• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZeroRay said:
So you don't even count standard models as virtual cars? :lol
Of course not. They don't have a cockpit and how do you drive a car without a cockpit? By sitting on the roof? :p I see them a cheap models you can collect, but that's it.

dronde

Neo Member
Where, How can I get the same deal as you.
Full Recovery said:
Just got a great deal on a G27 :D Thanks viakado!

Now I need to visit the local scrapyard and find me a nice seat, home made stand ftw!

commedieu

Banned
Carlisle said:
So uh...

I just got back from Gamestop in an attempt to preorder. Here is a brief transcript of my conversation with the store clerk.

Me: "Hey, I'd like to put down a preorder for Gran Turismo 5...."

Clerk: Ok.... [types types types]

Me: "....... for PS3"

Clerk: "Oh PS3? Ok. [types types types] Well I'm not seeing it in the system at all. I think it got pushed back."

Me: "Huh... well, I know it got pushed back a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's out next week. It says so on your website even."

Clerk: "Hmm, yeah I'm not seeing it. Believe me, I want to see it in here... I'd love to sell you a preorder, but it's just not in here. And that usually means there's no official street date or it's been pushed back again. I mean even Gears of War 3 is in here, but no Gran Turismo. Sorry man, I can't help you."

Me: "Oh... well ok thanks anyway"

This was right after I told the sales guy on the floor that I intended to preorder GT5 and he enthusiastically talked me into doing it right away cause "preorders are flying off the shelf."

So after stifling a mild bout of hysteria, I thought it through and determined that either he's an idiot, Gamestop is an idiot, my Gamestop isn't getting GT5 which makes them another idiot, or the least likely scenario: no one's an idiot and the clerk was right and we've all been duped again, in which case Sony's an idiot.

Anyone else get this from GS? I swear I've never had a pleasant preorder experience with them, something always goes wrong or I get screwed or it doesn't take or something. Thought I'd give it one more shot after years of avoiding it and I get this. Lesson learned.

I still wanna preorder GT5 though :(

I walk into the target across the street, and buy it without the smug attitude of the 14 year old @ GS.

Alucrid

Banned
Carlisle said:
So uh...

I just got back from Gamestop in an attempt to preorder. Here is a brief transcript of my conversation with the store clerk.

Me: "Hey, I'd like to put down a preorder for Gran Turismo 5...."

Clerk: Ok.... [types types types]

Me: "....... for PS3"

Clerk: "Oh PS3? Ok. [types types types] Well I'm not seeing it in the system at all. I think it got pushed back."

Me: "Huh... well, I know it got pushed back a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's out next week. It says so on your website even."

Clerk: "Hmm, yeah I'm not seeing it. Believe me, I want to see it in here... I'd love to sell you a preorder, but it's just not in here. And that usually means there's no official street date or it's been pushed back again. I mean even Gears of War 3 is in here, but no Gran Turismo. Sorry man, I can't help you."

Me: "Oh... well ok thanks anyway"

This was right after I told the sales guy on the floor that I intended to preorder GT5 and he enthusiastically talked me into doing it right away cause "preorders are flying off the shelf."

So after stifling a mild bout of hysteria, I thought it through and determined that either he's an idiot, Gamestop is an idiot, my Gamestop isn't getting GT5 which makes them another idiot, or the least likely scenario: no one's an idiot and the clerk was right and we've all been duped again, in which case Sony's an idiot.

Anyone else get this from GS? I swear I've never had a pleasant preorder experience with them, something always goes wrong or I get screwed or it doesn't take or something. Thought I'd give it one more shot after years of avoiding it and I get this. Lesson learned.

I still wanna preorder GT5 though :(

That's when I whip out my smartphone and be a smug dick about it.

Melfice7

2q0r7tc.jpg

my crappy yet effective and comfy setup (use my pc chair)

YagizY

This game doesn't have either of the cars that I have owned, I am definitely not buying it. How come these gems aren't on the car list?

95 Honda Accord
99 Mercury Grand Marquis

These are performance vehicles DAMMIT!

lucius

Weird the gamestop I preordered at had a hard time finding it also, he actually got help from someone else to find it but I was able to preorder it.

I never cared that much about damage but if that's what some people like more power to them.

chifanpoe

chifanpoe said:
I have a nice gaming setup(60inch Sony SXRD, 7.2 THX Ultra 2, Movie Room).

However I will also be using a 4 year old driving force pro on a home made wooden stand. It is rickety as shit and terrible looking but it is still somewhat functional.

My wife would kill me if I told her I needed a $250+ wheel and a custom stand for it ;)

Here is a crappy cell phone shot of my jank-o home made wheel stand and driving force pro

photo2.jpg

chifanpoe

reilo said:
Yea not sure what's going on in that picture at all. This is a replay photo of a first-gen Miata in GT4:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/791916847_90d3992496_z.jpg[/IMG]
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1043/791916861_b9e2d8a575_z.jpg[/IMG]

Higher-res at the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48625620@N00/791916861/sizes/z/in/photostream/

That's gotta be some messed up bug where the textures didn't load or something.

Those look great to me!

gogogow

Wow, why even bother if it ends up looking like that? They seriously needed to hire external modelers to help them model cars and let the PD guys have the last word, fixing/correcting stuff etc. These standard cars just look sad. I have seriously no idea who would've wanted to drive these cars. 1000 cars!!, just for a bullet point.

edit: yeah, lod level, still they should've gone for 400-500 cars with the help of external modelers.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
img0697x.jpg

:lol
(It seems to be a LOD level)
Jett will not be pleased by this.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I wonder if they installed the optional 10GB and if that would get rid of the problem.

YagizY said:
This game doesn't have either of the cars that I have owned, I am definitely not buying it. How come these gems aren't on the car list?

95 Honda Accord
99 Mercury Grand Marquis

There are performance vehicles DAMMIT!
im pretty sure lawn mowers arent allowed on tracks.

CozMick

Banned
Shit! Play.com won't accept my card :(

Looks like the GAME pre-order is here to stay.

That's it then, I will have to resort to this........................

If anyone has a "spare" UK pre-order code I will exchange you for a damn game, YES! a damn game. specifically a choice between Medal of Honor, MAG and Sports Champion. :lol

I'll even pay for the bloody postage.

I hope I can get away with pretending the standard cars don't exist. Hopefully we're not forced to drive them (for trophies, license tests, challenges, whatever).

Metalmurphy said:
Where's that?

GTP guys are suggesting Melbourne.

CozMick said:
Shit! Play.com won't accept my card :(

Looks like the GAME pre-order is here to stay.

That's it then, I will have to resort to this........................

If anyone has a "spare" UK pre-order code I will exchange you for a damn game, YES! a damn game. specifically a choice between Medal of Honor, MAG and Sports Champion. :lol

I'll even pay for the bloody postage.

What do you mean by a "pre-order code"? Just preorder at shopto. net, they are still taking pre-orders and will ship your game by Monday. And send me that MoH. :lol

Lagspike_exe said:
What do you mean by a "pre-order code"? Just preorder at ***********, they are still taking pre-orders and will ship your game by Monday. And send me that MoH. :lol

I'm guessing that was shopto. They don't have the CE unfortunately :/

NullPointer said:
I hope I can get away with pretending the standard cars don't exist. Hopefully we're not forced to drive them (for trophies, license tests, challenges, whatever).

amar said that license tests are done in premium cars and you can buy premium cars at entry level also. So you're never forced to drive a standard car if you don't want to.

YagizY

viakado said:
im pretty sure lawn mowers arent allowed on tracks.

Since GT aims for realism they would have to make sure that steering wheel begins to vibrate violently once I go past 85mph.

Also towards the end of the life of the car I would have to get out of the car sometimes and hit the fan with the handle of the broomstick for it to kick back in.

Loudninja

gogogow said:
Wow, why even bother if it ends up looking like that? They seriously needed to hire external modelers to help them model cars and let the PD guys have the last word, fixing/correcting stuff etc. These standard cars just look sad. I have seriously no idea who would've wanted to drive these cars. 1000 cars!!, just for a bullet point.

edit: yeah, lod level, still they should've gone for 400-500 cars with the help of external modelers.
I am sick of people saying this really.

SolidSnakex said:
amar said that license tests are done in premium cars and you can buy premium cars at entry level also. So you're never forced to drive a standard car if you don't want to.
:) 100% cockpit view for the win. Thanks.

CozMick

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
What do you mean by a "pre-order code"? Just preorder at shopto. net, they are still taking pre-orders and will ship your game by Monday. And send me that MoH. :lol

Amazon.co.uk and Play.com are offering 2 stealth cars as pre-order bonuses.

Amazon have stopped taking orders and my card is borked on Play :(

CozMick said:
Amazon.co.uk and Play.com are offering 2 stealth cars as pre-order bonuses.

Amazon have stopped taking orders and my card is borked on Play :(

Try eBay on release day if no-one here has some spare codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom