• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

see5harp

sweetvar26 said:
Is there a reason why you prefer Social as opposed to ranked?

And yes Horde is still really good for earning XP, as long as you have some friends not running around and get the waves completed, every wave on insane nets you around 6000XP, that is a lot!

Social doesn't include the matchmaking and when I used to try playing solo, it could sometimes take forever to find matches. With what seems to be more games in social (because of the bots), I also tend to get better connections to people.

EDIT: and I didn't mean to imply that Horde wasn't a good way to level up, it's still much faster than playing the competitive modes without an XP boost. I just find Horde to be really boring and unless I'm trying to get through podcasts or listen to some music, it's like grinding in an RPG for me.

yankeehater said:
Horde is still the best way, unless you are really good at the MP modes. You get over 6,000 exp a round of horde on insane, with the security trick you can just keep doing wave one. You get over 6k a round and a round only takes a minutes. I went from being a 30 yesterday to a 58 today. I will be on all day if any Gafers are looking to level up quick.

What's the security trick?

itsgreen

Saw this a few weeks ago while re-reading a Dutch PC Zone from 2000

Looks weird :)

6tjqrp.jpg

bubnbob

Banned
Ben2749 said:
Ugh, why does Horde have to be full of Torque Bow assholes? I can't even survive Level 1 on Insane by myself.

Which level are you doing? I did Day One and hid in the upper balcony (the one above the arcade)

Skilotonn said:
When Gears 3 comes out, and you aren't level 100 by then (no doubt there will be PLENTY more events at the rate they are coming, and how much higher they are reaching), you don't deserve to complain whatsoever.
except for the part where my rank bugged and got reset from 45 to 1

warbegins said:
except for the part where my rank bugged and got reset from 45 to 1
Level 45 is nothing. That's not even 7% out of all the XP you need for level 100. With 25x XP you'll get to level 45 again in 2-4 hours.

bubnbob

Banned
As much as I'd like to get 100, I'm not too thrilled on being required to buy a map pack just to unlock it, let alone boost it (no, I don't own All Fronts, not much of an MP guy, just have the freebie Flashback Maps).

see5harp

Seriously I'm getting almost a level up a match at Rank 60, and I'm not even all that good. Sorta upset I missed all the previous XP events.

quickwhips

If anyone wants we are trying to get 10 people together to do koth for the social game. If we get 10 people we can get close to 100 in like 4 - 5 hours. :lol

see5harp

quickwhips said:
If anyone wants we are trying to get 10 people together to do koth for the social game. If we get 10 people we can get close to 100 in like 4 - 5 hours. :lol

Add me and sometime tonight I'll get in there with you. Right now my Dad is in my backyard doing yardwork and I can't start playing videogames while his 60 year old ass is out there laboring. I wanna bro out but I feel bad about it.

I dislike boosting (I always ruin them when I get placed into a boosting match :D ) but i'm up for a few rounds of something later, not played since the last title update but I may as well push for that level 50 achievement... i'm close.

Minamu

quickwhips said:
GT: Minamu. Depending on when we play, I might get another gaffer.

see5harp

Everybody add my ass. I'm playing on and off for the next 2 days and would be down for a little Horde if you are too scrubby to play Execution.

bumpkin

quickwhips said:
I might be down. I've been playing a shitload of Horde, both casual social and locally with a friend on insane, but definitely need something with more earning potential. My gamertag is DaveB1980

When are you planning on playing? It's 5pm my time right now.

Jhoan

I'll be down for any KOTH/Execution boosting matches and Insane runs through Horde. I'm gonna get on in half an hour. GT: Neoblaze181; send me a message/ invite when I get on or FR.

A friend told me today that the XP required to get from level 98 to level 100 is the same as level 1 to level 98. Is that true? Because fuck getting to level 100 if so, 25x multiplier or not.

Ben2749 said:
A friend told me today that the XP required to get from level 98 to level 100 is the same as level 1 to level 98. Is that true? Because fuck getting to level 100 if so, 25x multiplier or not.
98 to 100 is 400,000 XP same as going from 1 to 44.

sweetvar26 said:
98 to 100 is 400,000 XP same as going from 1 to 44.
Oh man, I'm not looking forward to that. I'm working on 97 to 98 right now and this is a chore even with the 25x XP. I'm definitely not going to try to reach top rank in Gears 3.

I hope the reward in Gears 3 for having wings is worth it. I've sunk a disgusting number of hours into this title.

see5harp

Garcia el Gringo said:
Oh man, I'm not looking forward to that. I'm working on 97 to 98 right now and this is a chore even with the 25x XP. I'm definitely not going to try to reach top rank in Gears 3.

I hope the reward in Gears 3 for having wings is worth it. I've sunk a disgusting number of hours into this title.

Imagine for a second that you had 3 days of gameplay before they evened updated the title to have the ranking system. Imagine that.

I'm willing to bet that the week before Gears of War 3 comes out, Epic will make a 100x multiplier or something silly, to ensure one last hurrah of online activity, and that everybody can reach level 100 before they move on.

Either way, there's bound to be more XP multiplier events in the future, and they're probably going to get higher, as the last one was 20x. So it's best not to burn yourself out too much by trying to get to level 100 right now.

Just out of curiousity, who here has the Seriously 2.0 achievement? I'm assuming that playing the levels in the Campaign where you're in a tank/on a Brumak/etc, and the enemies come at you in massive waves is the best way of getting that.

see5harp said:
Imagine for a second that you had 3 days of gameplay before they evened updated the title to have the ranking system. Imagine that.
I played a shit ton of competitive multiplayer and horde before the rank update and map packs. I had every achievement besides Seriously 2.0 before the DLC. I probably would've reached 50+ without any crazy 25x XP before the update if ranks were there from day one. I did waves of horde almost every night for a good part of that winter. A decent number of those were all the way up to wave 50 on normal difficulty. So I can imagine.

I'm rank 99 right now! I almost have my wings!

And I'm about 1/3 the way to Seriously 2.0, but fuck that. No more sinking hours into this game.

Garcia el Gringo said:

Which mode are you playing? I went from 98 to 100 in 2 hours in wingman.

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, 100,000 kills is stupidly high. I don't know why the fuck they thought that would be a good idea to make that a goal.
And I'm sure Epic feels obligated to make Seriously 3.0 even more ridiculous. :lol

Got my wings. I'm done. It was an under appreciated game for sure. The campaign was so great, but the multipayer was lacking. Epic should have hustled to add some reward system similar to Call of Duty 4's to Gears 2. CoD reinvented how you reward a player for putting time into a game. Since late '07 you needed some sort of meta game with positive reinforcement every match in you're FPS/TPS. A huge complaint from my friends was that after CoD4, sinking time into Gears multiplayer felt pointless since you weren't compensated ingame. Casual players need that carrot on the end of the stick post-CoD4. The rank update was too little too late. I think the casual Gears community suffered because of that (and of course all the launch glitches). It sounds like they're doing something like this with Beast Mode, where you unlock new locusts to control, but it needs to go beyond just that game type. The competitive multiplayer needs earnable characters, armor, titles and the such. I'm sure something like that is planned, but they really need to go all out with it. I want to see Gears 3 hanging with Halo: Reach and the CoDs on the Xbox Live Activity chart. None of this Gears 2 dropping off shit. This franchise deserves to be among the top.

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, 100,000 kills is stupidly high. I don't know why the fuck they thought that would be a good idea to make that a goal.
Because it gets people to play their game. People who oftentimes wouldn't be playing their game if there wasn't such a distant carrot/stick for the game as Seriously 2.0.

Everyone I know who is sane who earned all the achievements legit, quit playing Gears 2. And that means no boosting for the Rank Achievements. (and skipping on chasing Seriously 2.0; they are sane after all).

I'm 3/4 the way to my Legit LVL100 with no boosting. My pride wil reach a maximum level when that day comes, may EXP Events be praised, saving me precious hours of dealing with bad netcode with or without offshore hosts, glitchers, quitters, and asshats that come with Gears 2 MP. It will be missed, until 7 days from now when Reach keeps me busy :3 , and after my Reach thirst subsides, while I wait anxiously for the impending gears 3. Long live Carmine!

I tried to play up to 50 last night but I just can't, something about the game, it can't hook me in any more and horde as fun as it was is a bit of a snooze fest now. I like seeing bots take the role of a dropped player but there have been some real bullshit kills from them, you can approach one from behind and he will shoot you in the head before he's turned around, that's either some ugly looking lag or the bot's aim quicker then their animations, it's something you never see human players do in terms of animation, it's a bot thing.

Gears 3 is bringing us the shotgun and the mode to play as big beasts but I seriously hope more is coming to the table, if it's just going to be another gears 2 online with shotgun rushes i'm out.

Anybody up for playsing some games? I don't have the extra maps, so I can't join Social games, because Epic don't know how to make a decent fucking matchmaking service.

My GT is BENJO KAZ00IE (that's two zeroes in Kaz00ie)

Dosia

I tried ranking up but after 3 matches I got bored. The shotgun is still inconsistent as ever. Point blank 1 shot, followed by point blank 3 shots. Hopefully they fix this shit for 3. Also, the torque bow clearly has aim assist on as you can see it bend towards a player if it is "close enough".

Arnie

Still have this game because of my love for the franchise after the awesomeness that was Gears 1, but damn is this game bad. The movement speed change combine with the shotgun issues single handedly killed this game for me and all my friends who spent years playing the original (all got seriously).

People always site Resistance 2 as being the big failure of fall 2008 but I argue Gears 2 (multiplayer) is even worse.

bumpkin

Man... I've been playing the game a bunch since the XP event started, and I've only been able to go from 50 to 66. I've only been playing Horde because I basically get my ass handed to me in the competitive modes. :lol

That being said, I don't suppose anyone is doing any of the "boosting" matches today that I can join?

I know that it's ethically wrong, but good god, I simply don't think I can get there otherwise with only a day left (I have to go back to work tomorrow). :(

Jhoan

I definitely agree about the shotgun and torque bow fests that plague the MP. That thing is annoying. Hell, I think MW2's MP isn't as bad as this game's; Gears 2's MP seriously sucks and hopefully the next TU fixes this thing. That's why I stay far away from MP; I swear, you can't go a second without getting blasted by a shotgun.

I tried a few KOTH boosting matches yesterday and man that's gotta be one of the most boring things I've done in a MP game. It's like one GAFfer said, it looks like square dancing. I don't get the point of it other than to get huge amounts of XP by stepping in and out the ring. This one guy who was in my game kept being a douche ( his GT was KOTH BOOSTER; avoid this idiot; complain against him) by throwing ink grenades and randomly running up into the circle to blast the opposing team, and so every time he respawned, everybody had to run up to kill him and hold him back. Boosting matches are weird. And there's absolutely no rewards for getting to level 100 other than a crappy icon and one measly achievement (which requires some work). I'm pretty satisfied at level 51.

Besides that, I had a good time doing a couple of Insane runs of Horde with some GAFfers and a few online friends so that was cool. Some people that I've played Horde with suggest that you play on Normal so it wouldn't be as frustrating and easier ride it out to the 50th wave, instead of doing it on Insane since it balances out. Horde is definitely the safest and best way to go about grinding unless you're desperate to get to level 100.

bumpkin

So that's what the dance was about in that one game. How do the points in KOTH even work? I always figured it was the usual aggregate of kills/downs and capture points (as in holding the zone). I've heard Guardian awards XP per minute of play.

I know it's just an icon and achievement, but they (Rod and Cliff) keep teasing about some "reward" in Gears 3 for having your wings. That's the main reason I care; the crossover bonus in 2 -- getting extra MP skins -- was a neat extra.

bubnbob

Banned
It will probably be some character skins for multi in Gears 3... didnt they say the same thing about Gears 2 if you beat it on Insane?

see5harp

This game has a very steep learning curve. You aren't going to jump in and be competitive. If you have a good connection, the game is solid though. It's one of the most satisfying games when you get good (and assuming you aren't suffering from lag). Shit is getting slow around 70.

I'm at level 30. I want to get to 50 before the end of tomorrow, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. I'll wait until the multiplier goes up even more before I bother trying for anything higher. Like I said before, I'm willing to bet that at the very least, the week before Gears of War 3 launches, the multiplier will be 100x or something similar, to ensure that everybody can hit level 100 before moving on.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bumpkin said:
So that's what the dance was about in that one game. How do the points in KOTH even work? I always figured it was the usual aggregate of kills/downs and capture points (as in holding the zone). I've heard Guardian awards XP per minute of play.

I know it's just an icon and achievement, but they (Rod and Cliff) keep teasing about some "reward" in Gears 3 for having your wings. That's the main reason I care; the crossover bonus in 2 -- getting extra MP skins -- was a neat extra.

Let me put it this way - with the last XP event, if you everyone co-operated properly, you could get almost 500,000 XP for a full point, 3 rounds of KOTH, which can be done in roughly 45 minutes - basically one team sits in the ring while the other team breaks it repeatedly, giving you 200 points in less than a second - you run this up till the KOTH match point is 118 or 119, then switch.

Considering that you need about 7.5 million XP total for level 100, you can do the math and see that what would take you 2 years of constant playing can be gained in a matter of hours now, you'd see why it's the best method by far to reach level 100. Forget Horde or any other mode if you are truly desperate to get it.

And that was at 20x, now it's 25x.

It's boring as HELL, luckily I got mine before the 20x event, but it's a chance that you could never pass up otherwise.

Skilotonn said:
It's boring as HELL, luckily I got mine before the 20x event, but it's a chance that you could never pass up otherwise.
In the 20x event I joined a game where people were doing just that, so I kept throwing ink grenades at them until the host quit in rage lol, wasted a good 30 minutes of their time doing that.

see5harp

I didn't realize doing KOTH could net you so much damn XP. If anyone really wants to make a go of it sometime today, let me know.

Top Bottom