• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Primary Debate [Iowa 2016] It's over! Get me out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My assessment
1. Huckabee is just a horrible, horrible human being
2. Trump doesn't give a fuck. Fuck you, I'm Trump.
3. What is Rubio even doing there?
4. Kasich, you're in the wrong party stage.
5. Jeb Bush, look at my fantastic run at Florida
6. Carson, Naive foool who somehow became a neurosurgeon. "let's go back to Biblical administration"
7. Walker, his pants are on fire the whole time.
8. Christie. NJ was shit, but it was shittier before!
9. Rand Paul is Rand Paul!
10. Ted Cruz is Ted Cruz.

Winner: Trump

Agree with most of what you said except.... Rubio deserves to be there and could possibly offer a ton as a VP candidate running mate, and Carson is by no means a naive fool. He has simple yet convincing ideas. You dont become a neurosurgeon by being a idiot. I respect his calmness on a stage like that and I think he won over a ton of people.. probably not enought, but still.... he held his own.

All the top comments on fox's fb page is people calling them out about Trump. They making the beast strong.

Yes.... I would not be a bit suprised if his numbers soar. Americans might need a break from a real politician and instead opt for a celeberity that likes to talk shit and and speak his mind. I dont agree with everything he says...but I love his honesty and the fact that he says what he feels. It is refreshing!

ICKE

Banned
-Ted Cruz is the strongest ideologue, even more hard line than the likes of Huckabee or Santorum. When he says that he would open a case against the IRS and Planned parenthood after his first day in office, I actually believe it.
-Kasich was rather sympathetic, your friendly uncle kind of person who is not strong enough to lead the country but is apparently doing good work for his local constituents.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not an American so I don't follow American politics too closely, but I found the debate somewhat entertaining.

Trump seems like the bane of the Republican Party right now. I'm guessing they don't want to nominate him as leader, but he's left them with little choice but to do so.

Besides Trump, Kasich seemed to be the most sensible of the bunch. Rubio was a great speaker as well. Carson was a terrible speaker, but his closing statement was hilarious.

PBY

Banned
I'm not an American so I don't follow American politics too closely, but I found the debate somewhat entertaining.

Trump seems like the bane of the Republican Party right now. I'm guessing they don't want to nominate him as leader, but he's left them with little choice but to do so.

Besides Trump, Kasich seemed to be the most sensible of the bunch. Rubio was a great speaker as well. Carson was a terrible speaker, but his closing statement was hilarious.

The bolded is not true

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Agree with most of what you said except.... Rubio deserves to be there and could possibly offer a ton as a VP candidate running mate, and Carson is by no means a naive fool. He has simple yet convincing ideas. You dont become a neurosurgeon by being a idiot. I respect his calmness on a stage like that and I think he won over a ton of people.. probably not enought, but still.... he held his own.

Asking for a tithe system and advocating torture are convincing ideas now?

I'll give you simple.

I disagree.... The republican roster is a lot tuffer than the democratice party from top to bottom. If all the Democrats can bring to the table is Hiliary and Biden ... the the Democrats are in serious trouble.

Haha seriously? Hilary even being the boring candidate she is could wipe the floor with any of those clowns in a debate.

Also what convincing ideas does Ben Carson have?

Trump has a pretty simple line to victory: keep hammering home the point that all the other candidates are bought by special interests, and he only cares about restoring America to greatness (yes that doesn't mean anything but sounds good) and stay very vague about everything else. People have had this notion that politicians are bought and paid for a while now and here is a guy who clearly lays it out, saying he's done it a bunch of times.

Keep in mind in 2008 Obama won with 53% to 46%. 7% points against Senator Grim Reaper after 8 years of George Bush. That election brought out a ton of minorities, young people, progressives, etc who were super excited to be voting for the first black president, re-imagining Camelot / Kennedy.

While we'll get a sizable chunk who are into voting for the first female president it seems likely if its Hillary vs Trump then a big chunk of that younger democratic base may just stay home, not really caring who wins. In that scenario it tends to be the older, conservative voters who still go out every time. With most states always leaning one way or the other it'll come down again to the same 5 or 6 swing states.

Haha seriously? Hilary even being the boring candidate she is could wipe the floor with any of those clowns in a debate.

Also what convincing ideas does Ben Carson have?

I think you over estimate Hiliary. What has she done exactly? Aside from Benghazi and the email fuck up??? Oh, she stayed with her husband when he cheated on her.... grow a back bone. She is weak and in no way fit to run this country.

NewFresh

Yes.... I would not be a bit suprised if his numbers soar. Americans might need a break from a real politician and instead opt for a celeberity that likes to talk shit and and speak his mind. I dont agree with everything he says...but I love his honesty and the fact that he says what he feels. It is refreshing!

When I think off refreshing in politics, I think of ideas and policies. Not acting like a petulant child on stage because that's "real".

But, yeah, I love it when he calls my Mexican immigrant family rapists and murderers. His honesty is refreshing!

I still can't believe the question about God speaking to them got asked. Also on the off chance a republican does win please dear god let it be a big business one and not a social one.

Hey panel of grown men, please tell us your best ghost story! They should have passed out flash lights first so they could hold them under their chin during the response.

JJDubz

The political landscape in this country is not reliant on good ideas, facts, or being an actual human. Buzzwords. That's all that mattered last night. No one made any points, save for the occasional "Look what I did in _____, I can do that nationally." And even then it was clout, and half-truths about their actual implementation and 'success'.

The entire debate was each candidate rambling to try and fill a minute of time, with no ideas, no reason, and no substance.

injurai

Banned
Trump has a pretty simple line to victory: keep hammering home the point that all the other candidates are bought by special interests, and he only cares about restoring America to greatness (yes that doesn't mean anything but sounds good) and stay very vague about everything else. People have had this notion that politicians are bought and paid for a while now and here is a guy who clearly lays it out, saying he's done it a bunch of times.

Keep in mind in 2008 Obama won with 53% to 46%. 7% points against Senator Grim Reaper after 8 years of George Bush. That election brought out a ton of minorities, young people, progressives, etc who were super excited to be voting for the first black president, re-imagining Camelot / Kennedy.

While we'll get a sizable chunk who are into voting for the first female president it seems likely if its Hillary vs Trump then a big chunk of that younger democratic base may just stay home, not really caring who wins. In that scenario it tends to be the older, conservative voters who still go out every time. With most states always leaning one way or the other it'll come down again to the same 5 or 6 swing states.

I'll be honest, as this election goes on it seems to be narrowing down to Hillary vs Trump more and more. If Bernie does reach the general, maybe the Democratic vote will come out in force. But I think you'll see just as much opposition from the right cancelling any advantage.

When I think off refreshing in politics, I think of ideas and policies. Not acting like a petulant child on stage because that's "real".

But, yeah, I love it when he calls my Mexican immigrant family rapists and murderers. His honesty is refreshing!

I never said that I agreed with everything he said and you are entitled to vote or pull for whoever you wish. I am not even sure if Trump is who I want to pull for, but I respect his honesty. He will not back track or back down.
When you were younger ... and somebody said something that hurt your feelings.... did anybody ever say to you... "Hey, if in your heart you know its not true, then dont worry about it!"... same thing applies here. If your family is upstanding and doing what they should... dont let his comments offend you.

params7

Banned
The political landscape in this country is not reliant on good ideas, facts, or being an actual human. Buzzwords. That's all that mattered last night. No one made any points, save for the occasional "Look what I did in _____, I can do that nationally." And even then it was clout, and half-truths about their actual implementation and 'success'.

The entire debate was each candidate rambling to try and fill a minute of time, with no ideas, no reason, and no substance.

Pretty much. I've seen people say Trump doesn't have detailed policy answers on how he intends to go about accomplishing things he says he will. That's true, but neither does anyone else. Or at least I didn't see them talk about it last night.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Calling Hillary weak or spineless hits a new level of delusion.

She's by far one of the biggest and meanest snakes in the hill.

And I loathe her.

massoluk

Banned
I think you over estimate Hiliary. What has she done exactly? Aside from Benghazi and the email fuck up??? Oh, she stayed with her husband when he cheated on her.... grow a back bone. She is weak and in no way fit to run this country.

Clinton Foundation is legit foundation. Iran deal was partly her baby. She spent a lot of time abroad to improve foreign relations. She visit more countries than any secretary of state in US history, you don't see it now, but the result of her efforts will be long term

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Clinton question to me was interesting. Trump was the only one up there who didn't try to take any cheap shots at Clinton whenever given the chance. And here's a very specific loaded question for Trump to hurt Hillary, and he softballs a jokey answer that not only answered the question, but didn't hurt Hillary's campaign at all.

I said it earlier: Trump isn't a blood deep republican, and he has no real animosity towards the Clintons. That's what makes him even more dangerous to the republicans. If he get screwed by the GOP, the possibility of Hillary winning won't necessarily stop him from running third party just to fuck with them for revenge.

RDreamer

A step ahead of what exactly? Just because she lived in the white house for 8 years means squat. Her work over the last 8 years has been lackluster and to be honest her fuck ups have been costly.

Most of her 'fuck ups' have been manufactured outrages because Republicans knew she'd be running this cycle, so they tried to stick her with stupid shit early.

What are you talking about she leads in every poll currently? I think you've been watching Fox News for so long you don't have a clear picture of reality.

leads polls??? hahaha... that is funny. Just who is she leading over? Name me 5 people on the democratic ticket...

Also, for the record, I dont like Fox news

Varjis

Kasich and somewhat Bush were the only guys on stage I feel like aren't completely terrible politicians.

Both endorsed their histories better than anyone and had legitimate talking points that most conservatives and light moderates could stomach. Almost all of the rest of the stage was full of red meat ultra right wing rhetoric that is just going to scare off normals in the general election.

Good luck, GOP. You are going to need it to steer this clown car into inevitable oblivion.

I watched the debate mainly to observe the spectacle that is the Donald, but one thing I did take away was Kasich does appear to be one of the best hopefuls from a 'non-crazy' perspective. Granted he did have the home crowd behind him and I have no idea how the citizens of Ohio feel about him, but I actually liked how he handle the questions and he didn't seem out of touch with reality.

Honestly, his answer on gay marriage was probably the best you'd get from a Republican. He has his beliefs, but he respects the law, he actually attended a gay friends wedding and he seemed sincere with respecting the rights of others, unlike Walker, Cruz, Huckabee, etc.

Of course the one Republican I think is possibly worth a shot won't get it, (I thought Huntsman last election seemed alright, you know the "other" Mormon) it is always the overly rich guy or the crazy guy or the rich crazy guy. Probably doesn't matter for their party anyway, if Trump gets the nod they are toast, if Trump doesn't get the nod, he'll go third party and split the vote and they are toast.

marrec

Banned
A step ahead of what exactly? Just because she lived in the white house for 8 years means squat. Her work over the last 8 years has been lackluster and to be honest her fuck ups have been costly.

It's like you've lived in a completely different America for the last 16 years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You don't get that far in politics by being weak.

As a matter of fact, many other politicians would have been crushed under the same circumstances.

And having the Clinton surname is an extremely sharp double edged sword. That doesn't afford you shit among political ranks.

FiggyCal

Banned
You don't get that far in politics by being weak.

As a matter of fact, many other politicians would have been crushed under the same circumstances.

And having the Clinton surname is an extremely sharp double edged sword. That doesn't afford you shit among political ranks.

It's not really a two edge sword because it doesn't do anything but help her. No one would care who she was if she wasn't married to a very popular president. And the same with Bush also. Jeb is a nobody, except for the perks of being a Bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom