• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Giveaway (PC) - Helping DocSeuss

You can do it Doc, you're a great guy. Reading the OP and the fundraiser made me really want to support you and see you triumph over this challenge. So sad to hear about your experience with your boss. Hopefully you can find a new job.

I can't donate that much but I'll try to squeeze something for you.

I want Dark Souls II, but words and thoughts of support come first. :D

I would like Dark Souls 2, but even more I would like DocSeuss to get better and hopefully find a new job at a workplace where his boss isn't such a dishonest asshole.

I actually have a friend who just recently quit his job because he was working 2 to 6 hours overtime for over a year, though he's got really thick skin. Taking paid vacation for two months all the while looking for a new job.

What I'm trying to say is: Doc, just don't give up and apply for a new job.
Losing your job isn't the end of the world, although I can put myself in your position. You don't know what to do and that's only human, but don't forget that you've got a life to live and you have to do something to continue living it.
Not being able to work the job you wanted to can be frustrating but sadly you will (and have to) get used to it.

Keep your head up and forget the past. The future will thank you for it ;)

Tizoc

I don't want Dark Souls 2, thanks. The game is too much for me to ever beat ^^;
Did my part and offered some cash up to help Doc, things'll brighten up for you soon man!

LAA

I want Dark Souls 2!

Really feel for ya DocSeuss, would hate to be in that situation every day and really feel sad for you (Or anyone else who has to go through a similar situation for that matter). Must feel awful to feel your "lifes calling" is being denied to you too.

All I can hope is another life's calling awaits you soon and that life for you gets back on some good tracks.

I would like Dark Souls 2, please!

My thoughts are with Doc. You seem like a wonderful person who goes well above and beyond to be a kind person. That's important; not everyone is like that.

I want Dark Souls 2....

... but more-so I want to help any decent human being going through crap. Trust me, as a disabled guy, I know how easily life can go from feast to famine, and back. In every instance, for me, it has been the goodness of friends and family which helped me fight through tough stuff.

We're here for you man.

Donated.

Hugstable

Banned
I want Dark Souls 2.

But I also want to wish Doc Seuss the best of luck. I've been in that position in my life where everything just seemed to be going wrong especially with the very little money I had at the time. I hope everything gets better soon for you dude, and it's great to see that everyone has already donated over a 1000$. Just keep your head up!

Guesong

I want Dark Souls II.

DocSeuss, my situation is certainly not as dire as yours. However, now being unemployed myself, I hope we can each find the strength in our friends and families to get through this hard pass.

Dawg

The goal was set before Doc lost his job though :(
We probably won't change it but it's not like going beyond it doesn't help!

Awwww :( I've been in a similar situation (losing job) and his story hits home hard. I hope he'll get out of this stronger than before.

itxaka

Defeatist
I want Assassin's Creed IV.

Let's see if I got some money to spare for Doc, I love gaf in moments like this.

Edit: Put up 20$. Ill put another 20$ next month :D

Swarna

People like that are hateful in general. Usually it's because you've probably done one or two things that rubbed them the wrong way early on without you being aware of it but that's enough for them to be eternally pissed off with you and yearn for your misfortune. I've witnessed this like twice with two individuals (once I was the target and once it was someone else I knew). I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you because it happened to be your boss. The pain sounds like it sucks, man. I guess I'm lucky to not have any major health issues at the moment... I'll throw you my lunch money.

I want Dark Souls 2.

AJ_Wings

Don't want the game but I hope you pull through this Doc. Always liked your writing and especially your articles on Kotaku.

Banned
Best of luck man. This is bullshit and I would pursue a wrongful dismissal case against this bitch.

Mman235

I want Dark Souls 2, Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

I also want DocSeuss to get the help he needs to get out of his current nightmarish situation.

DocSeuss

Stress makes my health problems worse, so I woke up feeling awful. Was going to go back to bed. Remembered this was up. Clicked. Just about cried.

Doc, you are a good dude. My Steam brother. Use your little brother as motivation. Tough times pass.

And, of course, I want Dark Souls 2!

Yeah, my brother is my motivation in this case. My parents are in a tight spot, and because I have food stamps, and they're relying on a local food pantry for support, I'd volunteered to let two of my other younger siblings stay in my apartment during part of the summer, just to help take the burden off them for a while, as introduce my brothers to the school (they're both interested in art & design, like UI and stuff). The jobless thing threw me for a loop, but since you guys have so amazingly covered my rent and utilities, and I'm on food stamps, I'm able to help them out a bit.

So you guys haven't just kept me from going homeless, you've allowed me to extend a small kindness to my family.

I want Dark Souls II

Hey dude i hope you can make it. Been through some rough times but everything's fine now. Still one can't forget times like these. Good luck.

I hope, in the future, everything is working well for me, and I can be the guy helping other people out. What you guys have done for me guarantees that, in my future, I'll be paying it forward as often and as much as I can.

My total thoughts and Prayers are with you Doc, I've got a personal check I've got to get cashed Monday that I am def donating pronto. I hate to hear of any gaffer go through this kind of pain and suffering, not the least of which I always thought was a good person from all the lurking I used to do here. I do not need a game to do this for someone else but if it happens I'd be grateful. Please know Doc I truly pray these things change for you immediately. So I guess I should say "I want Dark Souls 2" but in the end the reward of helping someone is truly enough for me.

Being told I'm a "good person" really helps. When I'm at my sickest, I'm also at my most powerless, and hearing that I've had some kind of positive effect is just... it's really humbling and uplifting at the same time.

I don't really want Dark Souls II, but I will be sure to foist it upon a friend with a PC that can run it should that need to happen.

I expect your continued well-being to lead to many great discussions of the unique qualities of immersive sims in the future, you know. :)

I reaaaaally need to go make one at some point, but I don't have the programming expertise. So for now, pure shooters all the way.

I want Dark Souls II please!

I read your thread the other day and man I seriously feel for you. Wish there was something I could do to help, I'll see if I can contribute a little something to this giveaway, maybe raise a bit more awareness. Best of luck with the future mate, you've managed to make it this far anyway, I'm sure you can pull through.

There are quite a few writers on the forum here and you clearly have an ability in that regard, can't someone on here at least give you an interview or something? Probably just naive thinking though.

I think most people want freelancers, and I'm not confident I can make any sort of regular salary with it. I wish there was someone out there who had an opening for someone at like... ~$8-10k a year. I'm pretty sure most games journalists make more than that, but it's all I'd need to survive.

Already have the game, just here to show my support, you're not alone, I share a similar story due to illness, I'm just lucky to have more support :/. I hope we can be that support for you. I can't donate at this time, but I have another copy of Dark Souls II I'm willing to give up. PM me, it's a PS3 copy.

<3

It's probably best if you and dupy both PM godofnerdiness to get that edited in to the OP. I really appreciate all ya'll's generosity.

Damn, DocSeuss went through pretty much the same thing I am with work right now. I have an awful, awful coworker who hates my guts and is clearly trying desperately to get me removed. I know that pain and it's awful spending five days a week working with someone who considers you a cockroach. I'll donate when I can.

The thing about us cockroaches?

We took this advice to heart:

2muhpck.gif

(I love the gif)

Don't need Dark Souls 2, just wanted to wish you all the best Doc. :)

Why on earth do they hate you ? Christ, some people can be utter cunts.

One time--this was back in flight school--a co-worker reported me for planning a school shooting. She tried to get me fired, my boss wouldn't listen to her, so she tried to get me expelled. Thing was, they sent me for psychological counseling, ostensibly because I was missing classes (I was; this was when I was starting to get really sick). The counselor told me this after assessing--quite quickly--that I posed the furthest thing from a threat. We figured out how to make the complaints stop; I did her job for her, and blam, suddenly, she was the sweetest, kindest person ever.

Some people are just bad human beings. I later found out that this report had happened because my boss refused to hear any complaints from this person about me. In fact, after I had to drop out, she came to me and had a really long talk wherein she told me "library science is your calling; you should seriously go to school to become a librarian."

Jesus Christ, reading those two posts in the OP made my blood boil. I know how you feel, my mom has been working in a similar situation and she also has a chronic fatigue and pain problem. Her superiors kept harrasing her because she tries to right wrongs. I remember once, they gave her a project, she presented it, it was very well done (she even went out of her way researching and adding things she wasn't supposed to, in order to make the workplace save money) but they rejected it and decided to go with a project made by an extern, for which they had to pay. But she's the strong type, so she shrugged it off and said "worse for them".
I think you should do the same, go on, don't let them get under you skin. Things will get better. Can't you do anything to make them take you back? Maybe with the help of the people that know that you are good at you job and that she's just beign an asshole?

I'm pissed I can't donate to you right now. I really wish I could.

I want Dark Souls II, btw.

I'm thinking about writing a letter to everyone on staff but her, thanking them for the privilege of working with them, expressing my sorrow that I couldn't do so, since I looked forward to working with them every day. Knowing I helped teachers out was a routine. Putting a smile on my coworkers' faces meant a lot. Then I'll tell 'em how, when I was let go, I was told it was because there were complaints about me, but aside from one mention, nobody told me there was a problem. As a result, I'll apologize profusely, because I looked forward to seeing each and every one of 'em every day at work.

And that's not really... asking for my job back or anything, it's just the truth. If I really did upset anyone, and it's not just my boss being "psycho," as one of my co-workers described her, then hopefully, they realize I never meant to. I'll leave 'em with kindness.

I don't want Dark Souls 2.

It's really heart warming to watch this kind of support to one of our own. Put that Kickstarter up soon DocSeuss. Remember us when you're on top of the world! ;)

Don't think I'd be comfortable with a Kickstarter until I've got a vertical slice of the game done. This game would be pretty small-scale, only ~$5-10. The game I actually want to do isn't possible without the help of some artist/animators/programmers.

I would like Dark Souls 2, but even more I would like DocSeuss to get better and hopefully find a new job at a workplace where his boss isn't such a dishonest asshole.

I actually have a friend who just recently quit his job because he was working 2 to 6 hours overtime for over a year, though he's got really thick skin. Taking paid vacation for two months all the while looking for a new job.

What I'm trying to say is: Doc, just don't give up and apply for a new job.
Losing your job isn't the end of the world, although I can put myself in your position. You don't know what to do and that's only human, but don't forget that you've got a life to live and you have to do something to continue living it.
Not being able to work the job you wanted to can be frustrating but sadly you will (and have to) get used to it.

Keep your head up and forget the past. The future will thank you for it ;)

Thanks. I won't give up, you can count on that. I'll say I'll want to at times, and I'll feel like I will, but... I dunno, some part of me is on autopilot, and always has been. I just keep moving. I don't stop. I'm not sure it's possible for me to stop. I'm a shark.

I want Dark Souls 2!

Really feel for ya DocSeuss, would hate to be in that situation every day and really feel sad for you (Or anyone else who has to go through a similar situation for that matter). Must feel awful to feel your "lifes calling" is being denied to you too.

All I can hope is another life's calling awaits you soon and that life for you gets back on some good tracks.

I cried a lot when I found out I more or less wouldn't be able to fly again. It was one of the last times I've really been able to express emotion in any sort of meaningful way. I'm usually in so much pain, I just don't. I'm kinda in shell-shock right now. I want to express how my insides are right now, and I just don't know how to do it. I'm profoundly grateful to all of you.

The goal was set before Doc lost his job though :(
We probably won't change it but it's not like going beyond it doesn't help!

I couldn't have been saved this summer without your help. You set up the donations, man.

I want Dark Souls 2....

... but more-so I want to help any decent human being going through crap. Trust me, as a disabled guy, I know how easily life can go from feast to famine, and back. In every instance, for me, it has been the goodness of friends and family which helped me fight through tough stuff.

We're here for you man.

Donated.

You especially rock. You know firsthand what it's like, and you're able to help. That means a lot, in part because it gives me hope for what I might be able to do in the future.

People like that are hateful in general. Usually it's because you've probably done one or two things that rubbed them the wrong way early on without you being aware of it but that's enough for them to be eternally pissed off with you and yearn for your misfortune. I've witnessed this like twice with two individuals (once I was the target and once it was someone else I knew). I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you because it happened to be your boss. The pain sounds like it sucks, man. I guess I'm lucky to not have any major health issues at the moment... I'll throw you my lunch money.

I want Dark Souls 2.

The worst part, I think, is just how amazingly dishonest she is about it all. Instead of going "hey, mid-point in the semester, been hearing complaints, we've decided to let you go" (because obviously, if I'd found out then, I would have improved--heck, I did improve, and she admitted no one had complained about me at all recently), allowing me to start looking for work, she became increasingly nice throughout my final weeks. She offered me cookies, gave me extra time when I asked for it, stuff like that. I think she felt guilty and was trying to assuage that, but... ugh. Mixed signals. I thought I was getting back on her good side, but she was still leaving me a bit uncertain.

J3ffro

I really don't care about Dark Souls, but I'd like to wish Doc the best. It sounds like a terrible situation but I'm glad someone set up the page to offer some help.

What state do you live in? If you already said I must have missed it.

DocSeuss

Hey, guys, I made an update in the fundraiser. I think it's viewable here.

I really don't care about Dark Souls, but I'd like to wish Doc the best. It sounds like a terrible situation but I'm glad someone set up the page to offer some help.

What state do you live in? If you already said I must have missed it.

I live in the middle one.

Kansas

Grief.exe

I'm thinking about writing a letter to everyone on staff but her, thanking them for the privilege of working with them, expressing my sorrow that I couldn't do so, since I looked forward to working with them every day. Knowing I helped teachers out was a routine. Putting a smile on my coworkers' faces meant a lot. Then I'll tell 'em how, when I was let go, I was told it was because there were complaints about me, but aside from one mention, nobody told me there was a problem. As a result, I'll apologize profusely, because I looked forward to seeing each and every one of 'em every day at work.

And that's not really... asking for my job back or anything, it's just the truth. If I really did upset anyone, and it's not just my boss being "psycho," as one of my co-workers described her, then hopefully, they realize I never meant to. I'll leave 'em with kindness.

Don't burn any bridges, but I think you should do it.

CC your old boss as well. If you had a relationship with people higher up the ladder, include them too. Best case scenario you get people asking questions about the circumstances surrounding your removal.

DocSeuss

Don't burn any bridges, but I think you should do it.

CC your old boss as well. If you had a relationship with people higher up the ladder, include them too. Best case scenario you get people asking questions about the circumstances surrounding your removal.

Goal is to do the opposite of burning bridges. No anger, nothing like that. Just something along the lines of "I really loved working with you guys, and I was horrified to hear that there was a problem. Nobody told me, so I never knew. If I caused you trouble, I'm profoundly sorry. For what it's worth, I looked forward to working with each and every one of you; you meant a lot to me."

I truly feel that way. Do I have choice words for the bosslady? Sure. I think she's incompetent, dishonest, and a bad person. But I don't need to say that, or release an interpretive dance criticism video, or anything like that.

Top Bottom