• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming" keyboards = biggest scam in computer gaming

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
See You Next Wednesday said:
Come on, your saying you wouldn't put in a little extra scratch for something like this bad boy

logitech-g19-gaming-keyboard_5tfN9_5965.jpg
Bahaha, you'd end up initiating a missile strike on some poor eastern european country instead of launching Xfire.

bandresen said:
And you also bind some of the above things to the mouse and avoid it that way.

The point I think was made very clear that rollover is a problem in certain genres. If you don't see it that way, you must not play at a high enough level to have it occur.

Or are you saying that this problem doesn't even exist and that NKRO doesn't solve anything?
USB supports 6-key-rollover plus modifiers, I'm not sure where you got 3 from. NKRO isn't an issue in competitive games.

TedNindo

I bought a sidewinder X6 keyboard for 20 euros and got trackmania 2 for free when I bought it.

Anyway you look at it that is a great deal.

BadTaste105 said:
Changing from a basic keyboard to a Logitech G15 keyboard helped me tremendously in World of Warcraft.

That's a bit different though, the LCD screen is quite useful for WoW. My old GM used to use one.

Forsete

Gold Member
I play on my Unicomp keyboard. :p

4506166612_d405deec2f_b.jpg

I have the G15 also, but I am too lazy to plug it in whenever I play a game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
darkpaladinmfc said:
USB supports 6-key-rollover plus modifiers, I'm not sure where you got 3 from. NKRO isn't an issue in competitive games.
That's great for USB. What the matrices in the keyboard support is a different issue.

Raonak

Banned
keyboards are the part of m/kb combo which i don't like. It's just a stupid default.
wsad is just a hack.

some sort of navigation controller(analog stick, dpad, a few buttons) plus a mouse (with few more buttons) is the perfect combo imo.

vazel

Banned
My Logitech G110's keys light up which was cool for like 3 minutes. I haven't used the macro keys much, maybe when I start playing MMOs again.

Edit: I also have to mention the USB port on my keyboard is underpowered. Can't power most of my devices. It can only power my bluetooth dongle.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The_Technomancer said:
Its so hard for me to go back to other keyboards after
close-up-of-new-macbook-keyboard.jpg

Every other keyboard I use the keys feel too stiff and things feel too spaced apart.
go fondle a logitech illuminated keyboard. as far as short throw keyboards go, it's the ferrari. makes mac chiclet boards feel like muddy pieces of shit.

i've been sitting on a microsoft x6 for a little while. it's easily the nicest membrane i've ever had, but i feel the mechanical age bearing down upon me. my mind just hasn't fully registered the notion of paying a hundred bucks for a damn keyboard.

i know a couple of people with the op's dell keyboard, probably the clunkiest and least tactile thing i've ever used. you'll be doing yourself a service to buy anything else. even a $15 cherry scissor switch board would be a giant upgrade.

Saroyan

I guess I was scammed, because I love my G15. the G keys, lcd screen for monitoring temps and in-game apps, usb ports, media controls, backlit keys, and I didn't pay much more than that arbitrary $30 for it. I wouldn't pay retail, but really, no one should.

Hylian7

sk3tch said:
The only problem with your argument is that I use my "gaming" keyboard about 50-60 hours of week and maybe 5-6 of those hours are for gaming. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the quality and comfort. To each their own...

...Mechanical keys FTW.
This. My keyboard isn't even labeled as a "gaming" keyboard. It's a mechanical keyboard with N-key rollover. If you want to see if your keyboard has that, hold both shifts and try to type this: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

My results: "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPED OVER THE LAZY DOG"

This is the keyboard I have: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VU17E8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ACH1LL3US

MrOogieBoogie said:
I laugh at anyone who spends more than $30 on a keyboard thinking it'll give him or her an edge in online competitive play.

Dell_keyboard_1.jpg

All you need.

If you want a keyboard with cherry switches etc you have to pay alot more then $30 for one. I am using at work the same piece of shit keyboard you put in your post. My Filco mechanical cherry black switch keyboard at home is a HUGE difference feel wise then this crap I am using at work.

I don't think anyone has said it would give you an edge, I much prefer the higher quality keyboard switches vs this bullshit dell keyboard at work.

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

i hate membrane keyboards like they have here at work. and i'm using the exact same one you've got a picture of. it's pretty crap.

i write novels as a hobby and play lots of PC games. mechanical uber alles.

benny_a

darkpaladinmfc said:
You still don't need a 'gaming' keyboard, and NKRO is still something different.
My initial statement was "have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time". A keyboard that isn't technically NKRO but allows for 6 keys (6KRO) at the same time would fall under that category. I was just giving you an easy term to google so you can see that this issue exist.

And 'gaming' is just a moniker used for keyboard hardware with higher component cost and thus lesser likelihood of having uncharitable matrices for gaming.

Orayn

Expensive membrane keyboards are a scam. All the fancy LEDs, LCD screens, and XTREMELY KOOL FONTZ in the world can't make up for the inferior technology.
Mechanical keyboards, on the other hand, are absolutely worth the money.

bandresen said:
My initial statement was "have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time". A keyboard that isn't technically NKRO but allows for 6 keys (6KRO) at the same time would fall under that category. I was just giving you an easy term to google so you can see that this issue exist.

And 'gaming' is just a moniker used for keyboard hardware with higher component cost and thus lesser likelihood of having uncharitable matrices for gaming.
Yes, you said 'have fun pressing more than 3 keys at once' in response to 'gaming keyboards are a scam', but you don't need a gaming keyboard (or even an expensive keyboard) to press more than 3 keys at once.

Cipherr

I like how everyones like "You dont need a gaming keyboard or mouse" then go on to list the obvious benefits of a G19 and gaming mouse with tons of keys that are programmable.

So what exactly is your argument, that a game can be played without gaming keyboard and mice? Of course they can, but as a Gamer I will take higher mouse DPI, 5+ more mouse buttons, customizable mouse weight, programmable keys, no ghosting, a mounted LCD screen, macro keys, keyboard based usb and mic plugs, and a backlit keyboard since they add comfort and functionality.

Unless you can conjure up a terribly good reason for me not to, outside of the fact that perhaps you personally dont want to spend money on these items (which means fuck all to me) I'm not really understanding where you are going with this.

Xyphie

My Filco laughs at you.

bandresen said:
Have fun pressing more than 3 keys at the same time.

Dear god this. I facepalm when I see anyone recommending a Logitech scissor-switch or Apple keyboard for gaming.

benny_a

darkpaladinmfc said:
Yes, you said 'have fun pressing more than 3 keys at once' in response to 'gaming keyboards are a scam', but you don't need a gaming keyboard (or even an expensive keyboard) to press more than 3 keys at once.
But you certainly can't use the keyboard from the OP for that either.

There is a reason certain brands of keyboard manufacturer's specify if they have 'anti-ghosting' or xKRO. If you can find a keyboard that does all that for cheap without the 'gaming' moniker then all power to you. Recommend it for people that read this thread so they can get a cheap keyboard that isn't annoying to use in games.

Guys, the OP is right and wrong at the same time.

There's no question that all keyboards are not created equal, that's just how it is. Whether it's to do with durability or responsiveness isn't really important, both are variable factors when buying a keyboard.

So while it's true that you should be a bit discerning about your keyboard if you're going to play games on it, buying a 1337 G4M3R KEYBLAST FINGERBANG 9000 probably isn't going to be much better than a half-decent Microsoft keyboard.

The biggest scam ever in computer gaming to me was CompUSA employees trying to dump $60 power supplies on people saying it would make you network connection faster. I had a BestBuy employee try that on me once, but most of the stoires I heard were about CompUSA.

Mr Jared

WHAT? I can't hear you over my Steelseries 6G.

*CLICKITY-CLACK CLICKITY-CLACK CLICKITY-CLACK CLICKITY-CLACK *

Orayn

WASD kind of is a hack. It's just an incredibly useful one whose disadvantages are almost completely overshadowed by the superior precision of the mouse it's usually paired with.

ctrayne

Xyphie said:
My Filco laughs at you.

I facepalm I see anyone recommending a Logitech scissor-switch or Apple keyboard for gaming.
Filco user here too, and I have a Topre Realforce at work. People who tell you cheapo keyboards are just dandy simply haven't witnessed the power yet. Huge difference, and not just for games, but for everyday use and fatigue.

Scissor switches are terrible and I gave away my Apple keyboard at work. It's fine for light computing but those chicklet keys are only good for so much.

coopolon

I love my g15. I use the LCD occasionally, but the backlighting is great, keys feel good, and macro keys are occasionally useful. Nice long cord and USB slots.

Got it for an insanely cheap price though from Newegg, like $30.

MikeE21286 said:
All this talk about mechanical keyboards.

I'd love to try one out before shelling out a large amount for one.
You might be able to find a Razer Black Widow at Best Buy that you could try. If they don't have one on display, you can take advantage of their liberal return policy if you buy it and don't like it.

Gravijah

plagiarize said:
this is how i roll...

http://www.daskeyboard.com/images/products/ultimate/2.jpg[img]

backlighting? bah! you babies need to look at your keyboards?[/QUOTE]

that's how my keyboard looks!

but it didn't come that way.

ctrayne said:
Filco user here too, and I have a Topre Realforce at work. People who tell you cheapo keyboards are just dandy simply haven't witnessed the power yet. Huge difference, and not just for games, but for everyday use and fatigue.

Scissor switches are terrible and I gave away my Apple keyboard at work. It's fine for light computing but those chicklet keys are only good for so much.

Yeah chiclet keys always feel wrong to me, but I'm a bit of a weirdo. I like a nice solid CLACK when I hit my key, anything less and it's like I'm giving it a reach-around rather than typing.

plagiarize said:
this is how i roll...

*the emperor of keyboards*

backlighting? bah! you babies need to look at your keyboards?

I'ma get one soon, but there is no way I'm going for the unlabelled model :p

Orayn

coopolon said:
I love my g15. I use the LCD occasionally, but the backlighting is great, keys feel good, and macro keys are occasionally useful. Nice long cord and USB slots.

Got it for an insanely cheap price though from Newegg, like $30.
Yeah, this is the other side of it - If you're not going all out and getting a mechanical, you can get some pretty nice features for your money on membrane 'boards for <$40 or so. It's when you start spending $80+ on membranes that things get silly.

Derrick01

Banned
I spent $20 total on my mouse and keyboard, not including tax.

$8 for the keyboard, $12 for a USB mouse. Both about as basic as you can get and I have no problem using them online. The only issue I have online is my discomfort with actually using a mouse and keyboard but that's my problem.

$200

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Its so hard for me to go back to other keyboards after
close-up-of-new-macbook-keyboard.jpg

Every other keyboard I use the keys feel too stiff and things feel too spaced apart.
People actually like playing games using flat keyboards? I don't know but I really hate those on laptops.

mbmonk said:
I love all the supporting data or facts you use to backup your claim.

It's almost as if you are just trolling. At least put 1 reason why you feel this way in the OP.

Clearly this is the first thread by the OP you've visited. See other classics such as "Uncharted is the pinnacle of game development because I say so, if you disagree then you just don't understand".

Orayn

mbmonk said:
I love all the supporting data or facts you use to backup your claim.

It's almost as if you are just trolling. At least put 1 reason why you feel this way in the OP.
To be fair, that Dell is one of the nicer membrane keyboards in wide circulation. Where he goes wrong is in claiming that no keyboard above $30 can provide a competitive advantage. Being able to use any gaming peripheral effectively is mostly a matter of familiarity and comfort, which vary wildly among individuals.

Top Bottom