• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Rogue Galaxy

Munin

Oh that is basically what I meant -I don't need to see actual *space* all the time, just the Star Warsy adventurous feeling of going to explore new worlds etc bla bla instead of putting you on a planet just coincidentally stuck in generic middles ages JRPG times for 90% of the game as SO3 does.

Rolf NB

Munin said:
I've been considering getting the game ever since its announcement for NA. The thing is, I might probably not be bothered too much by a stupid story or superficial characters, but I wonder, how is the atmosphere of the game? It looks like the sort of space opera thing that Star Ocean 3 promised but never delivered. So is it good in that department? Do I get the feeling I'm traveling around this awesome space world on awesome planets?
I think it definitely delivers on that.
There's a lot more planet-hopping than in Star Ocean 3. It's not all uber-sci-fi either, mind. Each planet loosely represents a different stage of civilization, one of them happens to be a jungle planet with people living in bamboo huts, but the environments change more often and more drastically, even within the context of a single planet. Star Ocean 3 was so sanitized and everything on the "main planet" felt so homogeneous, definitely in comparison.

I also like Rogue Galaxy's combat much more. Not to wail on the specifics yet again, but SO3 combat became purely an annoyance way early in the game to me (circa end of first trip to Ariglyph mines), and that never happened in Rogue Galaxy. It's no Devil May Cry, but it's good, fast fun.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, SO3 was a mess of a game. Exploration was fun, but the story, combat, and settings largely sucked ass, IMHO. It didn't even work well in a fantasy context, let alone a sci-fi one.

There's a nice cutscene early on in Rogue Galaxy that shows off the Rosa Nebula. It's damn pretty, like most of the cutscenes in the game. So far, good stuff. I'm enjoying it WAY more than Dark Cloud 2. It has the same kind of twitchy draw, but so far without nearly as much bullshit filler. And way better combat and customization systems to play with.

Dave Long

Banned
Hah! Toady is in Jeanne D'Arc too, IIRC!

I'm up to
saving Miri
now. I saved just before heading up the waterfall. I have the
freeze ray and got it fixed.

The froggy boss only took me one try.
It helped that I saw you guys mention the water. I noticed that being in it was a bad thing and that they had strategically placed some platforms in the water that you could fight from. I admit, I tried using the Monography gun, too but it had no effect on the boss.

It took me a little while to figure out how to switch characters in the middle of a fight. I was like, "Why is that greyed out?!" and then I finally pushed right on the d-pad and pulled a "DOH!" I had even looked in the book to no avail and thought maybe you could only switch outside a fight. That's obviously not true.

The story is pretty ham-handed at times, but the translation seems pretty solid. The dialogue is reasonably well-written given some of the kooks you run into in the jungle. I do think that this part is dragging on maybe a hair too long now, but we'll see how long it takes me to finish off this particular plot.

After I was done tonight, I left it at the menu screen for a little bit. Be careful if you don't want to see any spoilers because there's a montage of footage from the entire game that starts playing if you let it sit for awhile. With so many wacky characters yet to meet I didn't really feel it spoiled much, but that all depends on your perspective on spoilers.

Combat is still really awesome and my favorite part of the game. I like trying to figure out how to avoid damage while still dishing out gobs of it. Also, no load times make me so happy. I never get pulled out of the world even for a second. That's really cool and such a simple thing that does a world of good to increase my enjoyment of the game.

I was getting sleepy so it was time to call it a night. May not get too much time tomorrow night but will be back at it in earnest on Thursday I hope.

Mejilan

I'm as far as you, and also calling it a night. Problem is, I keep on reviewing my Frog Log and my OCD starts kicking in. Also, most annoyingly, sometimes I'll fuse the two weapons specified in my Frog Log and get what's apparently an oddball result that does NOT get logged in the Frog Log, leaving the entry I was trying to fill, incomplete. Not pleased about that at ALL, as I lost some weapons I haven't been able to replace that way, and thus haven't been able to re-attempt that particular combination! :/

Dave Long

Banned
I didn't really look in the Frog Log until after I'd put together some of the stuff I had on me. I fused Steve Blum's swords and then levelled up the Shuriken Deux to fuse it with the electric Shuriken. Also took Jaster's gun that paralyzes and combined that with the first gun you start with. Of course you get one of his swords done as the first thing the frog eats. Oh, and I merged the upgraded weapon you can buy from one of the Shops for Kisala with a Pirate's Cutlass I think.

I basically fight the OCD all the time in these games anymore because it takes a lot of the fun out of it. Rather than try really hard to make sure I'm all uber, I just roll with the flow. Fire Emblem broke me of that because it was a lot more fun to just roll with it when someone died in that game. I also figure in any game where the combat is action oriented that I can probably make up for some weapon deficiencies by simply waggling the stick a little better. So far that's been the case, too. Those Gorilla enemies and the snails you fight in the jungle can be sidestepped when they do the roll attacks. Stuff like that.

The red spiders were a bit of a pain at first, but once I fused weapons, they go down much faster. I use either the sword or the gun with Jaster until the bar is nearly depleted and then switch to the other one. I love that the gun eventually gets strong enough to blast enemies dead with just a couple shots. Bees are like gnats to me, now. The party commenting on how easy those fights are is a really nice touch, too. "Why did they bother jumping us anyway?" Oh! That reminds me! When a battle ends? You don't even have to wait for the rewards screen to disappear before you continue on your way. You're in control again as soon as everyone flips their sword in the air and catches it. Another really cool little thing that makes this game just that little bit better than a lot of games like it.

The bigger thing I saw with fusing is that you seem to lose some effects from the weapons. So if you really like that you're paralyzing or setting stuff on fire, be careful what you wish for when you fuse it with something else. You might get a much higher power stat, but lose the special abilities. At least, they're not showing in the description anymore...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I liked RG, but I thought the difficulty balance was out of control during certain story event. I remember going back to the <insert place here> and fighting that <insert villain here> in the <insert location here>, he/she/it wiped me out in 3 seconds literally. Just remember to keep a finger on the menu button during boss fights so you can use potions in a pinch. Other than that, it was pretty good.

I actually do not know how to do spoiler tags, usually try to be intentionally vague so i wouldn have to. Sorry about that.

Dave Long

Banned
truly101 said:
I liked RG, but I thought the difficulty balance was out of control
during your second trip through the worlds. I remember going back to the jungle planet and fighting that witch in the ancient ruin, she wiped me out in 3 seconds literally.
Just remember to keep a finger on the menu button during boss fights so you can use potions in a pinch. Other than that, it was pretty good.
Hey now, watch the spoilers. We're playing this for the first time here.

Mejilan

Except for the interface. It's just so obtuse and unwieldy. They should seriously have at least implemented different glowing colors for items that cannot be analyzed/combined, those that can be analzyed/combined, and those that have already been analyzed. Or, you know, just have given Toady his own set of menus, that he (and we) so richly deserve!

Man, I've been trying to play this awesome RPG for months now. I actually played it last November but I had to stop because of college and all that. I'm still at Zerard, going after that hacker dude.

Dave Long

Banned
I've been too busy to play anything, but I hope to get back at it for at least a little bit tonight. I really do dig the game so far.

Dave Long

Banned
Looks like it's just me now. :(

I finally was able to get back to the game for a couple hours last night. I
froze the waterfall
and took on the next boss. It was really tight but I managed to finish it off in one try. Unfortunately, I left my bug catching thing on Juraika because I forgot to go pick it up before the boss fight and the game gave me no means to go back and get it before moving on to the next world.

I pressed on from there and I'm now in the next dungeon. I actually like the design where dungeons are sort of clearly delineated portions of the game followed by a bit of exploration/exposition/re-equipping. It's almost like an action-RPG dungeon crawl of sorts.

Still snickering at the blatant Final Fantasy X cribbing they do, but because I really enjoyed that game, I really enjoy this one. They clearly spent a lot of time building these worlds and populating them with neat things to see. The character designs are slick as well. Looking forward to my next opportunity to play. I had to turn on Duke/UNC last night or I would have gone further than starting the next
(prison)
dungeon.

Mejilan

Yeah, sorry, but I bailed out on this game. It just devolved to the usual Level 5 grind for me. Putting over 100 hours into Dark Cloud 2 really destroyed my tolerance for this kind of thing.

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
Mejilan said:
Yeah, sorry, but I bailed out on this game. It just devolved to the usual Level 5 grind for me. Putting over 100 hours into Dark Cloud 2 really destroyed my tolerance for this kind of thing.

I am one of the few people this gen (On EARTH) who prefer long, drawn out games, more specifically RPGs. After, (or was it before?) DQVIII, I grew to love Level 5's distinct way of crafting an RPG, seemingly archaic as it may be. I'm also one of the few people who put story in front of gameplay. As such, Rogue Galaxy was most definitely my cup o' tea. Even still, this game dragged on like a dying horse, the god damn game refused to die.

Interesting cast of characters though and the game itself is the very definition of epic.

Mejilan

I can play these kinds of games ad nauseum on a handheld. But not on a console. Not any more.

I just picked this up used. Eager to give it a try, though I normally don't like ARPGs. I loved the style/feel of DQVIII, and the environment/sphere grid of FFX. That coupled with the smattering of praise I've seen, hopefully RG will keep my interest. Though I still have to get through Eternal Sonata on PS3...

I am thinking of buying this PAL verison. I really don't know what to make. The Japanese reviews were good. Western reviews, below average. GAF split, most people didn't like though. But the art style, as superficial as it sounds, is alluring. I typically haven't played many RPG's in my life, they seem too drawn out, and artificially prolonged. But its something I want to try. I do own a few, probably 20 or so RPG's, but have never played most. What do you guys think? Oh I am getting it for £10-£15 sealed. Not much.

Vorador

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
I am thinking of buying this PAL verison. I really don't know what to make. The Japanese reviews were good. Western reviews, below average. GAF split, most people didn't like though. But the art style, as superficial as it sounds, is alluring. I typically haven't played many RPG's in my life, they seem too drawn out, and artificially prolonged. But its something I want to try. I do own a few, probably 20 or so RPG's, but have never played most. What do you guys think? Oh I am getting it for £10-£15 sealed. Not much.

It's fun, and there's a ton of stuff to do. But the gameplay gets stale after a while. I got around 10-15 hours and dropped it.

In light of the great announcement that Ninokuni is coming to the West, I realized that there's another interesting Level 5 game I've always meant to try. This is sort of to hold me over cause Xenoblade didn't make it to NA (although I do intend to play it when the price falls a bit), and to congratulate Level 5 for being awesome.

Just ordered it off Amazon for $30 (one of the reasons I never got it was cause the price never fell under $50 until now)

Top Bottom