• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf audiophiles, recommend me a ps5 headset!

Now that I finally have one of the damn things, I don't wanna use my crappy TV speakers or soundbar. I want to experience maximum creepiness in the Tower of Latria.

I popped on Amazon to order some, and there are a fuckin lot of these things. While I feel reasonably confident by most electronic purchases, I know jack shit about audio. The last "stereo" I owned was a fuggin boom box straight outta the 80's.

Things I'm looking for in no particular order.

Price, I don't want to spend too much consider the ceiling $300, but I'd realistically like to spend around half that. I don't mind paying a premium FOR a premium experience though.
Don't really care about mic or mic quality as I rarely play multiplayer stuff, I'm much more concerned with getting crisp,.loud sound with good bass.
Wireless.
Comfy! I won't wear this thing for Issac and Spire dailies, it'll be for long rpg/souls sessions.

Please, enlighten this wretched soul.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've heard the Steel Series Arctis 7p is pretty good and well below your budget.

I don't have one though (I have the official headset which is great) so it is just word of mouth.

jaysius

Banned
Get some Bose quiet comfort earbuds. They are like almost a hundred dollars off on their website this week. They sound amazing and you can use them for more than just gaming. Best in class noise cancellation. I have had mine about six months and I love them...
Bose isn’t audiophile quality. I recently researched headphones myself, although Bose might sound good, it’s not audiophile quality because of many factors.

I didn’t want to spend a ton so I ended up going for the Phillips x2hr which are described as fun headphones with a wide sound stage and good low bass response, but doesn’t have super accurate locational footsteps if you‘re a competitive FPS player.

These are cheap too, originally around $300 usd now can be gotten for $150 or much lower.

Get some Bose quiet comfort earbuds. They are like almost a hundred dollars off on their website this week. They sound amazing and you can use them for more than just gaming. Best in class noise cancellation. I have had mine about six months and I love them...

I've got a decent set of buds for my phone, I want some cans for MAXIMUM IMMERSION.

Pair it with an amp and (potentially) a DAC.

lmao, I had to Google what a DAC even is. I definitely want something wireless and idiot proof that just links directly with the ps5.

Gargauth

Guy asks for audiophile products, gets recommended Gaming products instead...SMH

Anyway OP - striclty headset (with mic?). Most comfortable headphones period are Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. It's open-back headphones, which is partially why they are so comfortable. They sound amazing, better than they have right to sound in its price range :D There are multiple variants with various resistance. I personally own the 250Ohm variant. Even the Dualsense can drive them reasonably well, but of course it's much better if you drive them through proper amp.

If you aren't in noisy environment, I really recommend getting open-back headphones instead of closed. Not only they sound better (wider soundstage, better positional awareness), they are just much more comfortable. Better during heat (ventilation), no pressure on your eardrum, which for some people makes wearing such headphones fatiguing.

Come back later and tell me I'm wrong! I dare you!

YdUjZgx.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That sucks, I sit like 8 feet back from my tv/ps5.

*sighs*

How decent are the bluetooth/wireless alternatives?
I doubt you really need audiophile quality. If wireless is the primary function you are looking for, I would go with the Sony pulse headset or whatever their first party one is.

If audio quality is important, with your budget I would go for the 990s and pair it with a small amp. This doubles functionality as a killer first set of cans for music listening. Note the 990s are open back, meaning everyone around you can hear what you hear and likewise, you can hear external noises. There is a model that is closed back (DT 770).

I would love to have a pair of these :messenger_loudly_crying:

Dude atleast recommend dynamic driver for gaming.

He will have his neck reduced by an inch after a marathon gaming session due to weight of that thing. Not to mention the price tag.

I have EL8, even those I can't wear for gaming in a stress free manner.

I'm giving a pair to a close friend of mine. 2021 and 2020 version

There are planar magnetics in the range of 300, like the sundaras or he-500s

rKF8PqO.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can you recommend a usb dac that works with xbox consoles?

I have a chord mojo but can't get it to work with my series s.

I plan to drive Sennheiser hd700 with it.
Holy hell. Chord Mojo is no joke. I am surprised the Mojo doesn't work.

I'm not sure for a good DAC w/ Xbox as I never use headphones on my consoles (everything is routed through my Marantz receiver). My recommendation for the OP was going to be a cheap $100 DAC/amp combo to help with budget :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
Can you recommend a usb dac that works with xbox consoles?

I have a chord mojo but can't get it to work with my series s.

I plan to drive Sennheiser hd700 with it.

Pretty sure you have to use officially licensed products with Xbox. So there is something like this:

But probably not as good as what you are used to.

My mind is blown. That is a terrible user experience if true.

A quick Google search shows this might be true.

I might pick something like this to split audio from hdmi signal and convert into optical

Topher

Gold Member
Do most dac's not work with ps5 or Xbox? This really infuriates me, as audio is my LIFE

I've got an 12 year old USB to 3.5mm adapter that works fine with my PS5. It doesn't work with my XSS.

A quick Google search shows this might be true.

I might pick something like this to split audio from hdmi signal and convert into optical

Does your TV have optical output? Could always use that.

Last edited:
Today I learned that I know fuck all about audio stuff. If I buy a wired pair that jacks into the dualsense will it get better audio quality than a completely wireless option?

Topher

Gold Member
That's shitty, and I'm usually vouching for Xbox. You'd imagine Xbox consoles being more plug and play than Sony consoles, as Microsoft makes them. That's fucking shitty.

I was very disappointed as it severely limits sound options, as you are certainly aware. So you pretty much have to buy Xbox licensed headsets or by a bluetooth adapter like this:

I have been trying to find something that works with the USB port on the console but so far.....nothing. That would pretty much allow any product to work with it though and they clearly do not want that.

Would love it if someone could tell me I'm wrong about this....

Today I learned that I know fuck all about audio stuff. If I buy a wired pair that jacks into the dualsense will it get better audio quality than a completely wireless option?

No idea about dualsense, but audio coming out of xbox series controller is atrocious.

Makes me cry. It's tinny, lacking in real bass.

Can't imagine dual sense being all that different since it also uses bluetooth and battery life is higher priority.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
No idea about dualsense, but audio coming out of xbox series controller is atrocious.

Makes me cry. It's tinny, lacking in real bass.

Can't imagine dual sense being all that different since it also uses bluetooth and battery life is higher priority.
It is better than the DualShock 4 but still far from neutral in its frequency response.

Topher

Gold Member

That may depend on the headset you get. I have a pair of Sony WH-1000MX4 and they sound MUCH better across that Creative Labs bluetooth adapter that I linked than using the 3.5mm. But it only works with the 3.5mm jack when the headset is powered off. So the vast majority of the features of the headset such as noise cancelling don't work.

Last edited:

SAMZ

I need a new headset also. I dont think what im after exists yet unfortunately. I want wireless simultaneous dual audio.

Last gen i used astro a50's, optical got me game sound and usb got me pc sound/voice. Useful for discord/podcasts/youtube + PS4.

PS5 does not have a optical so im stuffed😑
No the hdmi optical splitter is not a solution.

Topher

Gold Member
I need a new headset also. I dont think what im after exists yet unfortunately. I want wireless simultaneous dual audio.

Last gen i used astro a50's, optical got me game sound and usb got me pc sound/voice. Useful for discord/podcasts/youtube + PS4.

PS5 does not have a optical so im stuffed😑
No the hdmi optical splitter is not a solution.

If my USB to 3.5 adapter works then wouldn't USB to optical?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSFBT82/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

All_Might

If you want Bluetooth I would recommend these here Sony. They are very comfortable and sound very good for Bluetooth headphones. Also the noice cancellation is pretty much best in class. Plus if you live in the us they are only 222$ Which is a good price.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If you want Bluetooth I would recommend these here Sony. They are very comfortable and sound very good for Bluetooth headphones. Also the noice cancellation is pretty much best in class. Plus if you live in the us they are only 222$ Which is a good price.

That's what I have. He will need a USB bluetooth adapter for them to work with PS5 though.

All_Might

That's what I have. He will need a USB bluetooth adapter for them to work with PS5 though.
Really ? That’s a shame, I am using different headphones with my ps5 but was thinking about getting them. That’s kind of an inconvenience that you need that dongle. Good to know thank you.

Topher

Gold Member
Really ? That’s a shame, I am using different headphones with my ps5 but was thinking about getting them. That’s kind of an inconvenience that you need that dongle. Good to know thank you.

The headset is really great though. And while it is an extra thing you have to buy, it works extremely well. I'm just glad USB audio out is an option for PS5.

All_Might

The headset is really great though. And while it is an extra thing you have to buy, it works extremely well. I'm just glad USB audio out is an option for PS5.
Well it’s a bit of a hassle but if they work great then I think I will pick them up in the coming months.

Top Bottom