• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

bumpkin

see5harp said:
I didn't realize doing KOTH could net you so much damn XP. If anyone really wants to make a go of it sometime today, let me know.
I'm game, but I think we need 8 other players who are going to play along.

ShogunX

Jipan said:
I definitely agree about the shotgun and torque bow fests that plague the MP. That thing is annoying. Hell, I think MW2's MP isn't as bad as this game's; Gears 2's MP seriously sucks and hopefully the next TU fixes this thing. That's why I stay far away from MP; I swear, you can't go a second without getting blasted by a shotgun.

No offense but it sounds like you just have dont have a good grasp of the multiplayer. The game is excellent 90% of the time since the last TU and there is pretty much nothing left to fix that would impact the game in any significant way.

Gears is a game you have to play with your head and not your trigger finger which is why a lot of people enjoy it as the skilled players will always outdo the people new to the game. Another big aspect of Gears is having a decent and talkative team so you can lock the map down and control the power weapons. If your always getting killed by a torque bow simply stop the enemy picking it up. Gears is still one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences around but it has a serious learning curve.

Xzior

I'm really starting to get angry with this game. Why can't I find a single match to play, been trying for 30 minutes :/

Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching... Searching. Searching.. Searching...

Minamu

I'm probably not gonna make it again before it's over due to time zones, but we can try again. GT: Minamu. Currently stuck at lvl 95 :lol

The King of the Hill method might be boring, but if everybody is co-operating, you get a stupid amount of XP. You can get about 500,000 XP in about an hour. I went from level 33 to level 52 in about two games, if I remember right.

bumpkin

Ben2749 said:
The King of the Hill method might be boring, but if everybody is co-operating, you get a stupid amount of XP. You can get about 500,000 XP in about an hour. I went from level 33 to level 52 in about two games, if I remember right.
It's boring but stupid effective.

Minamu said:
I'm probably not gonna make it again before it's over due to time zones, but we can try again. GT: Minamu. Currently stuck at lvl 95 :lol

Don't worry, there will be more multiple XP events before Gears 2 release, the next one will most likely be during Thanksgiving week.

bumpkin

2 Minutes Turkish said:
so how long before this XP event ends?
It ends sometime tomorrow -- maybe 9 am -- but I'm not sure.

In any event, I more or less give up for now. When I started, I had reached 66 legitimately. I resorted to KOTH boosting to try and reach 100, but fell short; stopped at 79. I got sick of struggling to find matches where everyone was in.

Now I won't argue that boosting isn't fundamentally unethical, but it doesn't *hurt* anyone. The people who clearly see what's going on and maliciously go against the grain are assholes. If people want to boost to reach an absurdly difficult to reach goal, that's their business. It's their choice and their time. If you don't like it, quit to the lobby and search again. Don't be a prick.

*steps off of his soapbox*

Shogun PaiN said:
No offense but it sounds like you just have dont have a good grasp of the multiplayer. The game is excellent 90% of the time since the last TU and there is pretty much nothing left to fix that would impact the game in any significant way.

Gears is a game you have to play with your head and not your trigger finger which is why a lot of people enjoy it as the skilled players will always outdo the people new to the game. Another big aspect of Gears is having a decent and talkative team so you can lock the map down and control the power weapons. If your always getting killed by a torque bow simply stop the enemy picking it up. Gears is still one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences around but it has a serious learning curve.
Lag is still there though so a good portion of that % is luck or abuse, I have multiple times been downed by the same person I just headshot, killed or downed because of the lag differences, it also remains that if you are the host you can do so much better, when ever I have been host I can dive out of corners and shoot someone before they even see me on their screen, it feels glorious but it should not be that powerful to be host, not many if any other online games are like that at all, not even halo if you are host.

Jhoan

Shogun PaiN said:

No offense taken. I honestly do not have a grasp of the MP because I rarely play it. Maybe if I were to play it more, it'd be able to click but I'm still not open to that because I don't have any friends to play MP with who are good at that stuff and could show me the ropes. And I always play online with strangers. I'll give it a shot one of these days. And yeah, you're right, the guys who are always winning are the guys who have the opposing team surrounded and know where everything is. I still think it has to do with keeping your finger on the trigger so I still think MP's off putting because of that. I'm gonna get on again in a bit to boost on KOTH for a bit. My GT's on the previous page and on my profile.

Minamu

sweetvar26 said:
Don't worry, there will be more multiple XP events before Gears 2 release, the next one will most likely be during Thanksgiving week.
True enough :) I just reached lvl 100 though! :D Pushed me over 43000 gamerscore with that one ^^

Went from level 23 to 50 over the span of a few days. And had a blast playing horde. Forgot how much I love that mode. Realized I'll probably never hit 1999 rounds played (at like 1300 now) and Seriously 2.0 would be a pipe dream (6700/100000). :lol

Makes me wish I'd picked up that used Gears of War (original) LE I saw used at FYE last week. It was gone when I went back yesterday. :(

Jipan said:
No offense taken. I honestly do not have a grasp of the MP because I rarely play it. Maybe if I were to play it more, it'd be able to click but I'm still not open to that because I don't have any friends to play MP with who are good at that stuff and could show me the ropes. And I always play online with strangers. I'll give it a shot one of these days. And yeah, you're right, the guys who are always winning are the guys who have the opposing team surrounded and know where everything is. I still think it has to do with keeping your finger on the trigger so I still think MP's off putting because of that. I'm gonna get on again in a bit to boost on KOTH for a bit. My GT's on the previous page and on my profile.
I used to feel just as lost as this a few months back.

I learned of the existence of variables in Gears 2 that work to increase my survivability depending on the situation. This came from reading certain FAQ posts online regarding optimal weapon/grenade usage, map strategy, optimal aiming/ironsight/movement tactics. Reading how and why they work to increase survivability helped my game immensely as I learned to implement what I learned into the game.

Gears 2 has it rough because the learning curve can be vague in regards to what to do to be consistently good at surviving nearly every variety of enemy encounters. Learning to read you enemies, being both unpredictable and predictable in encounters, predicting enemy decisions/movement, gaining map/weapon/enemy spawn control, when and how to engage an enemy while still being prepared to suffer a few dreaded off-host games every now and then is key to consistency in Gears 2. :)

Regarding where I boldedI also was able to improve my game along with the help a group of friends who are decent at Gears and are on just about the same level of understanding of the games mechanics as I am, also they use mics well. If I'm ever online and have an extra slot, I wouldn't mind inviting you along for the ride if you'd like. I'm East Coast btw.

Ben2749 said:
Is the event still running? Anybody up for some KotH boosting now?
Ben2749
(Today, 09:01 AM)
Reply | Quote

Labor Day Event officially ended @ 9AM EST. Sorry bro.

No worries. I've actually just played a few games, and went from 53 to 77. I'm still on the Gears menu right now, so I could keep going if I wanted, but I don't want to give up my whole day to this, as it's boring (and besides, it got the the point where douchebags kept ruining it by killing everybody when they got bored/after they had got their 200+ defense turn).

I'm just going to wait until the next special event, and hopefully the XP bonus will be even higher.

see5harp

Went from 47 to 72 over the weekend and didn't do a single KOTH match. I'm actually better than I ever was when I was playing regularly.

see5harp said:
Went from 47 to 72 over the weekend and didn't do a single KOTH match. I'm actually better than I ever was when I was playing regularly.

I wish I enjoyed the game enough to have levelled up legit, but I don't. Outside of Horde, I find Gears 2 multiplayer gets dull to me pretty fast.

bumpkin

Hey, I don't know if anyone has posted somewhere about this, but Rod said if RAAM wins the current round of GameSpot's "Greatest Villain" they'll be doing a 30x XP event...

http://tinyurl.com/2voh3ej

Go! Vote! And tell all of your friends to do the same!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well, RAAM won - 30x XP it is - I voted some days ago and RAAM was down by a good bit, shows you how rampant the fan base was to turn it around and still win.

You'd be out of your mind to miss out on this, and if you want to know what you'd be missing out on, read my earlier post about how the insane amount of XP you can earn in KOTH, then remember that it applied to "just" 20x XP, and now the next event will be 30 f'ing times XP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't know what the deal is with multipliers, or why you should care, but I'm a gonna play some Gears soon. If anyone is down with Horde hit me up @ Tigerstyle86. I might dabble in some competitive but I suck so bad. You're all probably playing Reach anyways...

Brakara

Skilotonn said:
You'd be out of your mind to miss out on this, and if you want to know what you'd be missing out on, read my earlier post about how the insane amount of XP you can earn in KOTH, then remember that it applied to "just" 20x XP, and now the next event will be 30 f'ing times XP.

So when is this next event?

@GearsViking said:
4x XP from October 12 to 28, also... in honor of Halloween, earn an amazing 31x XP from October 29 to November 1!

Seems about that time to get back into some Gears. All Fronts is also on sale for $5 this week to celebrate Gears 2 coming to Games on Demand. Hell of a deal.

see5harp

Ben2749 said:
Anybody up for playsing some games? I don't have the extra maps, so I can't join Social games, because Epic don't know how to make a decent fucking matchmaking service.

My GT is BENJO KAZ00IE (that's two zeroes in Kaz00ie)

Buy the maps I think they are on sale for $5.

Infinity

Very LTTP here, but I just finished the single player game. It's been on my backlog for ages.

I enjoyed the ending, but there were parts in the middle that felt like filler. (bad filler)

All in all, a good game, but I'm doubtful that Gears 3 will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

firehawk12 said:
I take it that no one is playing Horde mode anymore?
Hell yeah I do, I do NOT play vs I only play horde.
Ow yeah more XP!
YES !!!!! I WANT TO PLAY HORDE !!! :D:D:D:D next week I have a few hours between work so hopefully I can get some extra time in.

But I want normal waves of enemies :O.

zaidr

Is anyone playing this game anymore? I tried to join some social games, but after searching for 2 mins, it keeps putting me in a game fully populated with bots.
And if I try going into a ranked game, it never finds a game. Sat around looking for one for 10 minutes before giving up.

Is there a specific time, or day I should try and get a few games in?

zaidr said:
Is anyone playing this game anymore? I tried to join some social games, but after searching for 2 mins, it keeps putting me in a game fully populated with bots.
And if I try going into a ranked game, it never finds a game. Sat around looking for one for 10 minutes before giving up.

Is there a specific time, or day I should try and get a few games in?
Most people only play during big XP weekends nowadays. At least that's what it seems like.

They also have a region filter in the game, so if you're in Europe you'll only end up with people from Europe. The few players that still play regularly are probably mostly from US.

MjFrancis

I partook in Horde mode online last night for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed myself - I can't fathom why I've neglected this mode of play. I'll host a game tonight since both hosts quit on me last night. It would be nice to go through a map from beginning to end, plus I've little idea where I'm at on the "Hoard the Hoard" achievement - I think I have levels 8-15 and levels 31-41 left to do. I would know for certain if I'd check my available starting waves.

Unregistered007 said:
Gave up at Level 56. This game is not worth Level 100.

But they're doing so much XP boosts, and I ended up getting LVL 100 when they had their FIRST double XP boost, so it's certainly obtainable.

bumpkin

DTLIONS1013 said:
Isnt there supposed to be an Annex achievement playlist this weekend?
Yeah, it's a 31x XP event for Halloween... Rod Fergusson said something about all the enemies on foot having Lancers and there being no "chainsaw interrupt" as a "chainsaw massacre" theme.

I'm hoping I can cash in some on the event this weekend and get to 100. I think I left off at level 78 or 79 at the last event because I simply ran out of time (had a million things to do that weekend).

MjFrancis

I might have to go for the Annex achievement instead! I'm still sitting at level 9, so I'm pretty much a noob to Gears online. I only played online for the first few days after I originally beat the campaign in 2008, so it pretty much feels like I've started from scratch.

bumpkin

MjFrancis said:
I might have to go for the Annex achievement instead! I'm still sitting at level 9, so I'm pretty much a noob to Gears online. I only played online for the first few days after I originally beat the campaign in 2008, so it pretty much feels like I've started from scratch.
Well, in a perfect world we'd be able to get together with eight of our friends and do KOTH rounds. Those pretty much yield the most bang for your XP buck if done right. The tricky part is coordinating a time since it seems like usually everyone's schedules are all over the place; especially with this weekend being a holiday. At any rate, if you're interested, my gamertag is DaveB1980

I guess I may as well put out the APB... Anyone else interested in joining our merry band for some XP pillaging? :D

zaidr said:

i had that problem too until i changed my location from Canada to the US, I then was able to join game sessions.

another thing i did was connect my xbox straight to the modem to see if that fixed the long wait times and it did, it also increased the time i would get host. obviously it was my router causing problems so i set the 360 to DMZ and haven't had any problems since. the NAT test for live would always be open but for some reason i couldn't connect to various game/people until i removed the router or set up my dmz/ports

MjFrancis

Wow, that was quick - went from a level 11 to a level 18 with one annex match. I heard it gets rather slow on the top end of things, but for now, I'm happy. :D

Minamu

MjFrancis said:
Wow, that was quick - went from a level 11 to a level 18 with one annex match. I heard it gets rather slow on the top end of things, but for now, I'm happy. :D
If you boost, I wouldn't be surprised if you're at lvl 70+ after one koth match :D

MjFrancis

No boosting, but I've got to level 36 playing off and on this evening. Either Annex or Horde. Probably three hours worth of play, so not bad for a noob. The trouble is that I've been disconnected by the host for one reason or another about half the time, so that's a bummer.

The map rotations are really strange, too. I was under the impression that social matches included DLC-specific playlists, but that clearly isn't the case!

Ballistik

MjFrancis said:
No boosting, but I've got to level 36 playing off and on this evening. Either Annex or Horde. Probably three hours worth of play, so not bad for a noob. The trouble is that I've been disconnected by the host for one reason or another about half the time, so that's a bummer.

The map rotations are really strange, too. I was under the impression that social matches included DLC-specific playlists, but that clearly isn't the case!
I'm pretty sure social matches are under a random map rotation right now as part of the event. Normally, it goes in alphabetic order with all of the maps included.

Top Bottom