• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Very cool screens shots. Just makes me think how cool Orr must have been before it sank.

Better yet, this is the part of Cursed Shore that I thought we couldn't get to. It's south of the Gates of Arah but north of the curved area that only serves to annoy people mining orichalcum.

Retro

I have to say, much as I'm loving everything else about the feature patch, I really don't like the new traits system.

Trait unlocks should be akin to skill challenges, preferably tied to the theme of the trait you wish to unlock (i.e. a Defensive trait should require you to defend something, a trait for fall damage should be a mini-JP).

Finally getting around to this. Awesome time to jump in with the sale. Downloading right now. Trying to figure out what to play first, leaning towards a Ranger.

A couple months ago, I would have said "Eh, Ranger is fun, but..." Now that I've played with one a bit and gotten past / learned to minimize the things I didn't like, it's actually a really enjoyable profession. Warrior and Guardian are also good professions to start with.

Gothos

Took part in my first guild challenge - didn't receive reward chest (event was completed succesfuly, got xp, etc.) *sad panda* :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Took part in my first guild challenge - didn't receive reward chest (event was completed succesfuly, got xp, etc.) *sad panda* :(
Just to piggyback on Miktar's line of thinking, dumb question, but you're in the guild that activated the challenge, right?

F Team either has a stalker or found his long lost daughter.

j235gCX.jpg

Dv927ER.jpg

Proven

^^^ That's cool.

I forgot to mention it last week, but WoW went on sale at the same time as GW2 this month and once I noticed that I realized it's because colleges are letting out this month.

Dagger/focus is one set I just have not played with, maybe even a single time. Gotta try it. Still haven't finished kitting out my ele's second two armor sets. Feel like gearing up my Engi first though, kinda.

I definitely didn't expect to like as many classes in this game as much as I do.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised that I'm going for a third class, but knowing that you can very easily get near-best in slot gear for very cheap, and that trying out different play styles with the same class is always possible really incentivizes you to go ahead with your alts.

Plus, y'know, badge of honor rewards are static, so why throw all that EotM xp away? >__>

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
25 for 1650.
who could possibly resist -_-
Oh, I need to guest to their world to receive the reward for those events? And yes, ofc I did represent :p

Yes :)
It could be the guesting thing. It's really a bug, but it seems like for the moment if you aren't on the same home server as the guild you do need to guest to their world.

That sucks though! Which challenge was it?

Dunno if the times are convenient for you but definitely feel free to check ours out on Sat. and Sun. if so.

Gothos

who could possibly resist -_-

It could be the guesting thing. It's really a bug, but it seems like for the moment if you aren't on the same home server as the guild you do need to guest to their world.

That sucks though! Which challenge was it?

Dunno if the times are convenient for you but definitely feel free to check ours out on Sat. and Sun. if so.

Good to know. I wish I could join GAF crowd but I'm in Euro zone, so I wouldn't be able to guest even if I wanted :p Looking for a guild on Underworld now but as I see it won't be that easy :<

CrimsonN0

Bah, I'm just going to assume authenticating my ip address change is fine.
Don't know why it suddenly changed, but according to Anet emails and tons of IP check sites the number matches up.
Location is more iffy, as Anet and half the IP sites are saying I'm in California while a few correctly locate me in Michigan.

Bah, I'm just going to assume authenticating my ip address change is fine.
Don't know why it suddenly changed, but according to Anet emails and tons of IP check sites the number matches up.
Location is more iffy, as Anet and half the IP sites are saying I'm in California while a few correctly locate me in Michigan.
Maybe it has something to with how your provider routes data to you. For all you know data could be passing through a server in Cali before it reaches you so ANET thinks it's from Cali.

I'm not sure I'd say treated is the word. Subjected yourself maybe.

But I can't talk, I'm a sucker for that awful BLC RNG despite rarely ever having it go in my favor.

I like supporting Anet, but there's nothing on the store I want right now, so the BLC is a decent alternative. You never know, I might get lucky like my friend and get a Permanent Black Lion Trader contract, which he sold for almost 1000g.

A man can dream.

Picked this up the other day, really enjoying it so far. Playing as a mesmer on Stormbluff Isle.

Could I please get an invite to the GAF guild? Name is: Life Of Hayden.3894

CrimsonN0

Maybe it has something to with how your provider routes data to you. For all you know data could be passing through a server in Cali before it reaches you so ANET thinks it's from Cali.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've concluded from looking around.
Ah, well, I just authenticated it so hopefully everythings okay.

I'm new. Are these worth buying for the future? They open chests right?

You have to be super lucky to get anything good so I've never really bothered to buy them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm new. Are these worth buying for the future? They open chests right?
I got 4 chests and I'm at lvl30, but...

You have to be super lucky to get anything good so I've never really bothered to buy them.
...I got a key for one and the contents were nothing special. I'm also spoiled by Diablo 3 actually giving me equipment for my class, so it seems even worse.

Karma traders have had the best stuff so far, stuff that is still good like 8 levels later. So until it's so late-game you can't get upgrades that way, I wouldn't worry about a game of chance with chests, and at that point I assume there will be better options.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
black lion chests dont contain gear at all. Its all convenience and cosmetic stuff, including some of the rarest in the game. Horrible rng though, don't recommend it unless youre a glutton for punishment

Black Lion Chests are lucky packets, basically, that can only contain Boosters, Services, Consumables, Backpacks, Miniatures, Tonics, and Everlasting items.

From a single chest, you'll always get three things: one or more boosters, and then something from the other categories, like Services (Bank Access Express, Instant Repair Canisters, etc), Consumables (Black Lion Keys, Salvage Kits, Communal Bonfires, Luck, etc), or things like the Quaggan backpacks, Minis, or Tonics.

The *really rare really valuable* stuff are the Permanent Bank, Black Lion, or Trading Post Contracts. If you ever get one of those, you hit gold.

When I buy the Black Lion Keys, I'm doing it primarily to support ArenaNet. They've never asked me for any money after buying their game, and I respect that. The stuff you get out of the chests can be handy. Revive Orbs are very useful, Repair Cannisters can save your bacon in Fractals, and so on - so I see them mostly as 'nice things', but none of it is critical in any way.

Getting a Self-Style Hair Kit or Total Makeover Kit is nice though, since it gives you access to the extra faces and hair colours you can't get during usual character creation.

Retro

Mumble has been down for almost two hours and our host is just giving me this completely useless "Status: Unknown" message. I let Ferny know, but there's nothing he can do either since this is constantly happening and they constantly claim there's no record of the downtime even though we've submitted screenshot after screenshot of the damn thing being down.

So, sorry there's no Mumble tonight, not like we wanted it for anything on the weekend or anything. We've already decided we'll be looking for a new host as soon as the money we've put into this one runs out.

Edit: Gonna start working on OT4 tomorrow, gimmie dem titles folks. Less in-jokey, if possible.

|OT4| You could run faster than a centaur.
|OT4| A paradise for explorers and thrill-seekers alike.
|OT4| Subscriptions? Where we're going, we don't need subscriptions.
|OT4| Jump in, there's something in the water.
|OT4| Working as intended.
|OT4| A different kind of MMORPG.

I got nothing.

:( Another negative thread about GW2 in the Gaming Discussion... I'm a sad sad panda... :(

It's okay, the game's still awesome even if some people don't like it. The article itself does raise a few valid points, some I agree with, so no real issue there. Opinions gonna opinion.

3csVpb2.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
|OT4| Helping NPCs fight off various local hostiles

Basically the whole game, it seems.
fite me!

Retro

:( Another negative thread about GW2 in the Gaming Discussion... I'm a sad sad panda... :(

Anything that inspires so much hate must be doing something right. The actual article linked is basically "Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 1, and I don't like that!"

Seriously, their bullet points:
- I want Cantha! Expansion Expansion Expansion! GIMMIE!
- There's no Upscaling, even though they upscale you for WvW, PvP, and all Living Story Content. But nope, they totally don't upscale you.
- There are no Henchmen or Heroes, even though that totally wouldn't work in this game.
- I want more dungeons I won't ever run because they're not COF1.
- OMG, there's a RNG-based item in the gemstore!
- I can't sort the TP!
- Housing was not "promised."

Those all strike me as minor complaints besides the dungeon one, and I have a hard time giving them even that considering TA Aetherpath was added, run for a month, and then promptly forgotten even though it's a fantastic bit of dungeonry. Some of them (Henchmen? Really?) are complete non-issues, conjured up because Guild Wars 2 is not GW1.

Why this merited an entirely new thread, I'm not sure; it's not even news, it's an opinion piece.

Edit: Gonna start working on OT4 tomorrow, gimmie dem titles folks. Less in-jokey, if possible.
Guild Wars 2|OT4|No subscriptions. What savings!

Guild Wars 2|OT4|Guild Wardrobes 2

Guild Wars 2|OT4|No trinity, no subscription, no going back.

Guild Wars 2|OT4|Where the boss train never stops.

Guild Wars 2|OT4|Over 3 million customers megaserved

Mumble has been down for almost two hours and our host is just giving me this completely useless "Status: Unknown" message. I let Ferny know, but there's nothing he can do either since this is constantly happening and they constantly claim there's no record of the downtime even though we've submitted screenshot after screenshot of the damn thing being down.

So, sorry there's no Mumble tonight, not like we wanted it for anything on the weekend or anything. We've already decided we'll be looking for a new host as soon as the money we've put into this one runs out.

As a stopgap measure, we do have a GAF channel in the SBI Teamspeak that we can use.

Mxrz

I dunno. I expect some form of heroes will be added eventually for instanced content like dungeons & whatever the future personal story is. If nothing else, they could sell hero clothing on the gem store and make bank.

The Cantha thing will always be funny. Least played content in the old game. Lots of rage when it was released. Still suspect the people clamoring for it have some vague delusion of anime inspired ninja and samurai, and not hoards of fucking exploding zombies, sewers, and confusing maps.

But I'd drop $50 for a GW2 version of Fort Aspenwood. GW2 will forever be inferior with its lack of charismatic Siege Turtles.

Dries

Hey guys, I haven't played GW2 for a while and just recently booted it up. It seems as though my performance has dratically decreased! Where I would usually have 45 FPS I'm stuck at 35 FPS now. Has there been some kind of graphical upgrade that I'm not aware of?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I saw this in dulfy

cliffside-arms-seal-strat.jpg

Why are people making it hard for themselves? Why not simply go back and forth with coordination?

Proven

Do the number of cultists go up in higher difficulties?

It's more about how much harder they hit on higher levels, their extra health, and (I think) agony. The intended strategy starts to have a decently high failure rate when it takes longer to go through their health and they like to drop AoEs at you. Like many other things in the game, it's much easier to have them come at you single file and slightly out of line of sight so you can pick them off easier while they won't even drop an AoE skill until they get that line of sight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom