• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
About time. Glad to see it's at least as severe as some minor amount of jail time not that I think it will dissuade her from continued discrimination

I don't think it matters what they think. I think what really matters here is that anyone who is expected to carry out and implement the law will be jailed for that kind of thinking, if they put it into action. BAM

Nyoro SF

I would've preferred a fine or a stripping of duties than jail time.

With jail time she becomes a political martyr, much more annoying.

riotous

Banned

Holy shit at that "Article"...

She once lived for the devil, but now she lives for God. She’s a sinner saved by grace.

Davis did not seek the national spotlight. She had no intention of becoming a spokeswoman for religious liberty, and she bristles at the idea that she is a hero of the faith.

Those are the article authors words.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Bye Felicia.

h03OAB5.gif
h03OAB5.gif

h03OAB5.gif
h03OAB5.gif

You know what's sad? I don't actually wish her any ill will. I wish that she did actually have space in her heart to simply let people that love each other get married. I pity her, but not because she's going to jail.

I pity her because she has seriously lost her way. It's not in human nature to be so full of a certain hate that you want other people to not be happy just because they're a little different than you.

Good riddance to her, nevertheless.

I would've preferred a fine or a stripping of duties than jail time.

With jail time she becomes a political martyr, much more annoying.

She's a martyr anyway. This is the only response that the public couldn't have undermined: fining her is worthless when people will crowdfund her payment, and stripping her of duties is useless when the electorate could quite likely support another clerk who'd follow in her footsteps.

Amir0x

Banned
Exclusive. Just conducted an interview with Cecil Watkins, the Rowan County Attorney.

Watkins (who to my knowledge) hasn't given any interviews. Watkins indicates that Kim Davis "does not represent" Rowan County and is not representative of its inclusive values.

From Day One, Watkins told David I "will not and cannot support" you in her defiance of the law. Not only that he was clear he would not represent her as the law in the case of same sex marriage is clear. While he has no stance on same sex marriage, well-established federal law must be followed.

Watkins wanted to emphasize several other things.

First that everyone who works at the courthouse has endured cursing as they enter the building. And it's not just at her office. Everyone in the courthouse is scared to come to work.

Second that Liberty Counsel will leave Kim Davis high and dry when this charade is over. Watkins thinks the funds they raise off the case should go to Rowan County.

Finally and most importantly he has learned that deputy clerks would issue lawful marriage licenses. They are simply afraid to do so. And if Judge Bunning instructs them to do so . . . they will.

Davis has put, in the words of Watkins, her employees and everyone in the courthouse in a "terrible position."

Watkins, in his role as the County Attorney, will be in court tomorrow for the hearing at 11:00 in Ashland. He is pictured being sworn in.

Ed. Note - The takeaways from the Watkins interview are clear. Davis is acting alone in her zealous mission. Her conduct has terrorized not just her staff but everyone that works in the courthouse. And all for a foolish mission aided by out of state charlatan lawyers trying to raise money for their "religious liberty" mission.
Shannon Ragland

link

she is so alone it's fucking amazing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Watch her get a few million dollars and be impeached. She'll retire on a load of cash, be martyr, not have to work again in her life.

I don't think it matters what they think. I think what really matters here is that anyone who is expected to carry out and implement the law will be jailed for that kind of thinking, if they put it into action. BAM

That's a good way to think about it. Hopefully it does stop other such actions which I suppose is ultimately the goal of the punishment in the first place

The takeaways from the Watkins interview are clear. Davis is acting alone in her zealous mission. Her conduct has terrorized not just her staff but everyone that works in the courthouse

How self-entitled can you get?

so are they allowed to hold her indefinitely?

lawgaf how does this work?

are they bringing certain charges against her? how can she be removed? can she be sued by the couple she refused licenses to?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Watch her get a few million dollars and be impeached. She'll retire on a load of cash, be martyr, not have to work again in her life.
I don't care. She's religious. Let her live out her life as a sinner unaccepting of Christ as he savior. Sounds right for her.

Speaking as an attorney, contempt is a common penalty for open and persistent defiance of a court's order. I've seen it happen for far more innocuous behavior than this sort of callous and intractable hypocrisy. It's nice to see an exception was not made.

Grym

so are they allowed to hold her indefinitely?

lawgaf how does this work?

are they bringing certain charges against her? how can she be removed? can she be sued by the couple she refused licenses to?

I'm no lawyer but my understanding is that she has 2 options to get out of jail.

1) follow the law and comply with the judge's orders
2) get into a position where compliance is no longer necessary (resign or otherwise be removed from her office)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom