• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX: 10th season of 24 tentatively planned for 2016; sans-Bauer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

A pitch for another limited-series installment of the “24” franchise on Fox envisions a storyline that would revolve around supporting characters and not feature Sutherland’s intrepid covert op Jack Bauer.

The talk of more “24” came up Saturday during the exec Q&A session at Fox’s portion of the Television Critics Assn. press tour in Pasadena. The session marked the TCA debut for Gary Newman and Dana Walden, the longtime 20th Century Fox TV chiefs who took on oversight of Fox Broadcasting in July amid a shakeup at the network.

Newman and Walden cautioned that there is no deal and no plans are set in stone for more “24.” But a Bauer-free pitch for a new installment — following on the 12-episode limited series “24: Live Another Day” that aired on Fox this past summer — came recently from series stewards Howard Gordon, Evan Katz and Manny Coto. It’s tentatively targeted for 2016.

“We have great characters and that great creative team,” Walden said. She noted that it would be a one-time effort to experiment with highlighting supporting players, and she assured that the Jack Bauer character would remain the center of the show over the long haul. Sutherland is aware of the possibility and supportive, she added.

Source: Variety

24_yvonne_strahovski.jpg

I'm OK with this.

dabig2

Please give me a Tony/Kate team-up. Pleeeeeease. With Aaron Pierce as backup muscle and Chloe of course providing support.

Cardon

As a 24 fan I'm fine with this. Makes sense at this point, and there are still other characters that can come into play to make up for the absence of the God that is Jack Bauer.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Love the idea. Would be a fresh take on 24. Has to be with a character the fans will love though.

Bring on the Almeida Power Hour!

Kaladin

So they're actually going to do a season of the support characters trying to rescue Jack for a change?

It's about time.

hitme

Well... (end of season 9 spoilers incoming)

Jack is in Russian prison so this would make sense.

Bread

Banned
If the point of the season is so they can save Jack from the Russians, then hell yes. If he's really not going to be involved at all, fuck that. Jack Bauer is 24!

bndadm

Where's the Agent Pierce show.

This man right here. Pierce was an Agent of Shield before there was a Shield.

It's simple - a spin-off where Aaron Pierce runs a private security company. You get the teamwork cast like you would a CTU, but you take away some of the resources and make it a damn challenge. Goes from simple job to HOLY GOD THE WORLD IT BURNS in 12 episodes.

Seriously though, I think the format and structure could support a non-Bauer spin-off or "gap filler".

Tugatrix

Imagine a dream team composed of:

Tony
Belcheck
Chloe
Kate Morgan

To go to
Russia
rescue Jack, awesomeness would be ensured

bndadm

Now that I've ready the posts, I echo everyone else's sentiment. If the spin-off builds off of last season, then that would be great.

It'd be the season 5 follow-up we never got, but over at least half a season.

Live Another Day I thought was impressive in that it built up some nice new characters (sans CIA guy that clashed with Kate. His character never changed). I would like more of them.

But if Tony comes back, his first scene better be him drinking from that Cubby mug.

Dalek

I'm ok with this. Originally the premise of 24 was going to involve a new storyline and new characters every year, similar to American Horror Story. I believe it wasn't until the first series was underway that they decided to make it an ongoing storyline. They could make a new lead character in the "CTU" world, or explore a new genre sans-terrorism altogether while retaining the "real-time" framing.

Rich!

Imagine a dream team composed of:

Tony
Belcheck
Chloe
Kate Morgan

To go to
Russia
rescue Jack, awesomeness would be ensured

That is EXACTLY what is going to happen. Why on earth else would they have shown us Tony escaping prison?! Because hes gonna save Jack in S10!

No true fan of 24 would be opposed to the above idea. I refuse to believe it!

DieH@rd

Banned
I am all for this. Make it great with supporting characters trying to free Bauer who is captured by the
Russians.

Tugatrix

Now that I've ready the posts, I echo everyone else's sentiment. If the spin-off builds off of last season, then that would be great.

It'd be the season 5 follow-up we never got, but over at least half a season.

Live Another Day I thought was impressive in that it built up some nice new characters (sans CIA guy that clashed with Kate. His character never changed). I would like more of them.

But if Tony comes back, his first scene better be him drinking from that Cubby mug.

Tony+Almeida_mug2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom