• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Teknoman

Just realized that I dont have any of the map packs aside from the flashback one...and for some reason I remember buying all of them except the stealth campaign map pack.

Teknoman said:
Just realized that I dont have any of the map packs aside from the flashback one...and for some reason I remember buying all of them except the stealth campaign map pack.
Check your Xbox's Download History & re-download them if you did buy them previously.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I just went up like 8 levels but it would be even more if the games didn't crash so often. Also, Horde gets insane at round 10. Too many of those need to be chainsawed guys.

Greyvvolf

I started at level 10 tonight and ended up getting to level 32 after I was done playing. Does anybody have any tips? How do I use the shotgun effectively?

Yesterday I had 17500 kills looking forward to play some horde mode today if anyone is up for it I'll be online the next few hours.
Just add me on XBL and tell me in the MSG that you are from gaf so I know to accept you.

I will be playing later today once I get the chance, sounds like they made horde tougher to help balance out the XP boost a little bit.

I dislike boosting, why would you even need to do so with 20x :p

I was playing Guardian yesterday with few friends of mine, none of them played in a while. That probably had to be the longest Guardian game I ever played, at the end I got something over 100k+ XP, :lol

bumpkin

I played for a few hours last night -- went from level 26 to level 37 before calling it a night -- but I will tell you what I keep seeing a lot of that's annoying; scumbags who join Horde games and basically just stand there while everyone else does the work (and get the XP for it). They're especially charming when out of the blue they send you a message on XBL saying "fag. you suck" after the team loses a round.

bumpkin said:
I played for a few hours last night -- went from level 26 to level 37 before calling it a night -- but I will tell you what I keep seeing a lot of that's annoying; scumbags who join Horde games and basically just stand there while everyone else does the work (and get the XP for it). They're especially charming when out of the blue they send you a message on XBL saying "fag. you suck" after the team loses a round.
love gears <3

Yeah the reward for winning is too much but if you made it so kills gave 80+ % of your xp a lot of people would still be under level 50, but that kind of shit is annoying when you just know they are farming for free.

Right, time to setup my 20x box and join in the "fun"

lol damn boosters, most games in social have them boosting especially in annix, so I kept throwing ink grenades and capping the point while killing others, host quit after sending me a rude voice message :lol

fuck you boosters!

Teknoman

If anyone else is up for legit ( boo boosters) horde, GT: TeknomanEX

EDIT: Nevermind, :lol had some points left over, just went ahead and grabbed the All Fronts collection...so guess i've gotta wait till that finishes.

Minamu

You gain levels that you could brag with :) About as pointless as the achievements some are connected to. They have absolutely no influence on gameplay or anything (and with tons of boosters, they don't really mean anything skill wise either).

Minamu said:
You gain levels that you could brag with :) About as pointless as the achievements some are connected to. They have absolutely no influence on gameplay or anything (and with tons of boosters, they don't really mean anything skill wise either).

Ah, ok.

Teknoman

Heh went from lvl 3 to like 17 in 3 matches or so. Gears 2 is still just as fun as it was at release...was surprised at that spawn with no weapons glitch though.

bumpkin

I wanted to get my "wings" but I just don't have the time to invest to do it. And I really just don't want to boost in Horde, just out of principle; it pissed me off when I saw people doing it. *shrug*

Finally reached level 50 last night and got a bunch of the achievements dependent on it. I think I'm probably done/good with the 20x event. I'm a little disappointed, but it is what it is.

It's amazing how even 20x can't make me play gears for more then an hour or two without feeling pissed off and sick of the online portion, horde is the only saviour for me now and even then you get idiot hosts who die 10 seconds into wave 6, pause and quit out like a wimp.

I really hope that cliffy and the crew look at a better weapon balance in gears 3, keep the shotgun bullshit to the new double barrel and tone down the one you spawn with, game becomes way too shotgun happy most of the time.

Diablohead said:
It's amazing how even 20x can't make me play gears for more then an hour or two without feeling pissed off and sick of the online portion, horde is the only saviour for me now and even then you get idiot hosts who die 10 seconds into wave 6, pause and quit out like a wimp.

I really hope that cliffy and the crew look at a better weapon balance in gears 3, keep the shotgun bullshit to the new double barrel and tone down the one you spawn with, game becomes way too shotgun happy most of the time.
I definitely agree with the shotgun part. It can be way too powerful from far away, meaning that most people will just run around with shotguns all the time. The double barrel could be about the same as the current shotgun in Gears 2, but with the obvious change that it can only shoot two times before reloading.

Karram

I also notice how overpowered the shotgun is after TU6. And the hammerburst is useless when compared to the lancer After Epic increased it's damage. I don't care if Epic keeps it that way in Gears 2 or not but what I care about is that it doesn't stay that way in Gears 3.

Flunkie

Banned
I will ship my copy of Gears 3 back to Epic's headquarters with a pile of shit on top if the netcode, balancing, and everything else is even remotely comparable to Gears 1 and 2. After two games, they should know better.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Flunkie said:
I will ship my copy of Gears 3 back to Epic's headquarters with a pile of shit on top if the netcode, balancing, and everything else is even remotely comparable to Gears 1 and 2. After two games, they should know better.

Hopefully Gears 3 is just like Gears 1 and 2 just so I can see this happen.

Karram

Flunkie said:
I never thought I would want Gears 3 online to suck. :lol

Does anyone know if they will be doing another 20XP weekend anytime in the future? I figured I'd try to get to lvl 50 for the achievement, but I only made it to lvl 46 before the XP went back to normal. It's a pretty fun game, but there's no way I'm going to play to lvl 50 at the normal XP rate.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Does anyone know if they will be doing another 20XP weekend anytime in the future? I figured I'd try to get to lvl 50 for the achievement, but I only made it to lvl 46 before the XP went back to normal. It's a pretty fun game, but there's no way I'm going to play to lvl 50 at the normal XP rate.
I don't expect that we will get as much as 20x XP again, but I'm sure we will get 3-8x XP events in the future. Thanksgiving, halloween, the 2 year anniversary for Gears 2 and "Gearsmas". Those are the ones I can think of that we will see this year.

Minamu

Permanent 10x please! At least TRY to fix the stupid exp requirements... 2x is just a punch in the face :) During this event, I gained 5 levels in about 2 hours. And that was 2 hours of boosting mind you. Had it been 2x, I would've gotten the exp equivalent to 0.5 levels in that same time. To get the same amount of exp I got in 45 minutes, you'd have to get around 3000 points, in KOTH, in THIRTY matches. Had it been the 1x the ranking update first came with, I would've gotten about a quarter of a level in that same time. So yeah, the exp requirements are insane :lol Now, these numbers crumble a bit since each new level require a bit more exp each time so they're just rough estimates, but still. The level achievements are in the same ballpark now as the multiplayer achievements in Ghost Recon :lol (get to first place on the international leaderboards etc)

Ballistik

Played way too much Gears this weekend, ran into boosters and many people trying to glitch out of the maps. In the end, I went from 77 to 100 :D Now I just need Horde achievements and collectibles to get all the points..

I think the 20x was a little too much for all those people who actually have a legit 100 with 2x.
But well whatever, I had my rank reset at 68 with 1x so I don't feel like I cheated to 100.

Denzar

Playing through this for the first time and GODDAMN it's amazing. I almost finished it and I'm very impressed.

Graphics are still some of the best in the industry, soundtrack is Epic (no pun intended), gunplay is among the best best in the bizz, I really dig the visual style, and the banter is funny. Cole and Baird are awesome teammates.

And believe it or not but
I liked how they handled the Maria moment. It did not have me in tears, but it got under my skin (in a good way). I was genuinely moved.

This game is miles better than the first. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm already looking forward to Gears 3.

Deepack said:
Playing through this for the first time and GODDAMN it's amazing. I almost finished it and I'm very impressed.

Graphics are still some of the best in the industry, soundtrack is Epic (no pun intended), gunplay is among the best best in the bizz, I really dig the visual style, and the banter is funny. Cole and Baird are awesome teammates.

And believe it or not but
I liked how they handled the Maria moment. It did not have me in tears, but it got under my skin (in a good way). I was genuinly moved.

This game is miles better than the first. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm already looking forward to Gears 3.

Exactly! This sums up my feeling on the game. A lot of people gave the story a beating, but it was better than most Hollywood summer blockbusters. After reading all the novels, I can't wait to see how things pan out in Gears 3.

Denzar

Just finished it.

Wow, such a step up from the first, it's unbelievable. Ranks among the greatest games of this gen IMO. Damn, did not expect it to be this good. I wonder what they will do in Gears 3 to top this experience.

Hootie

Deepack said:
Just finished it.

Wow, such a step up from the first, it's unbelievable. Ranks among the greatest games of this gen IMO. Damn, did not expect it to be this good. I wonder what they will do in Gears 3 to top this experience.

Definitely agree with ya, although I wish the final battle was a liiiittle tougher.

Overall it was an amazing game, and I had an absolute blast playing with a buddy. Horde mode? Infinite fun as well. I'll be anxiously awaiting 3.

Top Bottom