• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMESCOM / Impressions from the show floor

bigfurb

Bummer, I could have gone for a game like The Order. This far along and the impressions being that tepid overall don't bode well.

I'd be concerned if the impressions were from a new demo that showcased more than 5 minutes of the game, but it makes no sense worrying about negative impressions from such a short, early demo (especially when that same demo got an equal or greater amount of positive impressions back at E3)

Game4life

Banned
That's such a cop out answer. It's not easy to make a top tier, highly critically acclaimed game, especially multiple times in a row, even if you have the template. See GOW Ascension, Perfect Dark and so on. It's probably easier for a new studio to mess up a franchise than it is to keep up the quality of its legacy.

And a lot of devs struggle with the stage demo side, because they're in crunch time making the actual game, heavy in actual development. It's not a case of simply taking out a small chunk of your game and calling it a day. There's mass testing, polishing etc required. Hell even in the demo they're showing off, there's still a few glitches that have occurred here and there, so you can tell even that segment isn't fully done.

nib are you trying to tell me that for a game being developed for over 4 years it is so hard to provide a 5 min competent demo to showcase the mechanics properly. Are you saying its too much to expect? I am not even asking Uncharted or TLOU level awesome demos highlighting the vision of the game. Something even more basic. Surely that is not too much to ask. If there is a good game hidden somewhere in the order then they surely effed up with the promotion. Someone has seriously messed up here.

nib95

Banned
nib are you trying to tell me that for a game being developed for over 4 years it is so hard to provide a 5 min competent demo to showcase the mechanics properly. Are you saying its too much to expect? I am not even asking Uncharted or TLOU level awesome demos highlighting the vision of the game. Something even more basic. Surely that is not too much to ask. If there is a good game hidden somewhere in the order then they surely effed up with the promotion. Someone has seriously messed up here.

Oh no, absolutely not. I agree they should have chosen a better demo, and even a new one for Gamescom. The one they showed off looks like one of those early tutorial levels where it's like, here's a new weapon or feature, let's make it super easy for you to test it for the next few minutes. In this instance first testing the thermite rifle.

All I'm saying is that it's a bit ridiculous to lay full judgment on a game based on a 10 minute demo, that probably encompasses 0.014% of the full game (assuming the game is roughly 10-12 hours long). It shouldn't make RAD immune to criticism, quite the opposite, but I think there should be some perspective along with the sentiment.

Positive impressions from who, games press? I'd put more stock in an average of every day gamers for the most part saying "eh" than E3 impressions from press. It's on the devs for bringing the same demo and getting such mild reactions overall. Maybe they don't have time, money, or manpower for a new demo and that's fine. Maybe it'll all turn out fine in the end, who knows. I'm going off what people are saying now. And if it ends up being the case for the final game, it can look all kinds of pretty, but I personally wouldn't touch it if it isn't fun to play. We'll see. I'd sure like it to make a turnaround.

Plenty of positive GAF impressions from the demo here too.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=125585633

cackhyena

I'd be concerned if the impressions were from a new demo that showcased more than 5 minutes of the game, but it makes no sense worrying about negative impressions from such a short, early demo (especially when that same demo got an equal or greater amount of positive impressions back at E3)
Positive impressions from who, games press? I'd put more stock in an average of every day gamers for the most part saying "eh" than E3 impressions from press. It's on the devs for bringing the same demo and getting such mild reactions overall. Maybe they don't have time, money, or manpower for a new demo and that's fine. Maybe it'll all turn out fine in the end, who knows. I'm going off what people are saying now. And if it ends up being the case for the final game, it can look all kinds of pretty, but I personally wouldn't touch it if it isn't fun to play. We'll see. I'd sure like it to make a turnaround.

It is such a low priority at this point for them likely. That old demo, which is likely going on at least 3-4 months old at this point, was more designed as proof that they are delivering on their promise when it comes to graphics and animations. So from th he time of that demo being made they have nearly a year to finish the mechanics, much less polish them. Anyone remember the GOW3 demo that came out roughly thes same time in the dev cycle? That was drastically different from the final game, including even how that scene played out.

Best we can do is give them the benefit of doubt. There is a ton of time left until the game comes out. The trailer they just put out looks great, and it looks like there will be a variety of scenarios throughout. It's okay if you aren't sold on it yet, there is still 6 more months to sell you on it.

buckeye13

Banned

Actually I would trust the gaming press more than randoms playing a demo , as they have an understanding of game development and process involved . They play games all the time far from done and understand not to evaluate the demo as how the game will play when released

There's no excusing The Order's poor showcase, because while we can assume all we want, what they've showed is what it is.

But at the same time, it's fair to assume that the devs are clearly in a situation where they're not able to build a game showcase better than what they've got for E3... which was what they showed at Feb this year. And it's not like the game's ugly or anything, but it's clear that they've got gameplay mechanics that aren't in a very good state. So it's not broken, but simply 'not good.'

Will the game still be in poor state come February? Maybe. But maybe they can fix all that by launch.

But it's got an uphill battle to climb. It's clear that The Order is in a situation where the devs aren't able to show much outside of trailer cuts right now.

Loudninja

There's no excusing The Order's poor showcase, because while we can assume all we want, what they've showed is what it is.

But at the same time, it's fair to assume that the devs are clearly in a situation where they're not able to build a game showcase better than what they've got for E3... which was what they showed at Feb this year. And it's not like the game's ugly or anything, but it's clear that they've got gameplay mechanics that aren't in a very good state. So it's not broken, but simply 'not good.'

Will the game still be in poor state come February? Maybe. But it's got an uphill battle to climb.
Sure if you ignore the positive impressions we got as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125585633&postcount=156

Its subjective like any other game, we are going to see positive and negative impressions.

nib95

Banned
It is such a low priority at this point for them likely. That old demo, which is likely going on at least 3-4 months old at this point, was more designed as proof that they are delivering on their promise when it comes to graphics and animations. So from th he time of that demo being made they have nearly a year to finish the mechanics, much less polish them. Anyone remember the GOW3 demo that came out roughly thes same time in the dev cycle? That was drastically different from the final game, including even how that scene played out.

Best we can do is give them the benefit of doubt. There is a ton of time left until the game comes out. The trailer they just put out looks great, and it looks like there will be a variety of scenarios throughout. It's okay if you aren't sold on it yet, there is still 6 more months to sell you on it.

Right, and I've spotted a few glitches in the demo too, weird hair, clipping, things not quite loading right etc. It's clear even as a demo it's not fully done or polished.

ibo05Em0zyxTQ9.gif

Loudninja

My statement is of course, assuming that the general consensus is that it's 'not very good' right now, and yes, in ignorance of the positive impressions.

Because I can see where nib is coming from, but it can also be seen as a 'leap-to-defense' something bad because game development issues.
Agreed.

Right, and I've spotted a few glitches in the demo too, weird hair, clipping, things not quite loading right etc. It's clear even as a demo it's not fully done or polished.

gif
Hah yeah RAD talk about that glitch.

Pimpwerx

Will the game still be in poor state come February? Maybe. But it's got an uphill battle to climb.
Feedback on The Order is mixed, as noted by nib95. The media opinion on it seems largely positive too. There's some bizarre urge to shitbin the game before it even goes gold, but I'm certain there's plenty of time to correct issues. And hey, if it stinks, it won't be the first pretty game to play ugly. However, it's hardly time to pass judgement on a game 6 months out.

I'm curious to know what is clunky about the gunplay in the game, though. Is it along the lines of Uncharted and Tlou? It's been 7 years or so between when I played UDF and Tlou. The first time I looked down the sight, the aiming felt off. Because ND added body sway, which also meant the reticule comes up in odd places. It took me 10 minutes to readjust. I'm curious to know why some are saying the gunplay is clunky, while others are praising that aspect of the game. There doesn't seem to be a consensus there...or anywhere. PEACE.

Claptrap

The problem with The Order are not the controls, while I felt the aiming with the pistol felt a bit off my brother had no problems with it.
As I said before the bad thing was that the demo was scripted from start to finsh and the shoot outs were so static it almost felt like a rail shooter.
But it was only a short demo and the rest of the game may or may not play very differently.

The problem with The Order are not the controls, while I felt the aiming with the pistol felt a bit off my brother had no problems with it.
As I said before the bad thing was that the demo was scripted from start to finsh and the shoot outs were so static it almost felt like a rail shooter.
But it was only a short demo and the rest of the game may or may not play very differently.

Well, the playable section was a super-scripted section of the game that was practically a tutorial for the Thermite Gun... you had to shoot the guys behind the cover, and then drag the guy right?

I always thought that it was such a terrible part of the game to make as a demo showcase, because it's like demo-ing TLoU, not in any of its large environments, but literally the first time you're 'asked to shoot a gun' ( which would've demo-ed terribly as well if they did that ), because the demo was... pretty much a Thermite Gun tutorial.

Sounds like the Order doom-and-gloomers were right. Even the most positive impressions only seem to muster up "the graphics are great and that one gun is cool" type stuff.

Exactly this. The controls feel good, it's just that the demo is a shooting gallery where all you do is pop in and out of cover to shoot. It needs a hook. Vanquish has the boost, Max Payne has shoot dodging, Resident Evil 4 has precision shooting and crowd management, The Last of Us has survival and stealth mechanics as well as great melee options and open area design.

This game needs to be more dynamic. It resembles Gears, but that game had the roadie run and the rolling, as well as flanking options.

Not saying the final game will be a disaster, but this demo is all I played so far. And I can see where Edge is coming from when they called it a disaster in their E3 issue (just to show that not all the press was enthusiastic about its LA showing). I'm rooting for RAD, they seem a great studio. I really hope this demo was just a poor slice (it happened before, I recall a really shitty Dead Space demo for example) and that the final game will make us all eat crow.

Claptrap

Well, the playable section was a super-scripted section of the game that was practically a tutorial for the Thermite Gun... you had to shoot the guys behind the cover, and then drag the guy right?

I always thought that it was such a terrible part of the game to make as a demo showcase, because it's like demo-ing TLoU, not in any of its large environments, but literally the first time you're 'asked to shoot a gun' ( which would've demo-ed terribly as well if they did that ), because the demo was... pretty much a Thermite Gun tutorial.

Have they shown gameplay from a more open part of the game?
I only remember the demo from E3 with the werewolf which also looked heavily scripted.

nib95

Banned
Have they shown gameplay from a more open part of the game?
I only remember the demo from E3 with the werewolf which also looked heavily scripted.

There's a few snippets of more open ended segments in the new Gamescom trailer, but in all honesty they've shown very little of the game.

ieFTeptPyx5Tu.gif

nib95

Banned
Do you think we can burn all these wooden structures down?

Very much doubt it, but you never know. I honestly don't think RAD have the man power and budget to do something as all encompassing damage and destruction wise as some of us maybe want. There'll be some, sure, but I don't think it'll be very comprehensive. If The Order does well financially, their second game will likely be far more ambitious, but coming off of portable games, the transition to full next gen console was always going to be a struggle.

Dawg

Dead Island 2:

Played the demo in LA suburbs. Played the first game so didn't take long to get used to this. Still plays very similar, but melee combat has been slightly improved and feels somewhat more responsive. Also more gore. You can also taunt zombies by shooting at cars and you can fight other players in the seamless MP (1-8). Oh yeah, the song from the first CGI trailer started playing during an event. I really liked that, just slaughtering zombies on that awesome song. Really puts you in the mood.

The Witcher 3

Best looking game I saw by far. The city of Novigrad has insane detail and is very much aluve with active NPCs. Combat looked great and exploring the world felt great. Saw some cool story related stuff and a gang of fucked up witches.

Lords of the Fallen

Yeah... this played a lot like Dark Souls. Only slowed. Even the death mechanic is similar, with your ghost leaking XP unless you get it back. Checkpoints and save points seem to be more forgiving than DS though. Also, some monsters have some annoying mechanics but it seems to be easy to get them in choking point and finish them in just a few hits. I liked the armor/weapon design and I dig how you get better rewards if you beat a bosa under special conditions but I think this will be a B-tier game at most.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue

I love naval combat in AC:IV and the demo was focused on this aspect, so yeah... I liked it a lot. There's some neat new stuff like dropping oil/fire behind you if you're being chased. Best part was the icy region. You can sail through ice and destroy icebergs which cause rogue waves. Great new tactic to fuck over enemies. The region also looks cool.

Cheeky

I was there yesterday. Spent most of my time photographing cosplayers as i really didnt want to queue for hours and hours.

After about 3 hours my flasher ran out of juice and i just went and explore Cologne instead.

Cosplay photos for those that are interested can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/eIg8U

Some other things i found interesting:
  • I expected a way bigger crowd on Saturday
  • Only in Germany can you find a stand for simulator games
  • The line for Destiny was ridiculously long, i could understand the long line for Bloodborne but Destiny just made me wonder why.
  • German bathrooms freak me out.
Destiny Line:
Bloodborne line:(reaches around the corner though.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Do you think we can burn all these wooden structures down?

Doubtful the destruction that they have shown is pretty limited in scope. Destroying a wooden barrier and some glass structure are all I have caught through all of the videos they have shown.

Whatever this is gets destroyed in the shootout in the new trailer.
mbnqfJh.png

This also shows off some of the newer gameplay stuff it is missing the stealth bit. Just from the new trailer it is pretty easy to tell they haven't really shown us anything.
TO18862.gif

The articles have all said that the learning curve is steep at the beginning. You need a good hour to 'get' the controls and settle in. Your comment is consistent with this.
That sounds like "She seems rude until you get to know her." Aka you'll adjust to her bullshit.

But I'll wait and see. Learning curve and crap/clunky controls are two different animals.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I need to hear more about Lords of the Fallen. I'm afraid if I don't buy it at launch it will vanish since it looks like it will get limited distribution.

GlamFM

Banned
I need to hear more about Lords of the Fallen. I'm afraid if I don't buy it at launch it will vanish since it looks like it will get limited distribution.

I talked to TheDutchSlayer after the show. He saw it, I didn't find the time to check it out. He said that it was awesome. "Western Dark Souls that will unfortunately bomb horribly".

S1kkZ

didnt play it myself, but the impressions from all german gaming sites were very positive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There are so many games with positive response or mildly positive response I can't tell. Lords of the Fallen, Shadow of Mordor, Alien, Evil Within...hard to pick it out.

I seriously hope RAD iron out the issues several Gaffers have pointed out. It would be a SHAME to under-exploit the setting, atmosphere and art/tech combination The Order 1886 proposes...

Sounds like Quantem Break and The Order are teetering on the side of mediocrity. TBH its going to be hard to play games like that after playing TLOU which had such dynamic cat and mouse gameplay with the AI. I'm not down on their premise, you can do a lot with "third person cover shooter" but the battles have to be interesting. The AI has to be good because that is the meat of the game.

A platformer or puzzle game isn't inherently better like the narrative on gaf would lead you to believe, it bothers me when people dog a game based on its genre. But in their defense, these two games seem to be playing it a bit too safe.

Other then that, Shadow of Mordor and DA: I are sounding awesome. So close, just need to hold out a few months.

ZeroFate

My highlights (bear with me GAF, I'm no gaming journo but I'll do my best):

Project Morpheus

THIS was the first thing I tried out. They only had this opened to winners of some online raffle that took place some time ago. They allowed people to hang around and try out the units if these people didn't show, lucky for a lot of us most of them were in fact no-shows. I only had to wait about 30-45 mins to try this bad boy out. They had the same two demos they showed at the reveal (underwater cage/shark one, and the knight demo) with an additional 2 that I don't remembering ever seeing in the press. One dealt with you sitting on some sort of sled and sliding down a street avoiding vehicles and other things that may get in your way. Sense of speed looked pretty great, and obviously this one was designed to feel as natural as possible sitting down.

The other one was a space combat flight sim akin to what we've seen recently with "No Man's Land" and "Star Citizen." As soon as I got in line I knew I wanted to try that one out and prayed to the freakin gods I got chosen for it (they didn't let you choose your demo, it was whichever one was available first). One thing I'd like to point out that got me even more hyped while waiting in line was everyone else's response to this thing in person. As soon as the reps put the visor and headset on them, the majority of people got in instant grin and started looking around like a mad man. Pretty awesome thing to see.

So after about 30 mins my time to try one out finally arrived and my prayers to the Sony Gods were answered! Got picked for the space combat sim. I was pretty nervous since I've been a follower of the "VR Movement" since the days of the OR kickstarter. This would be my first ever taste of this tech that's been touted as the next big thing. First thing I noticed after the rep put the visor and headphones on was just how comfortable it felt. I wear glasses and figured I'd be, for a lack of better terms, discriminated against in the same fashion as the obnoxious 3D glasses us four-eyes have had to put over our glasses for years. Nope. This felt great and I didn't feel any pressure on my glasses at all.

The next thing was retrieving the so called "sweet spot" with your headset. The best way I could describe it is adjusting the resolution on your monitor but... on your face. Until you hit that spot everything looks out of focus and pretty terrible. It only took me about 20 seconds of adjusting to get it perfect (I'm sure that would be cut down with more experience). The game starts up with the controls, but most people are probably too busy going "WTF I CAN ACTUALLY LOOK AROUND THIS COCKPIT OMG THIS IS SWEEEET." Well, that was my reaction anyway. So needless to say I didn't really pay attention to the controls and had no idea what I was doing when the game started. Luckily it's pretty straightforward and I picked up on it quick.

The graphics were much better than what I was anticipating. Definitely not up there with what we've seen so far this gen, but I'd say we could get visuals from late last gen replicated on it easily. Which is more than enough for the general public to enjoy I think. Let me just say that a 60 FPS space sim has to be the best way you can showcase VR. I really felt like I was transported into one of these things. I was dodging fighters left and right, blowing up random asteroids; etc. Using the controller to move the ship and looking around with my head felt so natural too.

All in all VR HAS to be tried before you make a snap judgement on it. It really is the next jump in gaming we've been waiting for. I was grinning like a fool from ear-to-ear the whole time. I hadn't felt that excited since the jump from 2d to 3d. It really is that amazing.

I asked the reps to take some pics, here are a couple:

Only pic I got of the game, that's me in the background and I'm pretty sure this is right after the control setup screen as your fighter pilot is blasting off into space.
This one is awesome because I had NO IDEA they were even there! I was so entrenched in this experience (it's likely my mouth was like that the entire time) I didn't even feel them that close to me. Felt creepy checking my phone afterwards and finding that pic haha.

Sunset Overdrive

This game is indeed Insomniac's "return to form." I don't own an Xbone and didn't intend to own one anytime soon, but I'd be lying if playing this game didn't make me wanna go out and buy one right away. The weapons have that uniqueness that Insomniac is known for and the COLORS! Good god the game is full of em and it's awesome. I also really liked their set-up for the booth area.

We had an 8 person co-op session with one of the reps leading/narrating our game (she did a great job at setting the overall tone of the game and getting us comfortable with rules/controls). Not to mention the art for this game is terrific. While waiting in line you're greeted with murals upon murals of the awesome art/design of this game. I'd say design/art-wise it's up there with Insomniac's best. Gameplay/controls are also fluid and easy to pick up on (especially if you've played games like Infamous). They had about 8-10 weapons available the whole time and they varied a ton. Being a fan of the Infamous series, this game reeeeally makes me hope Sucker Punch is taking notes for the next one. This horde mode was tons of fun and needs to be copied for the next Infmaous outing. :p

Dead Island 2

Although being the pre-alpha I was very impressed at how great everything seemed. Not a huge fan of the series (played a few hours into the first and got bored with it), I only tried this one out because a few of my friends wanted to. Left pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had with it though. Graphics were crisp (not too much slowdown, but it was there) and I loved that I could easily mod my machete into a lightsaber-like weapon using electric devices picked up in the area. I had a great time slicing up zombies and watching them get momentarily paralyzed by the electric currents.

They had what looked like a randomized event occur (think GTA) where I had to protect some movie theater from getting destroyed by hordes of zombies. The game actually alerted everyone in my gaming session to get to this area ASAP. Of course everyone was too busy farting around slicing up zombies/modding their weapons to notice this so only 4 of us showed up, which made things way more intense/fun anyway. Game is for sure on my radar, even if it my be a ways off.

Collar Dooty: House of Cards

Not a fan of COD but was dragged to this anyway. Was again super surprised by how much fun I had. Jet packs/wall climbing add that "something" to the game that kinda pulled me in. The weapons were also just futuristic enough to not make it look ridiculous in the COD-verse. They felt pretty grounded. Not much else to really say on this one, otherwise it felt pretty COD-ish. I like that they're doing something different with the series that doesn't seem too terrible.

Misc Notes

-Didn't have a chance to try out the Oculus Rift DK2 since the line was always bonkers. You can tell they're putting that FB money to good use because their booth is 1,000X better than it was last year. They put everyone else's to shame with the nice wood paneling and the plush couches. Looks like they tried to go for a transported living-room setting. Looked sweet and wish I got the chance to try it out. My neighbor should be getting his DK2 next month so I'm not too upset about missing out on this (for the 2nd year in a row!).

-I can't for the life of me figure out why the Destiny line was so freakin long. Wasn't it a reported 4-something million who downloaded the beta? Makes no sense since the game is about to hit too. People are nuts.

-Never been into any of the big MOBAs, but it's always great visiting the LoL section and seeing everyone going bananas like it's the superbowl.

-Saturday was waaaaaay less packed than Sunday. Was surprised at this since I figured most people would go on Saturday since Sundays everything shuts down in Germany.

-Watched people playing the current version of Driveclub and it looks INSANE. The year-long delay is justified based on what I saw.

Overall, I was most impressed by the Morpheus and Sunset Overdrive. Wish I had a chance to try out Bloodborne but couldn't fit it in. I would have probably spent the majority of my time dead like I do with most of the Souls games anyway. :p

Gurish

^^ These are some very nice impressions! VR sounds great and by what people are saying you experienced the less definitive version of it (OR DK2 suppose to be better)

Thanks, was a very nice read, excited about VR as well!

GlamFM

Banned
^^ These are some very nice impressions! VR sounds great and by what people are saying you experienced the less definitive version of it (OR DK2 suppose to be better)

Thanks, was a very nice read, excited about VR as well!

I only checked out the OR, but I keep hearing the exact opposite - Morpheus is supposed to be the better one...

Gurish

I only checked out the OR, but I keep hearing the exact opposite - Morpheus is supposed to be the better one...

I though DK2 destroys Morpheus, that it's much more immersive, better spec (higher resolution panels), Morpheus also have a problem where you can see your feet while wearing it which kills immersion.

Xater

I played the behind the doors demo for like half an hour and liked it. They are not ashamed to admit they are very much influenced by the Souls games. That goes right down the controls basically being the same and having a limited amount of healing potions that can be replenished at specific spots. I really like the way it looked, they have some really cool designs in that game. My only real problem during the short demo was that the dodging felt slightly off. During my time with it I just couldn't get the timing right for all the enemy attacks. I would say keep an eye on it but wait for extensive reviews because how this game really shakes out will only be known once it's final and some more extensive game has been spent with it.

Widge

Everything is pointing at The Order being pretty poor. The Heavenly Sword trap of failing to match the quality of genre peers while chasing filmic presentation.

ZeroFate

I though DK2 destroys Morpheus, that it's much more immersive, better spec (higher resolution panels), Morpheus also have a problem where you can see your feet while wearing it which kills immersion.

Yeah, the feet thing isn't true. I saw a sliver of light at the bottom of my screen while I was adjusting for a couple of seconds but that was it. After adjusting my whole FOV was the screen.

I'm pretty sure the OR DK2 is a little bit ahead (tech wise) of the Morpheus, but I've read it's barely noticeable by people who have tried both. I should be getting my shot at trying the DK2 in the next few weeks so I'll know then! :)

Top Bottom