• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chef is tradition where I'm at, but it's usually casual. It's more comradery than formality. Like I said, where it works, it works. No ones expecting Alaska to sprout mango trees, It exists for a reason, and menus change for a reason.

Yeah, it works in California... Not many other places. Maybe Texas.

Edit: and fuck tradition. Those French assholes doomed a whole generation of culinary advancement to a mediocre melange of fussy fine dining.

ReAxion

When my brother (a trained chef) told me he couldn't stop laughing. I was in utter disbelief someone could be that fucking incompetent and still want to start a business.

It's why despite how dramatized it got I never thought that any of the US version was scripted. I absolutely believe people are just that woefully incompetent.

Yeah I never thought it was scripted. Some things are dramatized. Like, yes, Gordon, that bucket of putrid goo is going to make you want to vomit, so go ahead and sniff it anyway. But hey, that's TV. Or American TV, I guess. Show a dramatic clip to keep people through the commercial break.

But for instance, the Mama Rita's episode I watched yesterday; lady had a successful catering business then started a restaurant, ran it like a catering business (a year's worth of pre-assembled chimichangas in the freezer) and naturally it was terrible. Her "head chef" couldn't cook on a line, she just microwaved shit and assembled things out of prep trays.

Zomba13

UK version: a fairly genuine look into what makes a restaurant fail, and an earnest attempt to turn it around.
US version: a thinly digused version of Maury that happens to take place in a restaurant.

Basically. Though the US version can still be entertaining in its own ways.

Quixzlizx

tumblr_nofdvyJoV21qewacoo1_500.gif

I need to see this episode.

Aswell

Really like the show, but I also prefer the UK version over the US one that seems scripted sometimes.
Reading some comments in this thread made me want to have a look at some episodes I have not seen, such as Amy's Baking Company.

Not related to Gordon Ramsay but during an episode of the local version of Hotel Hell in my country, they explained that the owner of the hotel was so cheap that he refused to provide the cleaning staff with enough sponges. Just after that, they showed the room maid deeply cleaning the toilet bowl with a sponge... and then using the very same sponge to clean the glasses that some people use to rince their mouth after having brushed their teeth! (I don't know the proper term in English, by the way, if someone would kindly tell me...)
One of the most "ewww" TV moments of my life

Gordon got making shepherd's pie. He's the best.

The original version is good for being an actual program but the US version has the laughs. That music alone is comedy gold.

"Fuck me, look at this." (shows moldy food, long sharp note plays)

Venfayth

I've only watched the US shows and I don't think they're scripted but I do think clips are rearranged and taken out of context to create drama that may not really have been the same way when they filmed the show.

That being said, I don't really care. I'm not afraid of watching entertainment knowing that it's not displaying the whole truth. I don't really get why it's a hang up for some people.

Gordon is hilarious and people are hilariously incompetent.

windz

When I get sick or really bored Masterchef entertains me for hours. Got hooked on multiple episodes of Hell's Kitchen earlier in the year too. Need to get back into it/caught up. I think I marathoned 4 seasons of Masterchef lol.

Egocentric conflict "reality" gets higher ratings on US tv, so the US versions of shows play to that. There's a very noticeable ramping up of the ham factor over the seasons of Hell's Kitchen especially

Lamel

Banned
When I get sick or really bored Masterchef entertains me for hours. Got hooked on multiple episodes of Hell's Kitchen earlier in the year too. Need to get back into it/caught up. I think I marathoned 4 seasons of Masterchef lol.
Early master chef and Hell's Kitchen are great.

Later in Hell's Kitchen became too stupid; I swear they purposefully pick the trashiest people that apply.

Early master chef and Hell's Kitchen are great.

Later in Hell's Kitchen became too stupid; I swear they purposefully pick the trashiest people that apply.

They actually do pick lower tier chefs instead of people of the quality Ramsey would like because it adds more drama. They've admitted as such.

One of the guys who was kicked off mid-way through the first episode of his season for being so profoundly shit has a place he owns and runs right up the road from me.

It's pretty dismal lol.

In my top 10 episodes of all time for any show.

Edit: rewatching right now. 5 mins in and its already god tier.

The minute his food takes 2 hours to come out you can tell he realizes "Oh fuck what did I do"

old

They actually do pick lower tier chefs instead of people of the quality Ramsey would like because it adds more drama. They've admitted as such.

One of the guys who was kicked off mid-way through the first episode of his season for being so profoundly shit has a place he owns and runs right up the road from me.

It's pretty dismal lol.

The minute his food takes 2 hours to come out you can tell he realizes "Oh fuck what did I do"

I've long suspected the reason he gets so angry at Hells Kitchen contestants is that he actually truly does despise most of them. Most people have to put in a decade or more paying their dues working their way up to sous chef or longer for executive chef. But his contestants are mostly line cooks trying to take a short cut and skip the whole "paying dues" part. He resents them. He hates them.

And there is no way legitimate chefs cook that much shit raw. Seriously, every third piece of meat is under cooked. These rejects couldn't even hold a steady job at a regular restaurant and now they want to be an executive chef.... I agree with Ramsay. Fuck them.

I've long suspected the reason he gets so angry at Hells Kitchen contestants is that he actually truly does despise most of them. Most people have to put in a decade or more paying their dues working their way up to sous chef or longer for executive chef. But his contestants are mostly line cooks trying to take a short cut and skip the whole "paying dues" part. He resents them. He hates them.

And there is no way legitimate chefs cook that much shit raw. Seriously, every third piece of meat is under cooked. These rejects couldn't even hold a steady job at a regular restaurant and now they want to be an executive chef.... I agree with Ramsay. Fuck them.

Oh yeah, it's why on the rare occasions there are actually talented chefs who are consistent week in week out who don't make mistakes that would legit get you fired and blacklisted anywhere else, he praises them and they usually are the ones to get through to the end. That or one of the "I'm 20 I'm just doing this to learn from you" people.

But it's staggering how SO MANY "professional chefs" can't handle cooking a fucking scallop on a line to order. His active and clear contempt for "executive chefs" who can't cook is the only reason I still watch lol. It's cathartic.

Oh yeah, it's why on the rare occasions there are actually talented chefs who are consistent week in week out who don't make mistakes that would legit get you fired and blacklisted anywhere else, he praises them and they usually are the ones to get through to the end. That or one of the "I'm 20 I'm just doing this to learn from you" people.

But it's staggering how SO MANY "professional chefs" can't handle cooking a fucking scallop on a line to order. His active and clear contempt for "executive chefs" who can't cook is the only reason I still watch lol. It's cathartic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MAGfZ_hC6Y

Holy shit, I gotta get into this series!

It gets really, really stale after right about that season.

They become VERY repetitive.

But they are enjoyable for a while.

My favorite is the "private culinary instructor" whom he repeatedly calls a thief because she's so horrible lol.

It gets really, really stale after right about that season.

They become VERY repetitive.

But they are enjoyable for a while.

My favorite is the "private culinary instructor" whom he repeatedly calls a thief because she's so horrible lol.

I don't think they could even handle a service for 10. Jesus.

Nokterian

Gordon Ramsay youtube channel is even more great, he is really a cool guy watching him cook with his kids is fun thing to see. What i like most when he cooks at home he can be more creative and be himself.

It's pretty obvious for Hell's Kitchen they put in actors who act like dumbasses (Raj) and get yelled at for comic relief

Then there's the real people who are actually trying to cook. You can tell by seeing how Ramsey talks to the person if they make a mistake

It's pretty obvious for Hell's Kitchen they put in actors who act like dumbasses (Raj) and get yelled at for comic relief

Then there's the real people who are actually trying to cook. You can tell by seeing how Ramsey talks to the person if they make a mistake

Most likely that those are also actors that have been assigned the roles of Serious Players.

No they are all chefs, they all have certifiable credentials and everything that you can find pretty easily.

They are all mostly just, short order cooks, line cooks, prep cooks, personal cooks, etc etc.

Almost none of them have experience in fine dining, which is why you see them fuck up time and time again. At most they serve like, 20 seater places. Or do catering. Where they can afford longer wait times and to fuck up occasionally.

He's so harsh on all of them because they are, ostensibly, professionals and he believes firmly that if you call yourself a professional, you should be able to handle the additional load and stress.

A lot of them just break down or don't have the actual talent to carry themselves.

ito007

This reminds me of an episode of Hell's Kitchen where Ramsey asks everyone to present a dish that they made and introduce themselves (it was the beginning of the season). This guy comes up and says something along the lines of "I'm just a line cook" in the intro and Ramsey responds with something like "hey don't say it like that, some of the best chefs start as line cooks." It was probably one of the most genuine and constructive things I've ever heard Ramsey say in that show. I respected him a lot after that.

Quixzlizx

Amazing.

They're also lazy. 90% of the menu is exactly the same from season to season. You'd think that if you were chosen, you'd spend your time before the shoot cooking scallops, risotto, and beef wellington until you have them down cold.

Escargo

I remember they gave him KD mac n cheese from the kids menu and he was like absolutey disgusting. And there i was watching the show while eating kd.

Jenov

Where was the ep of Kitchen Nightmares where the restaurant fed Ramsay a microwaved fish from a box and he actually loved it? His face when he found out was priceless. LOL.

ItIsOkBro

Holy shit I'm watching the Amy episode right now and watching Ramsey's reactions as a crazy starts to creep in is fucking hilarious.

I love how he builds up a friendly repertoire with the server.

Maximo

Holy shit I'm watching the Amy episode right now and watching Ramsey's reactions as a crazy starts to creep in is fucking hilarious.

I love how he builds up a friendly repertoire with the server.

Laugh when he asks her if she wants to try any and she immediately curls back with a hard no.

massoluk

Banned
Then Gordon gave him a hard time and said something that has stuck with me then a forever after. He said that it was "the customers privilege to break their own yolk.". This guy gets it. It's that thinking that got him 3 stars and puts him above all other celebrity chefs.

Haha, amazing quote, there's a professional chef right there

The episode that stuck with me was a burrito joint that was infested with cockroaches and Ramsey has to call exterminator himself, WTF.

LionPride

Banned
This reminds me of an episode of Hell's Kitchen where Ramsey asks everyone to present a dish that they made and introduce themselves (it was the beginning of the season). This guy comes up and says something along the lines of "I'm just a line cook" in the intro and Ramsey responds with something like "hey don't say it like that, some of the best chefs start as line cooks." It was probably one of the most genuine and constructive things I've ever heard Ramsey say in that show. I respected him a lot after that.

He seems to be a very nice gentleman if he sees you care and are trying. Be an egotistical ass or someone who is being complicated as hell (Serving prawns with a spicy chocolate sauce and a dish that is "Like a swinging donkey cock in your face")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom