• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Waypoint is basically the smart kids of GB trying their own thing.

I'm treating it like bonus GB material. They make some pretty good videos, I've enjoyed their recent twitch streams.

I'd assume that waypoint is doing their own E3 stuff.

Bet he's a guest for one of the nights though.

Oh, I'm sure him and the rest will be on. I'd like him on the streams where they talk over the conferences. Last year's was fun. It made watching the E3 and Ubisoft shows bearable.

taoofjord

Rorie seems like a good guy but I have a really difficult time following what he's saying.

Ben is fantastic. I love his sense of humor and how generally happy and goofy he is. He's a great addition to the team.

Will continues to be great as well. Super happy he's been able to come onto the podcast so frequently. It'd be awesome if he became a regular.

Skyzard

Banned
Ben made a few too many random blood moon (zelda) "jokes". Worried about him a tiny bit but he's doing great so far.

valeo

Rorie is an admin. He has a lot of work to do and tries his best, even with anxiety, in front of cameras, bright lights and a live audience while keeping up with chat, the game in progress and the conversation. I'm gonna give the dude some slack for sometimes talking too much. I'd probably be the same, and he's clearly quite nice.

This. This should be the last opinion said about the topic in this thread as it sums it up succinctly.

These dudes read this thread - this shit isn't 'constructive criticism' - it's character assassination and/or immature insults.

Anyone know what version of The Surge they were playing on the Playdate? Want to know whether to get the pc or Xbox version and if that was the Xbox version I'd be alright with it.

Edit: never mind, just got to a part of the stream where they said it's the PC version.

igjh4fu3p.png

Carpenter knows what's up.

i don't think theres anyone on gb that i've ever disliked or even was legitimately annoyed by.

Same here.
This. This should be the last opinion said about the topic in this thread as it sums it up succinctly.

These dudes read this thread - this shit isn't 'constructive criticism' - it's character assassination and/or immature insults.

Maybe the "Don't be a jerk" thing should make a comeback.

Catvoca

Banned
Rorie is an admin. He has a lot of work to do and tries his best, even with anxiety, in front of cameras, bright lights and a live audience while keeping up with chat, the game in progress and the conversation. I'm gonna give the dude some slack for sometimes talking too much. I'd probably be the same, and he's clearly quite nice.

oko7hqj6.gif

Tubobutts

"Brad is so hardheaded and terrible at games lol"
"Jeff seemed to be a jaded husk of a man today. After going through his Twitter timeline and Facebook photos, and crossreferencing with the DSM-5, I'm fairly certain I can diagnose Jeff and recommend some lifestyle changes."
"Patrick is such a shit writer. I hope he stays in Chicago, the Bombcast is better if he's gone."

Those are basically average posts nowadays.

strafer

i was watching the interview with Ken Levine by Jeff and Patrick and people seem to hate Patrick in that interview.

Catvoca

Banned
GB gaf now is just

"Ugh, I hate this content with x."
"Oh, I actually think x is awesome."
"Fucking hell, why do you white knight all the Gb members? You people who constantly defend them are the worst."

demidar

"Brad is so hardheaded and terrible at games lol"
"Jeff seemed to be a jaded husk of a man today. After going through his Twitter timeline and Facebook photos, and crossreferencing with the DSM-5, I'm fairly certain I can diagnose Jeff and recommend some lifestyle changes."
"Patrick is such a shit writer. I hope he stays in Chicago, the Bombcast is better if he's gone."

Those are basically average posts nowadays.

Jerk Inflation is a bitch.

Meneses

Couldn't disagree more.

People should be able to voice their opinions on whatever makes content better or worse for them.

It is important to not be a jerk about it, which is a line that is crossed more often than it should, to be honest, but if one of the members of a personality based website is impacting your enjoyment, you should be able to say it.

Some people don't like Dan's antics and faux/real-ignorance, other are amused by it. Some people hate Ben's voice, others think he's great, some people don't like Rorie's quirks, others love them.

In my case, I can't deal with Rorie in GB content, and I know he's a lovely guy because I spoke to him a few times through GB Support and i'm aware of all his work behind the scenes. The fact that I don't like his onscreen presence doesn't mean I hate him or wish anything bad to happen to him, but a lot of people seem to have trouble with this concept, as if everything is always either black or white.

On another note, I just completed Injustice 2's story mode. Really enjoyed it. Not sure if I prefer 1 or 2's more but they were both great.

Its a shame the clans are limited to 50 members though, I've tried joining a couple of Giant Bomb ones but they've been full every time.

It may be a bit bold, but I too feel like the thing that I agree with should always be the final comment on the matter.

Things tend to a go a lot more smoothly.

It's not like the Giant Bomb dudes don't constantly spit shit about other people. Dan dedicated an entire 30 minute video to taking a huge dump on David Jaffe just a month ago. They aren't what you would call nice people.

David Jaffe has been on the site before, he's assuredly aware of Giant Bomb's reaction to his latest work, but they treated Drawn to Death that way anyway because they're interacting with it as content.

The Giant Bomb dudes aren't my friends. They aren't my dads. They are a content provider. No, they don't owe me anything. No I don't expect them to change things to my desires. But I expect to be able to voice my opinion about the content they make in a neutral space.

Giant Bomb is innovative, but increasingly the only thing that separates Giant Bomb from any other video game site on the net is their personalities, so what is there to ever complain or comment about if not their personalities?

Their skill at games? But then that would be picking on Brad, wouldn't it?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The people who don't like rorie (or GBW really) sure love to voice it though.

Which is fine I guess, but at some points it feels like a dogpile that makes discussion by people who like it oppressive.

And then people defend the content, shittily too if I'm honest, and then a really shitty cycle of "no you" begins in this thread.

Which just sucks all round really.

I really want to go "if you don't like it don't come" but that's really not fair, because I'm assuming that the people who complain do so out of love of the site too, it's just that it's such a big hate circlejerk at times that it feels weird to come in and go "I like it" without really wanting to come off antagonistic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whenever this thread gets negative about any of the guys I just check out for a while. Its not good or fun or pleasant to be around. Which isn't to say there can't be content criticisms, but "ugh Rorie again?" is just lame

kingocfs

They aren't characters in a show. If you don't like someone, there's no need to continuously remind everyone every time they are in a video because that's just who they are. It's not constructive criticism, because they aren't listening and learning from your shitposting, it's just kinda trashy and brings the level of discourse down.

Antiwhippy

Whenever this thread gets negative about any of the guys I just check out for a while. Its not good or fun or pleasant to be around. Which isn't to say there can't be content criticisms, but "ugh Rorie again?" is just lame

I feel like a reason why this thread can feel super negative is that the people who like it just get put off by the people complaining constantly about the same things.

oti

Banned
You know, I could be watching like, a good movie or something, but instead I choose to watch that Fortune Street stream ya'll are talking about from time to time.

Because I value my time.

Meneses

Which is fine I guess, but at some points it feels like a dogpile that makes discussion by people who like it oppressive.

And then people defend the content, shittily too if I'm honest, and then a really shitty cycle of "no you" begins in this thread.

I really want to go "if you don't like it don't come" but that's really not fair, because I'm assuming that the people who complain do so out of love of the site too, it's just that it's such a big hate circlejerk at times that it feels weird to come in and go "I like it" without really wanting to come off antagonistic.

Well, some voice their displeasure about Rorie, others do it about Vinny's comedy bits or Backalar's kissing noises at the end of the Beastcast. It's all relative.

Rorie - you can add Ben to the mix, he has been a source of contention too - criticism comes up more often because they just show up more often in content.

"Don't like it, don't come" would actually be a valid dismissal if GB content was every member doing a separate thing by themselves, which would make it a lot easier for people to watch the stuff they love and ignore the stuff they don't. But the appeal of Giant Bomb has always been their group dynamics and 90% of their content is group based, so when people don't like one part of the group while still loving the others, it can be weird.

There's also the fact that some of these shows we are paying money to see. If I am paying for something and don't like what I see, I will talk about that.

Antiwhippy

Well, some voice their displeasure about Rorie, others do it about Vinny's comedy bits or Backalar's kissing noises at the end of the Beastcast. It's all relative.

Rorie - you can add Ben to the mix, he has been a source of contention too - criticism comes up more often because they just show up more often in content.

"Don't like it, don't come" would actually be a valid dismissal if GB content was every member doing a separate thing by themselves, which would make it a lot easier for people to watch the stuff they love and ignore the stuff they don't. But the appeal of Giant Bomb has always been their group dynamics and 90% of their content is group based, so when people don't like one part of the group while still loving the others, it can be weird.

Oh I know, like the stuff like people not liking certain people I'll just voice my support and why I like them. They're also not really that common. Just felt bigger today because of UPF (which I thought was fine.)

It's more when people go "if you like them you must be a fucking yes man" and "I don't fucking understand why you like them ugh I'm afraid to know how you think" where it really rankles me.

I'm more referring to the people constantly complaining about GBW streams. Like, it's been a weird non-stop competition with GBE for some reason. There are quite a few people who enjoy them but the discussion in this thread is always started as "ugh GBW *fart*", which makes it weird for the people enjoy them coming in from a defensive position.

Which is why I said it isn't fair to do the "don't like it, don't come" because they complain due to liking the site, and the fact that they paid for the whole package, but the whole vibe makes it hard not to have both sides coming off as antagonistic.

Which sucks.

You know, I could be watching like, a good movie or something, but instead I choose to watch that Fortune Street stream ya'll are talking about from time to time.

Because I value my time.

It's actually good. I watched it after the MARIO Party Party streams. It's a breath of fresh air to see them play a party game that requires skill. My phone autocorrected MARIO to be uppercase and who am I to argue.

Hasney

You should all be shouting at Square Enix to bring the next Fortune Street over. They're fantastic games, plus you get content. I mean come on, they brought Builders over.

Meneses

Oh I know, like the stuff like people not liking certain people I'll just voice my support and why I like them and move on. They're also not really that common. Just feel bigger today because of UPF (which I thought was fine.)

I'm more referring to the people constantly complaining about GBW streams. Like, it's been a weird non-stop competition with GBE for some reason. There are quite a few people who enjoy them but the discussion in this thread is always started as "ugh GBW *fart*", which makes it weird for the people enjoy them coming in from a defensive position.

Which is why I said it isn't fair to do the "don't like it, don't come" because they complain due to liking the site, and the fact that they paid for the whole package, but the whole vibe makes it hard not to have both sides coming off as antagonistic.

Which sucks.

The only solution is for GB to become a "Brad sings on demand with Vinny on guitar" website, that way we can all gather around a truly angelic thing and cleanse ourselves of all that is negative.

That reminds me, I dunno if anyone mentioned it but in the main "Videos" tab there is now a "Continue Watching" section right at the top. Any video you haven't finished will be listed there, so you can easily jump back into videos still in-progress.

I'm assuming you need to be logged in to see it, but maybe Premium too (not sure).
The only solution is for GB to become a "Brad sings on demand with Vinny on guitar" website, that way we can all gather around a truly angelic thing and cleanse ourselves of all that is negative.

Brad and Dan's singing voices are something I could never have prepared myself for. They're both incredible to hear.

...I really need to see that Christmas Rock Band(?) singing video.

bjork

Anyone know what version of The Surge they were playing on the Playdate? Want to know whether to get the pc or Xbox version and if that was the Xbox version I'd be alright with it.

Edit: never mind, just got to a part of the stream where they said it's the PC version.

I was literally reading this post in time with the part in the video where alex says it's PC version.

That's scary.

The PC version has been great for me, rock solid 60FPS with max settings on a i5-2500k/1070 and it's cheaper too, got for it for about $40.

jaina

oh cool, turboman can now post the Best ofs on his own. Another task taken from Vinny

edit: wait, he's the byline on almost every Best of since moving to the site. In that case the processing Vinny mentioned once is maybe still necessary. I'll ask once bionlcpuppy appears in here the next time.

Aselith

I'm not sure a thread in which a bunch of people defend Rorie as well as criticize him can feel like a "dogpile"

The content here is the people so discussing the people in the videos is a natural thing. They are running a personality based website. People don't need to be overly harsh but personality based discussions will and should happen.

bjork

Rorie seems like an okay dude, but he says "final fantasy ecks" and he talked shit on Dana Delaney the other day, so he'll never escape okay dude tier until he rectifies both of these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom