• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GAMERGATE: The Threadening [Read the OP] -- #StopGamerGate2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

I had a ridiculously long commute home today (thanks, multiple accidents on 520 in Seattle!!), so I decided to reorganize, edit, and expand on my post.

[Fantastic summary here]

I feel like people are insisting there is a scenario where publishers are directly paying for coverage. The evidence of this appears to be that there are full-page ads for games, so clearly publishers are controlling the content.

Honestly, if Gamergate wanted to stand for ethics, they would pursue publishers' many, many problems. But it's not about that, because it's about journalism. But then it's not about that, either, because it's about women.

Wanted to pull these posts out specifically. Thanks dLMN8R for an excellent summary that let me get up to speed and thanks Alberto for putting into words a lot of what I've felt over the years regarding many of the hysterics about game journalism "ethics." It's always nice to read a rational perspective.

fallout

Instead, they got an out. Some idiot made a death threat, the hashtag became a joke, and now they are the reasonable ones defending against the crazies. IGN can continue plastering ads for a game they are gonna review all over their site, and if you challenge that, you must be one of those woman hating gamersgate people!
You know, I agree that it's problematic to have publishers being major advertisers for video game sites. Guess what, though? I can't find anyone in the movement talking about issues like that.

#GamerGate is a dumb name anyway; anyone with legitimate beefs with game journalism can come up with a better, non-tainted hashtag. Here are a couple dumb suggestions:

#Journalisnt
#PressReset
#EndClickbait

#GamerGate is a dumb name anyway; anyone with legitimate beefs with game journalism can come up with a better, non-tainted hashtag. Here are a couple dumb suggestions:

#Journalisnt
#PressReset
#EndClickbait

Those all suggest actual goals, which is completely opposed to the GamerGate ethos.

I wish I was joking.

Angry Fork

Seriously, under a stated goal of making game journalism more ethical how the hell does Sarkeesian even get roped in. She makes fucking youtube videos. Her biggest crimes are being a feminist and being popular.

I saw someone post a vid here a while back of her lying about being a long time gamer, I found that to be shady. I don't like how anti-sex she seems to be also but that's about it, but obviously none of that has anything to do with journalist shit. She's entitled to her opinion, I don't know why there's so much rage when people can just not watch her vids. Do GG people think she (and who else?) is doing harm to the industry? If so how?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I kind of feel that Anita's videos would benefit from more examples of "this is how to do it right". It is both more instructive and helps to clarify the point. It also kind of helps to disarm some of the detractors and set people up for more positive attitude towards her videos, although I suspect this is largely a lost cause by now.
Hmmm the problem is that the best solution would be to "try to use a different trope." The issue isn't that they are using the trope wrong, it's that the trope is soooo overused. So I guess the answer would be to be more creative and don't fall back to low hanging fruit. She does offer some alternatives, though. In one of the damsel in distress videos, she offered her character concept of a female character that was captured, but ends up freeing herself. And in the women as background decoration, she referenced Papo & Yo as a way of handling abuse in a way that didn't seem to mostly leave the abused person out of the narrative. But even still, both of these examples are that of basically not using the trope in question, and doing something else.

The main feature Anita should probably have in her videos is the appearance of other women designers/writers/figureheads in the industry to give their own experiences. It would vary the perspectives given in the series and challenge the view some try to put forward that most other girls aren't bothered by what she talks about.

Unrelated thought:

How stupid is it that we suffix "-gate" on any scandal. Like, if Watergate happened today would we call it Watergategate? Burglarygate?

Ah.... are you joking?
The reason everything has the "gate" suffix stems from the fact Watergate happened. If Watergate never happened or if it happened in a different location it would get a totally new title.
If another Watergate were to occur I guess they would just title it Watergate 2: Now with More Scandal!

Brakke

Banned
Ah.... are you joking?

thejoke.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The main feature Anita should probably have in her videos is the appearance of other women designers/writers/figureheads in the industry to give their own experiences. It would vary the perspectives given in the series and challenge the view some try to put forward that most other girls aren't bothered by what she talks about.

Actually I'd like to see an entire different video series devoted exclusively to that.

Ah.... are you joking?
The reason everything has the "gate" suffix stems from the fact Watergate happened. If Watergate never happened or if it happened in a different location it would get a totally new title.
If another Watergate were to occur I guess they would just title it Watergate 2: Now with More Scandal!
I think one of the cracked "articles" on gamergate best expressed my view of the -gate suffix:
I'm a huge supporter of the #gamergate movement, because I'm sick to death of the "-gate" suffix, and after something this stupid no one will ever use it again. Journalists could be reporting on a hinged wrought-iron frame scandalously barring the way to a secret government interplanetary portal and they'll still refuse to use the term.
Stargate Gategate

I saw someone post a vid here a while back of her lying about being a long time gamer, I found that to be shady. I don't like how anti-sex she seems to be also but that's about it, but obviously none of that has anything to do with journalist shit. She's entitled to her opinion, I don't know why there's so much rage when people can just not watch her vids. Do GG people think she (and who else?) is doing harm to the industry? If so how?
About the bolded: Huh?

SZips

People, or more specifically, those that are passionate about games, hate change. Maybe they see what she and others are doing as an attack on their one and only escape from reality. When someone they view as an "outsider" comes along and starts stirring things up a bit by trying to seek equality and change up the formula that they've become accustomed to for years, decades even, they get a little upset.

I'm not saying that is the case but I have seen it happen before. I ran (well, still do in a sense) a Counter-Strike fansite. After seeing countless players voice how upset they were at each and every patch that came out, I once joked that a patch could come out that would change a texture that had absolutely no impact on the game and people would still get mad. Within the next patch or two, a texture or a small bit of foliage in the back yard area was changed on (I believe) the Militia map for CSS and yes, people actually got upset about it.

People don't like change, even if the change is for the better or makes a whole hell of a lot of common sense. They're used to things, they're used to how things were and have a really hard time adjusting to any variance. I kind of see this whole thing as something similar. You have people saying that things need to be changed to promote equality, things that most decent human beings would agree are good things, but there is a stubborn group that will oppose those notions until the very bitter end. They see it as an attack on a constant in their life, gaming in this case. The only difference now is that these people aren't just complaining about a change in one game, they're complaining about a change to all of their games and the effect is magnified considerably.

But her videos focus on an academic study of specific tropes, not how people feel about them. Losing focus serves o purpose and would only dillute the substance of her work.

But her videos focus on an academic study of specific tropes, not how people feel about them. Losing focus serves o purpose and would only dillute the substance of her work.
I'm not seeing how an academic study of something can't source or interview other academics and figures involved in the same area, nor how it doing so would cause it to lose focus.

People, or more specifically, those that are passionate about games, hate change. Maybe they see what she and others are doing as an attack on their one and only escape from reality. When someone they view as an "outsider" comes along and starts stirring things up a bit by trying to seek equality and change up the formula that they've become accustomed to for years, decades even, they get a little upset.

I'm not saying that is the case but I have seen it happen before. I ran (well, still do in a sense) a Counter-Strike fansite. After seeing countless players voice how upset they were at each and every patch that came out, I once joked that a patch could come out that would change a texture that had absolutely no impact on the game and people would still get mad. Within the next patch or two, a texture or a small bit of foliage in the back yard area was changed on (I believe) the Militia map for CSS and yes, people actually got upset about it.

People don't like change, even if the change is for the better or makes a whole hell of a lot of common sense. They're used to things, they're used to how things were and have a really hard time adjusting to any variance. I kind of see this whole thing as something similar. You have people saying that things need to be changed to promote equality, things that most decent human beings would agree are good things, but there is a stubborn group that will oppose those notions until the very bitter end. They see it as an attack on a constant in their life, gaming in this case. The only difference now is that these people aren't just complaining about a change in one game, they're complaining about a change to all of their games and the effect is magnified considerably.

This is all relevant, but a lot - and I mean a lot - of it is just plain misogyny.

SmZA

This would all be moot if hers was only one of many serious cultural critiques available of the medium. Since she's basically all there is, she's expected to be all things to all people and that's not really fair. She should make the videos she wants to make.

And I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel 'she should include more of the positive examples' is partly an expression of status anxiety, or discomfort that the audience isn't being pandered to for once. There are so few good examples at the AAA level that giving more time to those would almost be intellectually dishonest.

meanspartan

I've heard a lot of people say they think Zoe Quinn is an awful person. Now it seems that you are definitely against the harassment that both she and others have suffered, but I was wondering why you feel comfortable judging her? Please don't take this as an attack, it's just odd to me. I mean, sure, from the one-sided story we've heard from her ex, she doesn't sound like the kind of girl I would want to date, but who knows? No one really knows what went down but the two of them, and really, it's no one's business.

Dont care about her private life. I care that she basically destroyed a gamejam then immediately started her own.

Dont care about her private life. I care that she basically destroyed a gamejam then immediately started her own.

What, so she walked into their offices and personally shut it down? She asked some questions about their policies, and their backers agreed with her. Not her fault in the slightest, no matter how much TFYC like throwing her under the bus to excuse their own managerial failings.

SZips

This is all relevant, but a lot - and I mean a lot - of it is just plain misogyny.

Well, yeah. I guess I wasn't too clear in all of that. But essentially yes, a lot of it is just people being misogynistic for the sake of being misogynistic. They were misogynistic before this and will continue to be misogynistic after this.

This whole thing was just an excuse for those people to stop holding back and somehow feel "safe" in voicing their personal beliefs now through social media. Pushing for equality in games strikes a chord with both the stubborn, the people that hate without reason, the bandwagon jumpers, and the misogynists (and whatever weird cross-over that goes on within those groups of people).

meanspartan

The fine young capitalists. The group who blamed her a ton of stuff they knew she didn't due in order to drive internet rage into funding their for profit project.

Im sorry, last I followed this in August, the consensus was that THEY were doxxed by Zoe Quinn. She was the clear "bad guy".

In the past month and a half, was it proven they were full of shit? If so, I am wrong and apologize for my ignorance.

dLMN8R

Im sorry, last I followed this in August, the consensus was that THEY were doxxed by Zoe Quinn. She was the clear "bad guy".

In the past month and a half, was it proven they were full of shit? If so, I am wrong and apologize for my ignorance.

Yes, it was unfortunately yet another debunked attack on her character to continue the narrative of bullshit to convince those on the periphery that Zoe must have done *something* wrong.

Just FYI, TFYC are not a charity. The money raised on IndieGogo goes into making the game, and 74% of any profits go to charity.

Corpekata

Banned

The things they accused her of were false. They claimed she DDOS their site on purpose, but later admitted it was simply the influx of traffic from the public discussion that overloaded their servers.

The things they accused her of were false. They claimed she DDOS their site on purpose, but later admitted it was simply the influx of traffic from the public discussion that overloaded their servers.

Pretty much. The idea that she directly DDOS'd them was basically without evidence from the start. If they had any, she would have been arrested for the cybercrime in question.

JC Sera

Its ok dude there is so much misinformation and shit flying in the air, its pretty easy to fall victim to it.
also Zoe is apparently now moderating this http://www.reddit.com/r/gamergate

Corpekata

Banned
Pretty much. The idea that she directly DDOS'd them was basically without evidence from the start. If they had any, she would have been arrested for the cybercrime in question.

Fairly certain they also recanted that. It was some random person, and they attributed it to Quinn because they thought they were in the same circles.

JackDT

The fine young capitalists. The group who blamed her a ton of stuff they knew she didn't due in order to drive internet rage into funding their for profit project.

To be fair to them, TFYC never specifically called themselves a charity in their own material: TFYC is Matt, the money donated goes to his company to be used in the production of a game, if the game makes a profit a percentage will go to a charity that will be decided by the donators (colon cancer 'to cure butthurt'), the game concept will come from a woman. That's perfectly fine: it's an indiegogo project for a game, with a potential charity bonus at the end.

I do think it is misleading that TFYC is very often referred to by everyone else as a 'charity for women' though. Your donation goes to Matt and Autobotika, and even the potential charity if they make a profit is colon cancer.

http://pixietalksgamergate.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/tfyc-questions/

Fairly certain they also recanted that. It was some random person, and they attributed it to Quinn because they thought they were in the same circles.

They have on the DDOS thing, but they still blame her for them not getting media attention (as if she controlled the industry) and such.

They have piss poor management, and can't accept blame for anything. It's quite sad, really.

When ever I think about corruption in gaming journalism I don't think of a game dev getting publicity from a journalist friend. I more so think of people posting selfies of themselves kissing PS4s at a Sony press event (just an example). Or when I'm looking at a review on a site that is covered in adds for the game i'm reading the review on. Also look at all the "swag" unboxings on youtube from people in the business that they get from the publishers. But on the other hand all this anti gamer stuff a lot of these sites put out kinda feels like a personal attack on me as i call my self a gamer.

meanspartan

When ever I think about corruption in gaming journalism I don't think of a game dev getting publicity from a journalist friend. I more so think of people posting selfies of themselves kissing PS4s at a Sony press event (just an example). Or when I'm looking at a review on a site that is covered in adds for the game i'm reading the review on. Also look at all the "swag" unboxings on youtube from people in the business that they get from the publishers. But on the other hand all this anti gamer stuff a lot of these sites put out kinda feels like a personal attack on me as i call my self a gamer.

Exactly what I was talkin bout before my Quinngnorance (heh) led to that sidetrack.

I dont really give a shit about gamergate, no matter how much I love the man they call Jayne. But ya, the industry and the journalists who cover it are too cozy.

Review events, swag, etc. Hell, Ryan McCaffrey offered to host Microsoft's E3 conference. In what other industry could journalists get away with that?

Paracelsus

When ever I think about corruption in gaming journalism I don't think of a game dev getting publicity from a journalist friend. I more so think of people posting selfies of themselves kissing PS4s at a Sony press event (just an example). Or when I'm looking at a review on a site that is covered in adds for the game i'm reading the review on. Also look at all the "swag" unboxings on youtube from people in the business from these publishers. But on the other hand all this anti gamer stuff a lot of these sites put out kinda feels like a personal attack on me as i call my self a gamer.

It's funny because you just reminded me of something that could be gamergate-relevant.

When ever I think about corruption in gaming journalism I don't think of a game dev getting publicity from a journalist friend. I more so think of people posting selfies of themselves kissing PS4s at a Sony press event (just an example). Or when I'm looking at a review on a site that is covered in adds for the game i'm reading the review on. Also look at all the "swag" unboxings on youtube from people in the business from these publishers. But on the other hand all this anti gamer stuff a lot of these sites put out kinda feels like a personal attack on me as i call my self a gamer.

Unless any of that leads to preferred treatment in reviews or quid pro quo for stuff, it's not an ethical violation. A gearhead website for cars would contain much of the same stuff. As would any enthusiast press.

Swag is just marketing. It doesn't directly lead to better scores, which seems to be what really matters in the end.

The 'anti-gamer' stuff shouldn't effect you if you aren't the vile, toxic, self-obsessed sort of 'gamer' the articles talk about. You know, the one you called you a "double N***** C** basket" or a 'stupid cheating F****t" for beating them in a round of halo.

(yes, thats actually happened. More times then I can count)

Those are the folks that are 'over' as the industry gets ever larger and the audience ever more diverse. The folks you see on 4/8 chan who acted all offended by that? Those are the toxic element, who, much like racists, hate people pointing out their crap to them.

It's weird, all of those things you mentioned mean absolutely nothing to me, and I really for the life of me can't figure out why anyone cares. Is it that you don't like seeing someone express enthusiasm for something you don't like? You don't like seeing someone excited for something you can't have? Why does the word "gamer" mean so much to you? Surely you do other things that are important to you, why build your identity as a gamer so much that you take it as a personal slight?

Exactly what I was talkin bout before my Quinngnorance (heh) led to that sidetrack.

I dont really give a shit about gamergate, no matter how much I love the man they call Jayne. But ya, the industry and the journalists who cover it are too cozy.

Review events, swag, etc. Hell, Ryan McCaffrey offered to host Microsoft's E3 conference. In what other industry could journalists get away with that?

The E3 conference thing? Legit conflict of interest, in a way. I agree journalists shouldn't do this, it gives a lack of objectivity.

Swag? Just a form of marketing, not the same as quid pro quo. Try to find a professional industry that DOESN'T have swag.

It's funny because you just reminded me of something that could be gamergate-relevant.
Though that was real rotten when that happened

Unless any of that leads to preferred treatment in reviews or quid pro quo for stuff, it's not an ethical violation. A gearhead website for cars would contain much of the same stuff. As would any enthusiast press.

Swag is just marketing. It doesn't directly lead to better scores, which seems to be what really matters in the end.

The 'anti-gamer' stuff shouldn't effect you if you aren't the vile, toxic, self-obsessed sort of 'gamer' the articles talk about. You know, the one you called you a "double N***** C** basket" or a 'stupid cheating F****t" for beating them in a round of halo.

(yes, thats actually happened. More times then I can count)

Those are the folks that are 'over' as the industry gets ever larger and the audience ever more diverse. The folks you see on 4/8 chan who acted all offended by that? Those are the toxic element, who, much like racists, hate people pointing out their crap to them.

But I do think it effects press and review scores but without me spending hours digging around in podcasts and twitter posts it's gonna be hard to prove my point.

It's weird, all of those things you mentioned mean absolutely nothing to me, and I really for the life of me can't figure out why anyone cares. Is it that you don't like seeing someone express enthusiasm for something you don't like? You don't like seeing someone excited for something you can't have? Why does the word "gamer" mean so much to you? Surely you do other things that are important to you, why build your identity as a gamer so much that you take it as a personal slight?

I mean on it's face I don't care about reviews or press as I don't really use the blogs in the first place nor do I trust the reviews they put out. And while I do like enthusiasm it's a little much to be posting pics of yourself kissing a plastic box. And sure a lot of other industries have the same issues as game journalism but isn't the whole counter argument to gamergate is games can be so much more? That people can use games to get through depression and other issues? Then why can't game journalism be more? Also not so much of a question of something I can't have but more so of crap I don't want, a plastic sword from a video game is not on my list of decor items. Asking why the word gamer means so much to me (or any other person) is kinda silly. I guess that's what makes me a gamer, when someone asks why I do for fun, my first answer is "I'm a gamer". Tons of people play games but not as many are entrenched in the hobby enough to call them selves gamer. Take any hobby and say "golfers are all assholes" now image if golf digest is saying that. Same point applies, many people play golf but few are golfers.

EDIT sorry for all the edits, i keep thinking of better ways to word my stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom