• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least he has some experience in the industry and from what you described seemingly has a safety net below him. But these morons on Kitchen Nightmares have ranged from Bricklayers to post graduate communal college cooking degree's having not worked a day in the industry.

They have absolutely no idea what they're doing and they drag their families into their financial black holes , what's worse is that almost none of them seem to have basic understanding of Kitchen Hygiene and safety notice how you always find an example of raw meat stored with cooked meat in a low temp walk in, these people generally deserve to fail because they lack the understanding of how cut throat the Restaurant industry is.

He's been in various places in food for 25 years now, so I think it counts for something.

I agree though, I don't understand any of these people who do zero research on these things and expect to magically make it big somehow. Dreams are one thing, but you've gotta have that foundation first!

Bluth54

Absolutely loved Kitchen Nightmares! has there been a new season recently?

Gordon Ramsey decided to end the show. Based on what he posted on his site it sounds like it wasn't cancelled but he didn't have time to do it anymore because he didn't have enough time. Gordon Ramsey is doing a show called Hotel Hell which deals with hotels and their restaurants.

Sheroking

Gordon Ramsay is a character, not a coach or a mentor.

Does he tell his contestants this up front?

Gordon Ramsay is both. He clearly plays it up, especially for his US shows, but you can find footage of him from the late 90's and he's the same ornery, insult-happy chef he always was.

He's much, much less grumpy (or at least, edited to appear less grumpy) on Master Chef and Hotel Hell than US Kitchen Nightmares or Hell's Kitchen.

shamo42

Gordon Ramsey decided to end the show. Based on what he osted on his site it sounds like it wasn't cancelled but he didn't have time to do it anymore because he didn't have enough time. Gordon Ramsey is doing a show called Hotel Hell which deals with hotels and their restaurants.

Ironically the only hotel restaurant where I got sick from the food was Ramsay's in Tokyo. BTW I never got sick from any other food in Tokyo.

Linkura

2011ramsayes_415x588.jpg

My favourite episode, so sad to hear the restaurant closed down

The feels from this episode. ;_; It was so refreshing to see Gordon help a restaurant where the food was actually good from the start and the owners weren't assholes.

sora87

The series he did when he was finding the uks top restaurants and having them go against each other was really good too

Apt101

Another vote for the U.K. Edition. It's amazing TV, overwhelmingly better in every way to the US version. I got hooked on it years ago when it was on US Netflix. It's a real shame they didn't use the same formula for the new shows, but oh well. I am holding out hope that the US F Word will be like the UK version (great show as well, still on Hulu last I checked).

GhaleonEB

I did the same earlier this year. I watched all of them.

Except Amy's Baking Company. I had to skip the middle portion. I just couldn't get through the crazy. I love the finish to it though.

I also like how Gordon mellowed over the course of the series. He really was an asshole early on, at least when going over the food, but the last few seasons he really learned to adjust his approach to who he was dealing with. I remember some episodes where he's dealing with some pretty sad mom and pop places and was really empathetic throughout, never raising his voice.

I was pretty pained when I got through them all.

Edit: and yea, the U.K. shows are vastly superior, though the US one improved in the last couple seasons. The most recent season of Hotel Hell was better as well. The F Word is still the GOAT Ramsay show, though. I have high hopes for the US version given the trajectory of his shows here.

Where do the uncensored clips come from? It's so much better haha.

All the ones they put online are uncensored. I assume they are uncensored in the home video releases after the shows air.

He's absolutely a coach and a mentor. His teaching ability is pretty remarkable, though the US shows rarely highlight them. Watch the UK shows, such as the F Word, or the Cookery Course show. I've learned so much from them.

highrider

Banned

You couldn't be more wrong. In the shows that highlight it I think his mentoring skills are over the top good. There is a character to it, but I look at it like a drill sergeant. It's not who he is, but it's a part of who he is.

What's wrong with this?

There's more than just germs on a floor, like dirt, which is now floating around in the oil waiting to transfer onto the next food item that gets cooked. Want some grit with that? Bit of dog poo, perhaps? Guy not only contaminated that wing, he contaminated that oil too. If I owned that place his ass would have been on the curb before service was done.

Speevy

Banned
To those who just responded to me, when someone makes a mistake, you allow them to learn from that mistake.

As a teacher, let me tell you that people seldom learn from being shouted at.

That's why I said he plays a character. I sincerely hope that's not how people see him when the cameras stop rolling.

Telling someone their food is shit sounds fair enough. Telling them they're a fucking worthless donkey who should never cook again is either theater or the worst way to motivate someone I can think of.

Cooking is a skill that takes practice, and can be learned through love and support. As can leading others, and indeed so can the skill of leading others in high pressure situations. I do it every day. A drill sergeant is teaching you the first steps in how not to get killed. They're not the same thing.

I mean, you're talking about a guy who breaks plate when food isn't salted. I can just see ripping up a student's work because of poor grammar. Life is cruel, but you don't have to be.

I realize that he wouldn't have a show if he was the nicest cook on television. That's part of his appeal. And I have watched him behave kindly to people who weren't competing for him, so I know he's not a dick to everyone. But I'm saying that you don't have to be a dick to anyone to teach them something. You just have to understand how they learn, and what motivates them.

Another vote for the U.K. Edition. It's amazing TV, overwhelmingly better in every way to the US version. I got hooked on it years ago when it was on US Netflix. It's a real shame they didn't use the same formula for the new shows, but oh well. I am holding out hope that the US F Word will be like the UK version (great show as well, still on Hulu last I checked).
Yeah the UK version is a completely different show from the US one. You can actually see the process he takes to identify the weaknesses and find what might work in the area the restaurant is located in.

Lamel

Banned
Because of this thread I'm finally venturing out into more of Gordon's American stuff. Hotel Hell is pretty good, like it splits the difference between his British persona and his more dialed up American one. I'm glad I finally gave this a try thanks to the praise in here!

Masterchef is pretty disappointing, though. I can't stand Hell's Kitchen because everybody on that show is so obviously untalented, they're set up for failure for the sake of entertainment and I don't enjoy watching that.

Masterchef seems to border on the same thing, although not as egregiously so. I don't really enjoy watching people flailing around, trying to make a Chinese-style dish when they clearly have no interest in or knowledge of any style of Chinese food. I've only watched the first few episodes of the first season, does it get any better as it goes? It's disheartening watching accomplished chefs sift through someone's pedestrian-ass stir fry.

I guess I was hoping for Top Chef: Ramsay Edition, and it's not really that at all.

MasterChef gets better as the first few people are kicked out; the talent improves after. The first few seasons of MC are great because it seemed much more genuine than Hell's Kitchen (which has just the trashiest of cooks).

zeemumu

Some of the shows play up the insults and skim over the teaching. I mentioned a ways back that the US Kitchen Nightmares likes to use bomb defusal music on everything he says.

ReAxion

Yeah, they're up-front about it, it just isn't landing with me so far. There have to be some people who treat cooking as a hobby who are a bit better than most of these people in the first season, at least? Like, they let a guy through who didn't salt his mac and cheese in the audition phase.

I don't remember the first season but i think it gets closer to Top Chef (an amateur version) as it has gone on. I mean, seasoning is a problem across all the cooking shows at some point yknow?

Esiquio

Yo....holy crap, I love Kitchen Nightmares but I've never seen this particular episode. Good Lord, I could not believe what I was watching, it was the craziest shit. I think even the people here who think that the American version is scripted or at least played up can see that there was zero need to inject drama, they're just THAT insane.

Return to Amy's Baking Company (Season 7, Episode 1) <--- Currently watching that now

I was hooked from the very first episode I saw, loved his way of speaking. Then I saw Hell's Kitchen and loved him barking at the "contestants" but also some of the patrons eating the meals.

GhaleonEB

To those who just responded to me, when someone makes a mistake, you allow them to learn from that mistake.

That's why I said he plays a character. I sincerely hope that's not how people see him when the cameras stop rolling.

Telling someone their food is shit sounds fair enough. Telling them they're a fucking worthless donkey who should never cook again is either theater or the worst way to motivate someone I can think of.

Cooking is a skill that takes practice, and can be learned through love and support. As can leading others, and indeed so can the skill of leading others in high pressure situations. I do it every day. A drill sergeant is teaching you the first steps in how not to get killed. They're not the same thing.

I mean, you're talking about a guy who breaks plate when food isn't salted. I can just see ripping up a student's work because of poor grammar. Life is cruel, but you don't have to be.

I realize that he wouldn't have a show if he was the nicest cook on television. That's part of his appeal. And I have watched him behave kindly to people who weren't competing for him, so I know he's not a dick to everyone. But I'm saying that you don't have to be a dick to anyone to teach them something. You just have to understand how they learn, and what motivates them.
I think you've seen just one aspect of Ramsay, from the unfortunately hyperbolic US shows. In Kitchen Nightmare's he'd typically spend one of his days teaching the staff, though you only see glimpses of that in the show, as the US one is about the drama, for which he does play a bit of a character. For part of one US show. Watch a UK episode, or how he handles a newbie brigade in the F Word, or any of his cooking videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxCbTMKQZLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1K6vg7ODg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6PhPBMNgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

LionPride

Banned

So your judging him and his methods based off of an admittedly hyperbolic portrayal on US TV likely because Simon Cowell was the fucking shit to Americans and he portrayed an asshole.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Yo....holy crap, I love Kitchen Nightmares but I've never seen this particular episode. Good Lord, I could not believe what I was watching, it was the craziest shit. I think even the people here who think that the American version is scripted or at least played up can see that there was zero need to inject drama, they're just THAT insane.

Return to Amy's Baking Company (Season 7, Episode 1) <--- Currently watching that now

That episode, for me, is the most real of the US version and it's definitely my favourite overall. You can really see the craziness in her eyes.
I prefer the UK version, however, just because it feels like a documentary rather than a reality show and Gordon himself narrates it.

Nordicus

But it's staggering how SO MANY "professional chefs" can't handle cooking a fucking scallop on a line to order. His active and clear contempt for "executive chefs" who can't cook is the only reason I still watch lol. It's cathartic.
And then there's the people who can't even get a pancake right.
They're also lazy. 90% of the menu is exactly the same from season to season. You'd think that if you were chosen, you'd spend your time before the shoot cooking scallops, risotto, and beef wellington until you have them down cold.
That too. The previous season menus are pretty much a cheat sheet and people refuse to learn.

Let's add salmon on that list as well
But I'm saying that you don't have to be a dick to anyone to teach them something. You just have to understand how they learn, and what motivates them.
But Ramsay's not exactly teaching in Hell's Kitchen, is he? He's stress testing the contestants' performance on things that should already be routine.

kirblar

Hell's Kitchen deliberately casts awful chefs. They will actually tell you you're too good if they pass on you for that reason.

Syder

The British version was amazing and seemed genuine. The American version is the same shit every episode that feels masssivlt scripted.
The worst thing is the American Ramsey copycats seem to be aping on how the American version is presented.
So they're a knock-off of a knock-off.
KuGsj.gif

Original series is fantastic.

Bluth54

The worst thing is the American Ramsey copycats seem to be aping on how the American version is presented.
So they're a knock-off of a knock-off.
KuGsj.gif

Original series is fantastic.

Watch The Profit if you want to watch a show that's similar to the British original (but with a focus on all types of businesses not just restaurants).

yeah the english version is definitely better, but i still enjoy the american version because ramsay is always on point.

hell's kitchen too.

UK series is so good, it's almost like a genuine drama show. Every episode feels like its own thing, whereas the template editing of the American one (coupled with the awful voice over and music) makes it feel like something akin to MTV.

The best episode that Ramsay has ever done in any of his shows. Even better than the former Marine who "ain't your bitch" episode of Hell's Kitchen.

Right? It was insanity from start to finish. I also prefer the UK version, but I can't think of any other reality show that produced something like that. Such a beautiful train wreck.

In terms of how good the episode was very true, also she actually has another business and seems active enough on social media.

That's what made it so good, too. The fact that she was super organized, the kitchen was well ordered, her desserts were top notch, the restaurant was clean... It was such a departure from the usual places he goes to. And then when you find out why the place is actually failing... Wow. Just wow.

In my top 10 episodes of all time for any show.

Edit: rewatching right now. 5 mins in and its already god tier.

I too have turned to re-watching that episode when the night is cold and friendless. :D

JoeNut

Oh i just remembered my favourite one, which was these 2 fat guys (think they were brothers) who ran a pizza shop, they were so incompetent that they couldn't even clean the oven properly,

I've just found the link to the whole episode which is apparently called capri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19pnrq5np0

i remember crying with laughter at this one

Nordicus

But for instance, the Mama Rita's episode I watched yesterday; lady had a successful catering business then started a restaurant, ran it like a catering business (a year's worth of pre-assembled chimichangas in the freezer) and naturally it was terrible. Her "head chef" couldn't cook on a line, she just microwaved shit and assembled things out of prep trays.
That little surprise cook-off was something else.

The owner actually coped well with 30min time limit, while head chef Perla took 15 minutes to get the idea of chicken breast with garlic and salt, I was like, how do you even feed yourself??? Head chef of a mexican restaurant, and your dish ends up simple and flavorless. How the fuck.

One of the most interesting episodes of the UK series was when he went to a high-end French restaurant in Scotland where even Gordon described the chefs as a culinary dream team and they were using top ingredients. Their problem was that they were too good.

They were serving incredibly elaborate and complex French dishes in an area that just didn't have a market for it. It was the first head chef gig for the chef there, and Gordon said that many young chefs like this one who came from top restaurants and were now on their own would often try to outdo their last restaurant.

Gordon then secretly brought in a reviewer and had a cook-off with the chef there. They both made a grilled scallop dish. The chef there made this incredibly complicated dish with about 18 different items on the dish. Gordon's was much more simple but elegant. The reviewer told the chef that his dish was good but not world-class good but Gordon's knocked it out of the park. The chef didn't take it well.

But the thing that really stood out was Gordon telling them about his own failure where he closed his restaurant in his own hometown. They started well but he made things more and more complex to the point that the locals gave up on the place as they wanted simpler and more familiar fare. He saw them on the same trajectory.

kirblar

One of the most interesting episodes of the UK series was when he went to a high-end French restaurant in Scotland where even Gordon described the chefs as a culinary dream team and they were using top ingredients. Their problem was that they were too good.

They were serving incredibly elaborate and complex French dishes in an area that just didn't have a market for it. It was the first head chef gig for the chef there, and Gordon said that many young chefs like this one who came from top restaurants and were now on their own would often try to outdo their last restaurant.

Gordon then secretly brought in a reviewer and had a cook-off with the chef there. They both made a grilled scallop dish. The chef there made this incredibly complicated dish with about 18 different items on the dish. Gordon's was much more simple but elegant. The reviewer told the chef that his dish was good but not world-class good but Gordon's knocked it out of the park. The chef didn't take it well.

But the thing that really stood out was Gordon telling them about his own failure where he closed his restaurant in his own hometown. They started well but he made things more and more complex to the point that the locals gave up on the place as they wanted simpler and more familiar fare. He saw them on the same trajectory.
Kitchen Nightmares was always at its core a show about business. It's why the UK version and The Profit in the US are both so compelling and share so much of the same DNA.

sora87

I can't believe channel 4 have blocked the second season of great escape on youtube and don't even have it on all4, cunts

Hero

Gordon is great, although his US shows can vary from meh to great. MasterChef peaked with season 3 and it's been on a downhill slope every since. Still watch it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom