• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

JAGMASK

Does anyone know what affects the enemy make up of waves in horde. Usually I know that wave 1 has nothing but shepherds and trackers, but yesterday I hosted a private game with my brother and there were juvies, explosive trackers and DR1s from the start.

I usually find the early waves pretty dull so was enjoying the fast paced new waves. The thing is, I started another game on the same map but it was back to slow shepherds and trackers and I have no idea what I did differently.

Does anyone know what affects the enemy make up of waves in horde. Usually I know that wave 1 has nothing but shepherds and trackers, but yesterday I hosted a private game with my brother and there were juvies, explosive trackers and DR1s from the start.

I usually find the early waves pretty dull so was enjoying the fast paced new waves. The thing is, I started another game on the same map but it was back to slow shepherds and trackers and I have no idea what I did differently.

Don't play much Horde but from what I read they implemented the Feral Horde waves into regular Horde. I assume it's just random which one you get.

Marvel

could never
Returned to Xbox this past week, been playing a lotta gears. So nice to see Security again.

Hyped for the new skins.

Security is not a great map for king of the hill. Too many choke points and grenades don't spawn fast enough to help disperse the team holding a spot.

Montresor

Anyone also find that Security is not fun for Horde?

Last month I played like probably 500 waves of horde in one week with the developer's playlist, because of how amazing Slab and Hotel were.

I haven't played Dawn yet. Hopefully I can try that tonight.

Montresor

Did they increase the difficulty of horde mid weekend?

On Friday I got through 50 waves no problem on hardcore (on the developer's playlist).

On Saturday night and all of Sunday it was a struggle. Wiping early on multiple times caused one of our groups to disband at wave 19. And one time we were forced to give up at wave 40.

Another time we almost had to give up at wave 42, broke. But through Looking For Group we got a barrier engineer which helped us scratch and claw our way to wave 50.

It just sucks because wiping even once completely fucks the class experience you get. It was really really frustrating. I'm trying to level up my Sniper to 10 (he's at 9 now) and then I'll have the Stay Classy achievement. Couldn't muster much experience this weekend. And there's only one day left of developer's playlist: today. :/

Azerare

It doesn't feel any different. Still as spongy as ever.

I'm not sure the Gnasher is even the issue anymore. The game is plagued by region hoppers and Mexicans and it's going to negatively impact the game until TC actually puts their foot down on it.
Are Mexicans an actual force in the game? I thought it was just coincidence that I was getting destroyed by em.

I wish they would put out more classic characters instead of zombie variants...
That and locust side really needs skorge and the queen.

Are Mexicans an actual force in the game? I thought it was just coincidence that I was getting destroyed by em.

I wish they would put out more classic characters instead of zombie variants...
That and locust side really needs skorge and the queen.

Yeah, been that way for years now, ever since Gears 2. Majority of them have really terrible connections and just sponge everything.

Mupod

picked this up on PC a few days ago. Since campaign has a massive memory leak (have to restart constantly) and nobody seems to be able to tell me what's wrong, I focused on horde instead. It said there was an event so I made 150 waves my goal.

Oh my god why is everyone so terrible? Is it because I'm playing casual/normal? I wanted to build up my class skills and learn the ropes, but it seems like every match is full of people who are so bad they have to be trolling. I try saving weapons but most of the time someone just grabs them out of the stash and fires them into the sky. Everyone runs off in random directions and dies because they are standing in enemy spawns far from revives. By wave 9 I'm fighting for my life, god help us on boss waves.

I figured by now I'd have a good sense of common strategies, but I still have no idea where the fabricator is supposed to go on any map. Whenever I *think* I know of a good spot, someone flips his shit and starts shooting/punching me then drags it off into the middle of nowhere. Or grenades himself and leaves.

On that subject, I've never made it to wave 10 without leavers. 50% of the time the match never even gets going because everyone leaves immediately. I've made it to level 20 a few times but everyone leaves after that - understandable I guess since the bounties are for wave 20. Although I've had my 1-20 horde bounty equipped since the start and it never actually works, it only seems to count up maybe 10% of the time and of course we always fail those.

I don't claim to be a pro at Gears or anything. I don't even like vs mode. I just played a good amount of horde in 2-3, and randoms weren't amazing at those, but this is just crazy. I usually play sniper and feel kind of railroaded into it because it takes so long to level classes, I might as well stick with the one that I do best on. I tried playing as engineer a few times but I end up having to find an embar and snipe the big guys because people just walk up and get murdered by them if I don't. Since I don't have upgrades for building cheaper/better stuff it seems like a waste of time if all I end up doing as an engineer is sniping. Also people pick up and randomly move around everything I build, I've given up even trying.

Cant believe i still play this game, several months later...

IMB_pSxdrL.gif

Zojirushi

I forget, did previous Gears games have a down but not out mechanic in Solo Singleplayer?

Playing on Hardcore but it feels kinda cheap since you have to try really hard or be very unlucky to actually fail.

gamz

Finished it last night and it was really fun. Enjoyed, but I agree the writing was average. It really is like a TFA reboot. Looking forward to the next.

Montresor

Any GAFers still play? Looking for a horde group because doing matchmaking isn't even worth the time, everyone just quits by wave 5

I've done dozens of runs from 1-50 using purely Looking For Group.

Don't use matchmaking - always use Looking For Group.

watership

Finally playing through the campaign. Love it so far. Them... Act IV: get out. Most frustraighting level I've played in a gears game. Snatchers grab dynamic is messed up when your AI can't get it together. Feels almost broken.

Ballistik

Any GAFers still play? Looking for a horde group because doing matchmaking isn't even worth the time, everyone just quits by wave 5

I do, but not horde! I've been playing a lot of Escalation. I find it weird how no matter win or lose, my tier percentage is stuck at 56%. I don't think that's normal because I've gone on both winning and losing streaks, and while my friends keep checking and say how they gained or lost percentage points, I don't move. but I won't complain because it's 56% on Diamond haha.

Anyone know if Gears will be getting a 4K update?

Yes it was mentioned in the conference, it was posted on Gear's Facebook page (along with a six minute interview with Rod Fergusson regarding the 4K update), and it's on the front page of Gears of War website.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/gears-4-xbox-one-x

ACE 1991

So how's the MP community? Still pretty big? Thinking of picking up the PC version since it's on sale and now has competitive crossplay.

I always wondered why gears is not as popular as halo on these forums. Cant make it past 1 ot while halo is on no. 25
So how's the MP community? Still pretty big? Thinking of picking up the PC version since it's on sale and now has competitive crossplay.
No problem finding a game, its live and kicking. Gears 4 is incredible experience would highly recommend it

Montresor

Man I ruined the latest update for myself. Fucking ruined it.

There is a glitch in Horde that lets you get infinite power with two Scouts. The idea is in round 1, get 10+ million power, then you can Hammer Of Dawn your way to piss easy victory.

I used that to get all the new Horde achievements. Beat 1-50 on every class with Inconceivable and Ironman.

But I'm reminiscing now about the awesome journey I took in Feb-May playing hundreds and hundreds of legit waves on Hardcore and Insane, beating 1-50 on insane with every class, leveling up each class to 10, etc... I wish I did the same with Inconceivable and Ironman 1-50 waves. Maybe Inconceivable would be a huge pain but certainly Ironman on Hardcore would've been doable.

*shrug* Oh well. I've put hundreds of hours into the campaign and horde already and loved pretty much all of it. I can't help but feel a bit guilty and basically grabbing the new horde achievements like freebies.

Grisby

Got a Aspho UIR female skin and suddenly I want want more steampunk in my Gears. One of the first skins that I would say looks good. Outside of the standard cog armor and main characters.
Not sure about the cross play stuff since I haven't tried it yet, but it's real easy to get games going on X1.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about downloading Gears 4 finally on Win 10 after buying it at launch. Had a ton of problems with the Windows store but im finally able to download it now in one sitting.

How does Crossplay work? Is it something you have to turn on/off on XBone? Do alot of players use it on console still? And does Horde mode have a crossplay option on Windows 10?

Theorry

Thinking about downloading Gears 4 finally on Win 10 after buying it at launch. Had a ton of problems with the Windows store but im finally able to download it now in one sitting.

How does Crossplay work? Is it something you have to turn on/off on XBone? Do alot of players use it on console still? And does Horde mode have a crossplay option on Windows 10?

Xbox One players have a toggle for it yeah. Not sure how many people use it. But it gave a nice boost when they introduced it. And yeah Horde has crossplay. No toggle for that. Its always on.

Vic_Viper

Finally got Gears of War downloaded on Win 10 last night! Man it looks awesome on Ultra with 60fps, such an improvement from Gears on 360 lol.

So how do I set up Cross-Play? I cant find it in the options anywhere and there isnt a Cross-Play lobby in MP? Ive played 1 match so far and it said options would be available after the match but it doesnt look like anything extra was added.

Also, how do the cards work? Are they a one time use kinda thing or do you keep them? For example, I have 1 that says Headshot kills cause the enemy to explode. Should I save it for when im ready to use it, or can I equip and unequip it at any time?

Not convinced it'll do much but I'll try it out anyway I guess.

Seems like the Gnasher has only gotten worse as this game has gone along. Like, it's pretty bad when the launch Gnasher that fired ghost bullets 20% of the time might actually be the best version we've had in Gears 4.

Reckoner

Seems like the Gnasher has only gotten worse as this game has gone along. Like, it's pretty bad when the launch Gnasher that fired ghost bullets 20% of the time might actually be the best version we've had in Gears 4.

That's the way of Gears since the first one. Only getting worse as updates release.

Strootman

So I just wanted to play some matches after 2-3 months I haven't played.

And holy fucking shit!!! There is a 25GB patch to download. This is a joke! This game takes 110 GB of my hard drive. How is this allowed from Microsoft?!? Am I downloading a new campaign that I'm not aware of? Or is this just some bullshit maps?

Vic_Viper

Since this thread was updated Ill ask again. How do I pick the Cross-Play option for Multiplayer? I dont see it anywhere, is it just always Cross-Play now?

aBarreras

i swear that the gnasher was beautiful during the beta testing of "this" new gnasher, they did something wrong, like really wrong

Golden Gun is the best event they've had so far in this game in my opinion. Genuinely wouldn't mind seeing it turned into a permanent mode.

it pretty fun. at first i had no clue as to what the hell was going on with the long reload and hip fire only. although my experience was hampered by the fact that i was stuck on 5v2 for 2 games straight.

The Theron Packs kind of suck, i wasted 4,000 credits and got 2 character skins were not Therons. i feel robbed

Darkone

So good to play gears MP after so long, would like to add some gaffers to the friend list.

My ID is: Biablo
playing PC version

Top Bottom