get a good shot, just randomly open the camera and you can usually find a few nice angles. I really wish the drone and camera could go higher up without needing to trick them, there have been a half dozen shots I've wanted to take that I couldn't thanks to the flight ceiling being so low.

WMOxzGw.jpg

4cdc1KD.jpg

Y2aWlLi.jpg

kRBt2jd.jpg

Anyone else finding the cross country races impossible?

I made a change to the analog trigger curves in the controller settings so I'm not spinning the tires all the time on the mud/grass and seem to be getting better traction around the corners. My first half is gradual and the last half increases much more rapidly. The trick with the cross country stuff is to plan your turns to be very sweeping. If a tight turn is coming up I'll leave the track on the opposite side so the tight corner is now a gradual one if the checkpoints allow for it. The AI doesn't tend to leave the track so they'll lose a lot more speed making the turn than you do which you can keep going to the next turn. I find as soon as I start sliding badly in a corner I've probably already lost enough ground and restart, you really have to keep on top of corrective steering inputs to keep everything in line. Getting sideways in the game can feel quick but if I stay planted I tend to do much better. I find using a FWD car helps a lot too, as long as you're on the throttle even a small amount, the back end won't step out and you can keep a line without sliding. Of course too much throttle on a front driver will lead the car off the track in a straight line but it's easy enough to catch if you are paying attention to your inputs.

JCK75

Got it at launch and forgot to play it, only just now gave it a go.
Damn it's so good, can't believe how well it runs on PC, I'm at work so I'm using my old gaming PC which only has a GTX 970 and an a third generation i5 and it's smooth as butter.

I made a change to the analog trigger curves in the controller settings so I'm not spinning the tires all the time on the mud/grass and seem to be getting better traction around the corners. My first half is gradual and the last half increases much more rapidly. The trick with the cross country stuff is to plan your turns to be very sweeping. If a tight turn is coming up I'll leave the track on the opposite side so the tight corner is now a gradual one if the checkpoints allow for it. The AI doesn't tend to leave the track so they'll lose a lot more speed making the turn than you do which you can keep going to the next turn. I find as soon as I start sliding badly in a corner I've probably already lost enough ground and restart, you really have to keep on top of corrective steering inputs to keep everything in line. Getting sideways in the game can feel quick but if I stay planted I tend to do much better. I find using a FWD car helps a lot too, as long as you're on the throttle even a small amount, the back end won't step out and you can keep a line without sliding. Of course too much throttle on a front driver will lead the car off the track in a straight line but it's easy enough to catch if you are paying attention to your inputs.
That sounds like an idea. I bought the Ariel Nomad thinking the sheer speed would see me through but it's like racing on black ice. I'm all over the place.

Unrelated, but I wish people would quit bitching about there not being an official thread. START ONE. It's not down to everyone but you to do it.

Breakage

Had flick through the latest EDGE today (I didn't buy it).
They gave it a 9. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom