• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 08/27/08

ColR100

randomwab said:
Says the guy with a Matt Bellamy avatar.
Haha, well played.......and I'm a Muse fan. :lol

Cheers for this weeks GFW guys, last weeks one was just epic.

And Shawn - Not sure if you found out or not, but you were comparing Ryan to some character out of a teen comedy film. The film was Road Trip, and I have to say, first time I heard Ryan's voice I pictured the guy.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Btw, Vagabond's an adaptation of Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi novel, not the Book of Five Rings (which was Musashi's own writing).

randomwab

immy said:
At least bellamy delivers now and again though, recent stuff with the streets is behond terrible though.

Say what? Either way, I'm a huge Muse fan, have every album and seen them live.

Hearing Shawn and Anthony always talking about CoH makes me sad. I bought it a few months back but after a lot of online problems, looking on the Relic forums has pretty much shown me that because I live in the UK, and with my ISP, I simply can't play online. :(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Heh, I just finished reading Preacher the other day (extremely impressed), and I was looking at other Ennis stuff myself, including that Punisher omnibus Anthony mentioned. Just picked up Punisher Max vol 1-2, Punisher Max: Born, 303, and Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits (all Ennis works).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
His War Stories and Adventures of the Rifle Brigade are good as well. The latter is basically a WW2 story but in the tone of Preacher.

Nizz

I forgot.... is Shawn is going to PAX this week? And a shorter GFW is better than none at all! ;)

EviLore said:
Heh, I just finished reading Preacher the other day (extremely impressed), and I was looking at other Ennis stuff myself, including that Punisher omnibus Anthony mentioned. Just picked up Punisher Max vol 1-2, Punisher Max: Born, 303, and Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits (all Ennis works).
You should really check Ennis's last Punisher story arc after reading all that, among that his Judge Dredd work is pretty good as well. Also his new on-going series The Boys, will outpreach The Preacher according to him, so far it's pretty damn entertaining.

Oh he's also doing the new Dan Dare comic which is pretty cool if you're a fan of the character.

immy

Banned
randomwab said:
Say what? Either way, I'm a huge Muse fan, have every album and seen them live.

Hearing Shawn and Anthony always talking about CoH makes me sad. I bought it a few months back but after a lot of online problems, looking on the Relic forums has pretty much shown me that because I live in the UK, and with my ISP, I simply can't play online. :(

listen to this and weep http://muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=33134

looking foward to this weeks gfw, get me through diy this weekend

Mindlog

Linkzg said:
Is that really a kid there, or is Ryan just huffing on helium or something?

He's been on 1UP FM and 1UP Show last week I believe. He has cancer or something, getting his make-a-wish.

Review Time:
Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Overrated, but not terrible. Solid concepts with middling execution.

hey-o

Mad Men is getting to be as solid as Breaking Bad.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The fact that you guys are talking exclusively about american comics when there's this big treasure of european stuff, especially from Belgium, makes you guys seem a bit uninformed concerning comics. I'm sure that's a false impression. If not, you should look into that :D

FartOfWar

Banned
Yes there is Warhead talk. What's this about The Boys? I haven't seen it. Who is drawing it?

--sitting at the airport actually working on my comic script

eznark

Banned
Robert, I was just about to send a very angry email to Wired for having the audacity to teach people how to cheat themselves out of an excellent workout using the Nintendo Wii gaming machine when I saw your name attached and was ashamed. As a Berkley hippie, you should know that if we don't all come together and help each other live the lives we deem best, then society fails. Fat people are the epitome of fail, and you are enabling them.

I am disgusted that you have robbed these obese individuals of the joys of exercise.

For shame sir, for shame.

skip

distrbnce said:
If that happened every week there wouldn't be a GFW :(

Put it up plz.

not all rambling is publishable rambling.

*puts the cut portions into the vault, never to be heard*

FartOfWar

Banned
wmat said:
The fact that you guys are talking exclusively about american comics when there's this big treasure of european stuff, especially from Belgium, makes you guys seem a bit uninformed concerning comics. I'm sure that's a false impression. If not, you should look into that :D

Blah blah blah. I have tons of euro books. First-rate art, often second class storytelling. But yeah I have all of Gimenez's stuff, Enki Bilal, Frezzato, Moebius, Jodorowsky, etc. I'll take recommendations but find me one as good as Chris Ware. Manara doesn't count.

Edit: What the fuck? Ennis is an Irishman. Inoue is Japanese. Sacco is the one American I mentioned.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
wmat said:
The issue with Euro comics is that there's very little being distributed here. Some publishers will dabble (Marvel currently has a small line of reprinted French stuff) but it always falls pretty flat and then inevitably goes dormant. Perhaps it's time for a comic swap in the same vein as the candy one?

VaLiancY

Shawn and Rory's impressions of Battlefield Heroes is up on 1UP. A real good read and an even better if you're a beta tester like myself. I agree with Rory's complaints since the basic concept of balance that DICE has been preaching since the 42' days is pretty much thrown out the window(despite it being fucked where Shawn goes into detail about).

But yeah, it's Brodeo time bitches.

FartOfWar

Banned
Shig said:
The issue with Euro comics is that there's very little being distributed here. Some publishers will dabble (Marvel currently has a small line of reprinted French stuff) but it always falls pretty flat and then inevitably goes dormant. Perhaps it's time for a comic swap in the same vein as the candy one?

Yeah, if there's any translated stuff outside of the classics, Inhumanoid's library, and other such stuff let us know. Any comics about Moroccan immigrants, for example?

FartOfWar

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Shawn and Rory's impressions of Battlefield Heroes is up on 1UP. A real good read and an even better if you're a beta tester like myself. I agree with Rory's complaints since the basic concept of balance that DICE has been preaching since the 42' days is pretty much thrown out the window(despite it being fucked where Shawn goes into detail about).

But yeah, it's Brodeo time bitches.
What do you think the ramifications of allowing us to change character builds between spawns would be? It sucks needing to log off to change builds to cope with your opponents habits then logging back on only to end up in another server running another map. Sure if only clans played I can see the merit in forcing teams to come in with an array of builds designed for flexibility and then have to stick with what they've selected, but this is supposed to be a game that Joe Blow jumps into from his office or wherever.

dLMN8R

FartOfWar said:
What do you think the ramifications of allowing us to change character builds between spawns would be? It sucks needing to log off to change builds to cope with your opponents habits then logging back on only to end up in another server running another map. Sure if only clans played I can see the merit in forcing teams to come in with an array of builds designed for flexibility and then have to stick with what they've selected, but this is supposed to be a game that Joe Blow jumps into from his office or wherever.
I think it would be an interesting twist, for sure. Right now my major issue with the game is just how surprisingly unintuitive it all actually is. Quake Live (just got into that beta too) seems to be a much better-designed package, with everything integrated right into the browser and far less loading.

I don't really thing the key here is allowing people to change load-outs between rounds, but rather giving people an easier method of changing load-outs without needing to exit out of the whole thing.

Overall though, those are probably just beta-related issues that will eventually be addressed.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
FartOfWar said:
Blah blah blah. I have tons of euro books. First-rate art, often second class storytelling. But yeah I have all of Gimenez's stuff, Enki Bilal, Frezzato, Moebius, Jodorowsky, etc. I'll take recommendations but find me one as good as Chris Ware. Manara doesn't count.
I'll happily recommend some good stuff, although from what you write, it seems you know a lot of it. Anyway, here goes:

- Hugo Pratt, especially Corto Maltese
- Matthias Schultheiss
- Storm by Don Lawrence; I'm more fond of The Chronicles of the Deep World, but that's a matter of taste
- Valentina by Guido Crepax - NSFW because it's sexually explicit; you seem to dig Manara, that style is similar
- Thierry Smolderen's works; I enjoy Gipsy a lot, to name an example
- E. P. Jacobs

If you're after good storytelling, Hugo Pratt will make you happy.
Gipsy is a rather modern comic and got weaker with the later episodes, it's still good though.

Edit: What the fuck? Ennis is an Irishman. Inoue is Japanese. Sacco is the one American I mentioned.
Didn't know about Ennis; seems I missed the part about Inoue. Apologies.

FartOfWar

Banned
dLMN8R said:
I think it would be an interesting twist, for sure. Right now my major issue with the game is just how surprisingly unintuitive it all actually is. Quake Live (just got into that beta too) seems to be a much better-designed package, with everything integrated right into the browser and far less loading.

I don't really thing the key here is allowing people to change load-outs between rounds, but rather giving people an easier method of changing load-outs without needing to exit out of the whole thing.

Overall though, those are probably just beta-related issues that will eventually be addressed.

I'm asking what happens when they let us change our characters/builds between spawns not rounds. The current set up is a design choice not a beta bug. It has to do with the way that the game tracks stats per character.

VaLiancY

FartOfWar said:

I don't want to go into detail about the game since I've already been told to keep mum about it. I'll agree also with another of your points that there is going to be a competitive level to some degree, it maybe not like the one we see in CS, TF2 or any of your FPS. I just fear the competitive players are going to "scare" off that Joe Blow who wants to relax after a day in the office only to take refuge in his or her collection of pop cap games.

dLMN8R

FartOfWar said:
I'm asking what happens when they let us change our characters/builds between spawns not rounds. The current set up is a design choice not a beta bug. It has to do with the way that the game tracks stats per character.
Yeah, that's what I gathered. Honestly, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. Since none of the abilities have effects that last beyond a matter of seconds, I don't see how changing characters or builds between spawns would be any different from simply having someone else with different characters or builds join into your game around the same time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Heh, I tried the Gunner with Frenzy maxed out and it's just silly, seems quite a lot of people in the beta are doing exactly the same thing.

I agree that Quake Live is a much better designed package, but then it's an established game and they're just making it work through a browser. Rather than making a whole new game, and having to deal with the issues from that.

Edit: They're being pretty stingy with invites at the moment, atleast giving current beta testers invites, currently the only way to get an invite (to hand out) is through 'tournaments' they run every so often.

I thought they were going to announce give aways for Battlefield Heroes. I got excited for a second there.

OmniAvenger said:
Please tell me you're joking. Someone hasn't listened to 1UP FM.

I didn't listen to the Psychonauts talk at the end, but whate else was there?

madmook

Mindlog said:
He's been on 1UP FM and 1UP Show last week I believe. He has cancer or something, getting his make-a-wish.
What? Is this some other "inside joke" or something?

Its sounds like that community manager Tina.

Top Bottom