• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Giveaway (PC) - Helping DocSeuss

Myshkin

Doc, hope your health improves.

GoN, thanks for administering this. Are you going to keep at it 20 days from now? (Perhaps there will be an updated Patreon page or something?)

I'm glad you've got enough to keep yourself going for the time being. I think you should really try and sort out your health issues before diving into game development, however if you do get round to making a game and need a writer let me know as I'd love to help.

DocSeuss

OMG!!! And to think, I would have just bought Outlast myself earlier in the week
for £3.75 off GamersGate
if I'd got my ESA payment on time. I'm almost glad I didn't now! Thanks to both Godofnerdiness and hohoXD123 for the generous gift!

And a heartfelt "whoa" at DocSeuss's donation. You gotta admit - however money-poor we are, we ain't poor for games! :p

Bundles + didn't know I was losing my job + been collecting since my last giveaway + some keys that unlocked from previous bundles.

Doc, hope your health improves.

GoN, thanks for administering this. Are you going to keep at it 20 days from now? (Perhaps there will be an updated Patreon page or something?)

I actually have a Patreon which hasn't been that active in part because of these real-life situations. It didn't really seem that successful because I never really got the word out, since I don't have a huge Twitter following (and that's more or less how it works). It's here.

I set up my fall schedule so I could write more (this was before losing my job), and I'm still willing to write to justify a Patreon. Heck, I'll even take requests for it if people wanted me to focus on anything. Basically: I'll write regardless, but I'd be glad to run a Patreon, but I don't really think it'll do that well. If I could get this other games journalism project I've wanted to do up and running, I think I could do some pretty awesome stuff with it, but I'm not really sure there's a market for a weird hybrid of Old Man Murray and Top Gear as a games website.

I'm glad you've got enough to keep yourself going for the time being. I think you should really try and sort out your health issues before diving into game development, however if you do get round to making a game and need a writer let me know as I'd love to help.

I can't really "sort out my health issues." It's a chronic thing that could cost... uh... ~$30-60k for just a couple years of treatment, which I can't afford. Best thing is to get started on what might help me earn money--so, something better than a minimum wage job.

Volimar

I would like Assassin's Creed IV

I'd say something supportive of Doc, but there's no way I could outdo the rest of this thread. So I'll just wish you my best.

I have a gift copy of Takedown: Red Sabre. No idea how to get a code for it, or if I can. But I could gift it to you and you could regift it to the winner, or something.

Wolff

The winner of Mirror's Edge is wolff! Congratulations, check your PMs.

Yes! That was great. Got the PM and already used the code. Thanks a lot and good to see so many games were donated and that the goal was reached.

If i can get a key soon i'll donate too. Thanks again. :]

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would like Assassin's Creed IV.

Hopefully what little I could donate helps out mate. Good luck going forth.

Valkrai

I would like Cave Story.

Right now I am completely strapped on cash but I'll see what I can do, for the meantime I just have some spare DI: Epidemic keys (if people want them).

Dambrosi

Banned
Bundles + didn't know I was losing my job + been collecting since my last giveaway + some keys that unlocked from previous bundles.
Just making a funny about how Steam sales and indie bundles are "devaluing video games", I think Activision said? That's all. Not meant as a slight.

I can't really "sort out my health issues." It's a chronic thing that could cost... uh... ~$30-60k for just a couple years of treatment, which I can't afford. Best thing is to get started on what might help me earn money--so, something better than a minimum wage job.
...shit. Kinda brings my own piddly problems into sharp relief. Stay strong, man.

FYC

Banned
Thanks to Piano for Beatbuddy: Tales of the Guardians and Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Thanks to Antoids for Binding of Isaac.

Haunted

Oh man, now this has turned into a real big giveaway. Cool to see!

I would like Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut or NBA 2K14 ^^

FYC

Banned
The winner of McPixel is Sammichu! Congratulations!

The winner of Mark of the Ninja is Henry Swanson! Congratulations!

The winner of Brutal Legend is Darth Kupi! Congratulations!

Check ya PMS y'all.

Sammichu

The winner of McPixel is Sammichu! Congratulations!

The winner of Mark of the Ninja is Henry Swanson! Congratulations!

The winner of Brutal Legend is Darth Kupi! Congratulations!

Check ya PMS y'all.

Hey Godofnerdiness,
elhav was kind enough to give me a copy earlier, so I'd like to donate McPixel back to you :)

DocSeuss

Man, I really hope everything works out for you, Doc. That really sucks man. :(

I would love to snag Assassin's Creed IV.

Well, at least this has worked out for me so far. I really appreciate what ya'll have done, though there's only so much I can say. Every contribution helps immensely.

Shredderi

Keep staying strong. You sound like a real good guy so I really hope that things will start looking up for you. Best of luck, man.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would love to snag Assassin's Creed IV.

Based Doc. Good guy I've come to know through the Steam thread.

Accoun

I want Deadly Premonition or To The Moon or System Shock 2 (assuming they aren't already taken, not really sure if the list in OP is any actual).

Hope it'll turn out OK, Doc.

FYC

Banned
Woah, thanks to danthefan for Final Fantasy XIV(EU). Comes with the base game and 30 days free. Appreciate the donation!

Myshkin

I want Saturday Morning RPG.

"Drama, instead of telling us the whole of a man's life, must place him in such a situation, tie such a knot, that when it is untied, the whole man is visible." -- Tolstoy

DocSeuss

Fundraiser's been updated.

Doc here. I am amazed at your resourcefulness and generosity. I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Accent for this fundraiser, and Godofnerdiness over on NeoGAF for the game giveaway that helped bring awareness to this campaign.

You guys have helped ensure I'll be able to survive the next summer, at which point I can hopefully get on disability or find new work. The goal's been tweaked: any and everything helps for the campaign, and the initial goal was a random figure given because I didn't think we'd ever hit anything more than that. It was also given before I lost my job.

Consider this update a stretch goal. It's for others who haven't yet donated to see I still have a ways to go. You who have donated so far have done the most crucial thing: keeping a roof over my head. If nobody gave anything after this, you'd already have exceeded my wildest hopes. Beyond this, expenses go towards a doctor's appointment, replacing an air filter I need for health reasons, replacing a pair of sneakers and some clothes that are falling apart, and expenses like that. They're all necessities, and things that would greatly improve my quality of life.

Once again, wow. I'm on the verge of (happy, happy) tears. You guys have saved me. Without you, I might have had to drop out of school. I might never have been able to return without you. I love you guys to pieces, and I'll never be able to fully express the profound impact you've had on my life. Thank you, with every fiber of my being, thank you.

FYC

Banned
The winner of Assassin's Creed IV is wilflare! Congratulations!

The winner of System Shock 2 is Accent! Congratulations!

The winners of Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut are Haunted, Tregard, Detox and Antoids! Congratulations!

Check your PMs y'all. Once again, great work everybody.

FYC

Banned
You know what, I've been getting into CS:GO lately and I have a few crates/weapons I was probably gonna sell anyways. I'll put 'em in the OP.

FYC

Banned
Thanks to Myshkin for donating

Hearts of Iron 3
Vanguard Princess
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

DocSeuss

Well, some of you might have been right about things working out for me. In talking to my department's chair about a problematic teacher I had this semester, I found myself asking about other forms of financial aid. She brought up work study, and I indicated I was very familiar with it, having been a work study employee for more or less three years. So... they'd like me to reach out to them later this year for future employment. No summer, but there's a potential I'll end up getting something down the road.

I can still use all the assistance I can get--it's not a done deal--but it's a ray of hope.

FYC

Banned
The winners of Viscera Cleanup Detail are Piano, topyy and Phil0sophy!

The winner of Unearthed is ussjtrunks!

The winner of Surgeon Simulator is nightstorm!

Congratulations y'all, check your PMs.

That's great news, Doc. I hope it all comes to fruition.

By the way, that's a huge list of games you've got there, OP. Let's see if it draws enough attention for the new goal to be met.

Mr Git

Well, some of you might have been right about things working out for me. In talking to my department's chair about a problematic teacher I had this semester, I found myself asking about other forms of financial aid. She brought up work study, and I indicated I was very familiar with it, having been a work study employee for more or less three years. So... they'd like me to reach out to them later this year for future employment. No summer, but there's a potential I'll end up getting something down the road.

That's great! My university has several bursaries for financial crisis/aid but most of them are fairly hidden - I really had to dig through a million things and fill out a dozen forms but eventually got some. Might be worth a bit more digging at yours, they seem to like making it a massive ballache to put people off in general.

Doc, in Britain, your boss can't terminate you from your Job without at least one months of pay to help you find new work. They also have rights that protect you if you believe that your employer has terminated you on wrongful grounds.
I haven't been following the thread until now but a good idea might be to find work as something like a cashier while you pursue something else.
Nip a french fry now and again working at McDonalds.
A source of income, no matter what it is.
Also, is there anything to do with flight that you remember and/or can still help people with. A flight school or maybe even airport near you perhaps? It might be a longshot but it's worth a try to find some work there and build some contacts.
I can't possibly understand how scary this is being so young and not being in the position. Heck, I don't even know if my advice is helping but if there is a chance that it might, it was worth writing.

FYC

Banned

I can still use all the assistance I can get--it's not a done deal--but it's a ray of hope.

That's awesome. Best of luck.

fatalexe

I would like Final Fantasy XIV.

Good luck Doc, will donate a few dollars to the cause when I get my pay the end of the month. Never give up.

Top Bottom