• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
giphy.gif

Paskil

She was a martyr the moment the federal court originally ordered her to issue licenses. I'm alright with this development. I hope it gets through to all the other holdout counties in Alabama, Texas, and the others.

I'm no lawyer but my understanding is that she has 2 options to get out of jail.

1) follow the law and comply with the judge's orders
2) get into a position where compliance is no longer necessary (resign or otherwise be removed from her office)

since she is an elected official I know she has to be impeached to be removed. there are grounds for a trial.

I'm just curious as to how she can be jailed without any specific charges being brought forward and how long she can be held. Until her term is up?

soleil

Banned
Yup, I don't give a fuck what happens to her whether good or bad, as long as gay people can get married in that county again it's all good with me.
Same. The fact that everyone can get married now is what's important. I don't care if she ends up miserable from the negative attention, or if conservatives donate to her and make her a millionaire and she lives the rest of her life rich and happy. Doesn't matter in my opinion. It's not about her.

I'm no lawyer but my understanding is that she has 2 options to get out of jail.

1) follow the law and comply with the judge's orders
2) get into a position where compliance is no longer necessary (resign or otherwise be removed from her office)

Right. As soon as she complies with the order or the situation changes enough so there's nothing left to comply with/she is actually unable to comply she will be released. It's allowed to be indefinite because, in practice, when she leaves is entirely up to her. She's free to comply at any time and that will set her free.

Grym

since she is an elected official I know she has to be impeached to be removed. there are grounds for a trial.

I'm just curious as to how she can be jailed without any specific charges being brought forward and how long she can be held. Until her term is up?

the charge is contempt of court

I know wikipedia...but...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_court#United_States said:
Sanctions for contempt may be criminal or civil. If a person is to be punished criminally, then the contempt must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but once the charge is proven, then punishment (such as a fine or, in more serious cases, imprisonment) is imposed unconditionally. The civil sanction for contempt (which is typically incarceration in the custody of the sheriff or similar court officer) is limited in its imposition for so long as the disobedience to the court's order continues: once the party complies with the court's order, the sanction is lifted. The imposed party is said to "hold the keys" to his or her own cell, thus conventional due process is not required. The burden of proof for civil contempt, however, is a preponderance of the evidence, and theoretically punitive sanctions (punishment) can only be imposed after due process but the due process is unpublished.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't wait for the Christian movie that dramatizes this hero's tale.

It'll be like bizarro Show Me a Hero.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol imagine if a character based on her appears in Orange is the New Black Season 4.

Flo_Evans

Not as a general rule, no. This has had interesting effects at times, such as enabling the public suicide of R. Budd Dwyer.

usually though a criminal conviction will kick off the impeachment process.

She hasn't been convicted of anything, just held in contempt.

Interfectum

I can't wait for the Christian movie that dramatizes this hero's tale.

Judge: "I hold you in contempt!"

Hero: "I hold this entire country in contempt! You can arrest me, you can sentence me to death, but you will never stop God's word! Ever!"

Judge: "Bailiff, take this Christain away. And get Obama on the phone, I need to tell him his plan is progressing perfectly."

Good. You signed up to uphold the law so when the highest court in the land tells you this is how the law is interpreted, you damn well better listen.

Oh, gosh. Couldn't the judge use judiciary discretion to just have her suspended from her job, instead of turning her into a martyr for conservatives? I can't wait till "this poor woman" becomes the next Joe the Plumber at the GOP debates...

B33

Banned
What I find insufferable is that every argument justifying Kim Davis's actions boils down to maintaining a "good conscience."

What is it that you're really doing? You've devoted yourself to a belief system that promises a conveniently vague paradise of "eternal life and peace" in heaven in lieu of an eternity of "damnation" in hell.

It's a classic reward system. Follow this antiquated set of rules and place your faith in a mercurial, capricious, malevolent, apparently loving, and supposedly just, paradoxical supreme being (depending on the text) in order to receive a reward.

Never mind the logical fallacies littered throughout, overwhelming scientific evidence that counters things that apparently happened per a text that's been passed around and reinterpreted a seemingly countless number of times, and the parables full of structures and character archetypes from the mythologies of other cultures that are obviously not meant to be taken literally.

Everything I've read in favor of Davis uses the Just-World Fallacy and Cherry Picking as the basis of its argument.

Bigotry is bigotry. You've the right to believe in whatever you choose, but you don't have the right to violate the rights of others.

I attended various Baptist churches in my youth and have extensively read The Bible (or rather several of the many versions of it). I don't dislike religion and the people who choose to believe in it, but I do dislike what it tends to engender: sanctimony, hypocrisy, bigotry, and officiousness.

The law is the law and it must be followed. Davis has no ground to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom