• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFRA

I'm gonna have to stop checking this thread until release date.

It's getting more and more unbearable to wait now that fellow Gaffers are starting to get the game too.

D: oh the humanity!!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
railGUN said:
Did they take down the GT5 Prologue demo from the Japanese PSN Store?

They took the GT5 demo down EVERYWHERE a LOOOOOONG time ago. Like two years ago now.

lucius

So I preordered from Gamestop, do I get free stealth car and other car when I pick up the game in a code or what? Sorry if this has been answered already I forgot to ask the guy at the store.

Melfice7

fna84 said:
How was the online in GT4?

Any lag or was it smooth?

15o6jxv.gif

but if you mean the closed beta, i dunno :D

gtmax

I don't trust Amar to review the game objectively. He is so giddy over the game that its impossible for him to give an objective review. He is good at telling what the game has in terms of features, but i only care about how the cars drive and i don't think that he is capable of pointing out any shortcomings, if there were any, about the physics.

A lot people put physics secondary to graphics/replays when it comes to GT. After 4 it was unplayable to me. Prologue was great before the last couple of updates messed it up.

Doesn't matter at this point though, since the game is coming out soon and I'll get to see for myself.

Metalmurphy said:
You can. You shoot your camera.
pew pew pew. Not bad, but CozMick was better.

Anyway, is the DLC always region locked? Can I buy the US version of the game and then buy the DLC in one of the European PSN stores? Would it work? And how about online?

brotkasten said:
pew pew pew. Not bad, but CozMick was better.

Anyway, is the DLC always region locked? Can I buy the US version of the game and then buy the DLC in one of the European PSN stores?

Yeah, always locked.

Zoink said:
SWEET JEEZIS SO CLOSE

Capture.PNG

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
Damn! They only ship the CE to the UK! I'm going mad here!

lucius

Fallout-NL said:
Is there anyone in here at all who plans on playing with a regular controller?

I will play on a regular controller, all the games in the series play great with it so don't think that will change. I wish I had the room/funds for a wheel setup up though, some people have awesome setups.

Yoboman

They should have a part of the game called C-spec, where you play the harrowing tale of the cameraman who runs out in front of your car on Grand Canyon road. They can implement crazy dodging mechanics and all the camera features of photomode, and even online features where you have to dodge traffic and get behind the invisible barrier first as players try their best to run you over

Rflagg

chifanpoe said:
I live in the States, Washington State to be exact, and no one here has received their copies yet nor would sell it early if they had :(
People form Washington state are the best, but I also place my odds at getting this early at roughly 0.05%. I just hope that I get my amazon delivery on release day, and that ups or whomever comes to my house fairly early.

lucius said:
I will play on a regular controller, all the games in the series play great with it so don't think that will change. I wish I had the room/funds for a wheel setup up though, some people have awesome setups.

Same here. I'm waiting to get the game to see how 'into it' I get before splashing out on a wheel. Got some work in though so if I did want one, I could get it :D

Fixed1979

Patrick Bateman said:
Arr, to buy a driving wheel or not to buy one? I don't even have a stand or table for it. :(

Unless you have something sturdy to lock it onto it will be more trouble then it's worth.

DodgerSan

Hopefully someone can tackle this one without getting into a console war. (I have 360 & PS3, love both).

I'm a casual racing player. Pad all the way for me, I'm sure wheel is better, but I can't justify the investment.

So can anyone paying on dualshock say how it feels? This is an ephemeral thing, and I can't really quantify it. With Prologue and Forza 2, Prologue always felt a bit "slidey/floaty", whilst Forza 2 felt more "real". Forza 3 continued this feeling and I wondered how GT5 is.

Anyone get what I mean?

spats

Patrick Bateman said:
Arr, to buy a driving wheel or not to buy one? I don't even have a stand or table for it. :(

A wheel isn't a necessity by any means. If you don't have a table for it, playing with a pad works absolutely fine.

h3ro

Fallout-NL said:
Is there anyone in here at all who plans on playing with a regular controller?

I'm gonna play on a wired 360 controller via a converter I picked up to use my arcade sticks on PS3. :D

noire

Unconfirmed Member
DodgerSan said:
Hopefully someone can tackle this one without getting into a console war. (I have 360 & PS3, love both).

I'm a casual racing player. Pad all the way for me, I'm sure wheel is better, but I can't justify the investment.

So can anyone paying on dualshock say how it feels? This is an ephemeral thing, and I can't really quantify it. With Prologue and Forza 2, Prologue always felt a bit "slidey/floaty", whilst Forza 2 felt more "real". Forza 3 continued this feeling and I wondered how GT5 is.

Anyone get what I mean?

It's likely personal preference, but I'm in the same boat. I prefer Forza's physics and GT's graphics.

Supposedly the physics in GT5 have been improved over prologue, but there are still some videos of cars catching more air than they seemingly should, so I have a feeling it's still pretty similar in terms of the feeling of weight.

ZeroRay

Gonna have to stick with the dualshock for a while.

Won't have the disposable income for a wheel and stand until after I buy an actual car. :lol

ZeroRay said:
Gonna have to stick with the dualshock for a while.

Won't have the disposable income for a wheel and stand until after I buy an actual car. :lol
Who needs a real car, if you can drive 200 virtual cars!

evolution

noire said:
It's likely personal preference, but I'm in the same boat. I prefer Forza's physics and GT's graphics.

Supposedly the physics in GT5 have been improved over prologue, but there are still some videos of cars catching more air than they seemingly should, so I have a feeling it's still pretty similar in terms of the feeling of weight.
I don't have the full game, but even in the demo i played today the physics are much different from prolouge.

DodgerSan said:

Anyone get what I mean?

There's a new driving aid called Slide Recovery Force (which takes the place of standard physics), that might help make the handling feel less 'twitchy' with a pad.
You'll probably have to wait until its out in a wild before you get detailed impressions.

BradleyUK

Retailer ShopTo has told IncGamers it has asked its staff to work throughout this weekend as it prepares to send out orders for what it has described as ‘our biggest ever pre-order’.

The online store, which previously told IncGamers it has seen pre-orders ‘go through the roof’, said today: “Our first consignment of Gran Turismo 5 will be arriving at our warehouse Saturday morning”.

Speaking to IncGamers, ShopTo’s Phil Driver said GT5: “Will be our biggest PS3 game of the year, we are still taking more pre-orders every day at the moment, it also looks like it might be our biggest every pre-order.

“We are very confident that we can fulfill all orders for release day. All our warehouse staff are coming in over the weekend and working double shifts.”

Driver also confirmed that the retailer’s warehouse staff will be working solely on GT5 this weekend, stating: “Over the weekend they will only be working on GT5.”

Source

Carlisle

So uh...

I just got back from Gamestop in an attempt to preorder. Here is a brief transcript of my conversation with the store clerk.

Me: "Hey, I'd like to put down a preorder for Gran Turismo 5...."

Clerk: Ok.... [types types types]

Me: "....... for PS3"

Clerk: "Oh PS3? Ok. [types types types] Well I'm not seeing it in the system at all. I think it got pushed back."

Me: "Huh... well, I know it got pushed back a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's out next week. It says so on your website even."

Clerk: "Hmm, yeah I'm not seeing it. Believe me, I want to see it in here... I'd love to sell you a preorder, but it's just not in here. And that usually means there's no official street date or it's been pushed back again. I mean even Gears of War 3 is in here, but no Gran Turismo. Sorry man, I can't help you."

Me: "Oh... well ok thanks anyway"

This was right after I told the sales guy on the floor that I intended to preorder GT5 and he enthusiastically talked me into doing it right away cause "preorders are flying off the shelf."

So after stifling a mild bout of hysteria, I thought it through and determined that either he's an idiot, Gamestop is an idiot, my Gamestop isn't getting GT5 which makes them another idiot, or the least likely scenario: no one's an idiot and the clerk was right and we've all been duped again, in which case Sony's an idiot.

Anyone else get this from GS? I swear I've never had a pleasant preorder experience with them, something always goes wrong or I get screwed or it doesn't take or something. Thought I'd give it one more shot after years of avoiding it and I get this. Lesson learned.

I still wanna preorder GT5 though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom