• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Giveaway (PC) - Helping DocSeuss

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wish I could contribute now as well, and not for Dark Souls, but that sounds like a miserable situation. Unfortunately I'm in a fairly tight spot financially right now this month.

However, I am glad to see GAF generosity at work and I really hope things work out for you!

My situation is nowhere near as bad as yours, but I've been out of a job for a couple years now. Funny thing is, not working in/after high school due to medical issues kinda creates this gigantic gap in your CV that employers don't seem to like. I've been passed over a ton. I've been hoping that going to college would get me some ins or at least show that I was doing *something* to the jobs I wanna apply for--which at this point I almost don't care what it is. We'll see how it goes. You're way tougher than me, Doc. I can't contribute personally, but I can maybe talk to some buddies that can.

That copy of Dark Souls 2 would be swell if I end up getting picked. Whatever happens, happens. Ditto for Arkham Oranges.

DocSeuss

I'm willing to put up another copy of Dark Souls 2 so there can be 2 winners. Godofnerdiness I'll PM you.

Hang in there Doc. Sorry to hear about your pain.

Have I ever told you that you're awesome? Because if I haven't, I feel very bad for not having done so: you are awesome.

I wish I could contribute now as well, and not for Dark Souls, but that sounds like a miserable situation. Unfortunately I'm in a fairly tight spot financially right now this month.

However, I am glad to see GAF generosity at work and I really hope things work out for you!

Well, if anyone can understand being in a tight spot, it's me. I've got a friend right now who's just been diagnosed with... well, something that's generally fatal, and here I am, with my problems, and I can't help him at all. Sometimes, well-wishing is all that you can do, and that's okay.

My situation is nowhere near yours, but I've been out of a job for a couple years now. Funny thing is, not working in/after high school due to medical issues kinda creates this gigantic gap in your CV that employers don't seem to like. I've been passed over a ton. I've been hoping that going to college would get me some ins or at least show that I was doing *something* to the jobs I wanna apply for. We'll see how it goes. You're way tougher than me, Doc. I can't contribute personally, but I can maybe talk to some buddies that can.

That copy of Dark Souls 2 would be swell if I end up getting picked. Whatever happens, happens.

I know what that's like. After my illness was really taking hold, and I spent about nine months going to the hospital every other day for treatments (my family could afford it at the time, and it was a research thing, so the department subsidized it a bit), I found nobody liked that nice, big gap in my resume. I applied to around three hundred jobs in an eighteen month time span, only finding work after I returned to school at a local community college. I worked there the entire time I was earning my degree. If the department hadn't collapsed, and I'd actually, y'know, developed a portfolio, I might not have needed to transfer to a 4-year school, but I did, so last fall, I moved up here. Getting a job was quite a bit harder, but I finally found the one I ended up getting fired from. I've tried applying to other jobs, but haven't heard anything back. There's a chance I might be able to get one in the fall, but it'd be um... about a 50% pay cut from what I had before I was let go.

Listonosh

I want Dark Souls II!
I own the game but a friend of mine has also had some job and money issues who would love to take some time off his stressful job hunt to die a little in Drangleic.

Wishing you the best Doc

DocSeuss

I should say I want the game so I can just turn around and give it away later. Mwahahaha.

Okay. Whenever I'm feeling sad or upset or stressed or whatever, I try to turn it into silliness. If I seem jocular and completely fine, that's me attempting to deal. Saying amusing things helps.

Lot of awesome people in this thread. Doc is a really good dude. Best of luck with the fundraising.

I definitely want Dark Souls 2, but Doc is really the priority here. Glad to see the fundraising is going well, and will give what I can.

DocSeuss

Glad to see the goal is almost reached.

And I want Dark Souls 2 too!

fwiw, that was an arbitrary number I gave to Accent. When I actually budgeted the stuff, it was higher, but I was advised to keep it lowish. What I'm hoping I can do is survive long enough to find work, and this basically gives me three months to do so. While I'm looking for work, I hope to keep freelancing stuff and maaaybe use the time to work on that game I was hoping to put on Early Access/Kickstarter. Maybe. If that worked out, it'd be the ideal outcome, but I don't think I have the skills/tools necessary to do it all myself. At this stage, I'm looking for something that's like... $7.50/hr or more at 15-20 hours a week. Completely bottom of the barrel, just as long as I can do it sitting down. I think I can survive on that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Doc, you are a good dude. My Steam brother. Use your little brother as motivation. Tough times pass.

And, of course, I want Dark Souls 2!

Wolff

I want Dark Souls II

Hey dude i hope you can make it. Been through some rough times but everything's fine now. Still one can't forget times like these. Good luck.

My total thoughts and Prayers are with you Doc, I've got a personal check I've got to get cashed Monday that I am def donating pronto. I hate to hear of any gaffer go through this kind of pain and suffering, not the least of which I always thought was a good person from all the lurking I used to do here. I do not need a game to do this for someone else but if it happens I'd be grateful. Please know Doc I truly pray these things change for you immediately. So I guess I should say "I want Dark Souls 2" but in the end the reward of helping someone is truly enough for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Don't want Dark Souls 2 but I sincerely hope you get better DocSeuss.

Was in a somewhat similar situation myself once, wish you the best.

hohoXD123

I want Dark Souls II please!

I read your thread the other day and man I seriously feel for you. Wish there was something more I could do to help, I'll see if I can contribute a little something to this giveaway, maybe raise a bit more awareness. Best of luck with the future mate, you've managed to make it this far, I'm sure you can pull through.

There are quite a few writers on the forum here and you clearly have an ability in that regard, can't someone on here at least give you an interview or something? I mean, you've already got a popular article up on Kotaku. Probably just naive thinking though.

Already have the game, just here to show my support, you're not alone, I share a similar story due to illness, I'm just lucky to have more support :/. I hope we can be that support for you. I can't donate at this time, but I have another copy of Dark Souls II I'm willing to give up. PM me, it's a PS3 copy.

demolitio

I want Dark Souls 2.

Know how you feel Doc. Hope it gets better and all I can hope for is that all of the bullshit in our lives are to make us better people in the end that can handle adversity with ease.

Arucardo

I want Dark Souls 2.

Throwing some euro's your way as soon as I can Doc. I'll see what I can do with my next paycheck, the Finnish Defense Forces aren't exactly generous, lol, but I can definitely afford to help someone out a bit.

Damn, DocSeuss went through pretty much the same thing I am with work right now. I have an awful, awful coworker who hates my guts and is clearly trying desperately to get me removed. I know that pain and it's awful spending five days a week working with someone who considers you a cockroach. I'll donate when I can.

danthefan

I would very much like Dark Souls II.

Man that story was tough to read. Can't imagine what you're going through. All the best for the future.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Don't need Dark Souls 2, just wanted to wish you all the best Doc. :)

Damn, DocSeuss went through pretty much the same thing I am with work right now. I have an awful, awful coworker who hates my guts and is clearly trying desperately to get me removed. I know that pain and it's awful spending five days a week working with someone who considers you a cockroach. I'll donate when I can.

Why on earth do they hate you ? Christ, some people can be utter cunts.

Kiru

I want Dark Souls 2!

Wish you the best Doc. I can tell from your posts in the steam thread that you're a very cool and generous guy. :)

Acccent

I want Dark Souls 2 but I'm mostly amazed at your incredible support you guys, thanks a ton. This community can really amazing sometimes ;_;

Herne

Sending good wishes your way, Doc. Believe that it'll get better, because it will. I only wish I had more to give.

Edit - Don't want DSII, btw.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I don't want dark souls II. Just came in here to give my best wishes. I'll see what I can do.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Jesus Christ, reading those two posts in the OP made my blood boil. I know how you feel, my mom has been working in a similar situation and she also has a chronic fatigue and pain problem. Her superiors kept harrasing her because she tries to right wrongs. I remember once, they gave her a project, she presented it, it was very well done (she even went out of her way researching and adding things she wasn't supposed to, in order to make the workplace save money) but they rejected it and decided to go with a project made by an extern, for which they had to pay. But she's the strong type, so she shrugged it off and said "worse for them".
I think you should do the same, go on, don't let them get under you skin. Things will get better. Can't you do anything to make them take you back? Maybe with the help of the people that know that you are good at you job and that she's just beign an asshole?

I'm pissed I can't donate to you right now. I really wish I could.

I want Dark Souls II PC, btw.

Corto

I don't want Dark Souls 2.

It's really heart warming to watch this kind of support to one of our own. Put that Kickstarter up soon DocSeuss. Remember us when you're on top of the world! ;)

Top Bottom